Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

New info - the pilot of the Hugo, that mystery antagonist machine with the twin shotels, is working for a faction called 'Hephaistos'. Some relation to Dawn Horizon? Yet another mercenary faction? Nobliss's personal pieces on the field?

That's probably supposed to be Hephaestus or a corruption of it. I bet they're a weapon manufacturer.

Edit: Looks like Hephaistos is a valid alternate way of writing Hephaestus so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Is that manga any good?

It is extremely blaaaaah. It's not as bad as like the 00 sidestory stuff but just thoroughly average and unremarkable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

It has a strong start, but then it meanders for awhile and the villains suck. I'm waiting on season 2 to finish before watching more and I feel like if you haven't seen anything Gundam in awhile your best bet would be to check out other things you missed (personally I say G-Reco, which I feel is a stronger show than IBO by every metric) while waiting to see if IBO season 2 screws the pooch or not.

This is very close to my own opinion. I'm not really going to be able to form a final opinion on IBO until I see where S2 goes because S1 fumbles the ending and it depends on if that fumble is picked up in S2 or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is by no means AGE-tier. It is at worst strictly average and unwilling to commit to messages which still puts it ahead of a good chunk of other Gundam.

That said I also don't find Mikazuki in S1 by itself a very compelling lead. He's likable and hilarious at times and has some genuinely excellent moments but he feels very static and a lot of the interesting buildup just kind of gets left to linger for S2. Like I said though, that's a "in S1 by itself." How S2 handles him will matter a lot. (And even at his worst he's still in at least the upper-middle tier of Gundam protagonists.)

Basically like I said "Season 2 is gonna determine a lot." It's not even like 00 S1 where you can kinda just watch it on its own.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

2014 was a really weird year since you had a whopping three Gundam shows airing at once- Try, G-Reco, and Gundam-san.

That's right, I just reminded you all that Gundam-san exists.

I remained disappointed Gundam-san wasn't the show I wanted it to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume Gaelio doesn't want to do anything to instantly set McGillis off because McGillis still has his sister and would probably (or at least he assumes he would) murder her in a heartbeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I thought that person meant the Naoki Urusawa Monster. And even if they didn't you should watch it anyways.

Yes, Monster is extremely good. Watch (or read) Monster. Also Pluto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

McGillis is definitely just telling Almiria what she wants to hear because she is a useful pawn due to being the heir apparent to the Bauduin family after Gaelio's "death" and also being head over heels for Macky because she's a little girl with a crush on a handsome guy who is nice to her. I don't think you need to worry about McGillis being an actual pedophile.

I mean, he's still a disgusting monster for manipulating a child, but we knew he was a disgusting monster the moment he betrayed and murdered childhood friends in cold blood.

To be fair "telling a young girl what she wants to hear" sure didn't stop people from applying that label to Char.

Overlord K posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't actually legitimately care for her to a certain degree in a familial way at the least because she was stuck with the situation as much as he was, not to mention the fact he seems to treat kids in general better than 90% of the people in this show. I won't be too surprised if he reveals she was nothing but a pawn to him in six episodes or so though.

Though I'm also still hoping he won't turn out to be the final boss, so maybe I'm just being too generous in that regard. :v:

I think you're missing the fact that McGillis can both care for someone AND consider them nothing but a pawn to him, as he's shown at least twice before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My basic problem with reading the writers is that they want to keep convincing me Naze Turbine is a better person than he is and that colors a lot of my feelings on "am I reading this right?"

Regardless, yes, McGillis was supposed to be creepy in that scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frankly that would be a step up as Orga presumably does not have sex with the people under his protection and employ.

No, shut up, your fanfiction isn't canon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't the original explanation of all the melee weapons and traditional firearms that all Mobile Suits have anti-beam weapon armor?

