Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Koalas March posted:

Actually iirc, it was an analogue to civil rights with Professor X being the MLK figure and Magneto being his Malcolm X. It has evolved over time with the country and social justice issues, so you're not wrong but I think it's problematic to leave out the impact the civil rights movement had.

Garland won't withdraw because he wants to be a justice, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Could I have a link to the debate thread? I can't find it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

That's implying that evangelicals have read and/or give a poo poo about the text of the Bible

In my experience evangelicals tend to know the text of the bible much better than Catholics. Their skill in exegesis tends to be much worse, but they certainly know the words.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

What's this about wiki leaks? Anything in there? I know trumps world is imploding but I'm worried about this other thing.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

How do you think Clinton will deal with the speech transcripts? I know this thread isn't worried about them but I think they're really and. If Trump hadn't chosen Friday to melt down I think it would be a real problem, and it still might.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Michael Jackson
Roger Ailes
Bill Cosby
Jimmy Saville

Wait what did Michael Jackson do?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Many people believe he raped children.

Not guilty motherfucker.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

:lol:

I'll grant that this is probably the safe bet in the absence of any other info, but that's unfortunately a hard sell for a lot of people out there and my desire for info is more for others to refer to than for myself.

That's too bad because it's empirically true that party identification voting increases voter literacy.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

speng31b posted:

Wait, was there ever any doubt?

Careful you'll wake up all the idiots who don't understand what's bad about a billionaire abusing the legal system to destroy a news outlet that reports things he doesn't like.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

How much play is this firebomb thing getting?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/788029443935727616
This is starting to pick up a little steam. Trump tweeted about it too.

This is the sort of thing that could harm Clinton. Like many such things though it's actually nothing.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

the Ecuadorian ambassador timidly knocks at the linen closet door and asks if Julian could maybe stop screaming "kikes!" into his headset at 3am

The Ecuadorian ambassador doesn't live at the embassy because he is a real person with a real job. Assange does live there because otherwise, I remind you, he would be arrested by British authorities in connection with pending sexual assault charges he faces in Sweden.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

What about this IBD/TIPP poll that shows 1 slight Trump lead? I worry about it because the IBD/TIPP poll has been unusually accurate in past cycles.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I really hope they renamed peachy Paterno instead of just discontinuing it because it is delicious.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Maybe we could talk about politics instead of arguing about abortion? Maybe we could talk about Trump's statements today? I think they'll be enough to persuade republicans not to make a fuss and will generally prevent last night from hurting him much.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Abortion is politics. If you think it isn't you're either a man or an rear end in a top hat

Abortion is a political issue. This thread is really for electoral politics. We could have a different thread for abortion slap fights.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

A D&D mod can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I legit don't think it is. I think it's a general U.S. politics thread. It just becomes about elections because our elections are six years long every four years.

I guess then we should have an election thread for people who want to read about and discuss election news and don't have any interest in hearing crowbeak's retrograde social views?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Dexo posted:

1. No you are loving wrong.

2. Even if you were right. Abortion is constantly a wedge issue in our electoral politics.

3. Sorry these women issues are interrupting your reading of real man politics.

Sorry I didn't catch that. I was distracted by all the projection going on.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

D&D might be a bit of an echo chamber but the political character has changed a lot. Used to have a strong lolbertarian bent way back, then went full communism now, this election it's still pretty leftist but mostly :stare: at the absurd and terrifying spectacle

Libertarian to Full Communism Now to reasonable moderate democrat is pretty much the lifecycle of a D&D poster.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

She is concerned she might be pregnant because her SO made a...dad joke [rimshot].

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012, AKA Marketing Director for Citibank

More like Wells Fargo amirite?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

You people are incredible. Trump isn't "dead and buried", he's on the brink of the presidency. Nothing is certain you fuckers.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

ErIog posted:

If you're going to bother to read Keynes then you should also probably read Smith's Wealth of Nations or Theory of Moral Sentiments.

The way regressive economists like Russ Roberts twist Adam Smith is absolutely astounding. Similar to how Jesus would be called a hippie liberal by the right wing if there ever were a second coming, the same would happen to Adam Smith.

Right wing economic ideas trace their roots back Darwin moreso than any of the early economists.

You're a champ if you can get through those though. Like his buddy Hume Adam Smith was brilliant, verbose, and desperately in need of an editor. Those books would never be published without changes today and for good reason.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

computer parts posted:

No, he can withdraw it but once it's voted on it's done.

