Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's October, the month for spooky games, and this is the chat thread for talking about games and whatever else comes to mind.

October game releases that I found after some googling:

Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide (PS4, Xbox One) – October 4
Rocksmith 2014 Edition – Remastered (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 4
Mortal Kombat XL and Kombat Pack 2 (PC) – October 4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered campaign for pre-orders (PS4) – October 5
Mafia 3 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 7
Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U) – October 7
100ft Robot Golf (PS4, PSVR) – October 10
Gears of War 4 (PC, Xbox One) – October 11
Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 11
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration (PS4) – October 11
WWE 2K17 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – October 11
Sunless Sea: Zubmariner – (PC) – October 11
Batman: Arkham VR (PSVR) – October 11
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Definitive Experience (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 11
Dragon Quest Builders (PS4, Vita) – October 11
Moto Racer 4 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 13
PlayStation VR – October 13
Star Wars Battlefront: X-Wing VR Mission (PSVR) – October 13
Driveclub VR (PS VR) – October 13
Rez Infinite (PS4, PS VR) – October 13
Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) – October 13
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare beta (PS4) – October 14
Rock Band Rivals (PS4, Xbox One) – October 18
Eagle Flight (Oculus Rift) – October 18 / December 20 for HTC Vive and PS VR
Batman: Return to Arkham (PS4, Xbox One) – October 18
Battlefield 1 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 21
LEGO Harry Potter Collection (PS4) – October 21
Civilization 6 (PC) – October 21
Dark Souls 3 – Ashes of Ariandel DLC (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 25
World of Final Fantasy (PS4, PSVita) – October 25
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 25
Titanfall 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 28
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Special Edition (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh boy skylanders imaginators comin out this month

Likely not gonna get it but I'm excited to see the new skylander designs and backstories because those things get pretty funny sometimes in how dumb they are

I don't know a thing about Skylanders but I googled them and the game's being developed by Toys for Bob and boy that takes me back - I put hours and hours into Star Control 2, and still love it to this day, even if it is a game where you have to use cheats to cut down on mining tedium. The species in that game were fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Uhh did Undertale really only come out in 2016?

Release date thank you google: September 15, 2015

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

God drat but Grim Dawn is so poorly optimized. My poor laptop chugs just running it on the lowest settings and it's just intolerable for playing it for more than ten minutes at a time, which is not good. :( I kind of wish I hadn't picked it up at all now, but I got it through the Humble Monthly Bundle so I can't refund it now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

How? That game has visuals from the early 2000s

It's insanely poorly optimized. If I turn up the graphic settings the game literally slows down and has trouble running. My laptop isn't the oldest on the market - it can play Saints Row IV for example - but for some reason Grim Dawn runs like it wants to be XCOM 2.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

If you had Notch's money, what would you do with it?

Fund everything on Kickstarter. Yes, everything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am incredibly glad Steam refunds are a thing.

Seconding this. I made a bad purchase today and now I won't have to live with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I think Final Fantasy 15 might actually be bad!

This looks neat, like Dungeon Master and Badman. Do you get to manage monsters?

Nope! It's a tower defense game - one of the best ones on Steam, just behind Immortal Defense. You set up traps and try to funnel heroes into your whirling sawblades of death.

The closest you get to managing monsters is that you can set a trap that summons demons that will fight for you, and they'll respawn if they get killed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The tower defense I've played most is the Kingdom Rush series on iPad which I thought were very fun if not as free form as the old ones I played as SC and WC3 custom maps. Is this one comparable in the sense that there is a progression and different maps or challenges?

I've only played a little of Kingdom Rush on steam, but I just booted up Dungeon Warfare for some screencaps, so!

Here's the main map screen. Each icon is a map, and they have varying layouts and paths and so on. The ones on the right get very, very difficult and you can see where I'm still figuring out how to solve the later maps.

Every map has these difficulty modifier runes. You can toggle on as many or as few as you'd like, and one of them is Endless mode - or easy mode.

Setting up a level is like this:

You pick from your available traps, plonk them down around the level, and killing heroes gets you more resources which you use to build more traps. So it's kind of resource management - buy more dart traps, or upgrade them, or save up for the sawblades or thunderbolt traps. You can earn XP through the levels to power-up traps too, and it gets fairly complex.

I like it a lot!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

How long do you think until Devastation is $5 on steam? 3 or 4 more years? :v:

It'll go into a bundle first, that's when I'm planning to get it. :getin:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

One thing I did that helped with this is not buying so many games and, if I did get a game that I was not interested in, just dropping it and not committing to completing it. Rather than committing to some stupid backlog, I focus on games that I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying a game, there's no point in trudging through. When I was younger sure, but now I don't have time for that because of the whole work/life balance.