Nope. Previously beam weapons were supposedly not a thing that exists in the setting. The focus on melee weapons was because nanolaminate armor is incredibly resistant to ranged weapons. Ranged weapons still existed because having range is still useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Hahah any IBO suit with nanolaminate armor can defeat the biggest beam spammer from Seed. Or at least have a tremendous advantage.

Not really, no. You do know that IBO isn't the first Gundam show to have anti-beam stuff, right? Even SEED itself has anti-beam laminate armor. (It is what the Archangel is covered with.)

Likewise almost every SEED thing has phase shift armor so the IBO setting's heavy reliance on physical weaponry would be a big ol' downside to it there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Kind of interesting that nano laminate is actually amongst the strongest armor seen in gundam. Total gently caress you to beams and still rediculously strong against long range physical weaponry.

Nah, it's actually pretty standard for modern Gundam suits to be strong against both in some fashion. 00 obviously has GN particle stuff that allowed both physical and beam resistance (especially with actual particle fields), Gundam Wing's Gundanium Alloy heavily resists all damage, and Gundam Age's bullshit armor requires you to make laser beams that are also drills to damage it. G-Self naturally has Photon Armor which is insane bullshit only matched by everything else having insane bullshit and Turn-A is nanomachine superarmor.

(It's also hard to judge the relative strength of armor considering every Gundam series has its own base power level. IBO is on the low-end of things so it's hard to tell how it'd stand up to ridiculous insane bullshit like GN Weaponry.)

IBO being on the low end of the spectrum is its strength though. Regular explosives and magical space katanas are significant weapons and that's cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Mostly, beam protection equipment goes on the high end suits, wears out under sustained or heavy fire, doesn't defend against physical attacks, or some combination of the three.

As written, Nanolaminate also wears out under extended fire. We haven't really seen it but reapplying the nanolaminate covering is part of the maintenance. It's also a case where the strength of the armor depends on the Ahab reactors and how they're synchronized. It's certainly pretty strong but it isn't invincible god armor. (Which is good because invincible god armor would kind of suck.) That is outside of carriers which apparently are basically invincible flying bricks because of their sheer size and Ahab reactors. Nanolaminate armor only really resists significantly against physical ranged attacks. Close-up bludgeoning weapons or anything that can get into the cracks of its armor like the sword are both more than effective. (Ironically, Strike's Armor Schnider knives would probably be more useful than a lot of other weapons against IBO machines because they're solid weapons designed to penetrate armor.)

Nanolaminate Armor is interesting in that it fills basically the same role as Minovsky Particles.It means you can't fight at range and forces melee combat.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 12, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The combination of the ahab plus nano armor is insanely strong given how prevalent it is in the series. Its almost entirely passive absolute resistance to beams that remain operating as long as the neverending power of an ahab reactor doesnt fail. Its so definitive that it rendered beam weapons useless in the setting. The most common form of weaponry in Gundam, rendered useless by even the most grunt of grunt units

I think the "literally all beam weapons ever are worthless, IBO is the STRONGEST!" is silly. It's impossible to say what precisely level it could stand up to without melting. We already know that Nanolaminate Armor can be melted by napalm for example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overlord K posted:

The thing I'm most curious about is how exactly the Mobile Armor creates those Pluma if left to its own devices. Hard to imagine it sitting around putting them together like gunpla.

All jokes aside "nanomachines" could be the answer, it isn't like the IBO setting doesn't have 'em. Might be beyond the scope of IBO nanomachines but hey, it's the catch-all sci-fi explanation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The AIs were obviously created by the Trade Federation, duh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth noting that A-V surgeries are strongly discouraged and outright ostracized, supposedly intentionally as part of suppressing the technology, so it's very likely that the safest methods of doing them are not necessarily ones that were recorded or made available.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I'm not saying it is impossible, but between the assumption that Agnika used the system himself and Gjallerhorn's supposedly honorable backstory I have difficulty seeing them sending bunch of cyborged up ten year olds into combat.

