Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Comics are good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

:stonk: Jesus, Jim.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

100% control over your memory would be a good power. You could remember everything you've ever seen or done, but you could sort all your memories into files for ease of access, switch parts of your memory on and off, and you could have a kind of recycle bin for bad memories, with the option to delete the worst ones forever.

It would be very helpful for exams and such, because you could activate your accumulated knowledge of the subject matter (and all you'd have to do to revise would be to ensure that you have read all the materials once) while cancelling any potential distractions by temporarily switching off irrelevant memories.

That's one I've thought about a lot. It would be my favourite "realistic" power. :spergin:

You need the pain, did Star Trek V teach you nothing!?

Anyway, I'd go for mind control. Best IRL cheat code ever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

All I learned from that movie is that God probably doesn't need a spaceship.

He needed one, he just never answered why.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 4, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe ease up on calling the kid a rapist. She might just like to cheat at poker.

I'm imaging stuff like "hey rich jerk, this is my mansion" and "Actually, I don't have to pay any of these bills". I'd pay taxes, though, because I'm a patriot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

A mighty weapon against hunger

But then there'd be the great responsibility to give it up to Galactus, or at least let it constantly be used to feed hungry people in a constant stream of pizza, or perhaps as an infinite fuel source.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Rhyno the supervillain over here

Does it count as supervilliany if you just refuse to share instead of doing something actively malicious? Is a man not entitled to the cheese of his pizza?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Face the power of my stand, [L'HOMME RUN]!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just want to understand any language. That seems like a pretty neutral power.

E: But I guess I'd have to work on appearing really trustworthy because what if no one believes my alien-world/dead-language translations?

On the other hand, it'd be a great chance to gently caress with people. "Yeah, according to these texts everyone from this ancient civilization put on animal costumes before they hosed."

Plus, you could be the ultimate programmer, and if you count body language, the ultimate martial artist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty cool that these fantastical biological processes in their genes operate in English and respect our metaphors.

American is the language Jesus spoke, after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Bob Kane was alive today he'd crow about how proud he is for creating such gay icons and how he's always supported gay rights.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

They were sleeping in the same bedroom of a mansion at first?

They were. The 50s crusade against indecency was the first time stuff like that started to seem unusual; before, people never thought about homosexuality at all, so there was nothing wrong with little boys wearing dresses or guys being super touchy with each other. It was an era before no homo.

Then Seduction of the Innocent hits store shelves and suddenly everyone thinks of Batman like this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He really is just deplorable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

Children's clothing (pink/blue, dresses/pants) and toys didn't become a thing until the 70's due to Madison ave type ad agencies grunt-working for big corporations. It wasn't a rallying cry against indecency, it was "how to do we create a sustainable, reliable, segmented market to sell more shirts/toys/shoes/hats".

That's true, but dresses and pants in general were still considered gendered when not applied to children, and were expected to slot into those roles as they got older. While marketing may have separated them in children to begin with, the societal inappropriateness of crossing the streams was a result of growing homophobia and misogyny when LGBT culture and feminism started gaining ground.

Always helped along by marketing, though, naturally, because advertisers love that poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Make a discord.

And, yes, I'd visit a BSS discord.

I have Discord~!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Society still has a long way to go, I see.

To be fair, the girls are based on an existing DC girl aimed franchise, although it's still pathetic that "girls in high school getting into wacky high school misadventures!" is automatically girly and the relatively normal action packed thing is for boys. It's like when George Lucas said he made his fairy princess movie as "Star Wars for girls".

Sidenote: Is that Batman with a sword? These toyetic animations are crazy awful, but I love the idea that their finally just going hogwild with merchandising and putting it in some media instead of just leaving the toys to have all these inexplicable additions and variants. When I was a kid I had like, eight different Batman toys wearing weird armor or whatever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

That DC Super Hero girls is a good comic and a great line of toys.

I agree, I like it.

site posted:

I'm confused, is the criticism for the toys that the boys line has the word action in it and the girls line doesn't?

