Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Mcgillis also being the second mask guy would be the best on so many levels.

:geno: - Why does the chocolate guy have another new mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mars isn't sending us their best. They are sending us their murderers and their psychopaths. And some, I assume, are good people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Hahah any IBO suit with nanolaminate armor can defeat the biggest beam spammer from Seed. Or at least have a tremendous advantage.

Kind of interesting that nano laminate is actually amongst the strongest armor seen in gundam. Total gently caress you to beams and still rediculously strong against long range physical weaponry.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

That only applies if the Archangel doesn't whip out its Lohengrins, though. Plasma beams are one thing, but you ain't coming back from an antimatter blast to the face. Unless you're Mu La Flaga, of course.

Honestly the Lohengrin's seem pretty drat close to on part with the blast that Ride just sucked to the face for no effect. The Lohengrin is basically the SEED variant of a Hyper Mega Particle Cannon off of something like the Nahel Argama, which seems pretty comparable to what we just saw from the IBO mobile armor. Though I do have a soft spot for the Lohengrin I will admit.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the "literally all beam weapons ever are worthless, IBO is the STRONGEST!" is silly. It's impossible to say what precisely level it could stand up to without melting. We already know that Nanolaminate Armor can be melted by napalm for example.

Except that is exactly how it is being portrayed with regards to beams. A lovely grunt suit took a sustained direct hit from a mobile armor's city destroying main beam weapon and the only components that appeared to be heavily damaged in the aftermath were the unarmored rifle that cooked off. Chad even commented "Yeah, he'll be fine, his armor can take it."

This is really unusual for beam weapons in any gundam setting. From your list earlier (just regarding armor):

Gundam Wing - Gundanium is drat close to immune to physical attacks at range but gets wrecked when faced with 'high output' beam weapons. The Deathscythe dies to a Beam Cannon equipped Taurus and Gundanium constructed Virgo Mobile Dolls die by the hundreds in the latter part of the show.

00 - E-Carbon is effectively immune to physical projectiles, though it does seem to be possible to damage it at close range judging by the attempt to take off Exia's head via smirnov. All four original gundams get trashed by mobile suit based weaponry and E-Carbon suits die by the thousands to beam weapons in the films. GN-Fields do a lot to improve survivability, but outside of actual Gundams they aren't exactly common or reliable.

Age - Is retarded.

G-Self and Turn-A - Magic prototype machines whose power swings wildly depending on what the needs of the plot. I'll agree they're both retardedly powerful, but I liken them to Silver Age Superman in that they can get knocked the gently caress out by Captain Blaster in one issue and take a punch from Super God in the next.

The point that I and others were making is that as far as standard armor in Gundam as a series goes, Nano-Laminate seems surprisingly good. A good comparison would be like an Anti-Phase Shift. It appears to be totally immune to beam weapons, to the point that nothing in the series even bothers carrying them, but unlike phase shift it also makes you immune to most long range physical projectiles as well.

It has it's weaknesses of course, because a show where every mobile suit is immune to damage would... well actually that might be kind of interesting. But as far as standard issue armor in a Gundam show comes, I still think it is definitely at the top of the pile.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

It is interesting but I don't think we can speculate yet, we know so little of the pre-Calamity War world so far. Since this one is on Mars and seems to be suited to wiping out population centers, perhaps the idea was to clear everyone off Mars, so maybe an anti-spacenoid faction on Earth. Or just generally a mess of different nations, ultimately developing MAs out of all their conflicts until the Calamity War where they go wild, ultimately leading to Gyallarhorn, the development of Mobile Suits and Earths unification under the blocs we've seen.

Was the ahab reactor a Calamity War development? Seems like if they were available they should have been on MAs so they didn't need to nab resources like that.

So TL;DR we can't speculate, here's my speculation.

I think the mobile armor is supposed to be equipped with an Ahab reactor. The point of it stealing fuel isn't so that it can keep running, it's just propelent for it's boosters/jump jets/whatever.

