Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Farage's main schtick as a demagogue has always been 'man of the people who dares speak truth to the out of touch elites'. Trump's been hammering on that same theme in all his rallies this past week - Wall Street, big money, globalists, and the media are all part of the same cabal that rigs the system against ordinary Americans, and only an uncorrupted man of the people like me can defeat them. It would make sense to have Farage come and coach him on refining the message, given that he 'won' Brexit.

Don't think it ever got much play in the US, but it came out a few years ago that even in high school Farage was considered a horrible little fascist 'who marched through a quiet Sussex village very late at night singing Hitler Youth songs', so he can probably give helpful tips on how to code white supremacy messages too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

i am the bird posted:

Race is completely nonsensical, though. The census used to have a category for "Hindu" that covered various peoples from Asia and the Middle East. This guy's challenge for citizenship reveals a bunch of weird as gently caress racial understandings from just 100 years ago: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bhagat_Singh_Thind
See also Roldan v. Los Angeles, where the state of California spent years trying to prove Filipinos were 'of the Mongoloid race' rather than 'the Malay race' because a Filipino man and a white lady wanted to get married, and interbreeding with 'Mongoloids', specifically, was unacceptable.

(Spoiler: the time between the state Supreme Court refusing to dispute the lower court ruling that Filipinos were in fact 'Malays' and the state amending the law to add white-Malay marriage to the list of illegal unions was approx. one week.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Honestly, I get why people are still Arzying despite all the good news this past week. I mean, I personally think Clinton's going to win unless something absolutely game-changing happens, but I'm not going to be confident until the results are in and I see TRUMP LOSES BIGLY in big flashing letters on the screen.

There's so much at stake this year - the presidency obviously, but a Trump win gives the GOP control of all three branches and 35 states, never mind how much worse President Trump could be than a generic R - which is going to make a lot of people nervous. Democratic votes have this year have produced some awful results. And most of all, Trump is an open bully, a grifter, a narcissist with fascistic tendencies who doesn't even try to hide it and produces an ever-expanding list of scandals, controversies, and unbalanced statements, any one of which would be enough to sink a conventional campaign, and still he's come this far with none of his abhorrent poo poo sticking to him or shaking his base. And then one week of bad decisions from Hillary's campaign nearly put him level.

This past week has been really encouraging that finally it's sticking, finally it's catching up with him, and I know that realistically even if he stops self-imploding the damage is likely done. But there's still six weeks to go and it's still really hard to shake the fear of what if. What if Assange really has something concrete behind his bullshit this time? What if Trump stumbles his way into some killer attack lines at the debates? What if, at the end of all, enough people see Trump for what he is and decide that that's what they want for the country?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
New thing from Trump at his rally in Pueblo - Hillary won't offer school choice because she's in the pocket of Big Teaching and won't risk the vast funding she gets from teachers' unions.

Edit: Jesus, he just pivoted from 'my administration will speed up deportations' directly to:

Trump posted:

To the Cartels, the gangs, the drug dealers, I have a simple message for you: your days are numbered, and your reign of crime will soon come crashing to an end!
That's not ominous or anything.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 3, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump at his rally just now:

"While my opponent focuses on small petty things, we are discussing the vital issues facing our country and our people."

:slowly-growing-ironicat-gif:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Ok, Trump's now addressing the tax revelations directly for I think the first time: in short, he did a moral thing by taking advantage of legal means to escape the undue burdens of the unfair tax system, and by reducing his overhead he was able to benefit his employees and investors, invest in rejuvenating communities, and generally do good in the world. His competitors went under, but by using his business savvy he saved his workers jobs and rebuild his company in difficult times. And what a great job he did!

Crowd is eating it up, lots of TRUMP! chants and some cries of 'We love you Donald!'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Lol, good job Donald:

quote:

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, speaking at a campaign rally in Reno, Nevada, told an audience of supporters that when in the state, one must correctly pronounce the state’s name,

Unfortunately, he insisted on using the incorrect pronunciation.

