Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

chiasaur11 posted:

I also liked the fact his first response on hearing an explosion was to draw a pistol he was carrying.

The pistol he brought with him to pick up friends from a school.

It's interesting to see just how venerated Tekkadan is getting. All Cookie and Cracker's schoolmates viewed "Dying for Mars in battle!" as The Coolest Thing Ever, while they... don't.

I hope they go somewhere interesting with that. They have an orphanage now, full of kids who love Tekkadan at a time where even more kids are being recruited to fight. Hope it leads to some of the internal conflict we perhaps should have seen in the first season.

Wonder who will be in the mask in the OP, because it could well not be McGillis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the Gusion Rebake Full City apparently quad-wields rifles, which I am stupidly happy about.

Confirmed by the gunpla, but I don't know what the back skirt does. Looks like it splits in two, so possibly another set of sub-arms?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is the white-haired dude that found Mika napping the protagonist of the IBO manga by the way? I've not read it yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It's actually the other way around. One of Gjallarhorn's biggest advantages is that it's the only faction in the solar system with a glut of Ahab reactors and suits to put them in. However, the technology to fit multiple reactors on a single suit remains lost, which is why Gundams are so special. If the Vidar is, indeed, McGillis's suit, then it makes perfect sense for him to be testing out a modern multireactor setup on his personal ride, given his interest in kicking Gjallarhorn out of its stagnation (technological and otherwise).

And, y'know, three times...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Was there nothing between SEED/Destiny and 00? 00 was my first Gundam series but I'm sure SEED seemed long ago at that point. Maybe I was confusing it with Wing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I like how Gali-Gali has turned from Garma into a far closer fit to the Char archetype than McGillis ever was.

He has a filter on his voice this ep, but I'm pretty sure he didn't in his last appearance and it was straight up Gali's voice.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Neither Vidar nor the Vidar disappointed, that fight was great and it's a really cool suit, possibly my favorite so far in the series, along with the Rebakes and Kimarises.

I think it's interesting that every time Julieta makes an observation about Vidar/Gali's behaviour or personality he says "oh really?" like he doesn't really know himself or something, or that he's playing a part some of the time. Or maybe it's something about his state of mind, perhaps memory loss from being beaten by McGillis.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

Knowing exactly how a Mobile Armour operates is not what he failed to show. He failed to understand one of the basic facts of a Mobile Armour, that its programming made it specifically target Mobile Suits before anything else. Hell, he should have caught on to the fact that McGillis and Tekkedan did not bring any mobile suits and that there could be a reason for that. Hell, he makes Carta seem smart for all of her idiocy her screw ups only effected her and her subordinates whilst Iok could potentially doom the entire of Mars to die.

He didn't know a drat thing about them, meaning for one he didn't really know much about the Calamity War, the most significant conflict ever know, or how or why it was fought, and which lead to the Seven Stars of which he is a loving part. That is only dumb, but what's awful is that he pretended to know when Julieta chided him on his ignorance.

I have to think they are setting up for Julieta to put Iok down, possibly on her own initiative before he can do even more damage. Maybe she even has a shot at the Order of the Seven Stars?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's one question no-one seems to be asking;

Who made the Mobile Armors?

It is interesting but I don't think we can speculate yet, we know so little of the pre-Calamity War world so far. Since this one is on Mars and seems to be suited to wiping out population centers, perhaps the idea was to clear everyone off Mars, so maybe an anti-spacenoid faction on Earth. Or just generally a mess of different nations, ultimately developing MAs out of all their conflicts until the Calamity War where they go wild, ultimately leading to Gyallarhorn, the development of Mobile Suits and Earths unification under the blocs we've seen.

Was the ahab reactor a Calamity War development? Seems like if they were available they should have been on MAs so they didn't need to nab resources like that.

So TL;DR we can't speculate, here's my speculation.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm not a Wing guy, what did he say?

