Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

my criticism of this episode is that way too many scenes occurred, without giving us a single moment to breathe. lots of quick cuts everywhere. tekkadan has gotten way too big for their and the audience's britches. this bodes badly for the rest of the season if they can't get it under control

It kind of feels like the last two weeks where re-intorduction and set up for the season. They covered a lot of ground, hopefully in the next couple of eps they settle down into the story they want to tell with out cutting back to B stories every 30 seconds.

I especially liked the beat with Nobalis turning down the call from the resistance fighter(?), it shows that Kudelia might be an important person but she is still a pawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

While my head says Galileo my heart says Biscuit

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Despite the fact that all the story beats in the ep where as subtle as an iron slab to the face I am enjoying the fact that the villains are not evil for evils sake. They have goals and respond to our protagonists actions in cleaver ways. In a less well written show we would have had mobile suite beam spamming for 5 minutes, better then half of which would have been stock footage, that would have gotten us the same result with none of the dramatic punch. I mean aside from a brief flash of one when they where loading those trailers there wasn't even a MS in the episode.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

In most works the ruthless killer who does not even understand the word compromise would be the villain, not the main character.

It's almost like child soldiers are a bad thing...

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, if you don't know how to spot a classic Mephistophelean temptation scene when you see one, I don't really know what to tell you. That bit where he literally offered Orga the world was ominous as all hell.

I was going to use the word faustian, but you summed it up well.

We know these characters literary skills are sorely lacking but that they can't figure out that the guy that has betrayed everyone he has ever know and "loved" should give them all more pause than it has. Maybe Naze will talk some sense into them.:ohdear:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
The ep really ties everything together and sets up the last half of the season. Why are prosthetics bad? Because robots nearly destroyed humanity. Why is half metal valuable? Because electronics built with it can operate near ahab reactors. Why is ghalahorn repressive dicks? They are trying to keep the AI genie in the bottle they shoved it in.

Also props to the sound department on the end of the episode, the beam cannon on the MA sounds appropriately terrifying. Also beam weapons, finally I guess?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
The scene with the plumas getting shot seems to be the first obvious reuse of footage. Which is great for an action show. Some one will probably point out some where in the first season where footage was reused but this episode was the first time it was glaringly obvious.

Really it seems that the whole episode was a bit on the budget side. All the scenes of them standing around a radio with the person talking off screen. MS pilots grimly staring at each other. Clouds of dust obscuring the main action.

On the other hand, Galaxy Cannon!

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
It continues to be odd that the one person that has expressed interest in making the world explicitly not poo poo, and has done something to achieve that, Kudelia is sidelined on Mars for basically the whole season. If there was ever a time for her to appear out of nowhere it is now. More thematically though it will be when Mika is locked in battle with Vider and Mcgillis in a three way grudge match to decide the fate of the series

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
It seems like things are currently mirroring the Dort uprising, and will probably have a similar resolution. They use the same setup, a false flag attack that justifies a dissproporanate use of force by g'horn. Our heroes are vastly out numbered and are quite certain to be shortly destroyed. A perfect opportunity for Kudelia to reemerge, which would be a perfect capstone to the series. The problems of economic injustice and soul crushing poverty will never be solved by force of arms.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Was expecting a mobile worker the whole time they where walking to the car

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

It seems more likely that Kudelia will cap his rear end. Or Gaelio will just have him arrested and executed. He doesn't seem like a very Mika sort of target.

I seem to remember a line like "Mika you can't go into town with your gundam" somewhere in the episode. It would be thematically appropriate if the final battle where to take place in a city, and if noblis happens to be crushed in rubble :v:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

jackhunter64 posted:

This is barrelling towards a really disappointing ending unless there's a big old pile of Arianrod corpses at the end of next week. I know the setting of the show is an absolutely unjust world, but no-one on that side deserves any of their victories.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they kind of deserve it in that they utterly outplayed their enemies.

With the exception of letting Lok do anything, Rustal has really made no mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A full three of the Seven Stars families were gone, and they relied on their status as upstanding nobles above reproach to remain in power. The infighting and public scandals would not have gone over well with the Earth blocs.

Lets not forget that to truly out McGillis as "not his real son" McGillis Senior would have had to admit his peodophilia. Once you start going down the road of finding the skeletons in Gjallahorn's closet, things are going to get icky real fast.

• Locked thread