While discussing meth overdoses in Nevada, Trump segued into a spiel on the correct pronunciation of the state’s name, using a long A instead of a short A, which is not the preferred pronunciation.

“Meth overdoses in Nevada - Ne-VAH-da - and you know what I said? You know what I said? I said when I came out here, I said, ‘nobody says it the other way, it has to be Ne-VAH-da, right?”

The audience protested, but Trump apparently did not hear them.

“And if you don’t say it correctly - and it didn’t happen to me, but it happened to a friend of mine, he was killed.”
USPOL Oct: Trump Apparently Did Not Hear Them

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Trump, explaining how Hispanics love him posted:

We just got back from Las Vegas where we gave a tremendous - I mean, we had a tremendous crowd of people. A lot of Hispanics - Latinos, they like to be called in that area. You know that right? Hispanics and Latinos.
Trump continuing with the amazing minority outreach.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Night10194 posted:

What's making you think he's doing so much better?
Hard to articulate specifics, but to me he generally came across as more like a reasonable, non-Trump person. He was a lot less shouty, more warm. He used the same attack lines as he has this past week or two, but missing a lot of the stridency he usually injects. His attempts at humour were noticeably better than usual - nothing beyond mildly amusing (hitting Bill's gaffe on Obamacare, and then saying 'hey, i should have this guy campaign for me!'), but it seemed like he was genuinely sharing a joke with the crowd in a friendly way, instead of blurting out something that's only funny in his own head and comes off as a bit weird, like the whole 'DYING PEOPLE GET OUT AND VOTE FOR ME' thing.

Of course, he knew before-hand that it was a semi-private setting filled with friends, so god knows if it signifies anything.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
First actual endorsement withdrawal - Gary Herbert, Utah Gov.:
https://twitter.com/HerbertForUtah/status/784571669662826496

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Maybe not the best optics from an HRC spokesperson, and th eapology was necessary, but the original sentiment is appreciated:
https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/785294631382712321
hey, @realDonaldTrump – regarding your claim that Captain Khan would be alive if you were president:
go gently caress yourself.

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/785301922068692998
I want to apologize for the clearly inappropriate nature and language of this personal tweet. Sorry all.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Giuliani warming up for Trump at his rally: Hillary committed 33,000 separate federal crimes, gave up the defence of Poland and the Czech Republic, wants to be president of the world. Three separate chants of 'Lock Her Up' so far, and Trump hasn't even started speaking. I honestly think trump's gonna make 'my opponent will be jailed when I win' a central plank of his campaign for the last month.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

WampaLord posted:

Is Rudy still doing that thing where he tries to stop the "Lock Her Up" chants?
Nope, after the first one he said 'On that note...' and then went into the list of 'crimes'.

Jesus, Trump's doing his 'lying Crooked Hillary, always lying with her lies' spiel and individual people in the crowd are just screaming wordlessly at the mention of her name. Like, actually shrieks of rage.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
He's now saying that none of Bill Clinton's accusers' stories have been heard publicly (until brave, noble Trump brought them to light) because the media has conspired with the Clintons to hush them up for decades. Oh, and also Hillary knew of and abetted Bill's rapes.

And then he somehow segued into Chappaquiddick and said that Democrats called Ted Kennedy a hero afterwards.:psyduck:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 10, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Haha, at his Wilkes-Barre rally Trump just had a flunky come up to the podium and hand him a card so he could read off the percentages of each and every online poll that had him winning the debate by 75%+ and then bask in the adulation of the crowd.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

cult member at airport posted:

Finally, something that Donald Trump supporters and SA Goons can agree on: CNN sucks

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/785836810060591105

It's remarkable how much this resembles the crowd at a WWE event.
Watching that part of the stream last night was real scary. At every rally for the past few weeks, Trump's marveled at how huge the crowd is and asked the tv cameras to pan around and show it, then told the audience 'they won't show it though folks, they won't' before moving on. The same spiel every time, seemed like showmanship to get the crowd pumped up.