That kit looks pretty cool, hopefully getting it with the 1/100 Vidar won't carry a ridiculous shipping charge.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Adel posted:

It might be more like people got so obsessed with increasingly innovative automation that it naturally escalated into, "hey, why not have AI fight our wars for us? It'll reduce the loss of human life and surely nothing will go wrong :downs: " and didn't stop to think just because they could, doesn't mean they should.

Technology, uh. found a way...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I like Amida's MS in the flashback, seemed to be inspired alot by the Gelgoog. Looked a bit like a leftover G-Reco design actually.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If something happens with the command of Turbine and theres still a few survivors from them then I can see them joining up with Tekkadan and them taking on the protection part of the shipping company. Hopefully everything blows up in Mikelobs and Ioks face though.

But we know enough about episode 41 to know that thats not the episode were the poo poo hits the fan. Apparently thats ep 41.

Lafter evidently keeps the Hekija, and it's already in Tekkadan colours, probably not a coincidence.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want Lafter to join Tekkadan so we get to see a Tekkadan wedding

Is that a euphemism for a funeral?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Naze's dead, Lafter's going to Tekkadan, everything else is a crapshoot at the moment given this show's track record with character deaths.

So possibly the other two were spared at the end of S1 for no reason.

I just remembered how Julietta was introduced, eating an insect and that, did her character get changed earlier on? I thought she was going to be more unruly, but now her main thing seems to be wanting to fit in. Maybe it's just because she now seems completely justified in undermining Iok.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I rather like the Reginlaze Julia/Julietta (confused over which it is) and it might challenge the GN-X series as my favourite "cutting edge mass-production" unit. Not crazy about Lupus Rex (is the full name Barbatos Lupus Rex or did they actually drop that part of the name? Seems thematically relevant) but the name is cool with the "Kings of Mars" thing. It means "Wolf King" right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Somewhere in the BF world, Biscuit and Masahiro are chilling in a pub watching their siblings on tv.

I want Biscuit to be ludicrously talented Gunpla Battler,.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

That's kind of the default for Iron Blooded Orphans, though. Everyone's got all the death flags a single person can carry flying all the time.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans II - RAISE YOUR (death) FLAG

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I assume, to quote the X-Men movie, the same thing that happens to anything else.

You think you're angry now? Remember she won an Oscar.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I like all of gaelio's suits. The schwalbe graze with the lance, kimaris, kimaris trooper, the vidar, and whatever upgrade it'll get in the end.

There's a suit in the OP as yet unaccounted for, seems to be the right color to be a Vidar upgrade.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

IBO is genuinely (it seems) setting up a war between two sides where neither side is a very good choice.

The current Gjallerhorn represents stagnation and the corruption of the status quo but their opponents are hosed up child soldiers who seem to have little idea about what to do beyond becoming the strongest top of the heap. Obviously Tekkadan is sympathetic but it's increasingly clear they're not really prepared for anything and "King of Mars" sounds increasingly like a fantasy Orga is clinging to, not an actual possible goal. Of the two McGillis winning is probably the worst outcome for the world in general but it's not a great situation all around. We can pretty comfortably say that McGillis' 'reformation' of Gjallerhorn isn't going to be a good thing but the idea of Gjallerhorn reformation is one which the show seems to be genuinely holding up as a possible positive outcome.

That honestly doesn't leave a lot of people who can create a remotely positive change for the setting. Kudelia can (and will almost certainly be part of any positive change) but she can't do it alone. Gaelio isn't a morally perfect person but as it stands he is Gjallerhorn's only real chance for positive reformation based off his behavior, character arc and plot role. If not him then Gjallerhorn is basically completely hosed and it seems clear that for how godawful they are the setting isn't going to get better in the wake of a massive power vacuum.

Of course it's entirely possible the show is just leading to a massive tragedy ending where everything is hosed and nothing good happens to anyone but that seems a bit grim even for IBO.

Possibly Gaelio himself won't be the one to lead a reformed Gjallerhorn, perhaps his will will be passed to Julietta or something. The subordinate he might save from Ein's fate, or drive to it again, and is likewise not an Earthling of breeding but a Spacenoid commoner, so this can illustrate Gaelio's worldview, as his apology to Mica did a bit. Her loyalty could be divided between Vidar/Gaelio and Rustal depending on what Rustal's game is ( and I might need to rewatch to get a better handle on it)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, so uh.. it has bigass power drills in the kneecaps huh?