Even the Barbatos needs fuel. They've been pretty good about keeping things like that in mind and thst part was probably to cover over a plot hole as well as tell us how the thing can go non stop.

The fuel is probably also for the plumas come to think of it, unless they are electrically charged.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually it's mostly "I'm gonna gently caress over my abusive adoptive father and everything he stood for", by the looks of it.

I dunno, I'm getting more of a "My great, great, great, great granddaddy was Agnika Kaieru and you have all hosed up the vision he had." feel from him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adel posted:

It might be more like people got so obsessed with increasingly innovative automation that it naturally escalated into, "hey, why not have AI fight our wars for us? It'll reduce the loss of human life and surely nothing will go wrong :downs: " and didn't stop to think just because they could, doesn't mean they should.

And if everything is automated, that's a lot of jobs not going to poorer people and it's easy to see overly automated countries having a lot of poverty and huge class gaps. The manual mentioned that automation was a rich people thing.

It'd be interesting if they went the angle of Agnika Kaieru and the Seven Star founders being members of a lower class who came together to clean up the aristocracy's hosed up MAs and tried to set up a system where the rich couldn't make the same mistake, only for their descendants to rebuilt the aristocracy around themselves.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. I get a very Darius the great vibe with the seven stars. Noble families that supported him and so exist in perpetuity because of what their ancestors did.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adel posted:

Is it the conditions that make it dangerous, or is the procedure just inherently risky? A combination of both factors? And if it's the conditions, how much of an improvement is it? A 5% increase in success would be relatively negligible, but something like a 50% or higher increase would be a big difference.

At the very least, that's 72 kids plus whoever got used for testing (and I don't believe for one second there wasn't some testing on human subjects), and that's assuming a perfect 100% success rate. Even if they were more advanced at the time and had better facilities and resources, it was still brand new technology that's incredible complicated and invasive, as well as developed under pressure and with a need for urgency; the MA weren't gonna wait around while a bunch of nerds lovingly perfected it.

There is no certainty that the pilots were children.

The leader of gjallerhorn was almost certainly not a child, but judging from the reaction to Mika he absolutely was a mobile suit pilot, and probably one with whiskers at that.

We know that AV tech can work with adults having seen the Einborg. It seems entirely reasonable that when a military force is developing the gundams they could have also safely implanted grown soldiers rather than children.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The AV tech absolutely requires children, because it grows into their spinal column as a fundamental part of how it works. Einborg was a brutal surgical replacement, and all the Gundams we've seen have had conventional cockpits.

The subpar version of the surgery performed by (what I presume) the least drunk guy on staff to disposable children requires children.

We know the surgery can work on an adult, at least in the short term. The diagrams showing Ein hooked up in his garbage machine had wires attached to his spine so it clearly can function with a fully grown adult. As for the brutal surgery, it is unclear hoe much of that was required to get the system to work for him and how much of it was required because he was functionally dead without life support machines.

For all we know the surgery performed on adults (in safe conditions) works fine for a short period then cripples them for life. Or that it requires a more extensive setup.

I thin the Flaurus (the new one they dug up) is the only Gundam we have seen on the show that hasnt been heavily remodelled in the intervening years. We have no idea what to original cockpit for the Barbados looked like for example, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility that it was equipped with a more primitive or complicated AV system.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but between the assumption that Agnika used the system himself and Gjallerhorn's supposedly honorable backstory I have difficulty seeing them sending bunch of cyborged up ten year olds into combat.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No. The basic principle of the AV surgery is it integrates with developing nerves and grows into them, which is something entirely different to how it's performed.

The entire principle of the probably half baked version being used by a third rate backwater Merc group.

The basic principle you described has already been subverted in the shown events of the series itself, so it is clearly possible for AV to be used by adults, it's just a matter of whether or not that same capability or something similar was around during the calamity war.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Unlikely. Einborg was only possible since the 'horns were working on the system in secret for centuries while cursing it in public. It was presented as the bleeding edge, not just something that was forgotten.