I don't know, it's really easy for me to see Gjallerhorn taking a dark but necessary step and whitewashing the poo poo out of it until people forgot all about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I mean Gjallarhorn has an entire rank reserved for people who killed a mobile armor and I strongly doubt that Agnika Kaeru and every member of his merry band were all 14 year olds.

To be fair we ARE talking about a Gundam series here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundams don't have AV systems. The entire AV discussion has nothing to do with the age of Gjallarhorn's founders.

Yes they do. it is in fact a specific plot point that Gundams are specifically designed to take advantage of A-V systems. McGillis told us last season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm pretty sure no Gundam in the show to date has had come with AV system. Barbatos had to have it installed from a salvaged mobile worker; Gusion took its AV from a Man Rodi; Kimaris, Vidar and the two spinoff manga Gundams don't have AV at all.

The two were invented during the Calamity War which is why Gundams are broadly compatible with AV systems when installed, but there is zero evidence that the Gjallarhorn founders had AV.

Again, they specifically mention in Season 1 that Gundams were designed for A-V systems. It is their big advantage in addition to the 2 Ahab Reactors.

Edit: In fact the canonical reason that IBO has mobile suits instead of mobile armors is because the A-V system works best when you have a humanoid body because the A-V system basically makes the MS into your body.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine that, properly used, the AV system is good unless you push it to its limits. Mika however is using a lovely cobbled-together version of the AV system using lovely whiskers installed as cheap as possible by back-alley doctors. It's probably not a great combo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Lafter fought Mika to nearly a standstill in their first encounter and Mika is pretty much the high water mark for monster in this show.

It's worth pointing out though that Mika was explicitly piloting a crippled Barbatos in that fight. In comparison Ein stepped all over her without effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that if Mika ends up legitimately really hosed up after this I'll be pleased. I mean not pleased that would be awful but I admit in the back of my head I'm just waiting for "and then Mika discovers how to overcome consequences through magic," likely because so few shows are really willing to do that kinda thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why learn martial arts when you think you know how to throw a punch?

There's a few indicators that point to live pilots rather than EinBorgs, like the Kimaris being a hereditary treasure, and the Order of the Seven Stars. The Seven Stars themselves have their familial hierarchy based on who scored the most kills, and I doubt that'd have been set up if it wasnt so the respective pilot was the one benefitting.

I'd wager they went with a Spartan-II project like Halo's lore, recruiting/kidnapping kids and putting them through AV surgery and pilot training to fight MA's because they couldn't use adults.

And then the kids told them all to gently caress right off afterwards because they're top poo poo now, and anyone who disagrees can tell it to the underside of a Gundam's rapidly-approaching foot. These guys with the most kills? They're our leaders now.

And yours :toughguy:.

I have to say that would be an interesting inversion of the usual gundam formula. It's usually about how kids are the future but doing a "turns out that giving children weaponry and forcing them to fight a war creates some extremely hosed up kids, not the ideal next generation."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only reason they spared Lafter and Azee is cause they wanted to do more with them. This is going to be the final part of this iteration. Expect death and bad stuff.

It'd be nice to believe it but if they're willing to spare people for marketability once it raises the question of if they'll do it further. If there is, for example, any rumblings of an OAV or a movie inside the studio they might hesitate to go too far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest "Gaelio gave Mika the most trouble out of any pilot in S1" is like winning the tallest hobbit award.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So in a minor but of amusing news they just added Barbatos Lupus to the new G Generation game.

Nano-Laminate Armor offers 50% bonus damage reduction against physical attacks but does nothing to beam weapons.

Guess they didn't tell the developers about the beam thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

ADTRW at the beginning of Season One - "I like that this Gundam show is doing something cool and different, let's hope that they stick to that."

ADTRW in the middle of Season Two - "This is a bad Gundam show because they aren't pointlessly killing characters off to show how tough the bad guys are/how tragic war is like every other Gundam show."

Part of the thing that was 'cool and different' about Season 1 is that it had real meaningful long-term consequences to the violence and if someone got their poo poo wrecked in battle it left them at best maimed at and at worst dead. Even then it mostly just applied to the villains but it earned the benefit of the doubt until the end of Season 1 where the undid that.

