Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Tabletop RPGs are very enjoyable when the person running the game actually wants people to have fun. If they are trying to force you through their fantasy or sci-fi epic and making the experience boring inside combat or not, they're are only playing for themselves. A good DM knows what clues to drop to move the story along, and when to fudge a roll in the player's favor. They also know to tailor the game to the players. One of the best sessions I ran involved a torch lit room that was filling with oil, skeletons crawling out of recesses in the wall, and a giant grid of letters on a slab. Two people fought, two worked on riddles, everyone got very close to exploding. The larger campaign wasn't the best and was too circuitous, but I learned from it and got better.

When I discovered MUDs (shout out to Achaea) I thought a great idea for a game would be a text-based client that could manage small parties with an AI DM. Make it a little like a CYOA with a handful of modules and let players keep their character sheet between games. You could even have a save function in case you couldn't finish the whole thing in one sitting, just like real tabletop RPGs. I also thought having different DM AIs would be neat, with the players being able to vote for who they wanted or to leave it random. One could be easier than normal, one harder, one more irreverent, etc. Canned dialogue and reactions, not really AI but you know what I mean. Now I see all these programs that simulate the tabletop experience on the PC, but none of them simulate the DM for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Red Dead Online could just be a Magnificent Seven-type horde mode game and I'd be happy.

I bought Dragon Quest Builders based on my experiences with the demo and with the gushing praise on this thread, but I'm a little sore that my demo progress didn't carry over. On the other hand, having a general idea of what the first few quests are was nice because if you already have the required items or if you've already built whatever the quest giver asks you to build, they give the quest then the completion dialogue all at once. It's a real minor thing, but eliminating the need to talk to the person again is a pleasant reward for being proactive.

There's also a demo for World of Final Fantasy on the PSN. I tried it and by god is the default battle speed slow. Raise it up a few notches from the title screen because there's no way to get to the config menu from inside the game, and the only save point is right before the end. Other quibbles: the ATB bar on the left side of the screen is needlessly small and could be longer by half, easy. You can have six characters on your side and they really crowd that bar and make it hard to see who's getting a turn next. There are some things that aren't explained, which is fine because it's a thin line to walk with tutorials before they become too patronizing. Left and right on the d-pad change who you are targeting and can be done at any time except after you select your attack. The touchpad is auto-battle. You change from Bigstack to Lilstack by making the character on the world screen big or small, not through a menu or during battle. Every creature has a skill tree, but getting the points seems a little slow (1 point per level, costs range from 1-4 points).

I like Final Fantasy and I'm pretty sure I like RPGs, but I wasn't blown away by this demo. It felt so slow and I didn't even make it three screens in before I was dreading getting into a random battle. The demo is a completely standalone product from the whole game though, so maybe if I speed it up and there's a semblance of a story and a goal I'd be more into it. The best part of the game was the descriptions of the monsters you collect. They're all cute and a little jokey, and I can very much see collecting them becoming a fixation like I had in Ni No Kuni. I'm interested in reading reviews of the finished product.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RDR with GTAV style heists. Controlling multiple characters to stage a train robbery or to bust someone out of jail. Cheating at cards then starting a bar fight. Shooting a man just to watch him die.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Does the PSVR have a theater mode, where one can wear the headset and play non-VR games on a large screen? I've got a decent TV but if I'm interested in knowing if I could play something like Battlefield 1 on the equivalent of an AMC projection screen from my couch.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Elevator Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNnqK226mLc

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Dang, Dragon Quest Builders is an effective Tptime travel device. "One more thing"ed myself into getting a max of five hours of sleep, and I wasted the coarse cloth I needed to progress on armor I don't even need. Real fun though, with every new item I can make I get flashbacks to Dwarf Fortress and designing the perfect base. Also, tip that took me too long to learn: if something attaches to the wall, it can be placed above something on the ground. The last 10 minutes have been delicate optimization of space and decorations, and I'm eager to get back to it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Good Switch Blenda

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Oh hey, beer chat. Craft brands vary with local, but Summer Wheat or Lemon Shandy are good, light beers to start with. Through most of college I didn't like the taste of beer and drank stricktly whiskey. Developing you pallet to include beer will do you a lot of favors in life, just broadening your horizons in general really. What I'd recommend is a little unorthodox, but if there's a bar near you with a large variety on tap and you go during slow hours, you can talk to the bar tender about your situation and ask for samples of their recommendations. Pay for at least two and tip well, but you can get a sip of an IPA and a lager and learn the difference and hopefully find something you like.

This also sounds dumb, but you're going to have to power through the taste for the first few beers. It takes time to develop a tolerance to the distinct beer flavor, but drink a few at a time a few times a month and you'll know what you like.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

IPAs are too bitter for my taste, and stouts are too strong. But finding a nice middle ground with wheat has served me just fine and I've many great times with it and friends (and without, can't watch a debate sober)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I drink twice a week. During my pinball league and maybe on the weekends. I play video games everyday. If I can find someone to sell me weed that doesn't involve driving an hour both ways, I enjoy a hazy smoke with my gaming regimen, but since I bought a house, more and more of my time has been occupied with general upkeep and what the kids call "adulting".

