Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

They're still going out of their way to make Naze basically the nicest and most flawless dude in the universe. I didn't expect them to tear him down or anything, but him discovering that his association with Tekkadan has served as a weak point that has destroyed his entire life's work and will likely kill everyone he loves and has spent his life trying to protect and then accepting it without any complaint or even any negative emotional response is a little disconcerting.

That and the wives and daughters line, yikes.

Well, the advice he gave Orga at the end (only look out for your family, don't sweat anything else) was pretty awful on multiple levels - both because it condemns the thousands of women working for him to death, and because the people who are about to rule a planet really don't need to become even more insular and clannish. I'd expect to see pushback against that at least, not least because it clashes hard with the 'help everyone' philosophy of the show's moral centre, Kudelia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't think Naze is dooming his entire organization to death by trying to turn away Orga. It's the Hammerhead he is putting at risk and I think everyone on that ship is pretty well aware of what they're involved in. Though I doubt anything is going to happen to the ship itself since there are literally babies riding on it and that is the thickest plot armor in existence. Now if they reveal those kids aren't on board next episode, I'll take that back right away.

Then again I actually kinda like Naze while most people seem to hate him so maybe I'm just crazy

more importantly all this blatant cripple mika in the new op and ed is painful :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He's actually protecting the rest of the Turbines by running away, since anyone not on the Hammerhead can just declare ignorance of the situation and probably find a different job with Teiwaz.

Also Naze is cool.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If something happens with the command of Turbine and theres still a few survivors from them then I can see them joining up with Tekkadan and them taking on the protection part of the shipping company. Hopefully everything blows up in Mikelobs and Ioks face though.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 16, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If something happens with the command of Turbine and theres still a few survivors from them then I can see them joining up with Tekkadan and them taking on the protection part of the shipping company. Hopefully everything blows up in Mikelobs and Ioks face though.

But we know enough about episode 41 to know that thats not the episode were the poo poo hits the fan. Apparently thats ep 41.

I think one of those numbers isn't right! (I assume you meant 42?)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think one of those numbers isn't right! (I assume you meant 42?)

I brain farted :downs:

I mean we know enough about EP 41 to know that EP 40 wont be the one where the poo poo hits the fan. The second half of EP41 is where apparently the deaths start.

e- Or maybe the poo poo already happened in EP40 and the characters in EP41 aren't aware of it yet. And then even more poo poo happens later. What we know is that Lafter, Akihiro, Shino and Mika are in the Saisei and that by then Barbatos is fixed and probably upgraded. Maybe the hammerhead isn't just doing a straight up man fight but rather are doing hit and runs or just being evasive. Maybe they somehow escaped the dragnet? Maybe the Hammerhead already got hosed up by then? What we know is that after that things got worse.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 16, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

But we know enough about episode 41 to know that thats not the episode were the poo poo hits the fan. Apparently thats ep 41.

Lafter evidently keeps the Hekija, and it's already in Tekkadan colours, probably not a coincidence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Lafter to join Tekkadan so we get to see a Tekkadan wedding

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want Lafter to join Tekkadan so we get to see a Tekkadan wedding

Is that a euphemism for a funeral?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rewatching the opening (several times...) I can't help but notice two things.

1) This song is drat good and I can't wait for the full version
2) During the Tekkadan backs moment, several characters are shown in flashes. Iok, Rustal, Gaelio, that other Teiwaz boss...and Naze. Is it trying to say something here?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that a euphemism for a funeral?

No, we've already seen a Tekkadan funeral. i think it would be fun to see the kids try to throw a wedding, which doesn't seem like the sort of thing any of them would have much experience with

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's actually protecting the rest of the Turbines by running away, since anyone not on the Hammerhead can just declare ignorance of the situation and probably find a different job with Teiwaz.

Also Naze is cool.

Given that we've been shown ample evidence that Jasley and the other Teiwaz bosses think of women as pieces of rear end and this entire episode was about how all the women in Teiwaz grouped together because they were being treated as fifth-class citizens used as disposable chattel because it was the only work they could find, the loss of the Turbines organization is basically a disaster for everyone in it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like Amida's MS in the flashback, seemed to be inspired alot by the Gelgoog. Looked a bit like a leftover G-Reco design actually.

I thought it looked like a Spinner Rodi variant. It was pretty cool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kanos posted:

Given that we've been shown ample evidence that Jasley and the other Teiwaz bosses think of women as pieces of rear end and this entire episode was about how all the women in Teiwaz grouped together because they were being treated as fifth-class citizens used as disposable chattel because it was the only work they could find, the loss of the Turbines organization is basically a disaster for everyone in it.

Well, the Turbines are hosed period. None of Iok's subordinates would betray him and reveal his role in the framing. Teiwaz wouldn't want to stick their nose into this no matter how valuable the Turbines is to them because of how deep the knife is. Naze going dark immediately paints him as guilty in Gjallarhorn's eyes but it does take the heat off everyone else in the Turbines.

If Tekkadan gets involved, there's really nothing they can do to fix things, short of capturing Iok and somehow fishing a convincing confession from him that won't be dismissed as a product of coercion. Sure, they'll probably manage to save Naze's life but clearing his name takes a lot more than they can really do right now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Naze's dead, Lafter's going to Tekkadan, everything else is a crapshoot at the moment given this show's track record with character deaths.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yes, but it's also better than being dead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Naze's dead, Lafter's going to Tekkadan, everything else is a crapshoot at the moment given this show's track record with character deaths.

So possibly the other two were spared at the end of S1 for no reason.

I just remembered how Julietta was introduced, eating an insect and that, did her character get changed earlier on? I thought she was going to be more unruly, but now her main thing seems to be wanting to fit in. Maybe it's just because she now seems completely justified in undermining Iok.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
She's the same as before, super loyal weirdo to rustal who wants to become strong.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Julietta is basically a female Mikazuki, with maybe a slightly less rough edge since she's part of a fancypants "legitimate" military group instead of a rag tag PMC owned and operated by child soldiers.

She tries to keep her comrades alive, she likes to follow orders, and she enjoys a good scuffle. It's a shame that she wasn't introduced earlier, the parallels might've been neat. But now that Mika is half paralyzed, half angel slayer, she seems like kind of small potatos in comparison.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes, but it's also better than being dead.

Ever talked to an escaped trafficking victim? Some of them would argue that point. Teiwaz writ large sounds like they'd turn them into sex slaves or Human Debris.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that gets me in the new opening is the way Orga carries Mika, to me it looks more like he's carrying ammo to load into a gun than a person. They're really pushing the idea that Mika's losing his humanity to become a component of a weapon. He's got kinda the opposite arc to Aki, as the latter was pretty much disposable ammo as human debris (and less disposable but just a controller for an MS when he gets the Gusion Rebake) but has become a much more rounded human being.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

Ever talked to an escaped trafficking victim? Some of them would argue that point. Teiwaz writ large sounds like they'd turn them into sex slaves or Human Debris.

Beaten by this. The remnants of the Turbines organization will quite possibly be in an even worse position than they were prior to Naze picking them up in the first place because now the remnants of their organization will be picked over by a bunch of actively competing predators in the various Teiwaz bosses picking up the pieces rather than simply being ignored and exploited like they were before.

It's also a pretty neat way to further reinforce how bad it is that Tekkadan has become utterly top-heavy(as shown on screen by the Earth arc). The Turbines are the closest organization to Tekkadan we've seen in origin and basic organizational model(one able and charismatic leader with a strong ally liberating and empowering a group of slave workers into a family-esque organization), so it's really easy to draw parallels between the impending collapse of the Turbines and what would happen to Tekkadan almost immediately if anything happened to Orga.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 16, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Although they could go the way of "Oh no look at how horrible it is when your organization literally falls apart because all the weight is on one person" they can also go "drat this is what happens when people are segmented in tribal groups and dont help each other unless its convenient for them"

I'm fully expecting that if any portion of the Turbine's political infrastructure falls apart that Tekkadan will take over it. It will be a massive gently caress you to Jasley and having Orga, which is far less tactful when dealing with political things such as this will be super satisfying. Cant wait to see Orga carrying mika like a sack of potatoes and mika shooting at Jasley from that position.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Although they could go the way of "Oh no look at how horrible it is when your organization literally falls apart because all the weight is on one person" they can also go "drat this is what happens when people are segmented in tribal groups and dont help each other unless its convenient for them"

I'm fully expecting that if any portion of the Turbine's political infrastructure falls apart that Tekkadan will take over it. It will be a massive gently caress you to Jasley and having Orga, which is far less tactful when dealing with political things such as this will be super satisfying. Cant wait to see Orga carrying mika like a sack of potatoes and mika shooting at Jasley from that position.

Yeah, the most likely outcome is the Turbines would be absorbed into Tekkadan because of the whole Brothers thing. Orga would fight to take them in regardless most likely.

Also 50,000 members?! Goddamn, I thought the Turbines were two combat ships and just a general transport company of maybe a few dozen regular (unseen) employees :stare:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a reason why Naze is that highly ranked in Teiwaz, and it's not because he runs one smuggler ship, so it makes perfect sense. :v:

They're most likely loose affiliates that pay him and thus Teiwaz a cut of their profits instead of ships that take their orders from him directly, though, based on what the episode showed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All 50,000 of them are Naze's wives, clearly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

All 50,000 of them are Naze's wives, clearly.

This may actually be the case. Though in this case he likely has not met a good deal of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Space Las Vegas must base its entire economy around the Hammerhead coming into port.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, that shot at the end of the ED with the big group photo has the still-wrecked Barbatos. If that photo is going to change over time, I cant help but worry it's going to gradually depopulate as well :ohdear:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

This may actually be the case. Though in this case he likely has not met a good deal of them.

I'm not sure about met, Naze seems the kind of boss who'd make a point of at least a handshake for new employees. But yeah, it's a fair bet that the overwhelming majority of his "wives" don't have much to do with him.

Episode made Naze's whole setup fairly clear, I think. Naze met Amida when he was just a up and coming young smuggler and she was a merc. They fell for each other hard, so when she took a contract to work with a women's shipping company, Naze followed. And when he saw the lovely conditions, he made a point of trying to make them less poo poo, because he's both a nice guy and a total poon hound, which is why he joined the mob.

Current setup is that women trying to get out of a poo poo situation can "marry into" the turbines, at which point they're part of the family and under Naze's protection. If they want to screw someone who isn't him, that's fine, because the point of the thing is making life less lovely for the family, not helping Naze get more action. If they want to gently caress him, the door's always open. Any kids born into the family from either source (unless someone leaves, in which case they're free to go and best of luck) are treated as Naze's, and kept on a ship until they're old enough for schooling, at which point they go to a nice charter school because being a mob boss has perks.

There's still several questionable points (There's a lot of room for confusion for someone going out of slavery into a marriage for protection, and it's unclear how well Naze can clear it up. I mean, episode makes it clear he doesn't make the offers, but he's not going to turn it down either.) but the episode clarified a number of other issues that put Naze firmly in the same camp as Tekkadan (if more experienced and thus avoiding a few of the pitfalls). It's a hosed up solar system, and it's made up of hosed up people, but these particular hosed up people are trying to make it suck less within their little sphere of influence.

(Which is why Kudelia and McGillis are the two most influential people in the series. They're actually trying to replace the whole broken system, not just carve out a less broken niche. If it works, it helps everybody. But in the meantime, there's going to be a lot of bodies hitting the floor.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Atra: :3:
Mika: :hampants:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
that's a new and terrifyingly appropriate smiley i've never seen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since when does Mika think eating meat is good?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
When has Mika ever thought eating meat is bad? Dude's not going to be averse to a ham sandwich just because he can't get pork most of the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In 'least surprising announcement ever' news, we finally have previews for what the Bael will be using as its weapons.

McGillis really isn't one to give up on a winning formula, is he?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

When has Mika ever thought eating meat is bad? Dude's not going to be averse to a ham sandwich just because he can't get pork most of the time.

There was a whole thing in the first season where Tekkadan got a fancy fish and they were grossed out at the concept of eating it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Maybe he thinks ham is cute.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fish and meat are so different

I love steak but gently caress fish grease smell

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a whole thing in the first season where Tekkadan got a fancy fish and they were grossed out at the concept of eating it.

They have a much greater chance of having seen some chunk of animal flesh on Mars than having been confronted with a live, still-flopping fish on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The reason they didn't want to eat it wasn't because it was fish but because it was once alive. Tekkadan members are shown almost exclusively eating processed ration bars and maybe a few veggies. They make a big deal about it being "real meat" on Earth. They probably have some sort of synth-meat (like UC) in the colonies and Mars.

• Locked thread