Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Presumably when they manage to seriously piss off Gjallarhorn in this battle. I was actually a little surprised at how cleanly the lines seem to be drawn here, though - Tekkadan is now an open, deputised ally of the McGillis faction, and Julietta specifically attacks Mika for being part of that faction. I assume that this won't remain the truth for the whole season - I can see McGillis cutting Tekkadan loose if they manage to genuinely cross the line, and Rustal remains absolutely bedecked in death flags ready for that line-crossing - but it is still a little surprising how direct this all is for the moment.

Julietta did not really attack him just stopped him from attacking the pirate boss as they want to take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raxivace posted:

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

Biscuit was not human debris however. He was an employee who joined up of his own will. So his situation is a bit different.

Still not a good thing however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well, yeah? That was the entire plot of the first season, Kudelia hired Tekkadan to protect her from Gjallarhorn.

It's also kind of pointless for them to go after her now. A lot of their corruption has been exposed and they have a lost a lot of power and reputation, plus there is no real benefit if they attack her now.

Gjallarhorn's biggest problem right now however despite a clean up of some corruption is rivalries among the branches of it. Which is best shown by the current situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lemon-Lime posted:

She's also not an enemy of McGillis, so why would the Gjallarhorn he now leads go after her?

Mcgillis is not the leader of Gjallarhorn just one of it's heads. But yeah this is also correct. Iznario was the one who was trying to kill Kudelia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

Mika just wants to cultivate his farm, we already seen his endgame if things end peacefully.

Thats going to be a bit hard for him given that one of his arms and eyes don't work unless he is in a mobile suit. I also have a feeling his body will get worse as the series goes on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

The twins mention that Mika's been trying to plant new stuff in the martian soil. He's not just been fighting the past 6 months.

I know. But if he like loses use of his legs or other eye stuff could get way harder for him. And I just have a feeling things are going to get worse for his body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets not forget during the start of the Brewers arc were Takaki dropped death flags like crazy and made it out fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Galan seems to wants to kill McGillis in battle here. But Rustal seems to have been fine with simply making him look bad. (Though I doubt he will mind if McGillis meets a tragic end.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Takaki has pretty much been the main character for the last bit. Honestly if people just started watching I bet everyone would assume that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't even have to go that far in their careers. Orga's first day had him giving a job offer and severance pay to people just after he murdered their boss and stole the company.

Well he did not murder the boss. Just the guy in charge of the first division. (And it was Mika who did so.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
McGillis even sent most of the enemies they fought after them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Argas posted:

We never saw Carta face off against non-Tekkadan mobile suits unfortunately.

Because she never had. It's why she was not that good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That stuff listed above is why it was good for Takaki to get out while everything was pretty good.

Along with the fact that Takaki was not a good fit for the life of a solider. He was far too nice. Hell he even felt a good deal of guilt and regreted killing the guy that caused everything to go wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that very last image of the episode preview makes me think McGillis is going to do something bad soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Everyman posted:

After ending season one with Lafter and Azee being perfectly fine, I doubt Mika will be reduced to a non-combatant for more than a couple episodes. As weighty as having him reduced to an invalid until he's wheeled out for the climatic series finale to be hooked up to Barbatos one last time is, I can't see the writers going through with it.

Having Hush suddenly put forward and trying to fill his shoes under a crippled Mika's training would be ballsy as hell, though.

The only reason they spared Lafter and Azee is cause they wanted to do more with them. This is going to be the final part of this iteration. Expect death and bad stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say Lafter gave him the most trouble given that the fight could have gone ether way at the end. Before it was stopped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Belzac posted:

Well let's ask Tomino, the creator of Gundam how he feels about this conversation.

Why did you withhold the name. It's Katejina right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Actually it appears this time that Iok was actually pretty clever. His plan was quite good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Seemed like it was mostly Jasley supplying the brains there, even if the precise details may well have been provided by Iok. Going to be interesting to see what Julietta is flying - it should show up next episode, and yet it's had no previews, kit or otherwise.

