Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bob Kane, regarding the gay subtext in Batman comics and TV

quote:

Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness—just the opposite image of the fag. Wertham read homosexuality into this thing because I had a man and a boy living in a big house together—in the same bedroom—with just a butler and no female around. The doctor read homosexuality into it, through his eyes, but for that matter he also put down the WONDER WOMAN comic as a lesbian invention.

Yeah, there's no gay subtext in Wonder Woman at all, Bob. Go on though, let's see how deep you can dig this hole.

quote:

It was all hogwash but I had to do something about it anyway. So I changed their bedrooms and I added Aunt Harriet—sort of a mother to both of them.

Love how this basically takes the aspect of Stan Lee people can't stand, his love of taking credit for EVERYTHING, and manages to make it more poisonous. What else ya got Bobbo?.....

quote:

Even so, I suppose the homosexuals like the TV show because of those tight outfits Adam West and Burt Ward wear. I imagine they sit around watching them on the screen and slap each other on the knees with the sheer joy of it all, but what can you do about that? I can’t change the characters because they weren’t homos in the first place and because you have to be crazy to fight success.

I hope Streranko really did slap the poo poo out of you. Sincerely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean, I suppose the attitude is a product of the time he came of age, but gently caress's sake, what an awful way to look at something you don't understand.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I used to really like Peter as a person. He could be preachy as hell, but I usually agreed with his core points on his blog. I'm a bleeding heart lefty, and up until this, he came off much the same.

gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't it Chuck Dixon that said some really gross poo poo about gay people? Or am I mixing him up with Chuck Austen?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was wondering earlier, whatever happened to the notorious Pat Lee (a.k.a. Michiyamenotehi Funana) of DreamWave infamy?

Never heard of this. Cliffs notes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe former Justice League artist Mike S. Miller is meant to have said some bad stuff about gay people (he has previously claimed to have been "pinklisted" by DC for his opinions on the matter). I don't know if Dixon has said anything, but he's very open about his conservatism and his Christian faith, so he could well have done. I know for a fact he complained about Mia Dearden being HIV positive because he didn't think it was appropriate for a superhero comic, but that's all I know.

It's all here.

Real piece of work, that Pat Lee.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the current Power Man/Iron Fist series good stuff?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

Eh, it's not great but it's been good enough to hold my interest

Considering my intro to Luke Cage as a kid was that weird early 90's series where he fights somebody with extremely similar powers and fucks Dakota North (I think) and it wasn't a turnoff, sounds good enough to me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just watched An Open Secret. Never want to watch anything having to do with Bryan Singer again. What a scum sucking piece of poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Is that about how he had Brad Renfrow murdered?

It's about the culture of child abuse in Hollywood, and it names names. He's front and center, and it talks about how he employed a convicted sex offender who used to work at Nickelodeon for abusing kids on X-Men. I think he may have sued over the movie, I know he sued somebody over accusations. At one point they do mention the threat of murder as a coercion tactic but don't mention him specifically in that section.

The damning part for Singer, aside from the employing of a convicted sex offender, is that he helped fund some half-assed attempt at re-creating MTV on the web before the web could really handle it called DEN (Digital Entertainment Network)that was very much presented as a way to attract young boys to the people who were behind it.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 24, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'll have to watch it. Even though they retracted the accusation Renfro's family was pretty sure Singer was involved in his death.

It's on Youtube for free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWFjWnuCQE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol at the walking dead tv show

People reacting is blowing up my Facebook right now. Thankfully, I've never liked Walking Dead.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I'll bite, what happened? I stopped watching seasons ago.

Something major, otherwise can't really parse it because people are reacting while trying not to spoil it for their friends. I assume somebody died, because there's a lot of "gently caress YOU ROBERT KIRKMAN"'s.

poo poo, people have been saying that here for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I kinda want Patton to write some more comics. I liked his "Dirty Dozen but with Batman as the leader and weird versions of his villains as the rest of the group" proposal, and JLA:Welcome to the Working Week was fun.

• Locked thread