Like, yeah, Gundam IBO not having a viscous body count is a downside to me because one of the strengths of the franchise was that it did that, not because 'other Gundam shows did it.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Except for the main character getting permanently disabled

Mika's injuries are from overtaxing his super suit and not from actual injury in battle. They're interesting (though I don't have a ton of faith in them sticking to the consequences but that may just be cynicism) but it isn't really in the same line as the actual direct combat being brutal and unforgiving. Like it's awful but it isn't awful in the same way as the Brewers kids being smashed or Carta getting beaten to death in her own suit or the countless low-level pilots who basically died unceremoniously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

At least G-reco had some fans. Who does IBO appeal to? Not the japanese and judging by the toonami thread, not the americans either.

IBO apparently does pretty well in the US from all reports. The Toonami thread is just one barometer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Like, I get it, I thought Edmonton fell a bit flat too, but these complaints are getting ridiculous because they're flat ignoring poo poo that is clearly still happening in the show.

If those things hit hard for you, that's fine. To me the character 'who has been around since episode 1' was barely a character and continues the show's problem with wanting at once to feel serious and consequential but keep it to the sidelines as often as possible. To me Edmonton didn't just fall flat, it undercut almost everything the show was doing. If you don't feel that way it's fine but it isn't because it isn't being like other Gundam shows, and the fact that they continued it with Vidar made it worse to me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fact that Tekkadan got out of the battle in Edmonton unscathed is important because it sets up where they are and how overconfident they are at the beginning of Season 2. I get thinking it was kinda weak while you were watching Season 1, but yeah,I don't think it's a reasonable criticism anymore.

I don't think their overconfidence is executed well enough to justify that. It isn't just Tekkadan who escape what in any other point in the series would have been assured death. To me Vidar is only a hair less stupid than, say, Neo Roanoke and only because of better execution and a slightly more plausible survival.

I've not posted too much in this thread as much largely because, yeah, I've been pretty disappointed in S2 so far. (Though it has had some strong moments.) I'm just sort of burned out on any criticism being met with "No, you whiny baby, you just don't know what you want!" instead of acknowledging that maybe people aren't buying into the show as much as you are. I don't want to burn down anyone's hype but I'm not criticizing IBO because it isn't being enough like other Gundams. I'm criticizing it because I don't feel it's being true to the ideas it puts forward. YMMV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

They've been so coy about Vidar despite the incredibly obvious set up and overt hints that I'm not entirely convinced there isn't going to be some crazy curveball thrown at that particular plot hook.

It's possible but I admit they'll have to earn that confidence from me, simply because "the guy in the mask with the obvious voice actor turns out to be the obvious character" is so insanely common that I wouldn't give any show benefit of the doubt. (Not to mention if it's a curveball it's going to end up increasingly nonsensical with how far they've gone to making it clear who the character is. If they suddenly reveal it's Carta's reanimated head attached to a cyborg body or whatever it'll be a twist but a dumb one.)

If they have a really strong and good reason for the twist then I'll be pleased but it'll have to be a hell of a good one to spend half the season pretending it's another character. I'm not trying to let my negativity overwhelm things and I'll be 100% pleased if the show exceeds my expectations because I have nothing to gain from it failing them and I really like the S2 mecha designs so I'd like to be happy with the show overall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the mask in Gundam is never really for the audience, it's for the characters at best and usually more to inform you about the character's mindset or state in some fashion.

Zebulon posted:

Not really sure why some people are determined to hate Naze or bitch that Tekkadan hasn't had some horrific, blatant, catastrophic fall. Is the Naze hate because they can't figure out the Turbines seen to pretty much just Tekkadan, "Harem" edition and that the whole thing is probably just a protection scheme to keep them from being exploited from assholes in Teiwaz or elsewhere?