I feel like I need some kind of balance here - I tend to drop games at the slightest whim as I move onto new and shiny, but I do like to finish games - especially story-driven games where I want to see the finales. So I wind up in this weird mix where I'm still playing Brigador or Invisible Inc or Caves of Qud while trying to chip away at Shadowrun or the Fall, and I constantly eyezoom to new things that occupy me for a while before they land in the backlog pile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphiel posted:

I'm thinking about doing an obscure game/puzzle game/indie game November writeup, and it's been fun to go through all the games I have and review some of them! I'm also excited to try some in my backlog so I can review them. drat, I was really into kickstarter a few years back.....

This sounds like my jam, sir. Weird indie titles are great fun to read about, and even occasionally play! :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

StripNebulosa's suggestion has been making the wait for DQB bearable though. Pretty fun, although the game will occasionally throw a bunch of BS on the last wave and I am always tempted to use too many runes on each map.

Happy to hear it! Good tower defense is worth its weight in gold, imo.

Rune-wise I try to stick to just the one life one (as once even one hero reaches you you're probably screwed as more will follow), but I'm a weenie when it comes to challenge, haha.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I've heard a rumour that video games are bad, is that corroborated anywhere?

I'd like to present the controversial opinion that some video games are bad, and some are good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dang, Mafia II's opening lasts forever. Getting the full life story of this guy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someone talk me out of grabbing Stardew Valley now that it's the Humble Bundle monthly thing, please. I have other games to play this weekend, I don't need to fall into farming hell.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looper posted:

why? it's fun and many of its issues can be fixed with mods

It's mostly because I have a lot of games to play already and I just know that I'll start playing Stardew Valley and not stop for a while and I'm...going to get it, aren't I. It's fun waiting for the mystery games in the Humble Bundle, the game itself is worth the full 15$, and welp.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Stardew Valley's pretty good. But I played a whole lot of it when it first came out, and i was under a terrible depression at the time, and the game definitely exacerbated it, so watch out I guess

How exactly did it exacerbate it, if I might ask? I've seen it bandied about as a good game for chilling out, but if it makes depression worse...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, gotcha, it's good escapism which can be really difficult to break away from. Kind of like the Sims, but with more to do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's more of a person-by-person basis kind of thing though. For some people (like myself) the sense of escapist entertainment video games provide helps a lot when you're stressed out. Video games provide a good break from the 'real world' when you might really need it.

Agreed. I've been using video games as a relief valve after doing classwork and they're genuinely helpful in going from being super-stressed to calm.

Not to mention it's a good way to go from processing a million things to focusing on just a few things. Unless you're playing something like a Paradox game, but I'm not the kind of person who relaxes by playing grand strategy. :shrug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Which one should I buy first: The Beginner's Guide, Firewatch, The Witness, Samorost 3 or Inside?

Dunno about the others, but the Beginner's Guide is over in two hours or less. It's an interesting ride, but it's also pretty much non-interactive. You walk and listen and that's it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spent a lot of time today reading up on the latest political disasters and while I'm happy that Trump's campaign is utterly sunk, I need to stop paying attention to politics or I'll spend my evening being disgusted with everything.

Which is to say, I thought about it and I finally went in on Stardew Valley. Thanks for the posts, guys! Gonna raise some crops and get away from this reality for a while. :)

e: Shoot, what do I name my farm? Naming indecision, my worst enemy! :argh:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 9, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I went with the boring choice of Idyl farm - and, well, an idyllic rustic farm sounds like a nice place to visit right about now.

(I'm also a blue alien but I'm sure the locals can handle that!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Initial impressions: uh oh, this is exactly like SNES Harvest Moon which absorbed me for ages back in the day, only it has way more personality. I've also put hours into Animal Crossing, too, and uh oh. I'll have to fill up that museum as soon as I can!

But I have some questions: is there anything missable? I'd hate to not visit someone on a day and miss out on something cool. Also, where/how do you store stuff? I've got a lot of Fiber and Rocks that I'd like to stop clogging my inventory, but...it's a resource, not trash. What's safe to dump until I get more space?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

No, you can't miss anything. The game has an ending, technically speaking, but after said ending it just continues on forever until you want to stop. There aren't any missable one-time events or whathaveyou.

To store your stuff, make a chest. You can plop it pretty much anywhere (including outside your farm) and it'll stay right where it is and keep all your stuff, but I prefer making it in my house for easier access.

Brilliant. Time was zooming by and I didn't want to realize I'd screwed myself out of something somewhere.

And it takes 50 wood to make one of those...okay, time to pretend I'm playing Terraria for a little while and chop trees. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I know I'm only a few days into the game, but so far it hasn't felt like I need a mod to slow things down - things are zooming, but ultimately I've got plenty of days to plant crops and talk to people and so on. (Yes, I am aware that when the seasons roll over your crops die. I'm planning for that!)

