Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

you're not wrong but most people are gonna recognize it as a video game reference over the wife of the guy who wrote the Beautiful and the Damned

Most people are gonna recognize F. Scott Fitzgerald as the guy who wrote The Great Gatsby over The Beautiful and the Damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know. What is that garbage? A "designer" vr headset?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've only played a little of Kingdom Rush on steam, but I just booted up Dungeon Warfare for some screencaps, so!

Here's the main map screen. Each icon is a map, and they have varying layouts and paths and so on. The ones on the right get very, very difficult and you can see where I'm still figuring out how to solve the later maps.

Every map has these difficulty modifier runes. You can toggle on as many or as few as you'd like, and one of them is Endless mode - or easy mode.

Setting up a level is like this:

You pick from your available traps, plonk them down around the level, and killing heroes gets you more resources which you use to build more traps. So it's kind of resource management - buy more dart traps, or upgrade them, or save up for the sawblades or thunderbolt traps. You can earn XP through the levels to power-up traps too, and it gets fairly complex.

I like it a lot!

I have enjoyed some tower defense games, but ultimately I have ideological beef with how most of them are scored: I want to be rewarded for killing enemies with the most efficiency. Most tower defense games reward you for killing enemies as late as possible. I get that this is like a core element of the genre, but I think it's dumb.

Are there any tower defense games that reward killing quickly rather than keeping enemies alive as long as possible before killing them?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm so glad Transformers: Devastation is free this month, it's very good. Though I feel a bit bad since I also got Vanquish for free. I promise I'll buy their next game.

Wait, on what platform?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

PS4, the Re-REmake is also free this month.

Where does it show up? I have a gently caress of a time finding the free games every month. Is it not up yet? I found REmake, but I couldn't find any other free games. I hate the PSN store so much. STOP TRYING TO SELL ME PS+. I OBVIOUSLY HAVE IT.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. I stopped ever selecting things that said Playstation Plus, because 90% of those just take me a screen where I can buy more ps+.

I will look there, thanks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

it's criminal that the wii u never got anything like that

yeah, the Wii U controller is basically made for being a DM. It's really dumb they never did anything with that potential.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Also, I wish people would stop equating tabletop roleplaying with D&D.

This. I love tabletop role playing and do ot care for D&D at all. I end up playing it because I've never met anyone who actually played anything else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ah yes, DnD for people who don't like good games.

DnD is already for people who don' t like good games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?

I fly into a rage, making insane threats. I claim that people like him are what's wrong with society and make threats of violence and wish terrible woes upon him. Hopefully the police will come to my house. (I don't think I have any relevant skills.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
the trad games subforum on here is actually really dope. I used to lurk there a lot.

Tried to get a skype of Polaris going once. It was really fun, but we never did a second session.

Polaris is really dope. I also bought the adaption of it that takes place in Muslim Iberia called "Thou Art But A Warrior", but I never played it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Mage Knight looks p fuckin neat

A) yes it does, and B) it's reimplemented by Star Trek: Frontiers. So if you like Classic Star Trek instead of wizards, there's that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Theyre both expensive as gently caress I imagine so I'm likely not gonna get to try either

Mage Knight is $60 on amazon. That's pretty much par for board game prices.

Unfortunatly, board games only go up in price over time, unless they are re-released. It's a real shame. There are some really good games that are only super expensive because they are rare.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

I tried playing a game of VtM on the play-by-post subforum but I realized it's not my thing. Without actual people around you to shittalk and have fun, P&P RPG's are kinda boring IMO.

Yeah, play by post is hard, but getting on skype or something is a lot more interactive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i listened to all of the audio logs, in mgs5 that is. good stuff

The audio logs in MGSV were great, but I had a real problem with how playing and resuming them worked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Play by post makes me anxious because I get mini-writer's block and/or forget about the threads for a while and then I feel like the worst person ever for holding things up.

Play by post is just awkward. It's hard to keep momentum and roleplaying without immediate feedback for other characters turns a social activity into a weirdly compartmentalize activity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
just read grognards.txt

It's the best poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You are 100% right. They do collectors editions and preorder poo poo like nobody's business.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Nah man check out some of the gears of war and call of duty limited editions from the height of their popularity

Yeah, two of the most popular franchises in American had some crazy poo poo. It's way more common in Japanese games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Transformers: Devastation is really good, but I'm really bad at it. I spent like hours last night stuck on fight where you fight the two green guys. It feels really unbalanced. I'm hitting them with combo after combo and barely doing any damage while they kill me in 4 hits. One time I killed one and got the other down to sliver of health, but then I hosed up a dodge and died.

Is there a way to look up combos?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I'm probably loving something up real bad. I don't understand the inventory system at all. It's possible that bumblebee should not be trying to punch this boss to death.

Like I keep picking up weapons, but I cant find a way to view then. Can I only see them at the green logo checkpoint where I could select characters?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm pretty good at the dodging, it just takes dozens of dodge combos to kill one of them.

What charges the special?

Also sometimes when I get hit by an attack it just stuns me and I just stand there eating hits until I die.

Edit: oh poo poo, there's a leveling up mechanic in this game? Is that important? I can't figure out what the stats do... they are all 3 letter abbreviations and I can't tell what effect increasing them has... leveling up strength didn't change melee damage.

Edit again: made a bunch of progress this morning. I'm now on the third pair of constructicons. It's definitely a great game and I'm having a lot of fun, I just wish I could understand more of the stuff.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

What game is this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gears of W4R is the only game I'm sad I can't play on ps4, but I would never get a bone just to play it. I got a ps4 for Bloodborne and it was worth it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

At E3 didn't they say pretty much every big Xbox One exclusive would be released on PC too

Yeah but I don't have a pc that can run game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a gaming PC.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did DQ Builders come out today? I hope to buy it on the way home...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm gonna wait until I finish the DQ7 remake and I hear some more opinions. Not gonna drop $60 on a Minecraft clone, no matter how cute, unless the amount of "non-Minecraft clone" content is significant.

But even if that's all it is I'll get it eventually just to support more DQ coming to the US.

I mean I played the demo. It was really fun. I wouldn't be interested in it if I hadn't. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it without playing the demo, but I'm not sure if the demo is still available now that the game is released.

Just the fact that the game recognizes types of rooms and you can level up your based by building them is pretty cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also DQ Builders has a Vita version.

Exclusives just aren't as much of a thing anymore.

edit: ^god damnit

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What is a "Gaiden"?

It's in the names of lots of games. I don't know what it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Japanese for 'side story' pretty much

That makes sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do you think you're still going to start the game as a terrorist in the FF7 remake?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Materia can't melt life streams!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well I bought DQ Builders.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I'm not even home yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well now i cant install because there's not enough space in system storage. Not that it will tell me how much space it needs. My poo poo keeps getting corrupted though because despite having over 30 gigs free, it never has enough space for anything. I fixed it once, but it took like 8 hours and basically only stayed fixed for a few days.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well they gave me the wrong game. Put a dq heroes disk in my dq builders box. Didn't notice until I got to the main menu.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, went back to gamestop, actually got DQ Builders this time. I assume. This one is sealed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

lol at gamestop

I mean yeah it's dumb, but it was an honest mistake. Just it shouldn't ever happen doesn't mean it's not going to. They have really great customer service at my local gamestop, so I don't really have any issues with then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
DQB is stupid dope. There is so much to do. I'm just barely past where the demo stopped, but already have a ton of new recipes.

• Locked thread