Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Sandman posted:

Meanwhile, Akihiro feels vaguely robbed, and doesn't know why.

His is going to have like four of those.

Or like two of those and two big ol' LMG looking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It won't be political corruption. They have been carving a bloody mess through everyone they fight without a shred of mercy. Eventually the wheel is gonna turn and bring the same down on them.

That already happened in episode one of season one. Kids got shot in the head and everything.

For real though, them owning a new mine could be an interesting source of internal conflict for Tekkadan. Mining is an industry that's ripe for all sorts of lovely behavior from owners and supervisors, especially when things start to get tight. They could find themselves drawn into the sort of behavior they normally like to shoot people for pretty quick.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 24, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

muike posted:

I don't know if it's good or bad that I don't feel weird about Orga having Mikazuki execute a defenseless dude anymore.

Also is that guy that really wants to be a mobile suit pilot the guy from the offshoot manga about the astaroth gundam or whatever?

The guy encouraged a bunch of pirates to kill people because he was becoming politically irrelevant and couldn't cash out, and there ain't no law on Mars outside of Gjallahorn rolling up and taking everyone away in cuffs or murdering everyone depending on how they're feeling that day.

So its kinda hard to feel too broken up about it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hahaha Radice they wouldn't let you live after what you did; even if you handed over the keys to Fort Knox. You dumb motherfucker.

Eugene's got a real solid leadership/confidence thing going these days. I dig it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A good portion of the people who've tried to manipulate Tekkaddan are dead, so I wouldn't exactly call it easy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Personally I kinda want to see it go Gungrave towards the end, with Mika having to dismantle Tekkadan for going Too Far. It almost certainly won't, but we all know drat well Tekkadan's going to lose big at some point this season.

That's what tons of people were saying last season too. I really don't get the fascination some people have with tragic downfalls, or why they insist on viewing all media with the mindset that one is totally going to happen you guys. It has too,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Look Earth, I have slain the fearsome Tekkadan! Praise me and make me the new head of the Seven Stars!"

McGillis loving over his own allies would just prove he's a giant dumbass. It certainly wouldn't keep Rustal from doing whatever he's going to do.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Orga keeps recklessly betting everything and everyone he has on the next chance to win. Every winning streak has an end, and S1 very nearly went there if it hadn't pulled everyone surviving the fight with Ein at the eleventh hour.

Why would you think he's going to backstab them before dealing with Rustal? Once Rustal goes, McGillis doesn't exactly have a need for a mercenary group capable for fending off global military forces.

You were originally responding to someone saying McGillis has no reason to betray them "at this point". You know, this point, the one where Rustal is still a guy who is around. I don't think very many people are arguing for "McGillis will never betray Tekkadan at any point, EVER" for obvious reasons.

Ignoring the tired rear end gambling metaphor for a moment, season one consisted of Orga making some of the only smart plays possible given the crazy situation they were in. Desperation and recklessness aren't the same thing. I'd say jumping in with both feet into McGillis's plotting is the first really, genuinely, truly reckless thing Orga has actually done considering the context.

taichara posted:

Well, y'know, it's not like McGillis hasn't shown a habit of doing exactly that already in S1.

Technically he only betrayed subordinates, adopted family members, and childhood friends, not allies! :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Don't get me wrong though! I'm not saying Orga and Tekkadan in general haven't made bad choices. They let Space Hitler live after all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who still thinks this season isn't going to end with Tekkadan getting its poo poo kicked in and an obscene amount of deaths?

This will happen, but I think most of the deaths won't be Tekkadan members, based on last season.

Ka0 posted:

Gaelio more like the Count of Montecristo.

Oh good it's not just me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Guy Goodbody posted:

This has made me a lot more interested in the Calamity War. What was the point of the Mobile Armors?

Either a final escalation in a long running conflict, or a deterrent like nuclear weapons that actually ended up getting used would be my guess.