Because they're presented as a perfect wonderful harem and Naze as a flawless selfless person who just happens to be banging the women he takes in for protection. Naze Turbine is basically the worst character in the show, lacking in interesting depth or flaws and seems to be there as a writer's crutch at best and a author's pet character at worst.

I get the idea behind it ("here is a non-standard family and yet despite being non-standard they're functional and it is necessary for them to survive in this cruel world") but the Turbines are presented without the sharp rough edges of the other factions in the show. Even being part of Teiwaz is mostly so they can be better than those guys. Frankly I think I'd like IBO twice as much if the Turbines were removed from it as a lot of my complaints stem from them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zebulon posted:

poo poo. I forgot about that. I had it in my head there was only the one baby and assumed it was his second in command's. Were there more shown/mentioned?

Yeah, there's a scene where Atra and I think Kudelia are hanging out with the ship's babies. (I think it's even the scene where Atra imagines her and Kudelia both having Mika's kid but that may come later.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adel posted:

Yeah, I also worry that they'll take back the damage Mika's done to himself. I'm hesitantly optimistic that they won't repeat S1's toothless ending just because they don't have another season to worry about, but who knows. Maybe Mika will become the show's newtype equivalent and that'll heal him to full or some other bullshit :v:

I'd accept Mika getting a robo body, though.

I don't want bad things to happen to Mika just because Bad Things Are Good but I do feel that Mika's plot is so heavily focused around tragedy and the damage done to him that undoing it would sort of weaken it. Mika is interesting because he's so hosed up, so abused and his life is so awful that it really drives home that it isn't awesome when he goes blood-crying-super-Gundamjin-mode and in fact it's horrible, hosed up and ruining his life and it really drives home how awful it is to use him as a pilot and what little choice he has as his options are stripped from him.

I suppose I do want to see IBO end as a tragedy not becaue I like tragedies but because the story is so tragic that anything less would feel like a step back from the natural edge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

. Seriously, when you guys say 'I hope they don't chicken out here', how do you even imagine them doing that?

By not actually following through on the consequences set up. Which I think is a reasonably justifiable fear considering the end of last season was Tekkadan on a one-way train to disaster-and-revengetown, with Biscuit begging them to stop and then ironically dying and fueling the flames more only to have it turn out entirely gravy for Tekkadan with minimal losses that nobody lingers on. Having to watch multiple episodes of Merribit's terrified fear for the children followed by it basically getting shrugged off in the last episode of S1

And people keep excusing it with "Well, they had to be prepared for Season 2" but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence when that means they were scared of making drastic enough consequences they'd be hard to write around in a sequel because now I have to wonder if they're going to do it again so that Mika is still perfectly available to pilot Barbatos Full Demon in the OAV about space dragons or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The consequences in S1 were a danger that bad poo poo would happen. The consequences here are that bad poo poo has already happened. Mika isn't just heading down a bad path, he's already there. He's half-paralysed, suicidal, and devoid of skills that don't involve killing people. Shying away from things getting worse would still mean that things are pretty loving awful. Again, in what specific ways do you see them going back on this that won't cause anyone to lose out in important ways?

Mika is paralyzed through bullshit A-V plot magic and it would be absolutely trivial for that to get reversed through any number of simple plot devices considering it's only happening because he's turning into a Gundam due to nanomachine spine magic. It would not be the first or last time a series introduced a seemingly long-term lingering plot problem for the protagonist only to undo it once the appropriate amount of drama was wrung from it. It's entirely too easy for me to imagine shows glossing over consequences or finding cheap outs. It's happened enough (including in IBO) that I don't think the cynicism is unjustified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no way in hell Mika isn't getting some mid-season upgrade to get him mobile again, because you can't have your darling pretty-boy protagonist laying in a cot with only one working arm for 12 episodes. The fangirls won't like it, for one :v:.

I don't know, I imagine the fangirls would be okay with it if it involved many tender scenes of Orga helping take care of him. :v:

• Locked thread