Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah! After a bunch of tries I finally beat my previous Devil Daggers record. I managed to last for 165.9035 seconds before getting blindsided by a satan-horned skull. I think I've got the first minute down to a science, though excecution's obviously the problem, especially against the spider. It's a really fantastic game, stressful in all the right ways but every death is your fault. Not usually into score-attack games but this is definitely a notable exception.

Oh yeah and I also just discovered that the menu music loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Overwatch's design is derivative as hell (though still better than Paladin's and miles better than Battleborn's) and both games have been in development for years. Like, "guy who throws chain at people and then also pulls them in with chain" isn't exactly some new thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat.
:yeah:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order has one of the most diverse casts in a modern game and nobody really noticed or cared. I want more internet fatbeards whining about how BJ Blazkowicz taking orders from an old woman in a wheelchair and feeling inferior next to the awe of watching Jimi Hendrix perform is all a plot to turn gamers into little white cuck balls.

"This game was diverse and nobody got angry about it but I wish they did because I am insane."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

what is this garbage

I think I have boxers made out of that material.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Would that all the rich were so self-destructive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey games thread, I just got back from trying VR for the first time! :toot:

Coincidentally, I think I'm done with VR! :toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

I would like to know more

Went to a little VR expo sort of thing after work, Playstation VR being the real headliner. There was also a keynote I didn't bother with, but when I glanced in the auditorium the slides were standard tech-conference stuff: way of the future, market disruption, how apps can solve all of society's ills, etc. Anyway, the PSVR waiting list was too long for me to have more than one go and I played Eve Valkyrie since it was the most "gamey" game and I wanted to see if I'd get motion sick. Anyway, it was cool to experience but VR really isn't there yet imo; the visual quality was sort of bad, low-res and blurry, the FOV was really low, and of course there didn't seem to be much to the game itself, after you get past the initial rush of "wow, it's like I'm almost in a spaceships cockpit kind of, not at all. One aspect I was disappointed with is the fact that the VR doesn't seem very 3D, only a little 3D. Sure I could look around me but there was very little sense of depth; my 3DS seems more impressive in that regard. I do regret playing E:V instead of The Heist though; the fact that it uses motion controls might have made it more immersive to me since you actually have reason to spin around can knock crap around.

In addition to the PSVR stuff, I also watched a couple of short "narrative VR experiences" and tried "Athlete VR" for a little bit. The former was essentially a pair of 360° videos except strapped to your head (they used GearVR) so it was like watching 1/4 of a movie because most of the film would be "offscreen" at any one time. The latter was first-person, gopro footage from a downhill skier that I had to put down because using it while standing made me a little dizzy. Probably wouldn't have had the same reaction in a chair tho.

All told, I think it's telling that the longest lines at the whole event were for the free pizza.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

shoulda picked heist or battlezone or rez or whatever. i've never played EV but it just looks lame and unimaginative to me from footage.

Yeah, like I said I regret not doing the Heist. They had an infographic that for all of the demos they were showing and Eve was listed as the most intense and interactive so I kinda wanted to dive in headfirst.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Modern D&D is for casual scrubs, I'm all about Pathfinder these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

Dead Island is why we don't deserve preorder bonuses

Very wrong. People who preorder should be inflicted with Dead Island-like bonuses until they stop.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol if you didn't take out a second mortgage on your house to back Star Citizen.

You stupid chumps are gonna be eating your words when it comes out in 2022.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

Guy Mann is having good opinions? Now I've seen everything.

The best opinion, since he himself invested $1000 into Star Citizen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

same thing and yes

Ugh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY

:same:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Witcher 3 has lots of stats though...

e;fb

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

I appreciate it. I am a no-exaggeration alcoholic. I 100% use it as a coping mechanism. I've tried not drinking. I made it 6 months pretty recently before I started drinking again because life is just so boring. I don't have any goals or desires and I only continue to be alive because there are people who care about me and they would be upset if I killed myself. "Sobriety" only replaces my addiction with other habits, like videogames, shows, movies, writing, etc that I use in the exact same way. I am an escapist, who got it into his head a long time ago that it's better to ignore reality than deal with it, and I don't need substance abuse to do this, but it makes me the happiest to do it that way.