Well Jasley directed him at a target. (Which he actually thinks is the right one.) Iok came up with the plan.

Though Iok is being stupid with his blame game. It was not Tekkadan's fault his men died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

All 50,000 of them are Naze's wives, clearly.

This may actually be the case. Though in this case he likely has not met a good deal of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No he did not, the bridge is still there. He hit the front of the ship then careened off. Iok will be shaken but fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gyrobot posted:

Rustal may double down on this if this was tied to the McGillis and essentially destroyed a valuable ally of Tekkadan because Jasley is pro Gjallarhorn and Teiwaz will follow Rustal when the shooting starts.

Also rip Blid and Chloe

Wait Blid and Chloe died?

From what I can tell all the named Turbines other then Naze and Amida lived.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do dislike Jasley more then Iok.

Iok is just stupid. You can tell with how proud he was of that shitshow when he was talking to Rustal. Jasley is simply an rear end in a top hat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

McGillis has never betrayed anyone in his entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwGXgl5H_c

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

That's kind of the default for Iron Blooded Orphans, though. Everyone's got all the death flags a single person can carry flying all the time. (Again, Takaki).

It's not a matter of "if" so much as "when". And this was assumed to be a cooldown episode.

Also, she just got a kit, was the only Turbine in the OP, and the arc seemed to be doing the delay round, where characters split up for a few episodes so the survivor can tear up when the other dies with nothing they can do. I figured that Azee was the one who was going to die when they split up.

Needless to say, I figured wrong.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The kit and new mobile suit also made me think it was unlikely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

I have to wonder if this was a tactical mistake. Tekkadan is going to be instrumental to McGillis' plans, so letting his troops go and shut them down for good might have actually been the better play, assuming it didn't make him more vulnerable to the coup.

Then again, it is entirely possible, even likely, that the Iok would have just been more grist for the mill if he'd shown up. It isn't like they were having trouble dismantling Jasley.

No Iok's forces likely would have ripped Tekkaden apart. His group is well trained and greatly outnumber Tekkaden. According to McMurdo Iok's forces could wipe out the entirety of Teiwaz.

It can be hard to remember but Iok is a commander in Gjallerhorn's strongest fleet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

Well then it does kind of seem to be a bad move on Rustal's part, no?

The only reason I'm hesitant to agree is we just saw Iok's fleet get absolutely poo poo on by the turbines despite Iok having every possible advantage including the turbines repeatedly trying to surrender. If Julia is still out of the fight with damage there isn't a single pilot on their side of the field who could remotely compete with Mika, Shino or Akihiro.

Not really. The only damage the Turbines did was the suicidal charge with the ship at the end.

Also the Julia is more or less undamaged.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

To be entirely fair, the Turbines spent 99% of the battle actively refusing to fight offensively in any respect and repeatedly muzzled their ability to fight back in favor of attempting to surrender up until it became apparent that Iok was really intent on killing them all with no surrender allowed. Only then did the Turbines actually counterattack with the suicide charge - which was undertaken by a total of a single mobile suit and a battleship being crewed and controlled by a single person rather than by any force of note - and they still managed to severely damage one ship and completely obliterate another.

If Naze's plan had been "lay an ambush and kill the poo poo out of the police when they come for us" it's entirely feasible to believe that Naze could have pretty much completely destroyed Iok and his entire force, especially if Naze had gone to Orga and said "yeah we're gonna throw down, you in?" instead of warning Orga to stay away.

If Naze tried to ambush them. (Which would not have worked. As they were being chased and Iok knew were they were and was expecting a fight) then it would have been even less effective. The suicide charge was the only thing that did damage. Had it been a standard fight without the suicide charge it would have ended when one of the Dainsleifs hit Nazes bridge.

