Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Je te veux: I Want You: 08/25/2027, 15:42

They would occasionally get into fights about how they should go about their job. Then one day, a little accident occurred. Kazami got a light burn while trying to save a little girl during a dispatch. Once they got back to the fire station, Watase proceeded to scold her harshly for her recklessness.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

You're so reckless I can't even bear to watch. Just make sure you correct that aspect of yourself, if nothing else.
Y... yes sir.

Kazami looked unusually dejected after she had been scolded. For that one moment, it reminded Watase of how she'd looked right after she'd lost her sister-- And thus he found himself blurting out:

...Well, but then again, I do get where you're coming from. You must still be haunted by what happened to your sister.

Kazami's eyes widened.

C-Captain, do you mean... you remember me?
Hmm? Yeah... There's no way I could ever forget you... That was the first time I had ever seen a woman look so heartbroken. I didn't say anything about it because I figured it was something you didn't really want to remember...
N-no, my apologies! All this time, I've wanted to thank you for what you did back than myself...! Thank you very much for delivering my sister's present!
Nah, don't mention it.

Watase patted Kazami on the shoulder with a smile. --Perhaps that was what triggered it all. After that day, Watase and Kazami's relationship began to change. No, perhaps a more accurate way of phrasing that would be ''Kazami began to act strangely''. For example, she would look away from Watase whenever he tried talking to her. And she would run off if they ever crossed paths on the way home...

(What's going on...? Does she hate me now or something? Did I do something to her?)

Perhaps bringing up her past the other day had been the wrong call after all. Her behavior also made Watase uneasy, making their relationship awkward.

Kazami walked up to him as he was in the middle of his independent training on the fire station grounds.

Um... Captain?
Hmm? What's up, Tachibana?

For a moment, he thought she'd come to apologize for her rudeness, but what she said next was truly surprising.

When... is your next day off?
Huh? Well, that came out of nowhere.
J-just answer me, please.

There was something ghastly about her expression. Though he found that puzzling, Watase answered anyway.

...It's right up there on the shifts chart, right? Thursday.
What a coincidence...!
What do you mean?
Actually, I have Thursday off too. Strange, isn't it?
There's nothing strange about it. That's how our rotation's always worked. Anyway, what are you trying to say?
How do you spend your days off?
Huh?

♪ BGM: Foolishness

It felt like he and Kazami were talking about two different things.

(This conversation feels like it's totally out of order... Does she have a fever or something?)

Watase answered despite his confusion.

...Hmm, well, let's see. I don't have much in the way of hobbies. I usually just train... and, well, I also listen to music while I'm at it.
Music? What genres in particular?
Mostly classical.
Classical...!
I don't look the type, huh? But I've loved it ever since I was a kid.

Kazami fell quiet at Watase's explanation-- then she raised her voice as if she'd resolved herself.

I-I like classical too!
Oh, really?
Yes. Like Chopin, and Mozart, and Beethoven... and Chopin.
...You sure like Chopin, huh?
Yes. He's, uh, the piano one, right?

Watase was tempted to say ''That's Erik Satie'', but held his tongue.

Tips posted:

TIP: Erik Satie
Category: Includes fiction

Born Eric Alfred Leslie Satie.

A French composer known for such pieces as ''Gymnopedies'' and ''Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear''. He is known as a forefather of musical impressionism along with his contemporaries Ravel and Debussy, but from the perspective of the people of the 19th century, Satie was an eccentric composer who calmly disregarded the mainstream techniques and traditions of composition at the time. His oddly named piece titles still raise eyebrows today like ''Flabby Preludes for a Dog'', ''Tiresome Pranks'', and the ballet ''Cancelled''. But contrary to the context of their titles, the actual content of the songs were often calm and relaxing and can be said to be the origins of today's genre of easy listening music.

Likewise, when Kazami frantically tried to make small talk with Watase about classical music without knowing anything about their context or content, she surely seemed to be an eccentric like Satie in Watase's eyes. But unbeknownst to him, she would later become a calming existence in his life...

(Looks like she knows very little... no, -nothing- about classical music... So why's she telling such a silly lie like that?)

Watase pondered the reason for Kazami's incomprehensible actions. Soon enough-- an answer flashed through his head.

(... It can't be... Could it be... That Tachibana... Likes me!?)

The answer flashed through his head like lightning, sending a shock through Watase's body. But Kazami was about 25 years old, now that he thought about it. And now that he looked at her closely, she did have an attractive face. So he would have expected her to have some experience in romance by this point. Yet why was she acting like some lovestruck schoolgirl talking to her first crush?

(A-am I thinking too highly of myself...? Wait, but...)

Watase had been through multiple relationships, but he'd been so busy with work lately that he was a bachelor as the moment. So Kazami being in love with him wasn't a problem, but--

(I can't figure out what she really feels...!)

Watase answered Kazami while keeping his guard up slightly.

A-ah... uh, so hey, Tachibana?
Huh...?
The NDK Symphony will be having a concert at the Rokumei City Hall soon, so...

Tips posted:

TIP: NDK Symphony
Category: Fiction

The orchestra funded by the national broadcasting organization NDK. The symphony has a long history and authentic ability. Each month, they put on three performances each for two separate programs.

Fifteen years ago, they put on just two performances of an orchestral concert for the national anime, ''Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND''. The concert became huge among fans and the out-of-print concert CD sold at the time now fetches tens of thousands of yen. They also periodically perform concerts with classical arrangements of video game music as a gateway to introduce boys and girls to classical music. Thus, they are a symphony with a widespread repertoire that men and women of all ages can enjoy.

Would you like to come see it with me?
Definitely!

--An instant reply. Watase was relieved to see a happy smile spread across Kazami's face.

(But man, I didn't expect there to be late bloomers like her in this day and age...)

But he wasn't unhappy about this new discovery in the slightest. Despite that thought, Watase still managed to hide his feelings and return Kazami's smile. --After that, Watase and Kazami would spend many of their days off together... And it wasn't long before they decided to officially start dating. Thus was the beginning of Watase and Kazami's intimate relationship...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TheMcD posted:

''Baba Yaga''

Watase's too sloppy with a gun to be John Wick.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pavane pour une infante defunte: Pavane for a Dead Princess: 10/06/2027, 14:00

She apparently had no experience with romance whatsoever, as she never particularly cared about what she wore-- But ever since she and Watase started going out, she began to grow conscientious of her appearance.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

It happened on one of their days off. Kazami called out to Watase as soon as she arrived at the scheduled meeting place.

It's been ages since I last wore a skirt... It... doesn't look weird, does it?
Not at all. It looks really good on you, Kazami.
I-I see... thank goodness.

Though given Kazami's good looks, almost anything would look good on her in its own way. But rather than her change in appearance, what made Watase happier was the consideration she showed for him that drove her so far as to dress nicely for him.

Okay then, we should get a move on. The movie's about to start.
Yes!

Watase took Kazami's hand and walked off with her. --After the movie, the two of them ate together and went shopping-- Then they decided to head back home after having a little drink.

Today sure was fun, wasn't it...?
Yeah, I had fun. We have another off-day coming up in a little while, so let's come back then.
Yes...

However, Kazami suddenly hung her head down when she said that.

Hmm, what is it?
...I'm sorry... Maybe I'll spoil the mood by saying this...

Kazami paused, then continued in a low voice.

But I feel a little guilty about having so much fun. I wonder if it's okay for me to be happy when I couldn't even save my sister...

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Watase gasped. It seemed the death of Kazami's sister still weighed heavily on her mind. But the way she looked so weak at that moment reminded him of his own past self.

(... We really are similar, huh.)

It was with that thought that Watase held Kazami's hand and spoke.

Hey, Kazami... truth is, there's something I haven't told you yet. I lost my own sister in a disaster too.
Huh...!?

--Watase then told Kazami about his past for the first time. About how he had an older twin sister named Wataru. About how he'd almost died in the Great Rokumei City Arson. About how Wataru had sacrificed her own life to save him. And about how he inherited her last wish to become a rescue worker-- Once he finished telling her all that, Kazami replied with a shaky voice.

No way...
Right after I lost my sister, I felt the same way you're feeling now. It felt like agony knowing I had survived. But you know, Kazami... this is what I think. Since others granted us the right to live, we owe it to them to live happily, don't we?

Watase gazed at Kazami as he spoke.

Of course, the dead can't be happy or sad. But if there really is a heaven or whatever-- Do you think the dead would take pleasure in seeing us unhappy? ...There's no way that they would.

Kazami's eyes widened at those words.

...Is it... Is it okay for me to be happy?
Yeah. For your sister's sake too.
Yes... you're exactly right...

Kazami squeezed Watase's hand back in a tight grip.

...Thank you so much, Ca-- Watase...

Watase quietly wrapped his arms around Kazami's head. --The one thing he couldn't say was ''I'll make sure you stay happy''. For in their line of work, there was no guarantee any one of them would survive forever just because they were close.

(But once I start piling up on the years a little bit more... and stop working on the front lines... Then I swear I'll make her my...)

All he could do now was keep it all looked away in his heart.

...Let's go, Kazami.
...Yes.

Though Watase didn't say where they were going, Kazami gave a nod. Even without words, they could feel their desire for each other. --Just then, a gentle evening breeze passed by and engulfed the couple.

(... We'll be back to life on the battlefield again starting tomorrow. But at least for right now...)

Watase made a silent prayer as he gazed at Kazami's face. If only this moment of peace could last forever...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jupiter: 10/06/2027, 23:59

This chapter is basically just text screens, so that's why it looks the way it does.

In an interval of time that appeared to be neither dream nor reality-- Watase found himself lying down in a quiet forest.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

An evening breeze tickled him.

It had a sweet, vibrant fragrance to it. Watase took a deep breath, filling his heart with that wind.

After living many days of inhaling nothing but smoke and dust, he thirsted for fresh air.

--He couldn't see the sky. It was covered by a canopy of leaves created by the interweaving maze of trees. Soon, he heard the sound of a bird chirping.