As was already noted it's not the worst toyline gender divide but it's still notable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It reinforces that superheroes doing superhero things are for boys and girls can only appreciate the genre if it's feminized and defanged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

trashbuilder posted:

Having been to panels like that, I can say it is only ever awkward like that or a weird preaching to the choir thing. I obviously support diversity in characters but those panels with the "fans" they attract are just odd.

You don't really support diversity if you aren't interrogating random mildly famous about how they propose to solve every conceivable issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

how can a grown man in a professional job that involves interacting with the public be this stupid?

Like, this is when he's supposed to go 'aw gee sorry if my random racist rant offended, bye' and just slink away, not double down on saying 'ACTUALLY they are all human garbage and also hate gays!!!!'

What's funny is we could normally all agree the guy asking the question at every panel was kind of obnoxious and inappropriate, but Peter David is almost trying to be the bad guy here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, that's a good point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

It's also possible that people can be generally really good and nice and simultaneously hold one or two terrible opinions.

Obviously, but the discussion concerning his behavior is as much about how bizarre it is(even if he was a hardcore racist, going on that rant, doubling down, etc. is strange) and the fact that he had a stroke+strokes are known to alter people's personalities somewhat makes it not unreasonable to speculate there could be a connection.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe he had an iron bar flown through his skull?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I'm pretty sure the "breaks their kid's legs, look at that kid with a broken leg, the parents totally did it" is a racist rumor in and of itself akin to blood libel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it flu season? I feel exactly like I have the flu. I would kick something in frustration but I don't have the energy to move my leg.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Awww. :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw, thanks. :blush: The concern does help. I should probably get some sleep but I'm too tired to get up and lay down on my bed. Time to crack open Chris Sims' article about comics to read if sick while I still can and I'm not too delirious to concentrate on anything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:abuela:: To catch up on our debt, I pledge as president to sell the contents of Fort Knox to China. No more bullion!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Had to call the cops on a dude today who would not stop referring to Falcon and Black Panther as the N-word. He wouldn't stop and wouldn't leave but you bet you rear end the cops dragged him out of the store!

:stonk:

I mean, okay, I can expect a racist rear end in a top hat would say those words about those characters, but how can a guy be socially deaf enough to not shut up the first time people get upset? Crazy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

That is, no shade, the absolute best apology from somebody who did a dumb racist thing that I've ever read. He actually looked into it and concluded he was being a dumb racist just believing whatever other dumb racist people said. Kudos to him.

Yeah, this is awesome. Pleasant surprise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Pokémon Go players obviously haven't read 1984.

He's Situationism?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Steve Ditko is to Objectiveism as Worf is to Klingons. He's a noble true believer in the ideals in a sea of assholes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm imagining Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde observing Yom Kippur and that might be the single funniest loving mental image I've ever had.

Not all Jewish superheroes know each other, racist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I didn't say he was right. He just honestly believes his point of view is the best philosophy for society, in contrast to other objectivists who are purely of the gently caress you got mine school of thought.

Although I gotta say, as someone who's family has struggled several times with getting disability and stuff, the guy getting kicked in the pit for not being needy enough sort of rings true, though that's more a result of people opposed to welfare making requirements more and more strict and probably not what Ditko intended.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, yeah. I'm just saying, whenever someone says "Steve Ditko is an objectivist" there's gotta be an asterisk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Her appearance in the 66 Batman comic is pretty wholesome and fun. Other than that, though, you're SOL.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DC's big push at a female icon, everybody.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I would say Gwenpool, but uh, she kills some folk, no?

She's in the process of learning why it's bad, though. Good morals for a light kid comic. Hurry, ImpAtom! Get your sister Gwenpool at an early age so she doesn't end up a sociopath like me!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Excuse me Lurdiak, but I've watched every Batman movie, and I think that qualifies me as a mental health professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

I haven't actually read it but isn't there a Harley in bombshells? Is that too adult?

Well, it's called "bombshells".

• Locked thread