It's like how if you make an offer on a house you can withdraw it but if they accept then you're kinda locked in.

No this is wrong. After the senate advises and consents, the president appoints the justice formally by having a commission drawn up and delivering it. If that doesn't happen there is no appointment.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The biggest issue is that health care as profit-incentivized will never be ideal

Even if Insurance Companies were not wildly unethical, federal law still obligates companies to act in the best interest of their shareholders.

Yes. But ordinarily management has absolutely enormous latitude in deciding what is in the shareholder's interest. Also, they may have some responsibility to other constituencies also.

quote:

If a company can profit by cutting off care to the chronically ill, they are under enormous pressure to do so even if they didn't want to.

This is true, but that pressure comes from the shareholders themselves, not from federal law.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

For question one - read the OP. It's good.

For question two - Obama overperformed polls by 2-3 points in 2012 due to superior GOTV efforts. If Hillary does even better than that, then polls showing Trump up by 3 in Texas = Blue Texas.

As a real die-hard Clinton supporter I can tell that you are 100% delusional if you hope for Blue Texas this year or any year in the next two decades. If Texas casts its electoral votes for Hillary Clinton this year I will write a 3000 word essay on why I was dumb and wrong to doubt the Grand Abuela's mastery and will also make a $100 contribution to a charity chosen by the first Texas goon to quote this post (or, by default, Planned Parenthood).

:toxx:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

Porters will unite the common man. I drink my bread.

If you drink domestic in a bar in Seattle people give you funny looks. There is a tap with 20 local microbrews and you drink a Miller Lite? :getout:

Also in the PNW we have Rainier and Olympia for our lovely pisswater. Life goal is to drink a Rainier atop Rainier.

Please explain how a local microbrew could be imported.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Agrajag posted:

The only good beer is Sapporo period. They also have beer cans made out of loving magic that even Superman himself can't even crush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG30ps4EwmI

Go get hosed other beers.

That beer is garbage and you're probably a smelly weeaboo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Help, now I'm arzying that Trump has a chance/we won't get the Senate back. Can't vote or participate in GOTV yet either. Any anti-arzy I should look at?

This but I'm in a constant state of Arzy. I'm Arzying all the time. My life is a waking Arzy.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

So it's obvious now the race really has tightened right? All the polls moving in Trump's direction.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

God can the funny polls and tweets and trump gaffes go to one thread and the bullshit anecdotal drug and craft beer chat between the same 5 idiots go to a different one

getting aggregate election news without having to sort through dozens of pages of absolute irrelevance would be cool and good

No because we've now evolved into a stage where all discussion happens in big dumb megathreads so we have to stop the whole show every time some loser shows up and offends Tiny Brontosaurus.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

If Clinton is a successful 2-term president, I have to think the 2024 nominee would be Kaine unless he does something incredibly dumb or doesn't want it.

Oh please no.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I feel like it's worth saying again that jury verdicts are not precedent. They are not even assertions about the law of any kind. They're determinations of fact and nothing more.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

Was it really a conspiracy if they did it openly tho

This is irrelevant.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Here's my hot take. It disturbs me that one bad outcome leads to a bunch of goons echoing the sentiments of Trump supporters and going "The system's broken! Burn it all down!" but with the justice system instead of our election process.

Yes, I realize the justice system has a lot of flaws, particularly when it comes to racial disparity of sentencing, but I don't think sitting around going "gently caress juries, they're worthless" is helping anything. If someone wants to propose a substantial positive change they'd like to see in the justice system, I'm all ears.

A hot take indeed.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

You'd think this would help me but in my nightmare Trump wins by flipping Michigan or Wisconsin so it doesn't.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/792017939117514752

IANAL, is there any chance something like this actually gets changed or is that just how poo poo works?

Eventually a statute will ban this practice a la the civil rights act. That probably won't happen for 30 years or so, but it'll happen.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Lol more emails like anyone cares.

You keep saying this but it's loving stupid. This is a big deal and Trump is probably going to win now. What that means for this country I don't know, but I doubt it'll be good.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

loving hysterical goons need to calm down and grab hold of themselves. I seriously doubt this is the bullet that kills Clinton. It's just more loving emails lol

It's something stupid but it looks bad and the election is next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Doesn't matter. The genie is out of the bottle.

• Locked thread