Darth Walrus posted:

That lance looks like a drill

For piercing the heavens!! :kamina:

I love it, even if I'm worried about how much non-sticker color separation it will have. Will miss the disposable rapiers though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have a feeling Julietta will survive the series. Even if she were to die I don't think it will be next episode. We have like 5 or so left as well.

Yeah, I think her arc as a bit too much to go yet. I think she needs a reason (or another reason) to consider getting AV surgery or getting installed permanently into the Julia. Both for her own descision and Galieo's thoughts on the matter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

To be honest, I'm confused about Dainsleifs, they just fire a metal rod at extremely high speed, right? We keep seeing them embed into ships hulls, but besides cutting through mobile suits (which at that range seems like luck) I don't see why they are a big deal? I must have missed something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, one character made a good, sensible, healthy decision. Shame about everybody else.

Yay though! I really like the Julietta and Gaelio characters now. And they get the coolest MSes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It would be goddamn hilarious for the final fate of Shino's mecha to be kitbashed into a horrible offensive monstrosity piloted by an enemy who pisses off the people who cared for the former pilot.

CRAAAAAANK!!!!! SHIIIIIINO!!!!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So is the next episode the last one? Seems like there's still a lot to cover, unless they go to a third season or movie.

Before I realised how little was left, I thought we might get a Bael Vidar Kimaris FrankenGundam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He tricked a couple of naive young idealists, (at least) one of whom was madly in love with him, in order to steal power they would have shared with him freely. Not exactly an act of political genius.

Yeah, this is why I love that dynamic. Three of the Seven Stars were already on board, he could enacted change bloodlessly, possibly without any of the covert shenanigans either. Rustal might not have fallen in line (but we don't really know his motivations or intentions still), but Iok could probably be won over, the two old guys who knows, but presumably have heirs that might be more sympathetic, especially given time. I really hope Gali-gali makes the right call! I think I'm more invested in him and Julietta, possibly because Tekkaden has been so self-destructive, they seem doomed.

The series will end on a montage set to RAISE YOUR FLAG right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Barbatos Lupus Rex now howls like a wolf in it's berserker mode.

Edit: Finished now.

Wow.

I'm glad how Galeio and Julietta ended up.

It's really interesting where they went with Rustal, pretty much McGillis but with pragmatism to achieve his goals, then applied what he had won to apparently noble causes. Not wholly good, not wholly bad. I think he was compared to Lord Vetinari earlier, I could agree with that.

Great name for the kid.

So that absolutely could be the end, but they seem to have left things open for some kind of follow up. The Gjallahorn engineer never really seemed to go anywhere with her apparent interest in AV, and they showed her walking away from the rebuilt Bael. Obviously with Mika and Orga gone there's a question of who would be the protagonist, but I would quite like the focus on Julietta, maybe Ride.

loving do one Iok.

I think it was better than 00. Maybe in the top 3 of non-UC Gundam.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 2, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like they went for the rise and fall of Imperial Japan after all, complete with superweapon airstrikes, Mars's rebirth as a corporate superpower, and Mikazuki's son being named Rising Sun.
[/spoiler]

Also an apparent portmanteau of Akahiro and Mikazuki?

Did Atra make a new bracelet? Or did they recover Mika's somehow?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Less Colasour. More coleslaw.

Funny. The Garma clone was the only surviving Gundam pilot.

Regardless of if you think he's Garma or not, he's a great CHAR
acter.

Small detail that might not be possible to verify- was Ride using the gun Mika lent Orga? It doesn't have any distinguishing markings that I can see so I guess there's no way to tell.

Edit:

jackhunter64 posted:

Yep. And look at the symbol on his jacket. :unsmith:

Just noticed that Dane works for the same company, presumable Zach too. Also they have a Haro on a desk.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread