Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

decided to start watching this on a whim a couple days ago (good timing since I got to the ending right as it was released), and man this was a lot darker than I remember gundam being. tho to be fair, the last one I watched in its entirety was g gundam so :v:

I liked it a lot tho. I don't mind that the ending gave mars about the happiest ending it could have gotten, considering like 3/4s of the main cast there is dead by the end. I can understand not being sold on it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Microcline posted:

I'd say that there's a general trend that while violence can resolve specific, immediate threats it can't fix (and tends to make worse) big political and societal issues. If directed carefully it might be able to stop the Titans but it won't fix the Earth/colony divide and it might come at the cost of a resurgent Neo-Zeon. The show never contradicts Orga's belief that if you keep fighting aimlessly everything will work out.

idk it seems to be pretty down on orga and mcgillis' methods and punishes them for it in the end. the only tekkadan members that actually get anything but a bodybag in the end are the ones that leave. the ones that stay and fight to the end all die. it doesn't do a great job of specifying the alternatives tho. kudelia could have played that role if she was allowed to do anything but be sad about things, and rustal's general policies and his intended endgame should have been made more clear before halfway into the last episode, but I don't agree with what you're saying about how the show handles orga's beliefs

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was no other option at the very beginning. they had other options besides siding with mcgillis and being destroyed; that decision hurt them from the start and led to a bunch of unnecessary deaths, including people like naze who were just affiliated with them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I liked the ending a lot. They should have given more hints to rustal's plan though as it's kind of abrupt. It's not the worse thing in the world.

I'm also sorta glad that a gundam series actually had the balls to have the protagonist die. There hasn't been a really bittersweet ending to a gundam show since zeta (I'm not counting OVA's here).

yea I appreciate that it didn't pull its punches on that at the end. all of the main characters (mikazuki, orga, mcgillis) die and the best any of them accomplish is letting the rest of tekkadan escape into hiding

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

last time we see her is talking to her dad about mcgillis before he dies. it was a weird omission

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the system he was using was different from what tekkadan used; mcgillis says that was specifically designed to allow him to use bael. remember that hush couldn't even get the surgery for it because he was too old at 17, so that's another difference

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they may not have all died, but tekkadan still never accomplished anything

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tekkadan didn't kill a single seven stars member until iok at the very end, and that was completely his own fault (he'd been trying really hard to die since the mobile armor). mcgillis is the one that threw a wrench in everything and destroyed the seven stars system (even if the way he did it was completely unintentional); tekkadan were just his hired muscle. once the direct confrontation with gjallarhorn started, they lost every fight and were pushed back to their base on mars, where they were destroyed. they were used by other people without ever accomplishing their own goals

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Wait, Carta doesn't count?

I forgot they killed her tbh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember that but I forgot that she died from it

I think it's because gaelio was so mad about it that I attributed it to mcgillis after the fact

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all of the romance stuff in ibo is really weird

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genericnick posted:

I don't yet know how well it holds up on a rewatch but for me it's really only Turn A that might make the cut. I never really bought into the 00 first season. I like the basic idea of the grand plan but there were a lot of things that muddled the water. Without the Thrones and whatever the season 1 badguy's name was I'd probably have enjoyed it more. At least conceptionally.

I just started watching turn a for the first time and it's cool. that intro song tho, lmao

00 I thought was kinda subpar at first and nosedived into bad in the second season

ibo I liked from the word go, but it does waste a lot of time and has some problems. kudelia isn't nearly as bad as what's her face from 00, but she does still disappear from relevance in season 2, and they should have explained rustal's motivations and goals better so that the ending didn't feel so out of nowhere. outside of that tho, the core cast is really strong and mika/orga made good protagonists

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's her. she's such a non-character in that show

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's not perfect. he's just up against a lunatic and literal children while not being a moron like iok. plus he had a massively superior force so him winning in the end was pretty simple

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really buy the pure hearted hero thing in season one

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one could say it's a cordial relationship

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mika is the one that pushes orga, not the other way around

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't ein say his weird life support cockpit was the original form of the av system or something? I assume all of the old gundam pilots had something like that at some point

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

julieta gets clowned on by the mobile armor that shows up in season 2 (tho so does everyone else not named mika) so idk that round 2 would be a very good idea for her

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dansleif squad vs anything isn't really a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they can fire at it from space so idk how it's gonna do that

• Locked thread