Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZMlSZzUu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy4EIvvVj4

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm getting that once-yearly itch to reread all of Negima->UQ Holder, the only manga series ive cared enough to keep regularly current with, despite being in the middle of a Bendis Avengers read through and the fact that's 500 chapters of manna.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I sympathized with him in that moment. He can't control his power, it's just always on. Imagine being a moral person with that powerset; you couldn't so much as ask someone what they wanted for dinner without worrying that you overrode their free will. I imagine it'd drive you mad quite quickly.

He can though, or at least does when buying the house.

Ive actually given some serious thought to what a comic starring the son of one of Kilgrave's victims, who would have the Purple Man's powers but 1) couldn't turn it off, ever and 2) wasn't a mass-murdering sociopath would be like. Because basically it'd be a comic where the protagonist could never, ever speak in declarative sentences. Imagine what life you'd have to lead if you had to police your language to the point where literally everything you ever said was either vague, rhetorical, or a question.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The best part is that the founder of Domino's founded some super-Catholic city in Florida.

Yes, he FOUNDED A CITY. It's super homophobic and you can't get birth control.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Make a discord.

And, yes, I'd visit a BSS discord.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'll see if I can set up a Slack.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: i deleted it

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Having never used slack before it just seems like discord except with the "team" motif, it's got virtually the same toolset.

As far as I can tell the sabss slack is a public team so you can just join if you have a slack account and a link to the slack itself, which I provided above.

ed: gently caress it, just use the discord Endless Mike posted, this whole "team" bullshit seems overly complicated and they're near-identical platforms anyways.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That woman behind you at the counter is like the Platonic loving Ideal of "Woman Working a Convention Show Floor Booth".

Bunch of buttons on a vest, half-sleeve tattoo, prominent bang peeking out under a beanie, lanyard, barely-concealed sneer at all the sweaty nerds around her.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm imagining Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde observing Yom Kippur and that might be the single funniest loving mental image I've ever had.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Batman TAS is by far the best and, quite frankly, only good characterization of Harley Quinn, considering it invented the character.

There's about a billion female Marvel superheroes that fill the idealized, non-rapey or sexualized version of Harley she actually never was or is that a young woman getting into comics would be far better off reading then "sexpot hot lesbian who blows up kids with nintendo DSes".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why did Squizzle leave us.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kieron Gillen, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ryan North, and Chip Zdarsky are all must-follows.

Squirrel Girl actually has a twitter (the tweets at the beginning of an issue are tweets her account actually makes) so you'd be remiss not following her.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also Saitama isn't a joke character. Like...at all.

His abilities are obtained via a joke and he was set up as the logical endpoint of super powered shonen comic superheroes, but he has an arc, he grows and changes, and his abilities are reflective of his personality. And without getting all spoilery about it he gets seriously challenged both mentally and physically even with his one-punch powers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know, once you know that Gerard Way is a Morrison protege, you rewatch MCR's music videos and that mother fucker shows up a LOT.

"Look at that generic bald dude in the back-oh, that's Grant Morrison again"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I bought a few long boxes the other day at a garage sale, didn't see anything great but at the price I paid I can turn them in at work for store credit and it will be totally worthwhile. So I just hauled them into the store tonight to work on them and look what I found!

Second appearance of Iron Fist! In this shape this is easily a $100 book!

*eating from a HUGE bag of Cheetos* You mind if I give that a read first? *grabs it out of your hands before you answer*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm kinda skeeved that people are openly celebrating Jack Chick's death on social media to the level where he's a Hussein/Osama or even a Phelps or Limbaugh. Dude was a lovely homophobic racist idiot that literally everyone but him regarded as a laughingstock, whose life's work is regarded as ironically "good"/spawned a wave of socially satirical parodies. He was a dumb weird old man who nobody took seriously, and there's this whole contingent of people gleefully celebrating his death as if he caused any real harm whatsoever.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 25, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2016/10/24/haw-haw-haw/

Not saying it's a reason to celebrate (I, myself, am just hoping his ideas don't long outlive him), but he was far from harmless.

Fair point. I get the humanistic predilection to celebrate a monstrous human being's death (I was pretty loving glad when Thatcher and Scalia died, for instance, and felt unbelievable relief over Osama's death), I just never really felt like Chick was ever worthy of that level of scorn. I absolutely disagreed, loudly, with everything he ever wrote, but this sense of "ding dong the witch is dead" I'm getting from social media feels kind of ghoulish in this specific case.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's transparently clear Bendis meant "It's a larger systemic sexism issue that happens to include comics within it, being that it's an industry dominated by 20-to-30-something straight white manbabies who get their every need catered to and throw gigantic loving fits when something isn't marketed solely to them, like movies or video games or TV or basically any form of media ever". Which is, you know, absolutely true. And something he has direct experience with, considering what happened when he created Miles Morales.