Whatever the reason for them getting made, the result was bad enough that Gjallahorn seems to have been the closest thing to a government left standing in the inner solar system.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Basically imagine if the plot of War Games had ended badly for the characters, except instead of nukes it was AI controlled murder bots.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's a thought;

Tekkadan/Orga wind up with the Order instead somehow. Having even just one'd be a supreme upset for all concerned.

Mika it totally going to kill the Mobile Armor, and I bet McGillis is just going to roll with it because he is secretly Mikazuki's biggest fan.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Argas posted:

An Order of the Seven Stars was not worth potentially waking up the mobile armor in the process, but now that the mobile armor is active, why not? It'd put him closer to Agnika Kaieru, who is pretty much a hero figure to him.
This reminds me:
You know who McGillis said reminded him of Agnika Kaieru? Mika
You know who is standing in front of the MA right now? Mika
Mika is going to destroy Hashmal and McGillis is going to fanboy the gently caress out and try to make Mika King of Space, calling it now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm pretty sure the plan is to discredit/destroy Rustal's faction and assume uncontested leadership of the Seven Stars and therefore Gjallahorn as a whole. He's already got 3/7 of what he needs, and has partially succeeded in his goal by forcing Gjallahorn to back off on interfering with the economic blocs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mika not being able to stand somehow manages to make an already small person seem even smaller.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

VolticSurge posted:

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc. But,I've been thinking lately-should I give it a shot,or was my friend right?

Your friend was wrong.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Monaghan posted:

The toonami thread really didn't like ibo for similar reasons.

I hope this wasn't supposed to be a persuasive argument.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
When has Mika ever thought eating meat is bad? Dude's not going to be averse to a ham sandwich just because he can't get pork most of the time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Welp time for the Jovian space mafia to get murdered.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure that if Iok kills Cookie and Cracker people from this thread will literally will themselves into the anime to murder him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

Like, that's Rustal's whole deal! Not escalating. Keeping things from flaring up, no matter the cost.

Are we ignoring the time he sent one of his best agents to incite a war between two major powers in order to make his political opponent look bad?

Or like, every time he let Iok do anything at all?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't care who gets killed off so long as Iok is one of them

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm not sure how someone can blame their loses on Earth on an alliance with McGillis since it didn't really exist yet. The whole fiasco was a ploy orchestrated by Rustal to embarrass McG by showing he couldn't handle his primary responsibility of keeping the peace on Earth. Tekkadan was used solely because it was believed that they would be easily manipulated due to being space rat child soldiers (i.e. due to a lack of respect resulting from a lack of status).

Because that's what happens when you have nice poo poo and aren't respected, rude dudes show up to gently caress you up and take your poo poo. Orga knows this and that was the lever/bait McGillis used to draw them into the whole crazy "King of Mars" idea.

And they weren't going to be able to stay in Teiwaz anyway because Jasley was always going to gently caress them over out of greed and resentment.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 10, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

He's been pissed, but it took the McGillis deal to get Iok all in.

Iok was always all in on loving with McGillis to begin with due to being a full throated Rustal supporter, and went all in on loving with Tekkadan too after the Hashmal incident.

You really can't lay Iok being Iok at anyone else's feet.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's also worth remembering that Jasley's dissatisfaction with McMurdo had a lot to do with him letting the obvious Trojan horse that was Tekkadan into Teiwaz and then giving them free reign. Let's be honest, here, he probably wasn't even wrong - if they'd taken over Mars, it would only have been a matter of time before McGillis talked them into taking over Teiwaz from the inside. Having the rulers of a planet as a subsidiary is just not a sustainable situation.

Uh no, he was pissed that he didn't get the super valuable mine on Mars. Tekkadan was never a Trojan horse and never had free reign within Teiwaz, they were pretty much always subordinate junior partners. Jasley didn't know dick about the whole King of Mars thing.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 11, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jasley wanted what they had and didn't respect/fear them enough to not try and take it through skullduggery and naked force, and the whole set of events with him just drove Orga to further commit to supporting Crazy McG's Planetary Coup Fun Times.

It's almost as though there's some kind of running theme this season.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing was that after Edmonton, Tekkadan had made their mark. They were in a really nice, comfortable position, and while their rivals were grumbling, they weren't really doing anything.

We're just going to ignore the space pirate invasion launched by their rivals doing something, then?

Darth Walrus posted:

and that their connections with McGillis's faction were a key source of the power and prestige that let them get such an exalted position within Teiwaz so fast (with a half-metal mine, combat-testing privileges with Teiwaz's newest and best suits, and so on).
This is just flat out wrong. We don't really know McMurdo's exact reasoning behind letting them have the mine (general fondness, wanting to strengthen people he knows return loyalty with loyalty, the fact that their main base is like, right the gently caress there anyway), and the suits came in through the Turbines who were as close an ally as they've ever had.Turbines probably gets them because they have amazing combat pilots and are also loyal.

The only commentary we've seen from the Teiwaz brass re: Tekkadan's Gjallahorn connection was to be pissed off to the point that Naze had to offer extreme reassurances.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which they beat. They could have left it alone afterwords Gjallerhorn was planning on dealing with them as well. Tekkaden got involved and allied with McGillis to take them down in order to boost their rep.

Yes, so that people will stop sending Space Pirates and other ne'er-do-wells to murder them and take their poo poo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably would have, after Dawn Horizon got destroyed.

They were the largest pirate group around, and Tekkadan ate them alive. That kind of thing makes people think twice.

The tragedy was that Tekkadan was moving forward. Not even at a slow pace, really. By anyone else's standards, they were a loving rocket, but Orga, poor Orga didn't want to spend one day more than he had to sending his guys to die. And that's leaving more of 'em dead than ever.

Even the Earth arc was probably influenced by the deal with McGillis. Rustal had moles, and I figure he's got enough sense he'd go "Oh, they're on the outs. Guess someone else would be better bait", if that was how it went.

Iron Blooded Orphans is a story of people making deals with the devil, and what happens when the time comes to collect. And it's pretty rare in that kind of story for the deal to be a good call for all concerned.

Nah, Dawn Horizon agreed to it after loving Edmonton happened. People would just convince themselves that the brats got lucky, or that they only won because Gjallahorn showed up at a bad time. Just like everyone else who goes up against Tekkadan despite all evidence suggesting that that is a terrible idea.

As for the suggestion that Rustal would have just left them alone on Earth, obviously I can't actually disprove a counterfactual, but it seems very unlikely to me. The dudes trying to maintain the status quo, and Tekkadan is a symbol of that status quo being upended. The fact that they were there doing what they were doing at all would give him a good reason to target them, and that's before you take into account their Teiwaz handler being easily subverted.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a pretty consistent character trait of Rustal that he looks after his people, whoever they are, and him straight-up hiring Tekkadan would probably have resulted in him trying to turn them into an entire army of Juliettas. Which really isn't that bad a fate, all things considered.

HAHAHAHAHA

no

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
WILL SOMEBODY JUST loving KILL IOK ALREADY gently caress

loving writers are gonna leave him alive just to piss me off.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nobliss did not know about them and had no way to make that attack unless he did. McGillis who allowed them to escape in the first place would know their location. After escaping he likely told Nobliss. Likely McGillis saw Orga as holding them back.

Told Nobliss how? McGillis had no way of contacting Gordon. "All communication lines have been cut" was covered multiple times in the episode. It's currently a main driver of the plot. Far more likely that Gordon had Admoss company offices watched just in case.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Huh, I wasn't under the impression he'd actually escaped. Oh well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All that's really left to resolve is the current fight after Julietta joins in, and then seeing who manages to survive. And possibly some last minute murders.

Unless Kudelia has a secret revolutionary army to pull out of her rear end at the last minute.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Iok died, therefore Good End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And someone was going to dig up that Mobile Armor sooner or later, and there's no way Gjallahorn or Tekkadan would stay on the sidelines for that.

poo poo happens.

• Locked thread