I what I'm trying to say is that I'm very excited for Final Fantasy XV next month.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like beat'em ups but I find the best beat'em ups have a system of character progression. I am on record of loving the D&D arcade titles, and I think Dragon's Crown was great in spite of the anatomy issues. Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers, and DD Neon occupy the indie throne, and there's Phantom Breaker on Steam that has a level up system. The spiritual sequel to River City Ransom should be coming out sometime soon. Even the old arcade game Knights of the Round had a system where your character's weapon and armor would become more embellished based on your score, and that was enough of a carrot to pull me through. I feel like the formula for the next great beat'em up is out there, it just hasn't found a developer willing to invest themselves in it.

Really, if a Dragon's Crown 2 was announced I'd be over the moon.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Trailer for God of War movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylS-X0s-KM

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Kirby pinball game was pretty good

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's a rarely discussed fact that both major candidates for the United States presidency are, at least in some part, gamers. They each like to unwind after a hard day campaigning with a little escapism, which is completely understandable for a Joe Nobody like myself.

Hillary Clinton has been known to fire up her laptop while taking a late-night flight back Washington, D.C. and load an old favorite, Dwarf Fortress. Losing may be fun, but she prides herself on the largely self-sustaining Dwarf Megalopolis she's cultivated since 2013. Her accomplishments in the game, unrecognized by all but herself and her industrious dwarves, include numerous underground greenhouses, a well-organized militia with a variety of weapons and training, and a winding maze of death traps for would-be attackers. Aqueducts and rudimentary piping supply fresh water to all levels of her fortress, and in times of war is used to flood the entrances as an effective, if slow, way to soak the competition. Reservoirs of food and water have made winters something that only happens on the outside. Capping off the happy colony is a darker shadow: Clinton has painstakingly designed her utopia to be equipped with simple quarantine methods. If a noble asks for something unreasonable, or a dead kitten has caused an outbreak of insanity, Hillary makes the tough call to have a leverdwarf pull the switch that drops a thick layer of stone between any entries and exits from the affected section. In time, when the situation has calmed down through cooler heads or the slow progress of starvation, special crews of dwarves are tasked with removing the remains and making the area inhabitable once again.

Donald Trump, sticking with the preferred PC system of both candidates, spends most of his scant free time roaming the virtual lands of Second Life. Trump begins most sessions walking around Trump Island, a rock in a digital ocean inaccessible to all but the few with Trump's permission. The halls are empty of life but filled with the highest ticket items available to buy with Linden Bucks, and a few custom pieces financed by cold, hard cash. Gold pillars, gold teddy bears, and gold chandeliers casting gold light onto gold rugs might be a jarring sight for some, but for Donald, it's just a home away from home. Of course, Second Life is about more than just having the best and the most; it's about socializing. When Trump leaves his island to commune with the simple folk, he makes a hard decision as to what avatar to best represent himself that day. One is a muscled figure, about 6'5" with a golden head of hair and a designer business suit almost ripping at the seams trying to contain the man inside. Another favorite: A colossal god, easily the equivalent of seven stories tall and made of pure light. As much as he longs to parade around his kingdom as the massive deity, each step it takes checks the permissions of a dozen districts on the mainland. This usually results in unexpected teleportation as $$TheDonald$$ has been banned by nearly 40% of active user spaces.

Our reporter also reached out the Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Johnson said that he enjoys challenging puzzlers like Angry Birds, and Stein stated that she "couldn't get enough of those Mario Boys."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Tim Kaine has left IdleQuest running on his home PC for the last 16 years, but if you ask him he's say his favorite game is frisbee with the kids.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've got Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 on pre-order. I'm kind of edging towards pre-ordering the new Call of Duty, but I figure there's gotta be a sale on it and the season pack by the end of the year.

Heaven or Hell, let's rock.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Final Fantasy XV is an ARPG, duh

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

What are good YouTube videos to whittle away my workday with? My workload has been very light as of late and I spend most of the day on SA or watching tutorials of pinball tables. Taking recommendations for funny or entertaining videos or creators that I could spend an hour or so watching to make the part of my work day I spend without work go a little faster.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I went looking for the Namco x Capcom art of Dig Dug, but what I found was an inflation fetishists dream.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Black Friday Cyber Monday Hype Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sweet jesus, I wonder what the McDonald's clientele will be like today.

I work at McDonald's, you see.

When you get off of your crummy shift, you should add a handsome LawfulWaffle to your XCom squad. It's a great way to reduce stress and unwind, from my experience.

• Locked thread