His first appearances post-debate, that segment turned into a long rant about the Corrupt Media being in the pocket of Crooked Hillary - the media's all she has folks, we're winning but they won't cover it, they bully me with constant coverage of tiny indiscretions from my past while ignoring her treason, they won't talk about all the polls that show my victory, won't show the crowd that proves the American people are with me, because they're all part of the same establishment. but when I'm president, we'll take that power from them, oh yes we will!!!

Which culminated in the video from that tweet. (Btw, on the stream I watched the camera was panning around to show the crowd the whole time he was ranting). If this is how it's gonna go for the last month, if he's actually buying into his own conspiracy bullshit, I'm genuinely worried his 'concession' speech will be a televised address accusing Hillary of stealing the election.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mountaineer posted:

Trump openly called for revolution on election night 2012. Do we have any reason to think he wouldn't do the same again?
My main worry is that he'd be the first serious presidential nominee to do so, which would probably be incredibly damaging to the future of the American political process, even if the Trumpstaffel do nothing to act on it apart from whining on the internet.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Sounds like Mitch McConnell is happy with the way things are going, and has full confidence in his party's nominee:
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/785890416960925697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lamb Chowder posted:

Can someone give me the low down on the whole Juanita Brodderick thing? I don't want to be in the position of questioning a rape allegation, and obviously this stuff is behind doors, but it does destroy the image for someone that is in ways a role model figure for me if it's at all true.
To further what others have said, this old Slate article does a pretty good job of laying out why the claims are at least credible, but how it'll always be essentially impossible to say if they're true or not.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump's warm-up guy in Florida: 'You know where Hillary Clinton was today? She was down in Miami, with Al Gore! Probably talking about how Al Gore invented the internet!!!'

TOPICAL HUMOR

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mr. Pool posted:

I think Trump forgot about his rally tonight =]

Yeah, it was billed as 730 est, the warm-up speakers finished 45 mins ago, and he's still not there.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's not just hoarseness, he's kinda slurring. Could he be drunk?
I mean, he's probably just tired or something, but he's really off tonight. He sounds noticeably different than he usually does at his rallies; his cadence, the way he pronounces words, the whole tone is just.. off. I can't even describe how, it just is.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Ok, what the gently caress was that? Al Gore created and built up China, and wants to destroy the combustion engine, and China keeps putting steel windmills in the sky which we should be doing. And they keep letting water out of Lake Okeechobee, but we have drought, so we should keep the water in Lake Okeechobee to stop drought.

Even for Trump, this is really weird and incoherent.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

lozzle posted:

Trump promising to win African Americans and Hispanics in 2020. :rolleyes:
By yuuuuge numbers too! I also had no idea that by living in a major city I walk out into 'a death trap' every time I step outside, that's good to know.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Periodiko posted:

Trump again exhorting us to be "one American people worshipping one god." He's said this before, kind of surprised it doesn't get more play, but then again where would you fit it amidst the pussygates.
He's included some variation of 'imagine if we were' or 'we will be' followed by 'one people, under one God, saluting one American flag' at every single rally he's given for at least the last three weeks (and also that bizarre 'you have (x) days to make every dream you've ever dreamed come true' line). In any other year I think that would have been a big story for at least one news cycle, but I've not seen even the liveblogs mention it in passing. The power of Trump!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump just said that ISIS are praying daily for Hillary to be elected. Also that Obama says ISIL instead of ISIS because 'he likes disturbing all of you'. What.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Remember last night when Trump went off about how the fire code was wrong, and they should pack more people in because what's the worst that can happen? He just did it again, but this time he told the crowd the fire marshal wasn't letting people in because they're a Democrat.

Literally everything that doesn't go his way is part of the Establishment Conspiracy now.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

emdash posted:

Reports of people passing out left and right at his FL rally right now
Yeah, he also said the news media reporting that it's hot at his rally and he sweated while speaking is another example of the conspiracy against him.

