Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Atra remains great, which is good because it continues to make that one goon who melted down over how terrible she is like 1 episode into season 1 look like a huge dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I also imagine it got around to them that McGillis made a very legitimate attempt to talk to them before poo poo went down like it did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like that McGillis had no idea about the Order of the Seven Stars, but it sounds like a good plan so why the hell not?

I don't think he was unaware of it - he's done way too much research to not know about it.

He just very legitimately hadn't even considered it until it became a matter of "gently caress it, may as well" after Iok shat everything up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm really ready for this aside to end and there's no reason it couldn't have this episode. This is dragging.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they kind of deserve it in that they utterly outplayed their enemies.

does it count as outplaying when it's largely built on a hilarious amount of plot armor?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. I don't really think there's any plot armor in defeating a single unaided mobile suit when you have an entire army.

I mainly mean in the sense that Rustal got handed a 100% perfect counter to McGillis' insurrection in the form of Gaelio stupidly surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Well, even without Gaelio, he's been playing it pretty much perfectly. He genuinely hasn't made any real mistakes or arrogant oversteps and had made the right calls in terms of how to distribute his forces and back his enemies into a corner. Gaelio countering McGillis is absolutely in his favor but it isn't like it is unjustified except for the bullshit of Gaelio surviving. (And the end of S1 is nonstop bullshit survival so that's pretty evenly distributed plot armor.)

It isn't like things suddenly stopped working or the plot bullshitted to allow things to happen that normally wouldn't. Rustal just genuinely is outplaying everyone. It sucks because he's a giant shithead but it doesn't feel ill-earned. (Or if it did then he's up against Tekkadan's fairly significant plot armor themselves.)

Rustal has been making good tactical decisions but at the end of day it's hard to not feel as if the outcome wasn't largely decided by Gaelio surviving. His presence alone forced McGillis to act faster than likely planned, and then blocked him when he made his power play, putting McGillis and Tekkadan on the backfoot from the get-go in terms of numbers. It reeked as lazy, hack writing when Vidar was first introduced and it only got worse as he played his part. It's like Okada wanted a particular outcome but wasn't creative enough to reach it without giving one side an I-Win button. Which is really weird because McGillis not being a real Seven Stars seemed like it could have served the same purpose as Gaelio surviving, but she decided that had to be used to deliver a different blow.

It's just...not good to me, and truth be told I'm more just getting my thoughts out there rather than debating on it. It's just bad storytelling to me.

• Locked thread