I'm honestly doing pretty good right now, I just accidentally came out of my shell too much and engaged idiots on the internet. Normally I just stick to posting in the 3-4 threads I have on SA and drinking by myself, which works pretty well.

I'm not suicidal, I'm not a danger to other people, and I enjoy most of my day-to-day life. I have all kinds of modern conveniences and luxuries, I can't really ask for more. I can even afford video games and movies and streaming services. These sort of luxuries are almost meaningless sober. They are material and insignificant. But if I get drunk, my perceived reality shrinks from the entire universe to a small room, where these diversions are now relevant and important. Where the dopamine release I get from these interactions feels significant. When you're stupid from drinking, all your thoughts and ideas feel important and smart, and it doesn't matter if they aren't.

Intoxication and brain damage obfuscate the reality that I am just another ineffectual moron like everyone else.

basically I'm deciding if World of Final Fantasy is going to be worth drinking slightly less so I can afford to buy it this month. I already bought DQ Builders for full price, which wasn't planned. It wasn't even on my radar until I played the demo. And I might get FF15. I pre-ordered it for my roommate as a birthday gift cause he's really excited for it, so I'll probably wait to see what it's like before buying it for myself.

I usually buy like 1-2 full price game per year, so this is a seriously budgetary transgression already. It's a mindset holdover from my recent stretch of sobriety where I am used to having all the extra money I would normally be spending on alcohol. The transitory period is always rough. Either I'll cut back on drinking and keep buying games, or I will use alcohol to continue to be entertained by what I already have.

:therapy:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

It was about a literall monster that lived the protagonists's truck bod and replaced his engine and spun the axles with it's tentacles

Sounds like you're going through the early stages of brain death, except that yeah, I saw the trailer too and know exactly what you're talking about.

It looked awful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked Do4m a hell of a lot, but I did end up resenting the glory kills and usually only used them if I was clearing a challenge or really needed the health.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He's saying controllers are for subhumans.

*nods*

He's right.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

To me a bigger problem was cutting off parts of the level sometimes so you couldn't come back to search for secrets.
To be fair, I think that only happened in two levels, but I agree that it shouldn't happen in any.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That man wants to gently caress that dinosaur.

Stop posting that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lizard Wizard wants to gently caress a dinosaur?

The plot thickens...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

tap my mountain posted:

You know why they call it the Nintendo NX? Cause when you see it you'll be saying "next!"

Noice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gamer eat the eggs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So are the GB guys doing a talk-over of the NX stream or what?

E:Oh wait, it's just a preview trailer. NVM.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

There's also a pretty long list of publishers that are going to release games for the thing, including EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Those guys are pretty much the definition of AAA these days.
I remember a similar list at the 3DS launch. Remember how there was gonna be a Saints Row game for that system?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So now that we know what Nintendo's next console actually is, remember when people thought that its controller would be completely buttonless because of a patent drawing?

:lol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, how is everyone doing today?

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

Well, it's a porter, so it's automatically better than anything lighter than it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Don't like bitter beers, don't like hoppy beers so it's porters, stouts, and (some) wheat beers for me.

Of course the real best beer to get started with is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chomp8645 posted:

I drink alcohol.
Heh. Yeah, you would.
*pulls up sleeves to reveal that dumb, stylized 'x' stamped onto a flabby bicep*
Im Straight Edge :smug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bicyclops posted:

*nods*

I had to explain to a bartender how to make a martini once, though. It was really loud so I kept thinking she couldn't hear me, but no. I gave up trying to shout the drink recipe over the music and just asked for straight gin. It was that kind of night

Gin or vodka?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played Metal Gear Revengeance M&K. Best way to play it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's a rarely discussed fact that both major candidates for the United States presidency are, at least in some part, gamers. They each like to unwind after a hard day campaigning with a little escapism, which is completely understandable for a Joe Nobody like myself.