Plus, if the wide use version was safe for all ages, there wouldn't be a child soldier edition exclusive to back alley street docs. It's not insane to think the current version is less safe (320 years of development vs. back alley chop shops, seems like a wash in my book but I can see it falling either way), but if the basic tech doesn't require child soldiers, there's no clear reason for the later version to pick up the caveat. Mars has enough riff-raff that being able to add late teens to the recruit pool isn't an active penalty, after all.

I'm not saying that it was ever safe for all ages, far from it. My argument is basically that AV as it stands works ideally on children. It works so well in fact, that it can be done by back alley doctors in lovely conditions and still have a decent survival rate when used on kids. But that doesn't preclude the idea that in a proper medical setting it could theoretically be applied to adults. I mean here is the description:

quote:

Aside from mobile suits, the system can also be used with mobile workers and ships. The Alaya-Vijnana system consisted of two parts: one part is installed in the mobile weapon, and the other part (informally referred to as "Whiskers") is implanted into the pilot’s spine (usually at a young age to let implant fuse as they grow, but can be done on young adult as in the case of Ein Dalton), those with the implant are sometimes derogatorily called "Rats".

For child soldiers it takes comparatively easily. Even a back alley doctor has about a coin flip on each surgery, which is why you see it being used on kids on mars. My suggestion is that what we saw with Ein isn't anything new. Galio wasn't surprised when McGilis suggested they Cyborg Ein, and that was before being introduced to the facility where the research had been ongoing. To me it suggests that it has always been possible to use the AV system on adults, but that it either had significant side effects over long term usage (Mikazuki's strokes etc), was cost prohibitive, or has a very low survival rate. For kids the danger is Pneumonia. It sucks, but even people in lovely situations can survive it with minimal treatment. For adults it is ebola, and you better hope to god you're in a first world hospital or you are hosed.

I mean, I'm not saying it is impossible that the precursors to Gjallerhorn decided that their only option was to put children into mobile suits, certainly wouldn't be the first time the series has suggested it, but I have a really difficult time imagining the founder of Gjallerhorn as a fourteen year old boy. Especially after I just went back and watched some season one material where they talk about the joining of the economic blocks to push for the R&D to develop A-V and the Gundams.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big thing is that Ein's procedure is not the same as what's done to the kids.

The point of the normal AV surgery is it integrates with their bodies and takes root as they grow, letting them live a normal life with the Whiskers. Ein's spinal connections are clearly just brute-forced in, because there's no concern for things like loss of normal motor function with his arms and legs lopped off.

There is nothing clear about how that is 'brute forced' in. It shows three connections put directly into his back in the same three places that you normally would for an AV system. The only difference between this and the normal system we see with Mika is the lack of the single entry point cover, but considering they are installing half a human being making it easy for him to get in and out in a quick fashion is probably not a primary concern.

All I'm saying is that we know it is possible for AV to work with adults, so it isn't guaranteed that Gjallerhorn's founding members were all children.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gundams don't have AV systems. The entire AV discussion has nothing to do with the age of Gjallarhorn's founders.

Episode 22 (I believe) has McGillis talking with Galileo about cyborging Ein. He talks about how lovely the calamity war was, how Gjallerhorn was formed by the economic blocks to stop it, and how their method of doing so involved creating 72 Gundams and the system that would make them unstoppable.

He goes on to wax poetic about how the founders gave up their humanity to save the world, and Galileo comments on the irony that the system used to put an end to the war is now a stigmatized relic that a lot of people point to as a cause of the war.

AV was specifically designed for the Gundams. You are correct that none have had cockpits with it built in, but that seems a result of centuries of stigma about the system more than anything.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Am I crazy or did that axe thrown by Chad feel like a gigs drill breaker reference? Just the motion it took I mean.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adel posted:

Ah ok, thank you for clearing that up for me; Daisuke's app is such garbo that scrubbing through an episode to rewatch a scene is impossible. And that's a good point about the current AV hardware being poo poo compare to what they had during the Calamity War, that would definition explain why the systems are getting overloaded.