Jesus gently caress, he just called for jailing Hillary's lawyers because they're just as corrupt as her.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump's rallies today have been legit scary. He's been going on for nearly 20 minutes now with a full on Alex Jones-level conspiracy rant, plus some stuff that he seems to have invented himself.

Hillary bought off the FBI! Hillary bought out the Justice Department! Hillary bleached all her emails which is super expensive and so unusual that no computer experts have ever heard of it! Hillary was fed debate questions! Hillary stole $6bn as SoS! Hillary and Sid Blumenthal hid Chris Stevens's requests for help from Obama! Hillary pledged to abolish the borders of the USA! Constant ISIS attacks in America! She is guilty and she must go to jail!

If he wins next month I'm fully expecting him to have her shot on live TV before the year's out.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

quote:

In an interview with CNN, Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway told the network that “you’re taking it literally” when asked about Donald Trump’s pledge to send Hillary Clinton to jail.

When asked about Trump’s comments at a rally in Lakeland, Florida, this afternoon in which he declared that Clinton “has to go to jail,” Conway airily told CNN host Brianna Keilar that “you’re taking it literally” when Trump merely meant that Clinton is allowed to operate by a different set of rules than the average American.

The comment echoes Conway’s insistence that similar remarks in the second presidential debate were meant “in jest,” and that journalists who “fixate” on such remarks are doing so out of spite.

“You’re doing a disservice to the American people,” Conway said. “You cherrypick what he says and you want to talk about it for days on end with a breaking news tag on it. I don’t think that counts as breaking news.”
IT'S A PRANK, BRO, IT'S A PRANK!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Crow Jane posted:

What did Hillary say about Catholics?
Nothing, but someone associated with her campaign was negative about some Catholics, which is Just As Bad.

WaPo posted:

Clinton campaign communications director Jennifer Palmieri, who ran communications for the liberal think tank Center for American Progress that Podesta founded, responded to emails from think tank fellow John Halpin who noted a 2011 report in the New Yorker about News Corp chief executive Rupert Murdoch and Wall Street Journal managing editor Robert Thomson raising their children Catholic.

“Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the [Supreme Court] and think tanks to the media and social groups,” Halpin wrote in the 2011 email, according to WikiLeaks. “It’s an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

Palmieri responded that she believes Murdoch, Thomson and many other conservatives are Catholic because they think it’s “the most socially acceptable politically conservative religion.” “Their rich friends wouldn’t understand if they became evangelicals,” she wrote. Podesta did not respond in the email thread.
Trump has been spinning this as 'the terrible things Hillary Clinton said about Catholics and evangelicals for the past two days. He never actually says what those things are, he just asks the crowd if they saw 'the emails', then says they're terrible.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

5436 posted:

Anyone else think this is gonna be death by a thousand cuts?
For the American people, sure.

We can now add Liberty University to the list of conservative institutions fractured by the rise of Trump. A part of the student body's turned on Falwell:
https://twitter.com/Tyler_McNally/status/786353521117495296?lang=en

Liberty United Against Trump posted:

In the months since Jerry Falwell Jr. endorsed him, Donald Trump has been inexorably associated with Liberty University. We are Liberty students who are disappointed with President Falwell’s endorsement and are tired of being associated with one of the worst presidential candidates in American history. Donald Trump does not represent our values and we want nothing to do with him.

A majority of Liberty students, faculty, and staff feel as we do. Donald Trump received a pitiful 90 votes from Liberty students in Virginia’s primary election, a colossal rejection of his campaign. Nevertheless, President Falwell eagerly uses his national platform to advocate for Donald Trump. While he occasionally clarifies that supporting Trump is not the official position of Liberty University, he knows it is his title of president of the largest Christian university in the world that gives him political credentials.

Associating any politician with Christianity is damaging to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But Donald Trump is not just any politician. He has made his name by maligning others and bragging about his sins. Not only is Donald Trump a bad candidate for president, he is actively promoting the very things that we as Christians ought to oppose.