Or, you know, pretend that BMB is some All Lives Matter-rear end, gamergate-rear end douchebag despite that running in direct conflict with 1) virtually every single comic he's ever written 2) how he's lived his life 3) everything he's ever openly said and done about increased minority representation in comics.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Starsnostars posted:

Bendis has since said on Twitter that he wanted to say that it was a nerd culture problem rather than purely a comics problem but because he tweeted at 3am it didn't come across as he wanted.

So literally what I intuited from the original tweet in the first place. Man it feels good being right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

"I am leaving comics because of problem"
"Comics does not have this problem"

:shrug:

Twitter is a bad place to express a nuanced opinion, more at 11.

He's clarified his original opinion, said he settled the matter with Cain privately, deleted the original tweet (ed: actually he didn't do that, my bad), and admitted culpability while making abundantly clear he wasnt trying to marginalize her opinion. At this point pretending he was trying to silence Cain is arguing in openly bad faith.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 26, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

No one is actually arguing that, just that it sounded really lovely and a side glance is justified. You're getting way too defensive. Wait, are you Bendis?

Multiple people on this very page have argued that he was trying to shut Cain down.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The most recent issue of The Ultimates has, and I am not exaggerating here, the worst art I have ever seen in a comic. Ever. Like, as in I seriously think I could do a better job drawing certain pages than the artist. And what's weird is that its so inconsistent, like some pages are great and some are poorly colored blotches that we are supposed to just imagine are humans because they're colored pink or dark brown. It is loving insane. As far as I can tell there weren't any fill in pencils either, it is just that atrocious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, and that's what I'm talking about when I say inconsistent. Those are like the first three pages, and they're loving great.

But then you get horseshit like this:

Or this:

Or this:

And it's actually physically repulsive. And I'm not usually a guy who gets all hung up on art - I'm not an artist, so don't feel like I can or should judge, and as long as the images convey the intended meaning I'm more or less fine. Like, I'll recognize really good art for what it is and really amazing art can help create or emphasize mood or whatever, but as long as it does the bare minimum of making the writing function as sequential narrative I'll cut it a lot of slack. I didn't especially love that digital artist guy they got on Invincible Iron Man after the main guy went on to draw CWII, but he worked well enough to make the issues work, so whatever. This just felt like I was reading some barely-sketched in characters colorized terribly to the point that it actively distracted from Ewing's (excellent) writing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Both Captains America books being written by Spencer are deeply political; Sam Wilson deals more with real-world modern politics, with Sam having to deal with institutionalized racism/the militarization of police/people insisting he step down as Captain America because he has opinions and is willing to publicly express them, while dealing with the fact that he's, for all intents and purposes, the most visible and famous black man in the world and the insane and unfair scrutiny he's being subjected to as a result. His enemies are usually exaggerations of real-world, politically aggravating societal issues like corporations performing legal but deeply unethical work, corrupt politicians working to depress the disadvantaged, a segment of militarized racists attempting to exact their own brand of justice on immigrants, and so on.

Steve Rogers is more philosophically political, dealing with the appeal of fascism as a methodology one could openly subscribe to or how it lures people into thinking it's right or just, and the deeply broken brain chemistry that makes a fascist. It's timely mostly because of the Trump campaign, but it's more of a generally political take over a specifically political one like Sam Wilson. If anything, it puts a fine point on how incredible of an idea Captain Hydra was, because it forces readers to confront how horrifying and grotesque the thought processes and beliefs of people like Trump supporters are by having an icon of pure, noble American patriotism in its most beatific form say and think them. It ends up making readers think, really think, about what the gently caress one of the two major political party's candidate for president is saying, which obviously pisses off straight white male manbabies who can't stand to have their beliefs challenged.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The amount of tumblrcarers Super Upset that Nick Spencer calls them out for glorified slacktivism as he insists that the best way to support Cain/Mockingbird is by buying the comic is delightful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I...think WH was making an ironic joke about the kneejerk/ super reactionary opinion to Captain Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As an aside, the new RTJ single is straight fire. I'm so, so loving pumped for RTJ3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b9n0Amr9RI

• Locked thread