(... Where's it coming from?)

Watase got to his feet and looked around for the bird. He pushed his way through a thicket in the beautiful forest.

The bird chirped again. Just then, a small bird flew out of the thicket and perched upon Watase's chest.

(Oh, so this is where you were.)

Watase touched the bird as he took extra care not to hurt it. It didn't fly away. It stayed with Watase and rested its wings.

It felt cold. Its body was damp from the evening dew. For some reason, Watase wanted to grip it hard and kill it--

But instead, he treated it gently.

When he did, the bird began to quietly sing. At first, it did so in a voice so faint it was nigh-impossible to tell it was actually singing.

But it gradually became louder and louder, echoing through the dark forest.

--The wind grew stronger as if summoned forth by the song. The thicket shook, and Watase's hair swayed.

He gently wrapped his hands around the bird to protect it.

The bird kept singing in his hands. The wind grew stronger. Its power stripped the bark off of a nearby tree, causing its leaves to fall and cover him.

Watase couldn't hold on anymore. His body was swept away by the wind, and he was sent flying along with the bird.

Once they cleared the canopy of leaves, Watase's whole vision was filled with the starry sky before him. Two stars shined brightly in particular.

Watase looked at them as he drifted in the night sky.

--Soon enough, the bird stopped singing.

He opened his hands in surprise and found that the bird had fallen asleep at some point.

Watase breathed a sigh of relief, and then gently kissed the sleeping bird.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Serenade: 09/16/2029, 01:16

Now that everything had changed, he couldn't keep living the same way he had before. Exactly one year ago from the present-- Watase had a dream.

A gentle breeze caressed them.

Neither of them said a word. But their hearts were at total peace, and they felt completely satisfied. It was the tranquility Watase had always sought ever since the night where he'd lost everything. --But just then, he felt a presence behind them. Watase turned around in surprise...

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

...and saw Wataru standing there. She looked at Watase without saying a thing. Watase's heart brimmed with a sense of nostalgia.

Wataru, it's been ages...! Have you come to give us your blessing?

But contrary to his expectations, Wataru quietly shook her head.

Huh? Then why are you--

But before he could complete his question... Watase suddenly heard a sound above him.

He looked up in shock to see cracks covering the blue sky. They grew wider in an instant, horrifically warping the heavenly dome.

(It's crumbling down!)

As soon as Watase had that thought, the sky fell down--

Watase screamed and sprung up.

!

Kazami, who had been sleeping next to him, woke up from his scream.

Wh-what's wrong, Watase!?
Ah, n-no... it was nothing... Just a little nightmare, that's all...
...I see.
Sorry I woke you. Let's get back to sleep.

Watase gave Kazami a light kiss, then lay back down. But Kazami kept sitting up. She looked at Watase and spoke.

Hey, Watase...?
Hmm?
You've been acting a little strange lately.
...What do you mean?
Well, I mean, you've been having many nightmares recently... and it also almost feels like you're keeping a lot bottled up. If there's something bothering you, I'm all ears.
I said it was nothing. You're overthinking this.

Kazami sighed at Watase's attempt to dodge the topic.

...You're always pushing yourself like this...
...?

Watase furrowed his eyebrows, and Kazami continued.

...Hey, Watase, you're a strong person. You're kind, brave, and I respect you from the bottom of my heart... You're my hero. However, no matter how strong they may be, no one's invincible. I highly doubt anyone could go on living while hiding all their pain and weakness. So at the very least... isn't it okay to let yourself show some of that weakness to me?

Kazami smiled at Watase. Watase looked away-- her smile was too heartwrenching a sight to behold.

...Hey, Kazami... how long have we been going out?
Huh... What's gotten into you all of a sudden? That said, it's already been about two years, I'd say...
I see...

Though two years didn't sound especially long, those had been the most vibrant days in Watase's life. --Watase loved Kazami deeply. She had blown a warm breeze into his uneasy life. If he hadn't let his curiosity get the better of him, he could've kept living in those days--

(But now, I... I no longer have any right to be with you.)

It had been two months since he had learned the truth. The secrets behind the Great Rokumei City Arson and those who had taken Wataru's life. And thus-- he had joined a terrorist organization so he could get his revenge. If their plan succeeded, the public would come to believe Watase was dead. And if he failed, he'd be tried for his crimes. Neither way would allow him to stay with Kazami... Watase held Kazami close to him and spoke.

...Seriously, you don't have to worry about a thing. Nothing's bothering me.
...I see.

Kazami sighed again. A thought ran through Watase's head as he felt Kazami's warmth through his arms.

(... I have to break up with her. And I have to do it as naturally as possible... so that Kazami doesn't get suspicious...)

And thus, on that night, Watase abandoned the life he had been living. He pushed away all his memories of the time he spent with Kazami and tried to forget them.

(... Kazami, I learned the truth. Now I can't go back.)

Watase steeled his icy resolve. Focusing it on the day he could get his revenge--

Tips posted:

TIP: Summer and Winter Triangles

Tanabata. July 7, 2029.

It was the day of Natsuhiko Tenkawa's yearly hospital examination. He had not exactly come to enjoy the scent of disinfectants, but the meditative silence was satisfactory for him. Never again would he allow her to go through that awful experience-- As he renewed his determination, sleepiness overcame him.

It was the day of Yuuri Kotono's yearly rendezvous. As she watched the boy's sleeping face, she thought back to the events of the previous year. She pondered about the year to come. It was just once a year, but it was a blessing for her-- that was what she had set her heart on. It was the day of her ''death anniversary'' as well.

It was the day Mashiro Toba felt the most melancholic each year. Yearly hospital examinations normally took half a day, but for some reason, Natsuhiko's took an entire day. And it was Yuuri's death anniversary as well... So it had become a habit of Mashiro's to look at the night sky on this day. There she'd see the Summer Triangle. Hikoboshi, Altair of Aquila, the eagle. Orihime, Vega of Lyra, the harp. And finally, Deneb of Cygnus, the swan. It was said that the wings of the kasasagi were what allowed Hikoboshi and Orihime their yearly rendezvous. Why couldn't it have been the wings of the swan? Mashiro pondered that question.

September 16, 2029.

Watase Kasasagi's sleep was interrupted by a nightmare, and for no particular reason, he looked out the window to the night sky. It was not yet the ideal time to see it, but the Winter Triangle was there nonetheless. Betelgeuse of Orion, the hunter. Procyon of Canis Minor, the small dog. And finally, Sirius of Canis Major, the big dog. What connected Betelgeuse, Procyon, and Sirius were AD, Rokumei City, LABO... and BC. The lifesaving Sirius now had to become a hound that hunted BC. Meticulous preparation was necessary for that hunt, but he swore he would succeed... He surrendered himself to dark emotions and softly closed his eyes.

On the decisive day, one year later, the Kasasagi would finally move. Solely to bring Orihime and Hikoboshi together again--

Tips posted:

TIP: Watase Kasasagi

Captain of Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius' Team A and member of the anti-BC organization Q. Conspired with Ukita and others to perpetrate a terrorist attack on LABO.

When he learned how the Great Rokumei City Arson, the incident that claimed the lives of his parents and elder twin sister, was triggered by a test subject confined in LABO-- and previously the PRC-- he joined Q to save her. His calm, intellectual thought process had become a heavily emphasized side of him after he started assisting with Q's plan, but he has also begun to show a somewhat talkative side like Wataru's, perhaps since he was relieved of stress, or perhaps out of the influence of the information Natsuhiko showed him through Senses Sympathy. In exchange for his full cooperation with the investigation of Q, his prison sentence was largely reduced and he was discharged. Through Ena's influence, he is now proceeding with a new life as a Communicator commissioner attached to the ESP Bureau.

Watase, once known as Sirius' Ace, was flawless in both wisdom and physical strength, but he is still lacking in knowledge and understanding of Communicators. At work, he is kept in line by Ena, his superior. At home, he is kept in line by his loving wife and bustling little sister. The suffering continues for the ''thieving magpie'' who stole the hearts of women.

And that brings us to the end of Watase's scenes. Next up is Kazami.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You're keeping a really impressive pace up here!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You're keeping a really impressive pace up here!

Fun fact: I've actually pre-written all the way up to update #510 right now, with only Natsuhiko's scenes left to do, and I'll start working on that tonight.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

Fun fact: I've actually pre-written all the way up to update #510 right now, with only Natsuhiko's scenes left to do, and I'll start working on that tonight.

:monocle: That's amazing. I was only ever one episode ahead at a time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Kazami

With Kazami, we're back to unlocking scenes with new choices during scenes we've already seen. We also have a fair share of scenes with nothing new (''Requiem'' and ''Tod und Verklärung'' A and B).

Nagisa and Jun laughed at Kazami's embarrassed reaction.

...Oh my, it looks like it's already past noon now. Why don't we go home and I'll fix you up some lunch?
Yeah! I'm starving!

Kazami then took Nagisa and Jun hand in hand and started heading back to her residence. On their way, Jun sniffed the air and spoke up.

By the way, Kazami, you smell real good, you know?
Oh, really? I didn't put any perfume on, though.
But you smell like flowers.

Now that Kazami thought about it, Nagisa had told her the same thing before. She hadn't even realized it herself.

Hmm, perhaps it's because I work around flowers all the time.
I bet the smell of flowers is built into your skin now or something. That's wonderful.

Kazami smiled at her sister's childish choice of words. It was a mostly trivial, yet warm memory...

...But either way, no matter what happened in the past, acting without concern for your own safety is dangerous. Keep that passion of yours in check from now on before you act. Always be calm and collected.
Roger that, sir!
Very good! Then head on over to the infirmary right away and get that burn treated!

Kazami found herself speaking up the moment she heard that.