Darth Walrus posted:

The problem was that McMurdo was signalling that Rustal would either have to call his pet off or risk the wrath of Teiwaz. Not the Turbines, not Tekkadan, Teiwaz. And it's been established since the first quarter of Season One that even Gjallarhorn is reluctant to throw down with the Jovian Mafia in any serious capacity. If he decided to let Iok do his thing, he would have destroyed one enemy and gained an even bigger one.

Of course, it turned out to be a bad deal anyway because McMurdo wasn't the only one with those combat recordings, but he didn't know that (probably because Iok didn't tell him).

McMurdo and Teiwaz don't want to pick a fight with Rustal. McMurdo already admitted Teiwaz would be crushed by Rustal and Iok. The deal was accepted because Rustal did not want the Dainsleifs brought up and because Rustal had no interest in Jasleys fight.

Darth Walrus posted:

Would it have dropped itself, though? Tekkadan is one thing, but McMurdo demonstrated pretty clearly that he's no pushover this episode. I think it can be safely assumed that he had a Plan B to eliminate Jasley if Rustal said no.
He would have been arrested. But he likely knew that Rustal was not happy with Ioks actions and would reign him in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

Well, temporarily saved his life I mean. Iok didn't show up to their most recent fight which is the only reason he didn't get Mika'd.

And the other reason he did not show up is because Tekkaden would have lost. There simply would have been too many decently trained enemy mobile suits. And extra war ships. Jasleys single ship out numbered them in mobile suits with is forces losing due to inferior skill. Iok's pilots would all be much better then Jasleys and would have out numbered all the other forces by around 10 to 1 or more.

The big reason tekkaden is going to be able to fight with Iok and Rustals forces in the future is because McGillis's forces will be helping as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

Is this the same fleet of skilled pilots that got clowned on by the retreating turbines?

But they did not clown on them at all. They were barely holding them off. They ran back to Iok after the hammerhead charged his ship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

A small number of turbines inflicted significant casualties on the gjallerhorn force while retreating. I counted a single turbine suit that took damage other than the lead who got murdered by the deinsleif compared to about a dozen gjallerhorn dead.

Yeah and that dozen only died cause a few of Tekkadens aces came to help. If that did not happen it would have been like five and the Turbine aces would have started dying. Said dozen is also a drop in the pond for their forces. They had hundreds more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's kind of hard to know who to root for. Currently Gaelio is winning.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tekkadan's mad dash towards self destruction and McGillis' desire to become the most powerful person so no one can hurt him again aren't exactly laudable, but Gaelio is fighting to uphold the slave-owning, child-raping status quo.

Well no Iznario was just an rear end in a top hat and he is in exile now. Galio had no love for stuff like that ether.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well this makes Iznario look worse back in the first season

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

And watching again, he went to the side of the cockpit for most of the killshots, not dead center. We even saw surrendering survivors.

He killed people, but he clearly didn't kill everyone.

Actually he did not even aim for the cockpit in most parts just taking out the camera.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Putting down an uprising against an unjust system is not morally neutral

Last I checked yeah it kind of is. Gjallerhorns whole thing is keeping order. So rebels are supposed to be put knocked down.

Argas posted:

Hexa frames have the cockpit in the head.

Well that seems like a bad design.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

Are we ignoring the time he sent one of his best agents to incite a war between two major powers in order to make his political opponent look bad?

Or like, every time he let Iok do anything at all?

There is a reason Iok is under house arrest. He just did not think Iok was as stupid as he is.

Also it seems Rustal was right in wanting to bring down McGillis. Not that starting that kinda war was not a lovely thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

You know, I have been generally happy about Gaelio still being alive but now I had the realization that I am going have to watch him die again.

Maybe not Gaelio could win.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also should note that the death preview thing still kinda held true for this episode. Vidar is dead. Gaelio has shed that identity and embraced his old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have a feeling that Shino is going to be on the receiving end of that thing first.

• Locked thread