Honestly the toughest question now is figuring out who I want to romance, but again there's no rush with that. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

You'll definitely need a polygamy mod

Is there a polygamy mod?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

There's a mod to make the non-white love interests white.

:stare:

No no no I don't want to be racist, I just want a mod that will resolve my indecision, and alas, no, there isn't a polygamy mod. The internet has not delivered.

I did google and find a list of fun, goofy mods: Starview Valley mods. I want this one, for obvious reasons:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The 28 day seasons the game uses are cool because it's a real thing that was created for the same reasons the game uses it: each day of the month always falls on the same day of the week so you don't have to worry about the calendar changing from year to year.

That is pretty cool! I kind of wish we used it IRL because that'd be way more convenient, but alas, no, the calendar market marches on.

Guy Mann posted:

I wish they kept the older portraits, where Elliott looked like an actual dweeby writer instead of Fabio and Harvey didn't have a pedostache and look twice as old as all the other dudes you could marry.

I don't know, I kind of like Fabio having gorgeous hair while telling me about how his cabin is dark and full of spiders. It adds an element of surrealism to the game that's just hilarious to me.

Harvey on the other hand desperately needs that old portrait, as I've just stopped talking to him entirely as he's really, really creepy. I may have to look for a mod to change his portrait, because yikes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, the weirdest thing about Stardew Valley to me so far is that since I bought the game yesterday, there's a dude on my steam friendslist who hasn't stopped playing it. I don't think he stopped for a break. I hope he left it idling to go sleep or something, but....wow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got $14.99 burning a hole in my Steam wallet since returning Mad Games Tycoon, any recommendations for a feel-good game?

Euro Truck 2 is on sale, Majesty Gold is on sale, Rymdresa is on sale...

Euro Truck 2 is a fantastically chill trucking game that's surprisingly addictive, and you should check it out!

Majesty Gold is a classic goofy game where you hire heroes to defend your kingdom and I can't describe it, please play it. It's better than the second game and really, really worth your time.

Rymdresa is...weird. You fly around dodging asteroids and looking for poetry. It's fantastically ambient and lonely and hard, and it's not..feel-good, but I wanted to mention it because it's the only game I've ever seen that rewards you with poetry. I wish more games did, honestly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I already own Euro Truck and none of your other suggestions sound compelling, sorry.

Nah, that's okay. Just thought I'd toss out what's on sale and I like, so. :shrug:

Good luck figuring out what you want! I'd say Stardew Valley, but you can't buy the Humble Monthly bundle with steamdollars.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yo, apparently there IS something missable in Stardew Valley: the three heart cutscene with Sam. You have to do it in Year One or it never happens again.

I threw pizza at him until he had a touching cutscene on the beach, but if I'd missed that, man. I might have restarted my game. (Curse you, completionist tendencies!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

Seiken Densetsu 3. Bright and colorful and easy to play, with a lot of things to do and a cute dragon to ride. I think I saw all three variants of the final boss back in the day.

Basically the SNES was the world's best toy for a preteen. Harvest Moon, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger (never finished that one), Mario, oodles more I'm forgetting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I always see people saying that FFX is trash and I think "but that's my favorite one", and then I remember that I have poo poo taste

Dude, my biggest regret about FFX was finishing it as it meant I couldn't spend more time with the battle system. It's so good, and the story ain't half bad either, even if I prefer FFXII's story.

If more FFs had ripped off that battle system I would have been the happiest camper.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

How is everyone's video gaming this fine October?

Good! I picked up Stardew Valley and it's as good as I was afraid it would be, as now I can't stop playing it - well, I did stop one evening to boot up Darkest Dungeon for some spooky gaming, because what's October without being creeped out by videogames?

I read some spoilers on the story in Darkest Dungeon and it's moved from being atmospheric eldritch-style horrors to a more dread-inducing SIREN-esque "oh god" everytime I play it, which is both fantastic and stressful - I can't play very much of it at once without needing to hug my cats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello, how is everybody doing today? I hope everybody is having a good time today! I'm excited because it is almost Friday and Fridays and weekends are cool and good

Good! I'm trying to play games right now, but one of my cats keeps climbing onto me so it's....well, he's helping! :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The more I play Stardew Valley, the more I realize that whenever I give in and get Factorio I'll be screwed again - it's horribly horribly addicting to grab chicken eggs, turn them into mayo, and turn 'em into cash and that's just the simplest possible production chain. Setting up an automated system that does all of the above......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to have a chicken sandwich today: sourdough toast, mayo, and cut-up fried chicken that was cooked in three pepper hot sauce. (Cooking in stardew valley inspired me to do some basic cooking of my own today instead of leftovers)

• Locked thread