In that case, um, could you please treat me?
What!?
I was burned on the face, so it would be quite difficult for me to treat it myself.
I suppose that's true... No, but even so, you sure you're okay with a man touching your face?
I am if it's you.
Why's that?
Because I know you'll be gentle.
??? What the heck are you talking about... Seriously, sometimes I just don't get what you're saying.
...I am unsure myself. Sometimes I just get like this when I am in your presence.
R-really...? Now you've lost me even more. Well, whatever, the important thing is that you still have burns. If you're that insistent on it, then I'll treat it for you.
Thank you very much, Captain!

Kazami then cheerfully headed for the infirmary with Watase.

But honestly, the whole idea of having your mind read just seems scary to me.

That wasn't unusual for people of Watase's age, but it didn't seem like that was his only reason. Watase had a bad habit of putting a bit of a wall between himself and other people. Perhaps it had something to do with how he'd lost his parents and his sister in the Great Rokumei City Arson.

Captain... would you mind if I asked you a question?
Hmm? What is it?
This is a strictly hypothetical scenario, but let's say someone you knew was a Communicator... How would you feel?
How would I feel...? Mmm, I guess it'd depend on the circumstances. Like, let's say that guy could use empathy but kept it hidden from me. I might feel a bit uncomfortable in that case.
I... see...
Why do you ask? Can you use empathy or something?
Ah, no! Not at all, it's just...
Oh, well that's a bummer.
Huh?
Nah, it's just that I thought it'd be really handy if we had someone on our squad who could use empathy. For rescue missions, I mean. They'd be able to find anyone in the dark without needing a millimeter-wave camera or IRT scanner.
B-but I thought you weren't fond of BC?
Work's a different story. Otherwise, no thank you.

Watase said that, then laughed.

(He's laughing it off as a joke... but it does seem to be true that he doesn't like BC all that much. It'd probably be best not to let him know about my aptitude...)

That said, part of the enlistment process included a genetic exam, so Watase would've been able to find out she had Rank D Aptitude just by reading her file. Maybe he already knew. But Kazami decided there was no reason for her to tell unless she was asked. She'd hate for their relationship to grow awkward as a result.

And then the scene just goes on as normal.

Using the nearby crane, they were successful in opening the cargo lift door. They had yet to find the survivors, but still--

(The six of us here can all escape in one piece, at the very least...)

Kazami was grateful to Watase from the bottom of her heart for that. She walked up to him and spoke gently.

Captain...
Hmm? What is it?
...I'm so glad. It's like you're your old self again...
You mean my usual self?
No, not that. I meant that... it felt like you were the way you used to be back when I first enlisted.
Huh...? So you mean even before I lost my memories today, I'd already been acting different from how I was when you enlisted?
Ah, no, I don't mean you were all that different, it's just that you've been keeping to yourself more than usual recently.
Then you're saying there's three of me? The 'current' me, the 'normal' me, and the me 'when you just enlisted'. Is that right?
Yes, that would be the case.
Hahah, man, I don't sound like a very clear-cut person, do I? Wonder which one's the real me.
I'm sure all of them are. The kind you, the you who works his hardest, the cold and collected you-- all of those are a part of you.
I see. Maybe you're right. One more question then. Out of all the me's I've been, which do you like the best?
That's--...

Kazami swallowed her answer. After all the years she'd spent with Watase, and with the last few hours they'd spent struggling to survive together, Kazami had come to an epiphany of sorts. People change with time. Watase himself had changed a bit from the day she'd met him. But after taking into account those changes, the ever-changing present, as well as the past and the future, she knew--

(... I love this man. The powerless yet brave Watase, the calm and efficient Watase, the kind and gentle Watase... I love all of them.)

A warmth filled Kazami's heart. But it was something that was best left unsaid for now. So Kazami instead smiled and answered Watase.

...Right now, I like you as you are.
Huh?
No matter how much you change, I'll always like the man you -are- more than any memory of who you've -been-.

Watase gave an embarrassed smile. That was the first time Kazami had ever seen such a boyish expression on his face in the many years she'd known him.

Kazami's feelings for Watase grow even further in her mind. And alongside that growth... Another memory that Kazami had sealed away out of embarrassment rises up from the deepest depths of her mind.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Segreto: Secret: 06/01/2027, 14:50

Watase suddenly called out to her one day while she was training.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Huh?

It almost sounded like Watase was finding fault with the locket Kazami always wore around her neck.

Y-yes... what of it?
I see. Still, it's a bit dangerous. It's possible that thing could strangle you if it ever got caught on something during a dispatch.

That was probably a common opinion. Watase was against wearing accessories during a dispatch. This wasn't the first time Kazami had been given that kind of warning since becoming a firefighter.

But... this is like a charm to me. What's more, I keep it under my uniform during dispatches, so could you perhaps overlook it?
Hmm...

Watase looked like he still wanted to say something. Kazami resigned herself, deciding to tell the truth.

...Um, Captain, you see, the thing is... This is a present from my sister.
Huh?
Do you remember...? You delivered it to me along with that letter all those years ago.

Watase's face froze in the blink of an eye when he heard that.

...Then it's like a memento of hers...?
Yes...
I'm sorry... I can't believe I was so insensitive.
N-no, don't be ridiculous.

The genuinely apologetic look on Watase's normally calm and collected face only served to make Kazami feel ashamed of herself.

...Okay then. Take good care of that charm. Something as reliable as that will support you during work.
Thank you, sir.

Kazami was deeply grateful for Watase's kindliness.

It was true that the locket was supporting Kazami, but it was missing just one thing. There was no picture inside. The truth was that she had wanted to put a photo of Nagisa in there... But just about all of their family photos had burned up in the accident. It was an empty locket... that facet of the memento left Kazami feeling a little lonely.

(... But if I ever put someone else's photo in there...)

Then it would be of someone who she considered reliable. Like Jun, or--

...Hmm? Something wrong, Tachibana?
N-no. It's nothing. (... No, I could never ask such a rude favor.)

But Kazami still broke out into a secret little smile. All the while thinking it'd be nice if the day were to ever come when she could ask that favor--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nuages gris: Dark Clouds: 09/07/2030, 09:05

Kazami had been working hard as always. There had been no dispatches recently, leaving her life in relative peace for the time being. But she decided to spend her breaks between work testing how much her skills had grown. Naturally, her training had taught her all sorts of different things she needed for her job. Such as knowledge of things required to become a certified practitioner in various fields. Or knowledge about poisons, hazardous substances, explosives, etc. And of course-- knowledge about past accidents and disasters-- an essential part of disaster prevention.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

She would have one of her juniors, a fire inspector, send her those reports, which she would then read during her breaks between training.

Tips posted:

TIP: Fire Inspector
Category: Nonfiction

A fire rescue dispatch doesn't end with the rescue of the survivors and the extermination of the fire. The fire inspectors still need to investigate the cause of the fire and the extent of the damage. What started the fire? How did it spread? Were the fire alarms and fire extinguishers up to code? What was the extent of the human and material damage...? After the fire departments and rescue squads finish fighting fire and looming death, it is the fire inspectors who take up the remaining evidence as their weapons as they face the truth of the fires.

Finding out the whole story of a fire can help prevent a repeat of the same disaster, and in that regard, is always a useful task. The task of fire investigations falls on the local police or fire department, but to avoid any disputes, Article 35 of the Fire Service Act states that ''when there is a suspicion that a fire has been caused by arson or negligence, the principal responsibility and authority for investigating the cause of the fire shall be vested in a fire chief or fire station chief''. Thus, the fire department usually plays the leading role in the investigation.

(This information really is handy for knowing how to handle a crisis...)

Jun had called it a ''dark hobby'', but their job involved putting their lives on the line anyway. There was nothing dark about it. But regardless of whether or not she was actually doing it to improve her efficiency at work, there was something she'd been investigating for a long time. --It was the record of the ''Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion Accident''. It was that horrific tragedy that had robbed Nagisa of her life and given Jun that scar on her back... It was only natural Kazami was obsessed with the incident. Just then, Kazami's PDA beeped. She checked its screen to find the name of the fire inspector displayed alongside the ''e-mail received'' icon.

(More reports on past accidents...?)

Kazami opened the e-mail as she thought that.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Tips posted:

TIP: Segregated concrete

Cement powder is normally mixed with water in a 55:100 water-cement ratio to harden. Construction workers can cut corners when making concrete by mixing the cement with more water than necessary for various reasons, such as cost-reduction or to avoid rapid hardening during summertime. However, non-adherence to proper water-cement ratios results in structurally weak concrete called segregated concrete.

Buildings made with segregated concrete become defective, are prone to earthquake damage, and suffer from many other problems during normal service life. Segregated concrete is called such because its ingredients have separated into uneven gradients. The ingredients of concrete are water, cement, and aggregates such as rock and stone. Excess water causes the cement and lighter aggregates to separate from the larger, heavier aggregates.

Kazami frowned once she finished reading the e-mail. She first sent a reply thanking Reina, then she contemplated the e-mail's contents.

(Multiple explosions...? Can those really happen so quickly after one another?)

If it really had been caused by a chained explosion, then that would make it one of the worst apartment complex gas explosion accidents in Japanese history. Which meant that it should have been be a prime target for disaster prevention study. Yet this incident had gone largely ignored by firefighting organizations all over the country. Almost like they were trying to let a sleeping dog lie--

(... Another thing to wonder about is the lack of documentation surrounding the incident. What if the documentation wasn't actually lacking-- But rather concealed?)

When she pondered why anyone would do that-- Kazami suddenly remembered something from long ago.

(Now that I think about it, Nagisa told me something interesting about the apartment a while back...)

It might be a special apartment where they gather Communicators.
Oh, what makes you think that?
Well, the lady next door said she was allowed to live in this apartment because her son's a Communicator. She also said, 'families with Communicators are given an advantage in the drawing of lots for renting vacant rooms'.
Oh... I see.

Kazami understood what that information had meant even back then. The apartment complex was an old building, meaning there were many rooms and that the rent was next to nothing. It was a popular property, yet Kazami and Nagisa had been able to move in without waiting for their lot to be drawn. Kazami had thought they had been given favorable treatment since they were orphans-- But it appeared it had been because they were Communicators instead. Such a policy was unique to Rokumei City.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

And then an explosion had occurred at such an important piece of property. Even in the event that the accident had been the complex manager's fault...

(Then it's possible the cause of the accident was covered-up too...?)

It was a rather offbeat theory, but one that couldn't be completely ruled out.

The Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex... perhaps I should investigate that accident myself...

Just then, someone called out to Kazami.

Hey, Tachibana, what're you staring off into space for? Did you finish up those documents I gave you yesterday?
Ah... y-yes. I have.
I see. Then put them on my desk.

Watase said that, then turned around.

Ah, where are you going, Captain?
It's my shift. I'm heading back.

Watase went into the station with that curt reply.

Kazami watched him walk off with a feeling of gloom in her heart. Watase had grown cold over the last year. Almost like he was a totally different person. What's more, he'd seemed very tense over the past few days. Kazami had tried to get him to talk about whatever was on his mind multiple times-- But he rejected her efforts at every turn.

(... Why won't Watase say anything?)

There was too much Kazami didn't know. Such as Watase's thoughts, and the cause of the accident nine years ago. Or what she should do, or why she was so obsessed with this incident. But she felt as if vaguely sinister black clouds were hanging over all of them...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dunno how I feel about these scenes. It's great learning a few new things, but on the other hand the game seems really more focused on hammering home the character's established personalities rather than revealing anything groundbreaking.

Miyako is also the worst again, holy poo poo what a moron.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
But she loves her son, so everything is redeemed! *groan*

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, for the personal Senses voting that I'm going to have at the end of the LP (like we did back at the end of Route Before), I'm thinking about adding a "honorable / dishonorable mention" category for side characters (which is totally not so I get an opportunity to swoon over Subject N).

I think I can imagine how the "dishonorable" part is going to go.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

You know, for the personal Senses voting that I'm going to have at the end of the LP (like we did back at the end of Route Before), I'm thinking about adding a "honorable / dishonorable mention" category for side characters (which is totally not so I get an opportunity to swoon over Subject N).

I think I can imagine how the "dishonorable" part is going to go.
So can I. Who could ever forget how rude those random kids were, blaring their BC music to innocent brains during lunch? The scoundrels!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Haifisch posted:

So can I. Who could ever forget how rude those random kids were, blaring their BC music to innocent brains during lunch? The scoundrels!

I will not have you disparaging the good name of Angel Kamiya and the Communicators! They'll be the hottest band in Japan in no time, I tell you!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flower: 03/05/2021, 16:22

To be more exact, it was a memory of when Kazami was still living with Nagisa--

Thank you, Sis.

Nagisa had begged Kazami to buy her some flowers that day. They were a little tight on savings, but a small gift like that wouldn't do any harm. Since Kazami worked at a flower shop, she could buy as many unsold flowers as she wanted for cheap.

What's this flower called?
It's a rosemary. Isn't it cute?

Tips posted:

TIP: Rosemary

An evergreen shrub of the mint family Lamiaceae, originating from the Mediterranean region. ''Mannenro'' in Japanese. The genus name ''Rosmarinus'' is Latin-derived from ''dew of the sea''. It can withstand droughts, illness, and direct summer sunlight, and is thus an easy herb to grow. In the language of flowers, it means ''memory'', ''remember'', and ''think of me''. It also appears in William Shakespeare's play ''Romeo and Juliet'' as a flower for remembrance.

The flower would remind Nagisa of her older sister, and Kazami of her younger sister. Even if death parts them, the memory of the flower's modest scent will forever bind the two sisters together.

Yeah! It smells great too!

Kazami smiled when she saw her sister's nose twitch from the scent.

But why did you want flowers so suddenly?
Um, well... I thought maybe I wouldn't be so lonely if I had flowers with me while I'm home alone.
Huh?
You see, whenever I smell flowers, it reminds me of you. 'Cause you always smell like flowers.
Oh, really?
So even when I'm alone, as long as I've got flowers in the room... it makes me feel like you're there with me, and I don't feel lonely anymore.

Nagisa's innocence wrenched Kazami's heart.

(So that's why...)

Kazami understand fully well what Nagisa was talking about. The flower shop's manager had told her about it before. According to her, it seemed that ''scent memories'', as they were known, were actually the strongest memories of them all.

Tips posted:

TIP: Scent memory

The taste and smell of madeleines soaked in tea reminds him of a period in his past life-- a famous scene in the beginning of French literary master Marcel Proust's ''Remembrance of Things Past''. The protagonist and narrator remembers how he had also soaked madeleines in tea when he was younger, and the scent and taste triggered his memories of the past to unravel... Human olfactory receptors are said to be able to discern thousands of scents. Furthermore, out of all the senses, the sense of smell is the most directly connected to the hippocampus that governs over memory, and the amygdalae that govern emotions. It is very possible that a scent can trigger the recollection of memories that an individual has associated with it.

This phenomenon is called the Proust effect, after the aforementioned Marcel Proust. The faint scent of chlorine from when you get out of a pool and the appetizing aroma of dinner tickling your nose when you come back to your family home might make you feel nostalgic. Such experiences could be a result of the Proust effect.

Even if normal memories grew faint, those related to scents didn't fade away so easily. She also said that smelling something you once smelled in your past often brought back memories related to that scent.

(... So that's why Nagisa remembers me whenever she smells flowers, huh.)

Then perhaps putting flowers in the apartment would help alleviate some of Nagisa's loneliness. It saddened Kazami that she was unable to do anything else for her sister, but--

...Nagisa, I'll buy you lots of flowers from now on. Sound good?
Yeah!

Nagisa broke out into a broad grin that spread across her whole face, which Kazami returned in due. --It was a memory of their fairly trifling day to day life. Nagisa would some day grow up, and when she did, perhaps her memories of that day and the loneliness of being home alone would be long forgotten. But her memories of the scent of flowers would likely never fade. At least, that's what Kazami hoped. She wished that they'd never forget about these days of modest happiness...

Tips posted:

TIP: Nagisa Tachibana

Kazami's little sister who was confined in LABO under the designation ''Subject N''.

After getting caught in the 2021 Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion, she was transported to the hospital. After receiving treatment and undergoing examinations, medical staff became aware of the fact that she was a Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 Communicator, and had confined her in LABO with the official story that she died of a brain hemorrhage.

After she was trained by Koki Sumida, the commissioner in charge of her, she used Senses Sympathy to change his impression of her and get him on her side in a plot to escape which tragically failed. LABO labeled her deed as the ''Subject N escape incident'' and renewed security measures, allowing her no chance of escape. She felt the malice LABO bared towards her, which exacerbated her own malice. The repeated experiments eventually caused her the complete loss of self, leaving nothing but a ''shell'' of her former self, a mass of pure malice no different from the N-ified Alice Enflamme.

It is said that when a Communicator uses Senses Sympathy, they leave traces of themselves in the memories they view in order to differentiate between those memories and reality. In each segment of memory falsified by Subject N, Natsuhiko sensed the scent of rosemary. That scent was the heartbreaking evidence that she was once the girl called Nagisa Tachibana.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Voi che sapete: Tell Me What Love Is: 09/12/2027, 14:55

She found her mind twisting and turning over a certain question.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

That thought had been racing through Kazami's head as she and the rest of Team A jogged as a part of their daily morning routine. The night before, Watase had taken her to a classical music concert with him. She'd never been to one before. So Kazami had spent the whole night before that studying up on classical music so she'd be able to hold an actual conversation with Watase on the subject. Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel, Bach, Dvorak-- Major and Minor keys, the structure of a fugue, counterpoints, the history of music, the lives of musicians, musical interpretation... She'd also gone and bought a dress for the occasion the morning of the concert, and had also gone to the beauty parlor. And then the big night finally came. Kazami sat next to Watase and listened to the NDK Symphony-- At least until she'd fallen into a peaceful slumber at some point. ...When she woke up, Watase was holding her hand. She likely would never forget the surprise she felt at that moment for as long as she lived. But the concert ended right after that, and Watase had let go so he could applaud. In the end, she never figured out why he'd done that... Kazami could still feel the warmth of Watase's hand in her palm at that very moment. Her heart pounded like crazy every time she remembered it.

(Could the Captain feel the same way as...! No, that couldn't be it... He went back home right after we had dinner last night, after all... But perhaps that was his way of showing kindness to me since he knew I was tired...! No, maybe I'm just interpreting things the way I wish they were... But-- then why did the Captain hold my hand...!?)

Her feelings kept fluctuating like mad as she ran around the fire station.

...What are you doing, Tachibana? You're a lap behind, aren't you? Hey, quit spacing out. Run with your eyes forward, not down.

Someone was telling her she was falling behind. But Kazami was in no state to care about any of that.

(Oh no, what's gotten into me? I'm supposed to be training. This isn't the time to be thinking about--)
Hey, Tachibana. There's a car coming up from behind.
(B-but... if the Captain really does l-like me, then...!)
Hey, that car's gonna run right into you. Where are you even looking?
(I'm... I'm so happy... so much so that I just want to--!)
D-dumbass! You're running right into the street!
Huh!?

Someone suddenly tugged Kazami's arm. It happened so suddenly that she lost her balance and fell.

Ahh!
Uwah!
Huh... what...?

When she opened her eyes, Watase was right in front of her. He was pushing her against the sidewalk. There was barely any distance between them.

What the hell were you thinking!? You got a death wish!?

Kazami didn't understand what had happened. All she -did- know was that Watase was in front of her. --At that moment, something within Kazami just seemed to burst.

Um, Captain...
What now?
I... love you.
...Wait, what?

Watase's eyes widened. It was the first confession Kazami had made in her life.

Di... did you just...

Hearing that trembling voice abruptly brought Kazami back to her senses. When she did, she grew incredibly embarrassed of what she'd just said-- of her confession that lacked any regard for timing or anything...

C-Captain...!
Y-yes?
Y-you didn't happen to hear what I just said, did you!?
N-no! I heard nothing, I swear!
You -did- hear it, didn't you!?
No I didn't!
Y-you've got it all wrong! I just got a little lost in the moment, that's all!
Hey, hold on! Lost in the moment of what!? Who the hell confesses their love in the middle of training!?
AAAAAAAH! So you DID hear me! Please forget all about it!
How do you expect me to do that!?

Their rather childish argument echoed all around them. A refreshing autumn breeze blew through the sky.

Tips posted:

TIP: Kazami Tachibana

Lieutenant of Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius. She assists Watase, the captain, as a capable rescue worker who remains calm in the face of any situation.

She suffered heartache with the loss of her beloved younger sister Nagisa in the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion, but once she overcame that sadness, she devoted all her efforts and strove to be a rescue worker. While the fire department and rescue squad were never formally segregated by gender, few women had taken up the career path for physical strength reasons. Acknowledging those challenges, she made herself thoroughly acquainted with various pieces of equipment and their use. She tempered her physical strength until she wouldn't be outdone by men. And finally, she earned her place as Rokumei City's first female rescue worker.

During Sirius' Longest Day, her body was inundated with large amounts of WX particles, giving her Rank S Aptitude, but since she had essentially never used BC before then, she was deemed as not at immediate risk for N-ification. Thus, she was left outside of confinement, but remains under observation.

After the age of 30, Communicators rapidly become more and more at risk for cancer and brain disease, and the risk only increases with higher aptitude. But in spite of those worrying statistics, not a trace of anxiety can be seen on her face as she devotes herself happily to her loving husband. The wind vane faces difficulty head on-- That's what someone precious had told her.

And so that's it for Kazami's scenes. Next, we'll be skipping Natsuhiko, like I said, and going with Jun instead.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This really seems more like something Jun would do, but I guess on the other hand who didn't make a fool of themselves trying to impress someone they like.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Jun

Now, it's time to unlock some scenes for Best Buddy Jun. The scenes available here that have no new stuff are ''(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'', ''Holding Out for a Hero'', ''Fight Fire with Fire'' and ''The Dark Side of the Moon: B''. Don't worry about there being two more scenes I've already looked at - I did that by mistake.

Jun always felt like her heart was being crushed every time she heard a siren go off in the city or saw Kazami come home from work hurt.

Sis, I feel the same way as you. I don't want you to leave me all by myself either.
Jun...
...I didn't fill in for Nagisa just so you could spoil me. I wanted to take up that role so I could protect you in her stead, too.
I see... that's true... If that's how you really feel, then I won't stop you.

Though she said that, Kazami was clearly a little angry.

...But you have to promise me that you'll treasure your own life as highly as you can, even when you're working.
Of course I will. You better do the same, you hear?
Yes... for you, I will.

The two of them then exchanged smiles.

And that's the end of that chapter.

The group rescued ''Yuuri'', a civilian who'd been caught up in the accident... but Watase had lost his memories. Jun was worried about him too-- but despite Watase's condition, he still told them this:

Huh? You sure you'll be okay, Captain?
It's true that I don't remember all that much and that I might just be a burden in your eyes... But that doesn't change that I'm still a rescue worker, right? So I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just sat on the sidelines while you're all still hard at work.

Those words moved Jun.

...Wow, that sounded pretty badass.
No, I think it's normal. I'd hate having to force only women to work.
Hmm, I hate it when people treat me like a girl... but I like your guts. Well, there's always the possibility you could get caught in a fire if you stay here, and we gotta keep shooting you up with AD... So maybe having you come with us would be the safest bet after all.
All right! Then--
However!

Jun swiftly pointed at Watase's nose.

This is no ordinary mission. So if you wanna stay with us as a rescue worker, then you've gotta be ready to accept the responsibilities and duties that come with it.
...!
You'll be treated as a new recruit until you get your memory back. So basically, you'll be in the same boat as me. I know I'm being real rude here, but you could die otherwise, so... You good with all that?
Y-yeah! Of course!

Jun's heart warmed when she saw Watase answer so obediently.

(He's always so cool-headed... but it looks like he can be cute too.)
Alrighty! Then I'll back you up all the way, so let's both do our best together!
Yeah!

--They then reformed their team and continued their search.

And from there, the chapter continues as normal (or rather starts as normal, with the team finding Ena).

(I hope we can regroup with Dojima and Hiyama as soon as possible.)

She would feel much more at ease if they were able to rendezvous with Dojima and Hiyama, her two coworkers. But when they finally found Dojima-- He was almost beyond recognition.

Why did Dojima have to die...!?

As Jun desperately tried to hold back her tears, Watase called out to her gently.

It's okay, Moribe.

She was a bit hurt at how little impersonal his words sounded.

...But Captain... Dojima was one of your close friends, wasn't he?
You don't feel sad...? Or is it just that you can't feel sad because you've lost your memories?
...I don't know.
Are you serious--
I'm sorry, but I really don't know. Not even if I'm sad or not...

Watase's face warped when he said that. --It was then that Jun realized... Watase was sad at the simple fact that he couldn't even feel sad about his own coworker's death.

...Sorry. I can't share your pain right now.
Ah, d-don't worry about that... I'm sorry, don't worry about me...

It was at that moment that Jun felt like she'd been touched by the core of Watase's heart. By the despair he felt at having been thrown into this horrible situation without a single memory of who he was... Yet he kept on moving forward in spite of that. Jun and the others left the room and continued the search. But they were still short on AD, and time was wasting away by the second.

And once more, the chapter only really starts here, but it's the same as we already know.

But he had left their group the key they needed to keep moving forward. In that key lay what was most certainly the will of someone who had lived to their fullest. Those who had been entrusted with that will would accept it and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. Much like how it was Nagisa's existence that had brought Kazami and Jun to where they were now.

...Thanks, Captain.
Thank Hiyama... It was probably him who made me say all that.
Yeah... you're right. Thank you, Hiyama. I'll live on for you too...

Thus-- she would use her life to accomplish what had to be done: Saving human lives.

(That's right... that's the whole reason I came here, after all.)

Jun clenched her hands into tight fists when she thought that.

A new memory relating to him comes back to life from the innermost depths of her mind.

And that's all the scenes for Jun unlocked. Like I mentioned earlier, I already looked at two by mistake, so we actually have four to go through.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Honky Tonk Woman: 08/01/2030, 07:48

Jun finally fulfilled her dream of joining ''Sirius'' after half a year of waiting for her transfer. As such, she was moved from the Rokumei City Eastern Fire Department to the Central Fire Department...

(This is where Sis works... the front line for rescue workers!)

She wasn't only happy about getting to wear the uniform she'd admired for years. She was also excited about the prospect of possibly meeting ''him'' too.

Her memory of her savior was faint since it'd been nine years, but she felt she'd recognize him as soon as she saw him.

(Wonder if he'll remember me... I'd like to thank him once, at least.)

She then entered the station with those thoughts in mind--

Ah, good morning!

Jun saluted and greeted him.

I'm Jun Moribe, Firefighter! I'll be working at Sirius starting today! I swear I'll work myself to the bone to save lives, so let's both do our best together!

It was supposed to have been the perfect greeting. ...But the worker didn't respond no matter how long Jun waited.

...?
...Um, hello~?
Tch, not a speck of lady in this one either...!
Huh?

Jun was taken aback by how suddenly he clicked his tongue.

Uh, what do you mean by 'this one either'?
Nothing. Just talking to myself.
Then what about the 'no speck of lady' part!?
...I meant now our squad has two nutcases for women who decided they actually wanted to work to save lives.
Wha-!?
Well, whatever. Once you enlist, there is no man nor woman. You say you'll work yourself to the bone? Well, you'd better mean that.

The man left with those words. Utterly stunned by what had just happened, all Jun could do was watch him walk off into the distance.

A... rear end in a top hat! The hell's his problem!?

A voice called out to Jun from behind right after she let that curse slip through.

Jun, what are you upset about?
Ah, Sis! Hey, what's that guy's problem!? Our first meeting, and what does he say? 'Not a speck of lady in this one'! I hate it so much when people tell me that!
Who do you mean, 'that guy'?
That worker with the creepy eyes! Seriously, they look like a freaking lizard's!
Lizard... Jun, I think the man you're talking about... is our squad's captain. Fire Lieutenant Watase Kasasagi.
Huh!?
The captain's been complaining about that for a while. I believe his words were 'Five members on Team A, and two of them are women? What the hell is HR thinking?'.
Misogynist prick! Why the hell does a son of bitch like that have to be my superior--
Jun, watch your tongue! You can't use that kind of language here!
But Sis~...

Jun started pouting like a kid from her dissatisfaction. Kazami's face stiffened up at that moment.

Jun, this is a good opportunity for me to lay down some ground rules for you here. First of all, you are not to refer to me as 'Sis' while we're on duty.
Huh?
I am your superior henceforth. As such, you are to treat me as such and will refer to me as either 'Fire Sergeant Tachibana' or 'Lieutenant'.
Whoa, hey now, you can't expect me to get rid of old habits so--
That's an order. Furthermore, you are to use proper language when you are on duty. That is how I speak to everyone here, and you are to be no exception, Ensign Moribe.
Oh poo poo, you're serious, ain't ya? Geez, you're such a stickler, Sis~
Do. You. Hear. Me. Loud. And. Clear?

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Though Kazami was not often prone to anger, Jun knew that there was nothing scarier than an enraged Kazami. Thus Jun clicked her heels and gave a salute before that storm of indignation could burst free.

P... pardon my insubordination, Lieutenant!

And thus Jun's life as a rescue worker unfolded.

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

--Though he always sounded full of himself, Watase's skills were next to none on the field. Jun had passed both firefighting academy and the rescue worker exam at the top of her class and had been treated as a real up and comer by the Eastern Fire Department, but she was nowhere near Watase's league. Armed with his physical abilities, level-headed judgment, and vast wealth of experience-- all of which far exceeded Jun's-- he truly was an ideal rescue worker.

(H-hmph... not bad, I guess.)

She couldn't stand his utter indifference, but she quickly grew to have faith in his skills. With Watase, Kazami, and Hiyama's cool heads balanced out by Dojima and Jun's wild personalities, the five of them made a great team.

(It's almost like human resources had that in mind when they assigned me...)

--At first she wasn't sure about the whole deal, but her days at Sirius weren't so bad after all. But there was one thing that kept bugging her.

Jun had been looking around the fire department to see if the rescue worker who'd saved her was there. But no one knew who she was talking about. Even Kazami was the same. All she had to say on the subject was ''Who knows... Why don't you try asking the Captain?''. But after Jun finally mustered up her courage and asked him, Watase simply said ''Hell if I know'' and left it at that.

(Well, I guess I'm glad it's not the Captain, but still.)

At any rate, it'd already been over nine years since that day. It wouldn't be surprising if he'd transferred or something.

(... So I guess that means my hero's no longer here, huh?)

Jun was a little disappointed that she couldn't show that man just how much she'd grown.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dirty Work: 09/13/2030, 11:54

Jun had been visiting public institute after public institute for disaster prevention guidance purposes.

Aren't you...?
Hmm? Have we met somewhere?
We were all at the scene of that accident! Remember?
Ah! You're the kids who reported that accident, aren't you?

--Those kids were ''Natsuhiko'', ''Mashiro'', and ''Louise''. They appeared to look up to Jun. Jun was also a bit happy about that, so when they asked her why she became a rescue worker to begin with, she answered honestly.

I guess it's because I wanted to be a hero.
A hero?
Well, to be honest, ever since I was a kid, I've been something of a tomboy. I always wanted to be the 'hero' who saves people instead of the 'heroine' who needs to be saved. It's kinda tough to define what exactly a hero is, but saving people's lives is pretty drat heroic, I'd say.

However, Jun was thinking something else then too.

(Well, I guess I do have another motive... Maybe it was also to get back at my old man.)

Jun's father, a city council member, was still as arrogant now as he had been when Jun was a child. He was a total snob who still spat on the ''justice'' Jun believed in-- nothing like the heroes Jun admired. As a councilman of a city that had garnered much influence over the years, he had probably done several things that skirted on the edge of illegality. Jun had tried to gain his attention when she was a kid, but she more or less gave up by the time she entered middle school. In high school, she frequently left the house to hang out at Kazami's place instead, and once she graduated, she left home for good. Jun was currently living by herself in a small apartment she rented.

(Well, he lives his own way and I live mine. We're both adults now, after all.)

Of course, whatever her father did had nothing to do with her. She figured she'd just live doing what she felt was right. Once she parted ways with Natsuhiko and his friends--

When she spotted a familiar face in an office.

(Aw crap, Daddy!?)

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Jun frantically hid behind a door. She hadn't seen her father in the two years since she left home.

(What's Daddy doing at the PRC...?)

It looked like her father was talking to the PRC's chief.

PRC Chief: ...There've been quite a lot of disasters lately... and I've got a feeling none of them were acts of God, if you know what I mean.
Mr. Moribe: So it really is -their- work, isn't it?
PRC Chief: I can't say for sure, but it's definitely possible. But assuming it is, should we call those concerned to attention... to avoid a repeat of nine years ago?
Mr. Moribe: Impossible. How would we explain it to them?
PRC Chief: ...Perhaps we should disclose some information. It'd be a good opportunity, wouldn't it?
Mr. Moribe: Disclose information? All that'd do is fuel the residents' anxiety. We mustn't acknowledge that members of Q have slipped their way into Rokumei City. No matter what. It took us over ten years since that incident to finally achieve our current level of peace. That'd all go down the drain it we were to reveal the truth now. So we'll take care of this matter secretly. Got it?
PRC Chief: ...

The chief grew quiet.

(... What're they talking about?)

Nothing they said made any sense to her. There had always been a part of her father that had been shrouded in mystery for many years. After all, he was the man who'd ignored the citizen's protests and carried out the setup of cameras all over the city and strengthened the city gate regulations.

(Well... it's got nothing to do with me. I don't mind letting sleeping dogs lie.)

Jun left the building with that thought.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh man I forgot about that Jun/Watase scene until I saw the opening to it, and instantly knew what happened in there.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Roll Over Beethoven: 09/05/2027, 12:23

Jun had started to notice something off about Kazami's behavior.

But for some reason, Kazami acted like her mind was galaxies away.

Hey Sis, what should we eat for lunch?
Good question... What would be nice?

Calling out to her only resulted in receiving half-hearted replies like that one. Jun raised her voice in frustration.

Sheesh! What's gotten into you, Sis!?
Huh?
Did I do something to piss you off or something? If you got something you wanna say, then let it out.
Ah, no... you didn't make me angry, it's just...

After she finished mumbling nervously, Kazami quietly continued.

...Actually, there was something I wanted to ask you...
Huh? What's up?
...Jun, have you... Ever gone out with a guy before?
Huh!? Wh-where'd this come from!?
Ah, um... well, as your substitute older sister, I just felt it might be better for me to know these kinds of things, that's all...
No, I haven't... B-but, it's not like I'm unpopular or anything, you hear? I've gotten love letters and confessions and stuff before...
I see...

Kazami sighed.

(Wh... what's up with her?)

Jun had thought that pigs would fly before Kazami would ever bring up the topic of love. Just when Jun wondered if she should start checking the skies to be safe, Kazami asked another quesfion.

Then let me ask a different question... Do you... know much about classical music?
Huh? Classical music?
If you do, then I'd like you to tell me as much as you know...
Sorry, my brain's a total blank on the subject. All I listen to is rock.
...I see...

Kazami let out another deep sigh. Jun had started doing a lot of things to rebel against her father around the time she entered middle school. Said father was a classical music aficionado. Under the belief that ''he who hates Peter harms his dogs'', Jun had grown to associate classical music with her father, and thus hated it, turning to rock instead in rebellion.

Tips posted:

TIP: He who hates Peter harms his dogs

A similar Japanese proverb is ''If you hate a Buddhist priest, you also hate his clothes''. As for the opposite sentiment, loving everything about something you love, there are the English idioms ''love is blind'' and the Japanese idiom ''even their pockmarks are dimples''.

Jun's opposition to her father caused her to even hate his taste in classical music. If she were to learn that Watase has the same taste as her father, she would probably find it even harder to get along with him than before.

(But why's Sis bringing up love and classical music like that? She hasn't shown interest in either topic up until--)

It was then that the pieces clicked in Jun's head and she gasped.

Oh my God! Don't tell me you finally found a guy you like!?
Huh!? Wh-what makes you think that!?
Well, it just sounds like you've got the hots for some guy who likes classical music, so you're trying to get into it too just so you can hold a conversation with him or something.
N-no! That's not it at all... Um, well, you see... right, I heard it has relaxing effects!
Relaxing effects?
Yes, they say that listening to classical music works wonders at putting a tired mind to ease, right? I've been working with so much pent-up stress lately that I thought listening to classical music might be the remedy I need...
Oh really...?

It sounded like she was lying, but Jun decided not to press her on it for now. In exchange, she gave Kazami a warning instead.

But let me just give you a little heads up, Sis-- All guys who like classical music are scumbags.
Wh-what!?
Well, I mean, my father likes it. And I've think I've already told you what a scumbag he is.
B-but that just sounds more like you're being too biased, if you ask me...
Nope, a person's taste in music shows their true colors. You've gotta keep that in mind when you're picking out a guy, you get me?
A... all right.

Jun secretly thought to herself once she saw Kazami's meek reply.

(Good... this should keep Sis away from any sickos. God be damned if that day ever came...)

Jun would feel a little lonely if Kazami ever got a boyfriend, but it would ultimately be a cause for celebration. But that man would have to meet Jun's highest standards before she ever accepted him.

(... I made up my mind to protect Sis in Nagisa's place. That includes keeping her safe from any bastard who doesn't give her everything she deserves.)

Jun secretly renewed her determination to maintain that policy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Light My Fire: 09/15/2030, 12:18

Of when Jun had been sent out on that dispatch right after Natsuhiko and his friends had told her there could be terrorists out there.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Operator: The report was called in by the Rokumei City Security Department. The cause of the explosion is currently unknown. It's possible an explosive was involved. Firefighting squads and the elite rescue squad are to hurry to the scene and conduct firefighting and rescue efforts.

Jun found herself stunned when the PRC finally came into view. The power of that explosion had been no laughing matter. Glass had scattered all over the place, and part of the building had been destroyed.

(No gas explosion or anything like that could have done this much damage...!)

She recalled the terrorists that Natsuhiko and her friends had told her about just a few minutes ago. Just then, Watase began handing down orders to all of Team A.

We don't know the full situation, so it's too dangerous to go blindly rushing in! Take care of directing the evacuation first!
(Huh!? Directing the evacuation!?) H... hold on, Captain! What if survivors are still around!?
No backtalk, rookie! Just follow my orders!
!! (The hell's his problem!? Someone needs to get it into his head that he's not a goddamn dictator! Our job is to save lives! I'm sure the rescue worker who saved me would have always put that first no matter what the dispatch--!)
Ah, Moribe! Where are you going!?
Dumbass! Don't go acting on your own!

Jun ignored their calls and ran towards the building. But just as she tried to enter the facility by herself--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Something exploded in the building, sending something flying out of it towards Jun. She looked up and realized it was a steel desk bigger than her.

(O-oh crap!!)

--I can't get away in time! Just as she thought that, a voice called out to her--

???: Moribe!

Jun then felt something push her out of the way one second before the desk was due to hit her. When she came to her senses, she realized Watase was on top of her, shielding her with his body.

Ah... C-Captain...?
Idiot, what did I tell you!?
I-I'm sorry...
Well, whatever. Anyway, are you okay!?
Huh...?
What's wrong? You're not hurt, are you!?
...Hey, you gonna keep staring at my face or are you going to say something?
Sorry, it's just-- I'm a bit surprised you're worried about me, that's all.
Of course I'm worried about you, idiot. As your superior, that's my job.

However, she felt a bit awkward hearing that from the Captain, seeing how she didn't get along with him so great. Jun's flustered state of mind was interrupted by Watase rapidly springing to his feet.

Moribe, on your feet! Don't forget we still have a mission to do!
Y-yes, sir!

Jun quickly took Watase's hand and stood up. When she did, she found herself faced with an unusually stern glare from Watase.

...Listen up, Moribe, and don't forget what I'm about to tell you. We rescue workers are by no means heroes. We're ordinary people. If you die, that's it. End of the line. So you have to prioritize your own survival when you're on the job. The only times we rescue workers can act recklessly is when we're absolutely sure we'll survive. Got it? Make sure you always keep that in mind.
Y... yes sir...

Kazami ran over to them at that moment.

--Captain, Moribe, are you both all right!?
Tachibana, this happened because you were negligent in your supervision duties! Keep a tighter grip on the rookie, got it!?
Sir, my sincerest apologies, sir!
I'm leaving Moribe in your hands. I'll give orders to Dojima and Hiyama.

And with that, Watase quickly dashed off. Jun stared at him with along gaze.

(So in the end, he may be a hardass, but the Captain sure is amazing... I don't even hold a candle to him as I stand now.)

But he was a world apart from the image of a hero that Jun had concocted in her mind. To Jun, a ''hero'' was someone who could do anything they set their heart on even without the skill or experience.

(But... in reality, the heart alone can only accomplish so much...)

Her failure to realize that fact had almost cost Jun her life just now.

(Tch... I've still got a long way to go. The Captain's right to call me a rookie. Then I've got to learn as much as I can from him so I can stand on my own as soon as possible!)
--Moribe, we need to get going too.
Yes!

Jun nodded, then chased after Watase with Kazami.

Tips posted:

TIP: Jun Moribe

A beginning rescue worker attached to Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius Team A.

She has little experience as a firefighter, let alone a rescue worker, but with her indomitable spirit, she passed the selection test. She was motivated simply by her adoration for ''heroes''. She met her ''hero'' in the aftermath of the 2021 Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion. After she recovered from the grief of losing her close friend, she strove to become a rescue worker to follow in the footsteps of her ''hero'' and Kazami. She's deep-hearted and abhors crooked things, but that didn't necessarily make her more cut out for rescue work than anyone else. For that reason, Jun took up Kazami's advice and used her dexterity and agility to her advantage. Her rope climbing and knot tying abilities were so impressive, they astonished the active rescue workers and provided her just enough push to pass the selection test.

After ''Sirius' Longest Day'', she did her best to support the squad after its loss of four members by studying and training even harder than before. She never gave up hope, and even in the most desperate of times, she made composed judgments, thus gradually gaining the respect of the experienced firefighters and rescue workers.

Jun once adored ''heroes''. She still does. But if you were to ask everybody now, they'd say she herself is close to achieving that ideal ''hero'' status. Everybody but Jun herself, that is.

And that's it for Jun. Next up will be Yuuri.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unlocking Scenes - Yuuri

With Yuuri, we have three scenes to unlock scenes in, and a fair share we've already seen (''Heart of Darkness'', ''Ma-in'', ''Ushinawareru Monogatari'', ''Natsu no Replica'', ''For Whom The Bell Tolls'' and ''Towa mo Nakaba wo Sugite'')

...That might be possible. Fortunately, Natsuhiko hasn't awakened yet. As long as he's still unaware of the circumstances, then may be... But are you sure, Yuuri?
I'm sure. Because Hikorin... has saved me time and time again.

When she said those words, Yuuri was reminded of all the times he had saved her.

How when Yuuri was worried about not making any friends, Natsuhiko had told her about Mashiro. How when Yuuri was agonized by her family problem, Natsuhiko had tried to save her. Natsuhiko always cared for Yuuri, and he was always there for her.

Professor... I want to repay Hikorin. Even during the fire, he used telepathy to save me. 'I... don't want Hikorin to be locked away just because of that.
Yuuri...
You see, Professor... This time-- I want to be the one to save Hikorin.

That was the moment Yuuri decided her own fate. --Two days later, when Yuuri was transferred to LABO, Dr. Tenkawa informed her of the news.

And from there, the chapter goes as normal.

So what you wanted to buy was clothes? Look, I don't really get girl clothes.
I just want a boy's opinion. Wanna get a less biased view, that's all.

The way Mashiro looked at, spoke to, and behaved with Natsuhiko-- --made it quite obvious that she was falling in love with him.

Hey, Yuuri, what do you think about the food today?
{It's delicious~ Mashiron, you sure are getting good at cooking. You're so cute and you're good at cooking... You're like an ideal wife.}
Now that's a precious thing to say. So how about it, Yuuri? Will you marry me?

--She was able to hold a conversation without any issue. It was as if Yuuri actually existed there. Yuuri was painfully aware of just how amazing a feat that was. Just being able to hold a conversation like that would've required Mashiro to train her ability to the point that she could use empathy like it was nothing. And there was only one reason she'd go through such lengths.

(Mashiron likes... Mashiron wants to be with Hikorin so much that she...!)

From there, we move on to the next input.

...Huh? What makes you say that again?
It's just, if I don't, then Mashiron will never...
...Are you worrying yourself over Mashiro?

Yuuri nodded weakly.

The three of us were always together... so I don't think he'd notice too much of a contradiction. And besides... I've wanted those two to get along better ever since we were kids... Hikorin and Mashiron always fought back then, but they don't do that anymore, so... So I think... it's about time the two of them started getting along better.

The professor fell silent, her face clearly showing she was at a loss for words. But eventually, she sighed and spoke.

I understand how you feel... but it would probably be bad to do that too.
Why's that?
I believe that manipulating Natsuhiko's memories about you would cause serious problems in his mind.

And from then, the chapter is the same.

She thought that might not be such a bad thing. Even if she were to survive, she probably would still never make it out of LABO. As long as Natsuhiko and the others managed to escape in the end, that was probably good enough for her.

(That's right... the lie we kept telling is now coming true. That's all.)

And with this, Yuuri would disappear in both name and in substance. The curse that haunted Natsuhiko and Mashiro would slip out of existence.

(This is for the best... It wouldn't even have been strange if I actually had died long ago, anyway.)

(So these nine extra years were more like a bonus, if anything... I'm glad I was able to stay with them for a little longer, even if it was just as a phantom...)

She kept telling herself that, and when she finally readied herself--

And that's it for that chapter.

Her feelings for Natsuhiko and the others. And-- her feelings for ''her''. The girl who was truly isolated, unable to interact with anybody. As Yuuri thinks about that girl's existence, a new memory rises up from the innermost depths of her mind...

And so that's the scenes for Yuuri unlocked.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I Won't Forget: 05/29/2020, 17:09

A memory of a time shortly after Yuuri and Natsuhiko had run away from home...

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

After she had heard everything, the professor spoke to Yuuri.

Yuuri wanted to believe in those kind words. --And afterwards, the professor indeed stuck to her words and worked here and there for Yuuri's sake. According to the professor, she was apparently working with the people at the ''child consultation center'' and the ''department of social welfare''.

The professor told Yuuri that ''things might drag on until evening, so go play with Natsuhiko for a while''-- So Yuuri waited with Natsuhiko for the adults to finish talking. --The two of them talked as they sat on a park bench.

...Your mom really is nice, huh. She's even taking time off work just so she can help me out.
Yeah, I guess she's more than just smart and cool, huh.

As a result of Dr. Tenkawa's efforts, Yuuri felt that her family situation had improved. She even felt that her parents were yelling at her less.

And also... your mom's strong, too. My dad's really scary... but she was able to yell back at him without getting scared.
Yeah... I've never seen Mom that mad before.

When Dr. Tenkawa first arrived at the Kotono residence, she was like an ogre. To the point where Yuuri was frightened, even though she was the one the professor was protecting.

...But my dad said that Mom's got some weak parts too. And so he told me that I gotta protect her.

It was then that Yuuri first realized... that Natsuhiko hadn't mentioned his father up until that point.

Hey, Natsuhiko. What kind of person is your dad?
Huh...?
Your dad must be nice too.

Natsuhiko fell silent at Yuuri's question for a second-- but then he replied with a smile.

Yeah. He was nice, strong, and cool, too. He was always energetic and cheerful. He would always tell me and Mom that he loved us. I loved my dad too.
...?

Yuuri furrowed her eyebrows at his words. He sounded like he was talking about his father as if he were gone--

U-um... Now that I think about it, I've never seen your dad... Where is he...?
...Heaven.
!!
He died of sickness last year.
Ah... I... I'm sorry...

As Yuuri frantically apologized, Natsuhiko just smiled in reply.

Nah, don't worry about it. I'm strong like my dad, see? 'Cause I promised him that I wouldn't cry anymore.

Natsuhiko then showed Yuuri his left hand.

What's this...?
It's Dad's watch. I got a letter from him when I got this watch. It said not to cry no matter how tough things got. That I gotta protect those weaker than me.
Then... you said you'd protect me because you promised your dad?
Yeah... but this time I had to get Mom to protect you, though... But one day, I'll do it right...

Natsuhiko muttered as he looked at his watch. The adult-sized watch was still too big for his arm-- But Yuuri had the feeling that one day he'd grow into it and make it look good. Eventually, Natsuhiko looked at Yuuri and spoke.

...Hey, Yuuri, it's already half past 5. They're probably just about done talking. How about we head back to your house now?
Huh... b-but...
It's okay. No need to be scared. I'll be with you.
O... okay!