A recently uncovered tape revealed his comments bragging about sexually assaulting women. Any faculty or staff member at Liberty would be terminated for such comments, and yet when Donald Trump makes them, President Falwell rushes eagerly to his defense – taking the name “Liberty University” with him. “We’re all sinners,” Falwell told the media, as if sexual assault is a shoulder-shrugging issue rather than an atrocity which plagues college campuses across America, including our own.

It is not enough to criticize these kinds of comments. We must make clear to the world that while everyone is a sinner and everyone can be forgiven, a man who constantly and proudly speaks evil does not deserve our support for the nation’s highest office.

Jesus tells a story in the Bible about a man who tries to remove a speck of dust from his brother’s eye, while he has a log stuck in his own. “You hypocrite,” Jesus says, “first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.”

We Liberty students are often told to support Donald Trump because the other leading candidate is a bad option. Perhaps this is true. But the only candidate who is directly associated with Liberty University is Donald Trump.

Because our president has led the world to believe that Liberty University supports Donald Trump, we students must take it upon ourselves to make clear that Donald Trump is absolutely opposed to what we believe, and does not have our support.

We are not proclaiming our opposition to Donald Trump out of bitterness, but out of a desire to regain the integrity of our school. While our president Jerry Falwell Jr. tours the country championing the log in his eye, we want the world to know how many students oppose him. We don’t want to champion Donald Trump; we want only to be champions for Christ.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
It's happening:
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/786394746709118977?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

sarmhan posted:

"ROME DIDN'T HAVE ROBOTS FUCKWIT" yea.
I don't think anyone ever explained that.
If I remember my ancient forums lore right, the guy (Strudel Man?) posted in some kind of Ancient Rome RP thread as a robot character and promptly received the red text within seconds. (Also that has to be at least 10 years ago, probably closer to 15, holy crap I have been reading these forums for too long.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
In a 1999 interview with Larry King, Trump said he though Bill Clinton did a sort-of-ok job in Kosovo, but that bombing the Serbs wasn't enough and he, Trump, would have deployed US ground troops to protect the Kosovan border:

quote:

KING: ... who show leadership ability. But, we don't know the -- for example, you and Kosovo. Would you have done what Clinton did?

TRUMP: Well, I would have done it a little bit differently. And I know this would sound terrible. But look at the havoc that they have wreaked in Kosovo. I mean, we could say we lost very few people. Of course, we had airplanes 75,000 feet up in the air dropping bombs. But, look at what we've done to that land and to those people and the deaths that we've caused.

Now, they haven't been caused with us and the allies because we were way up in the air in planes. But, at some point, you had to put troops in so not everybody could go over the borders and everything else, and a lot of people agree with that.

Now, would people have been killed? Perhaps, perhaps more. But, at least ultimately, you would have had far fewer deaths. And you wouldn't have had the havoc and the terror that you've got right now.

So, you know, I don't know if they consider that a success because I can't consider it a success.
Wonder what changed his mind about Serbia, America's great ally.

Btw, there's a whole bunch of little Trump titbits in that transcript: Pat Buchanan loves Hitler, Al Gore and Jimmy Carter are great guys, Bill would have been one of history's great presidents if not for the affairs, Linda Tripp is 'from hell', etc, etc.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I am really hoping the location is a coincidence, because one of the new accusers from yesterday gave her story to the Palm Beach Post. If he's going after her personally, or the paper...

Also:
https://twitter.com/jdelreal/status/786593650788610048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
THE REAL RACIST

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

hiddenriverninja posted:

a perfect typo
Oh yeah, I forgot the American spelling's different.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The stream shows he's literally this very second having a relaxed meeting with some 'small business leaders' in an office somewhere, 30 minutes after the rally was meant to start.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Seems like Trump might not be in the best mood when he finally reaches the rally:
https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/786609704306737152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Actual quote - "Hillary Clinton meets with international bankers to plot the destruction of US sovereignty". He's going full Globalist Conspiracy.

• Locked thread