Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What are the big selling points of Civ 6? I like 4X games but I feel pretty happy with Endless Legend and Civ 5 for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, March has to be strategy / war stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CrashCat posted:

what did they review

i mean yes i could go look but I won't now, just out of spite

The Force Awakens, nominally.

Most of the video is about how attitudes to the prequel trilogy have changed in the past few years, and what Disney taking over Star Wars means. The bit relating to TFA is easily the worst bit of the video.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go watch a video the exact same length as the movie it's about so I can learn why it sucks

It's mostly not about the movie, and it doesn't say the movie sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't it weird how we never got a Star Wars video game where you play as Luke and run around with a lightsaber.

Like yeah the old platformers on NES and SNES and whatever but all those Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, Bioware RPGs, terrible prequel games, and I can't think of a single one where you play as The Guy From Star Wars.

I guess with Rebel Assault they wanted to do a Star Wars FMV game but didn't have the main cast, so you end up doing all the same kinda stuff except as Rookie One or whatever.

You do get to do the Luke / lightsaber stuff in the LEGO games too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm 100% sure that Disney consciously aimed for a diverse cast, and I hope more big blockbusters take the same approach.

Lurdiak posted:

Lego games hardly count, you can play as That Gungan That Isn't Jar Jar, No Not That One, The Other One. Not that I'm complaining about that, but it's hardly the same as a game focused on one of the most iconic characters in the franchise.
It's one of the only ones I can think of, and "play as your favourite characters" is a selling point of them. But I take your point.

The main three turn up as special units in some of the strategy games too I think, but that's still really removed from the action.

There is also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-r7SNQ_5fc
But ignoring that is for the best

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

hey guys i wanna make a new wow character

warlock, hunter, death knight or demon hunter? thanks
You can do a short max-level trial of any class now (it ends after the first major questline) if that helps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Demon hunters get access to a ton of new content apparently, including knowing that certain NPCs are secret demons.

It's not really a ton.

There's a lot more class-specific stuff in this expac in general.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well if you're using anything but red for fire you better have a drat good reason.

Green fire is A Thing in Warcraft stuff, and usually represents an association with demons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Should health be red or green?

Yes.

Generally.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Snak posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate that "RPG" in modern parlance means "lots of stats" and nothing else. Not annoyance. Irrational hatred.

Hasn't it always had that aspect though? I played games like System Shock, Ultima, and Eye of the Beholder in the 90s and they were thought of as RPGs then, and would still be today.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Action adventure games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I saw a couple reviews that said The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like watching a stage play of The Hobbit and not a movie, and I agree.

It looked like it was in fast forward to me.

I don't get motion sickness but HFR films and 3D films look so incredibly fake and distracting to me that they're basically unwatchable. I don't have that problem with games though.

Help Im Alive posted:

Procedurally generated movies...incredible

It's kinda been done, at least on a script level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Red Dead Revelations

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I know nothing about Red Dead Redemption, was it actually all that popular?

And if it was so popular, why wasn't it released on PC?? :smuggo:

It was expected to be a failure but sold really well (10+M copies) and was also really loving good.

It had a pretty rough development and the engine was a mess, which lead to a lot of bugs on release and made it uneconomical to port to PC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I liked Red Dead Redemption but I got tired of it and didn't finish it because it has Rockstar Fatigue problems in its writing and world design. I don't understand the people who wanted to marry it, it was just a decent sandbox game that happened to have way less to do than GTA.

It has a really, really strong ending for what it's worth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I never really found the queue much use because all it'll do is fill up my wishlist or (at best) my backlog.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Earthbound was pretty funny and/or horrifying when it was being meta. I haven't experienced games trying to lampshade tropes or game design flaws that I can think of much besides that, though. Like there are a few joke dungeons/bosses in Chrono Trigger the characters comment on, I guess?

Stanley Parable's humour is mostly from that.

Hell, The Stanley Parable Demonstration has a lot of demo-specific humour (as well as the best button ever).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I really want to play that one of these days, but I keep thinking I'm going to do one of those gaming charity drive things for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and do my first blind playthrough of it then.
It's worth noting that if you buy the game it can be hard to play the Stanley Parable Demonstration because of the way Steam works, which is unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

if i play HL 2 now, will it feel super dated? i apparently have it from when i downloaded original portal.

I think it did a bunch of innovative things, most of which have been done better by more recent games.

• Locked thread