It was chilling just how casually Mika explained it, too; it's like he's turned himself into human debris. And since there's no way Mika isn't coming out of the upcoming fight without impairing his body further, I hope we see more of a reaction from Orga beyond being mortified but doing nothing. If the show avoids having Orga take any kind of responsibility (either by changing their relationship for the better or just going all in on Mika being his weapon) it'll be disappointing as gently caress.

I think this sort of goes back to my point from last week that the AV we are seeing in use in the show is indeed sort of a lovely knock off of the version used in the calamity war.

The Gundam is designed to do either one of two things:

- Have pilots with a higher 'bandwidth' that are capable of accepting all the input that the suit can provide.

- Absolutely stroke out their pilots anytime they get into combat with a Mobile Armor.

Admittedly the latter is certainly possible, especially in total war sorts of situations, but we know from earlier episodes that a higher number of whiskers allows you to take data much more safely. I think it was Shino who plugged into the Barbatos and just got wrecked by it as an example.

Seems reasonable that the original gundam pilots had four or more whiskers and this wasn't really a problem.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The latter is really doubtful, considering the Gundams and the AV System were specifically created to fight the things. It's much more likely the system is trying to go full-power and hits a hardcoded system error due to AV connection/bandwidth issues.

Agreed. The error is pretty obviously a result of safeguards put in place later/the tech being used simply not being able to keep up with the tech that was used at the time. That said I could absolutely believe that the system is never safe at full power, and that any time it is used as such it leads to physiological damage for the pilots.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It wouldn't hard-lock like that two steps away from a Mobile Armor. That tends to make a pilot dead.

You're misunderstanding. The pilot damage and the system lock up are two different (but related) things.

For the sake of argument, assume that full power always causes strokes. It's just an inherent fact of the system in this case. When Gjallerhorn was using the system this was understood and everyone accepted the risks because you were talking about possible extinction so a couple of cripples are acceptable. After the war the system sees somewhat widespread use but since extinction is no longer an issue they install limiters as a safeguard that shut the suit down if it tries to feed the pilot too much info. The gundams have internal coding that ramps them up to 11 the second they get near a Mobile Armor, and the interaction between this first generation coding and the second generation safeguards causes the Gundams to shut down.

It is entirely possible (though far from certain) that the AV system could be crippling even when used under the best of circumstances. Then again I actually agree with ImpAtom that the system as it was actually used during the Calamity war was probably comparatively safe for the pilots, its just the third rate 'Jab the kid with this and see if he lives' Mars variety that is so lovely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So bit of an interesting note that my more obsessive friend brought up with me today. Gundam eye color in this series tends to match the use/level of use of AV by the pilot:

The Guison and Kimaris both have yellow eyes, as do all of the Graze variants seen throughout the first season, and none of those have an AV system installed.

When the Guison is upgraded it now has the same green eyes as the Barbatos, the Asteroth, and the newest Ryusei Go (Flauros).

The Garbage Can Ein had a red eye when it got serious and opened its visor, unlike the yellow eye of your typical graze, which would match what we saw from Barbatos when it similarly went all out.

Likely just a cute artistic touch at best, since the simplest answer is that the Guison still had the green eyes under the visor they'd jammed over it, and that the Kimaris had simply been remodeled, but it is a pretty nifty touch all the same. It also lends a little credence to the idea of Einborg as the purple eyes on the Vidar are fairly unique.

Edit: Also, while going back through the first season, I have to reiterate how satisfying it is to see Ein just get stabbed through the cockpit like a bitch in the middle of his crazed rant. God he is such a trash character.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 26, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think whats really deflating is that we've seen Mika at full throttle and theres really no one that can match him other than maybe mecha galio (Which is a huge wildcard because he hasn't done poo poo yet). Even if McG gets Bael, how is he going to outperform him?

Also there is another Gundam in the OP as well as Julietas rEINginlaze

If you take McGillis at his word (not a great idea) that he wants to reform Gjallerhorn at any cost, I could absolutely see him getting an AV system installed to make him the series final boss, particularly considering how rock hard he appeared to get watching Mika go to town on the mobile armor. Alternatively it could be that the baal specs are to a Gundam what a gundam is to a graze, but even with how they are hyping the baal that feels a little unlikely.

There is also the very real possibility that McGillis isn't going to be the final boss in terms of combat. I wouldn't be surprised to see another mobile armor take the field as just one example.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adel posted:

I still think the Rex looks like a digimon :colbert:

Love the palette choice, as Guy Goodbody said it really invokes the image of a holy knight. Also it had the power button symbol on its shoulder so I guess manufacturer logo confirmed?

What are the chances of seeing Bael vs Epyon in a SRW game?

I feel like tallegeese II is a better comparison. Particularly the color scheme.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Speaking of naze and how horrible the recent chat has been

:kimchi:

I really enjoy how the build fighters setting has turned into gundam Valhalla.

Caros
May 14, 2008

To this day thst has got to be one of my favourite overkills in history. Headshot by a bazooka, just loving dead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was neat seeing him willing to even break bread with Teiwaz to drop the whole Dainsleif issue AND ensure Iok stayed home instead of helping Jasley as-promised.

Watching Jasley's entire house of cards collapse because of his own ego in a single phone call was a wonderful thing :allears:.

I have to wonder if this was a tactical mistake. Tekkadan is going to be instrumental to McGillis' plans, so letting his troops go and shut them down for good might have actually been the better play, assuming it didn't make him more vulnerable to the coup.

Then again, it is entirely possible, even likely, that the Iok would have just been more grist for the mill if he'd shown up. It isn't like they were having trouble dismantling Jasley.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Iok's forces likely would have ripped Tekkaden apart. His group is well trained and greatly outnumber Tekkaden. According to McMurdo Iok's forces could wipe out the entirety of Teiwaz.

It can be hard to remember but Iok is a commander in Gjallerhorn's strongest fleet.

Well then it does kind of seem to be a bad move on Rustal's part, no?

The only reason I'm hesitant to agree is we just saw Iok's fleet get absolutely poo poo on by the turbines despite Iok having every possible advantage including the turbines repeatedly trying to surrender. If Julia is still out of the fight with damage there isn't a single pilot on their side of the field who could remotely compete with Mika, Shino or Akihiro.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

The Turbines had enough foreknowledge that Iok was coming for them and enough time to set up an entire evacuation fleet for the entire staff of the Turbines on station, enough people to fill multiple giant unarmed cargo ships. It would have been really, really easy for them to set a trap that Known Total loving Moron Iok Kujan Who Lost 20% Of A Fleet To One Mobile Suit And An Uncrewed Assault Ship would have blundered into, especially if Naze had called on Tekkadan for help(Hello Isaribi dropping three Gundams into Iok's flank in the middle of the battle). The only reason things turned out the way they did was because Naze believed that shooting up a bunch of space police would simply make matters far worse for everyone involved and he wanted his employees and his friends to remain free of guilt by association.

The Dainsleifs aren't invincible wonder weapons, just brutally powerful and effective, and they have pretty clear weaknesses. They are being fired by a bunch of mobile suits that require active loading by other mobile suits, which is a fairly involved process. That falls apart immediately the moment that anyone attempts to engage them in combat, as opposed to the scenario we got which consisted of them being able to fire and reload repeatedly in complete safety because their opponent wasn't actively attempting to fight back in any way initially. If someone like Amida or Mikazuki was busting up the Dainsleif formation they pretty much wouldn't be able to do anything besides scatter and try to defend themselves.

Yeah, the Dainsleif get one shot against Tekkadan and then they are done. Mika rips them limb from limb and presumably shoots the inevitable one that finished reloading into Iok's bridge.

Keeping Teiwez itself out of the upcoming war by striking a backroom deal was the win for Rustal, but it really feels like it also saved Iok's life considering what Tekkadan would have done to him and his.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sazabi posted:

Actually Tekkaden broke their friendship cup with Teiwaz, so I'll is fair game for a ironic railgun to the bridge courtesy of Falrous Ryusei Go IV.

Well, temporarily saved his life I mean. Iok didn't show up to their most recent fight which is the only reason he didn't get Mika'd.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the other reason he did not show up is because Tekkaden would have lost. There simply would have been too many decently trained enemy mobile suits. And extra war ships. Jasleys single ship out numbered them in mobile suits with is forces losing due to inferior skill. Iok's pilots would all be much better then Jasleys and would have out numbered all the other forces by around 10 to 1 or more.

The big reason tekkaden is going to be able to fight with Iok and Rustals forces in the future is because McGillis's forces will be helping as well.

Is this the same fleet of skilled pilots that got clowned on by the retreating turbines?

Because we have seen Iok in combat and no one was impressed. Yeah if he brings a bunch more than he brought to the turbines fight they could be in trouble, but the fleet he brought to he fight with the turbines was winning solely on dint of numbers, and even then they weren't winning well.

I'm not saying Tekkadan would have won in a wash like they did with jasley, especially with he two forces combined, but nothing about Iok's fleet apart from the dainsleif makes it look particularly scary to Tekkadan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

But they did not clown on them at all. They were barely holding them off. They ran back to Iok after the hammerhead charged his ship.

A small number of turbines inflicted significant casualties on the gjallerhorn force while retreating. I counted a single turbine suit that took damage other than the lead who got murdered by the deinsleif compared to about a dozen gjallerhorn dead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Droyer posted:

Lots of people in this thread can't tell an A from an E.

Amusingly my autocorrect knew the word Tekkaden already. Pity bout the spelling.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lestaki posted:

This episode hammered home the limits of McGillis and his worldview. By relying on an ancient relic, he expected to become an absolute king able to dictate to all of Gjallahorn and crush anyone foolish enough to challenge him. This was perfectly encapsulated when he told the Bauduin patriarch that there was no more need for words between them since he would command and they would obey. It's fascinating to watch him live out his childish fantasy of the King who pulled the sword from the stone after witnessing his brilliant manipulations control the show for two-thirds of its run. He can and should be better than this, but he can't let go of his fixation with absolute power. The random side members of the Seven Stars rejecting the question and seeking refuge in neutrality was an amusing wrinkle. It's exactly the kind of petty obstructionism that always confronts absolutists when they try to force their will on the world.

I really don't think he expected everyone to bow down and worship him because he controls Bael. He even says as much when talking with Orga. Going up against Rustal looks like it was always expected. Bael doesn't win him the keys to the kingdom in a single fell swoop, but it gives him a fighting chance. The other leaders wouldn't have any reason to remain neutral during this fight if he didn't have the fig leaf that Bael provides, and his posession of Bael gives his followers a feeling of righteous purpose which is going to help morale, something you desperately need when you're outnumbered two to one.

I mean I'm sure there is some part of him that hoped it would work, but he makes it pretty clear that this isn't his only card to play.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

We've only seen them fired in space and in-atmosphere on Mars, right? Makes me wonder, if you fired one from outside of orbit, if it'd work for kinetic bombardment.

I don't think we actually saw them fired on Mars did we? I thought they had the rail guns but not the full gently caress off warcrime which was why they had to frame them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Difference being if you fired off one of those HE shells from orbit, more than likely it would burn up in atmo and not do poo poo. You fire off a Dainsleif rod from orbit though , which is apparently made of the fancy materials all these super-tough mobile suits are, and it's more likely to survive reentry and actually hit whatever it's aimed at. Not necessarily with an atomic-scale blast, sure, but these are fancy future railguns in a gundam show firing some kind of crazy space metal rod, so it's not too much of a stretch to assume it's still going to wreck everything in a decent area and nobody in IBO has demonstrated anything resembling interception capabilities that could stop something fired out of a railgun from orbit. And when it comes to colonies, all you have to do is punch a hole in that bigass hab bubble we keep seeing at the Teiwaz place, and bye-bye atmosphere, hello failure cascade.

I'm not saying the Horn banned them purely for humanitarian reasons and not because they're also effective force multipliers against their primarily MS and spaceship forces, but there are some pretty compelling humanitarian reasons to keep them out of people's hands here. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there was a bit in today's episode that was some dude with a Dainsleif adjusting his aim in order to keep earth out his line of fire - which was smart, because every shot that hit a Gjallarhorn ship looked like it over penetrated.

I'd be inclined to say that the rationale behind banning them is as a protection measure for colonies. The dainslief is the closest thing we have seen to something like the Agni from seed. Basically all it takes is some twitchy or unscrupulous pilot to fire one of those near a colony and you are looking at thousands of dead on the good end of things. A dainslief firing line would Swiss cheese a colony in a way few weapons from the series seem like they would.

Mind you I'm sure that is mostly just rationale. Banning them because they are effective against gjallerhorn's method of combat seems way more obvious.

Caros
May 14, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

So uh... how is Julieta in a non-Zero-System MS going toe to toe with Mikazuki in the Legit A Mobile Armor Plus Zero System?

Gundam shows sometimes have a problem with going a little too far to show the protagonist isn't the best pilot, like 00 season I when the only reason Setsuna wasn't roadkill was because nobody had anything that could penetrate the main suit's armor which was a Plot-based alloy. I wouldn't mind so much if it was early on and we were showing that Human Debris weren't always all that but Mika needs to dip into hotblood just to take out someone who's in what amounts to a GMIII or Jegan. That's embarrassing. Even if the pilot were Literally Amuro it would still be plot armor against facts.

Would it have killed them to just add that the OS has some Ein AI in it that compensates against Zero System suits? At least then we'd be in the realm of anime logic.

If the Dainsleif can shoot through a whole wad of mobile suits, there was no point to the entire final charge.

One thing to keep in mind is that she isn't really going toe to toe with him.

The conversation with Russel and her own dialogue in the battle makes it clear that she isn't trying to beat Mika, she is just keeping him busy.

If Mika went whole hog like he did with the mobile armor, or if she was trying to bring him down he'd probably kill her, but that isn't the point. She fought defensively but otherwise her goal was just to be physically present enough to keep him from going to town on the regular pilots and disrupting the plan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A Gundam Frame's about the only way Julietta could escalate to take on Mika without A-V surgery, so that's a decent possibility. Just gotta hose out what's left of the cockpit first.

Well presumably Shino is going to be listed off at them washing away what remains of his meatball sub. Judging by season one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, this is fairly loose, but there are enough nods and parallels here that I can't help but wonder.

The official series abbreviation is G-Tekketsu - as in the Tekketsu Kinnotai, the child soldiers who died at Okinawa in the closing months of the Pacific War.

There's a small organisation of children shunned as subhumans, an unusual number of whom have Japanese names (Mikazuki, Itsuka, Akihiro, Shino). They overthrow their oppressive sellout masters (the Meiji Restoration to remove the decaying Western puppet-state that the Tokugawa shogunate had become), and rename themselves in ways that assert their Japanese identity - Chryse Guard Services becomes Tekkadan, the Will o' the Wisp becomes the Isaribi, while adopting a logo of a red symbol on a white field (the fact that it's a flower may be a reference to the Chrysanthemum Seal, the symbol of the Japanese imperial family, who regained power in the Meiji Restoration). They also come into conflict with the current rulers of the world, the decaying, corrupt, aristocratic, and very Western-coded Gjallarhorn (observe, for instance, that while the Barbatos was designed after a young samurai, according to its creator, the Kimaris was explicitly modelled after a European knight). In order to gain an edge, they scramble desperately to acquire as much of their enemies' advanced technology as they can, and make alliances with other, more sympathetic great powers who aren't too happy with Gjallarhorn's status quo. Eventually, they manage a stunning, impossible, and decisive victory that earns them respect, notoriety, and a true place at the table (the Russo-Japanese War).