Hillary Clinton has been known to fire up her laptop while taking a late-night flight back Washington, D.C. and load an old favorite, Dwarf Fortress. Losing may be fun, but she prides herself on the largely self-sustaining Dwarf Megalopolis she's cultivated since 2013. Her accomplishments in the game, unrecognized by all but herself and her industrious dwarves, include numerous underground greenhouses, a well-organized militia with a variety of weapons and training, and a winding maze of death traps for would-be attackers. Aqueducts and rudimentary piping supply fresh water to all levels of her fortress, and in times of war is used to flood the entrances as an effective, if slow, way to soak the competition. Reservoirs of food and water have made winters something that only happens on the outside. Capping off the happy colony is a darker shadow: Clinton has painstakingly designed her utopia to be equipped with simple quarantine methods. If a noble asks for something unreasonable, or a dead kitten has caused an outbreak of insanity, Hillary makes the tough call to have a leverdwarf pull the switch that drops a thick layer of stone between any entries and exits from the affected section. In time, when the situation has calmed down through cooler heads or the slow progress of starvation, special crews of dwarves are tasked with removing the remains and making the area inhabitable once again.

Donald Trump, sticking with the preferred PC system of both candidates, spends most of his scant free time roaming the virtual lands of Second Life. Trump begins most sessions walking around Trump Island, a rock in a digital ocean inaccessible to all but the few with Trump's permission. The halls are empty of life but filled with the highest ticket items available to buy with Linden Bucks, and a few custom pieces financed by cold, hard cash. Gold pillars, gold teddy bears, and gold chandeliers casting gold light onto gold rugs might be a jarring sight for some, but for Donald, it's just a home away from home. Of course, Second Life is about more than just having the best and the most; it's about socializing. When Trump leaves his island to commune with the simple folk, he makes a hard decision as to what avatar to best represent himself that day. One is a muscled figure, about 6'5" with a golden head of hair and a designer business suit almost ripping at the seams trying to contain the man inside. Another favorite: A colossal god, easily the equivalent of seven stories tall and made of pure light. As much as he longs to parade around his kingdom as the massive deity, each step it takes checks the permissions of a dozen districts on the mainland. This usually results in unexpected teleportation as $$TheDonald$$ has been banned by nearly 40% of active user spaces.

Our reporter also reached out the Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Johnson said that he enjoys challenging puzzlers like Angry Birds, and Stein stated that she "couldn't get enough of those Mario Boys."

And Bernie Sanders? Bernie Sanders plays Doom.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I'm looking for a good ARPG. I played a bunch of Path of Exile and really really loved it except for the fact that it's stupidly grindy and time-intensive. I liked how much flexibility you had to build your character, how tightly designed the economy was, and how the mechanics tended to interact with each other in cool and interesting ways. Is there a good ARPG like that that you don't have to sink hundred+ hours into to be informed that your character isn't quite good enough to do all the content unless you grind for another hundred hours?

Most people are probably gonna suggest you play Grim Dawn, but I'm including myself as one of those people.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A link, or any kind of explanation at all might help...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Out of curiosity, does this soldier resemble a certain short, balding Frenchman?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kirby Superscare! posted:

My absolute favourite thing was the pantheon. I have never seen such an impressive building. Also it is goddamn nuts that they have no real idea what it's made out of other than some olden days concrete that they cannot replicate!

Rome's p. dope, hope you ate lots of gnocchi, gentle mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

For one thing, the final mission is loving horrible and the last boss is a QTE battle.

Yeah, the last boss and the boss-right-before-the-last-boss were both really disappointing, especially considering the midboss fight was actually pretty cool.

• Locked thread