Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
100% control over your memory would be a good power. You could remember everything you've ever seen or done, but you could sort all your memories into files for ease of access, switch parts of your memory on and off, and you could have a kind of recycle bin for bad memories, with the option to delete the worst ones forever.

It would be very helpful for exams and such, because you could activate your accumulated knowledge of the subject matter (and all you'd have to do to revise would be to ensure that you have read all the materials once) while cancelling any potential distractions by temporarily switching off irrelevant memories.

That's one I've thought about a lot. It would be my favourite "realistic" power. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

You need the pain, did Star Trek V teach you nothing!?

All I learned from that movie is that God probably doesn't need a spaceship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering earlier, whatever happened to the notorious Pat Lee (a.k.a. Michiyamenotehi Funana) of DreamWave infamy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't it Chuck Dixon that said some really gross poo poo about gay people? Or am I mixing him up with Chuck Austen?

I believe former Justice League artist Mike S. Miller is meant to have said some bad stuff about gay people (he has previously claimed to have been "pinklisted" by DC for his opinions on the matter). I don't know if Dixon has said anything, but he's very open about his conservatism and his Christian faith, so he could well have done. I know for a fact he complained about Mia Dearden being HIV positive because he didn't think it was appropriate for a superhero comic, but that's all I know.

quote:

Never heard of this. Cliffs notes?

It's all here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

He's gonna come back in November and he's gonna make BSS Great Again.

You know we're gonna keep the chat thread open and load it up with some bad dudes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really enjoy all of those Emily Carroll horror comics, but the only problem is I don't always understand a lot of them. They're too clever for me!

I remember reading "When the Darkness Presses", I even wondered whether there was some special significance to the fact it had banner ads while her other comics tended not to!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's really awful. He was only 54. Thoughts are with his family. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

He's sleeping with the Moon Gods now.

He's ascended to the 8th level where he will learn the real power.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I won't mourn for Jack Chick and I won't pretend he or his beliefs are due any sort of respect just because he has died (his entire theology boiled down to "My beliefs make me better than you" so there isn't really anything to respect about them), but I certainly wouldn't celebrate his death. It just seems wrong to me. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

[extremely Sam Jackson voice] Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell

I actually had never even read one of his cartoons or whatever so I'm kinda ambivalent here if that's not clear

You obviously know his stuff well enough to quote them. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Having read many, I only ever found Chick's Christian beliefs notable for how severe his anti-Catholicism was. Everything else was just basic street evangelism that happened to be in a quirky comic book.

Chick's anti-Catholicism was pretty extreme even by the standards of most varieties of Protestant fundamentalism, which seem to have some sort of theological basis to their sectarianism; Chick's anti-Catholicism was essentially conspiracy theory.

Of course, in America, I think anti-Catholicism was historically tied up with nativism more so than actual religious debate - for one thing, most of the immigrants who arrived in America in the 19th and early 20th centuries tended to be Roman Catholics (Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans), and on top of that, there was the centuries-old view that Catholics are intrinsically disloyal because they owe political allegiance to the head of another temporal government, i.e. the Pope.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reasonably sure the Bible does say you can't earn salvation through good deeds, but at the same time, I'm also fairly certain that the couple in the strip were actually identified as being evangelists as well, so they presumably have been teaching people about the Bible, spreading the word and so on, but apparently that wasn't good enough for some reason. Presumably because they weren't using Chick tracts to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

trashbuilder posted:

Man what is going on on comics twitter today?!

HOLY! I always knew the stereotype of lovely MRA superhero nerd, but they are all coming out of the wood work and going full hog. Or am I just staring too close into the black hole that is "The General Public"

This guy is terrible but he's so pathetic about it that I can't help but smirk at him.

• Locked thread