Unfortunately, their position still isn't stable after this, with other powers resenting their rapid advancement. In a grab for even more power, they deepen their unwise alliance with a charismatic madman who seeks a world built on strength and violence, and are drawn into his disastrous war with his rivals in the West Gjallarhorn (it should probably be mentioned here that their new super-cool mass-produced suits are Shidens, named after Japan's best mass-produced fighters in World War II). The fight goes against them, requiring increasingly extreme and increasingly pointless sacrifices (Norba's death is shot just like a kamikaze mission, complete with the iconic headband being represented by his long, flapping, blood-stained bandages), but their increasingly troubled leader is spurred on by the enthusiasm of his young subordinates (the 'gekokujo' principle), and when they finally try to surrender in order to avoid the fate of their allies, the enemy commander ignores them and gets ready to butcher them in a show of force to cow the rest of the world.

Like I said, there's just enough there to make me consider it as a possible reading of the show.

Don't forget that the guy they are allied with is a blue eyed, blond haired Aryan god who has spent much of the show working with a guy who literally looks like Hitler.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So are you blood hungry monsters who complained about the low death count in season one satisfied now?

Because I'm not. :smithicide:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can not loving believe that McGillis stabbed Iok's cockpit, twice, and still failed to end that motherfucker. That man is more unkillable than the Immortal Patrick Colasour.

To be fair stabbing cockpit has a bad track record to begin with. Neither Ein nor Gailio went down from their stabs, or any of the Tekkadan or turbines crew who got drilled.

Clearly the best solution is mashing things into pulp with a giant mace.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

Iok wasn't actually a complete dumbass this episode. The entire point of the standoff was to force Tekkadan/McGillis to attack first on camera, which he did. It was pretty loving stupid that he almost killed himself to do it, but he fulfilled the letter and the spirit of his orders without doing something retarded.

I don't see any real impetus for Gaelio to be a driving force of change at all. Gaelio's entire approach this season was to wait and see how and why McGillis was doing what he was doing. Once Gaelio found the answers to those questions, he pretty much converted himself into a singleminded murderbot whose only purpose is to killing McGillis to prove a point to himself. He hasn't shown any interest in fixing the hosed system in the slightest or indeed any interest in anything beyond his personal vendetta. The only characters who have any interest in the long term political game anymore are Kudelia, McGillis, and Rustal, and Kudelia is so powerless at the moment that she might as well be sidelined.

You even have to give him a little bit of credit for being the one to do it himself. Because if it were Rustal that would absolutely be a 'the pawns go first' moment. It is still arrogant, wrongheaded and stupid, but at least its not actively getting people killed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

The Earth branch guys who declared neutrality are against McGillis, yes. I'm specifically talking about the Mars Branch, led by the guy who was given his position by McGillis and willingly looked the other way when McGillis and Tekkadan arrived at Mars after the defeat despite already knowing the truth of McGillis's heritage. The Mars Branch commander even says to his subordinate that McGillis might find a way out of this.

Yeah, a surprise attack by the Mars branch on a leaderless Arianrohd seems like it could be a way to turn the tables. Particularly if McGillis could pull the same move Rustal did and try to turn them to his side once it became clear that their leader had been offed.

It's a super unlikely move though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think Rustal told everyone to hold off because he's thinking ahead to the future. When McGillis was alive, Gaelio could be counted on to be motivated solely by revenge. After McGillis died, Gaelio becomes an unknown quantity, politically. McGillis was not getting out of that confrontation alive, but if he killed Gaelio in the process that would just be eliminating a potential future threat to Rustal.

Could also be that he has a touch if respect for Gailio. Gailio clearly wanted to deal with the matter himself and wouldn't have been satisfied if some mook had managed to gank McGillis in the back while he was fighting.

• Locked thread