Yuuri mustered up the courage to answer. And then they walked to her house hand in hand. --Ten years have already passed since then. Even now, Yuuri remembers that day whenever she sees his watch. Natsuhiko was probably really sad about his father's death, but he still encouraged Yuuri. That kindness made her happier than anything else could--

Her memory of this faraway day still remains a treasure in her mind...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Level 7: 09/15/2030, 20:15

Yuuri and Dr. Tenkawa were discussing the plans for the ''next day'', that is, September 16.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

What is it?
It says '6:30 AM - 6:30 PM: Experiments in Area N'. What are we doing there?
Well, properly speaking, there's been this experiment that I've always wanted to conduct... But it suddenly became necessary to run the experiment right away, so I want your help, Yuuri.
Why now?
The number of test subjects has decreased after Yui left LABO, correct? But we still have to prove to the higher ups in LABO that we're conducting advanced experiments.
I understand. Of course I'll help. But what sort of experiment is it?
Let's see, in simple terms-- It's an experiment to 'create a consciousness', perhaps.
...?

While Yuuri blinked in confusion, the professor continued with a straight face.

Yuuri, did you know? The process through which a consciousness forms is still not well understood by modern science.
It isn't?
Logically, the consciousness seems to come forth from somewhere in the brain, correct? But no matter how thoroughly we analyze the brain, we still don't understand the mechanism through which a consciousness is born. How does a simple lump of protein produce a 'consciousness'...? Where exactly is the consciousness?
So is this an experiment to try and find the answer?
No. It's an experiment to verify the answer I've found myself.

The professor smiled boldly.

Now then, Yuuri. Before we search for the process of consciousness creation, there's something you need to know. But first of all, what exactly do you think a 'consciousness' is?
A consciousness? Hmm... that's a hard question... A mind that thinks and feels... It's what we call a spirit, right?
A spirit, huh. That's another answer. It's a philosophical problem with many answers, but at the very least, this is what I think. A consciousness is 'an accumulation of information' and its 'transformed state'. And it must be capable of 'making decisions' regarding the process of its own transformation.
Making decisions...?
That's the key. The dividing line between a simple collection of information and a complex consciousness. A simple accumulation of information won't cause a consciousness to be born. For example, a hard disk won't have a consciousness no matter how high its capacity. The information recorded on it won't transform on its own. So what if that information were to 'transform'? It would still not suffice as a consciousness. If you rewrote a hard disk's contents a thousand times, it would be your work, not the hard disk. That's not a consciousness at all. No, not even a computer program counts. Those merely follow predetermined processes. It's not as if they make their own decisions. But-- what if that information was able to decide the process of its own transformation?
Then it's no longer a simple medium. It's the same as the process that occurs in the human brain. It would be no exaggeration to say that a consciousness was born there.
I see. I think so too, but... when you say we're going to make a consciousness, what do you mean?

When Yuuri asked that question, the professor pointed at her own head.

The human brain is filled with high energy BC particles. In other words, an accumulation of information energy that is constantly transforming due to the influence of the brain. And conversely, the BC particles affect the brain too, causing impressions and senses to transform. In other words, the brain and its surrounding BC particles constantly hold a mutual effect on each other. ...Doesn't that sound similar to what I just told you?

Everything she said suddenly snapped together in Yuuri's mind.

A spirit...!?
Indeed. My thinking was that if something like a spirit were to exist, then it could possibly be the BC particles that fill the brain. Humanity has searched for proof of the spirits existence since time immemorial. And its true form was an accumulation of information energy transmitted by elementary particles. --In other words, the spirit is not just a concept. It 'physically exists'.
...!
I think there lies the answer to the age old question 'Where is the consciousness? In other words, the consciousness isn't a product of the brain... The brain is merely a storage medium, a hardware processor. The consciousness truly comes from the spirit-- that is, not the brain itself, but the accumulation of information energy that envelops it! The consciousness born from the spirit uses the brain to think and act. The answers and stimuli the brain obtains as a result are fed back into the consciousness, adding to the spirit's memories and experiences. If we can prove all of that scientifically, it could shock the entire world, couldn't it?

The professor smiled faintly. It was not the motherly smile Yuuri was used to seeing from her, but rather the smile of a pure child.

Y-you mean... A consciousness can exist without a brain? If we made a lump of high energy BC particles outside of a brain, would that become a spirit?
You're quite perceptive, Yuuri. That's what tomorrow's experiment is going to confirm. What we're doing tomorrow is this--

Miyoko began talking about the particulars of the experiment.

First, we generate and maintain a WX particle field over 500 mSv in Area N. But we don't load any information onto the WX particles whatsoever. If we do, then nothing more will appear in Area N than a simple lump of energy. Then we get you to enter Area N and continuously use BC.
BC? On whom?
Not on anybody. Just untargeted telepathy. The insulators will prevent the information energy you generate from leaving Area N. But even so, you'll keep using telepathy, raising the information energy levels in Area N... The intention is to get you to transmit all of the memories in your head as information energy.
Why do that...?
Basically, what I want to check is this: 'If you transmit all of the information energy in your brain into Area N as BC-- --would that create another copy of your spirit?'
!!

Yuuri was speechless. The professor's words were logical and consistent. But the sheer scale of what they were doing came as a surprise.

...Though by all rights, I'm not entirely sure what will happen if we do that. Even after all that effort, we might produce nothing more than a simple lump of information energy. Or perhaps it will transform after interacting with the brains of the people there like you or me. And if it becomes able to make decisions regarding its own transformation-- It may even gain its own sense of self and personally intervene with the people there. ...And if that were to happen, it would be nothing short of the birth of a consciousness and the creation of a spirit.
Another copy of my spirit...? Th-that's kinda scary...!
Ah, don't worry. If we stop the particle amplifier and allow the energy levels to decay, then that spirit should disappear.
But that might be a little sad...
...Now you're a troublesome one, aren't you? Why not help me out? It's my dearest wish.
Your dearest wish?

The professor looked with distant eyes once Yuuri asked that.

...This hypothesis on the creation of a spirit was an extension of what I wrote 16 years ago-- A paper detailing what would become the 'informational field theory'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Informational field theory

Began as a hypothesis proposed by Miyoko Tenkawa in 2014.

She composed this personal pet theory of hers based on the assumption that dark energy is information entropy. She proposed an information-energy equivalence and that information was in fact the fifth fundamental force of the universe in addition to the classical four. The aforementioned information entropy is a term used in information theory referring to the uncertainty of an event. While calculations of information entropy are certainly analogous to those of the thermodynamic sort, this hypothesis was audacious enough to shoehorn the information theory definition of entropy into an elementary particle, and was thus initially ignored.

For starters, the suggestion of information-energy equivalence is nothing else but the suggestion that information can be changed into energy. Roughly speaking, this hypothesis would not only explain the accelerating expansion of the universe, but also supernatural phenomena known from time immemorial like extrasensory perception.

The scientific community at the time laughed it off as a thought experiment like Maxwell's demon. But their laughter froze after the Andresy Witch Hunt. After the occurrence of that incident, the informational field hypothesis was extensively revisited, and came to be considered the key to solving the mysteries of BC as many scientists try to find experimental counter-evidence.

Many scientists still find it hard to accept this fifth force. Defining it officially as a fifth force would crumble the standard model of physics that had previously explained everything with four fundamental forces of nature. Thus, a huge paradigm shift could occur, redefining what common sense once thought impossible to be possible.

The day the ''informational field hypothesis'' officially becomes the ''informational field theory'' will be the day humanity opens up a door to a new world.

Tips posted:

TIP: Information entropy

Refers to the value of information contained in an event or message.

For example, when you roll a die, information entropy is at its highest if you have no idea at all what side it landed on. However, if you are given the information that it landed on an odd or even side, you narrow the possibilities down from six to three, thereby reducing information entropy. When you know precisely which side the die landed on, the information entropy is at its lowest.

In her ''informational field hypothesis'', Miyoko Tenkawa proposed that information entropy was in fact BC energy, and that the information force is a fifth fundamental force in addition to the traditional four.

As previously mentioned, information entropy is a sort of scale that measures the randomness of information, and is not something that can be applied to a single particle on its own. It requires an observer. But Miyoko Tenkawa's proposition shattered that dogma. A subset of humans known as Communicators are now born into this world, and by their observation of the world and their thought processes, they generate ''b particles'' full of information and free from any electromagnetic force, filling this world, this universe.

This can only mean that the accelerating expansion of the universe is the result of humans. In that case, have Communicators existed since ancient times? What is the reality of b particles in the first place? Why are they so stable? The ''informational field hypothesis'' provided clues for explaining ESP, the accelerating expansion of the universe, and the collective unconscious, but at the same time, it brought about more problems. This is why the ''informational field hypothesis'' remained a hypothesis for such a long time.

In this universe, in addition to the four fundamental forces of gravity, electromagnetism, weak, and strong, there exists a fifth fundamental force, 'information'. And human mental activity is just another form of information. In that case, it's believable that an accumulation of information energy could hold a consciousness, isn't it? In other words, could we generate an informational energy field with a sense of self-- a 'self-aware informational field'...!? That's what I had thought in my youth. But I couldn't verify it at the time. But after many long years, the capability of the WX particle amplifier has improved. We are now able to maintain a low-risk energy level of around 500 mSv for extended periods of time. And we have you, Yuuri, an extraordinary Communicator... With both you and the amplifier, we can finally conduct the experiment. So just this once, please? Not an experiment to research lifespan extensions or elucidate BC, but an experiment I want to do myself... We might come in contact with a universal truth for all we know. My spirit as a scientist compels me.

The professor tapered her lips in a pout. Yuuri felt that the professor was acting different from usual, in several ways.

U-um, Professor... did something happen?
...Natsuhiko shouted at me today. I cried a little.
Huh!?
Haah, he said 'How do you expect me to listen to everything you say when you're never around to say it'. I'm always working hard for his sake, yet he doesn't know a thing about it...
Th-that's so mean of Hikorin! Okay. I'll help out with any experiment or whatever you want! I'm always on your side, professor!
Thank you, Yuuri. Now that Yui's left the nest, you're my only ally.

The professor hugged Yuuri tightly. Yuuri suddenly realized something as those arms remained wrapped around her.

Ah, but... Professor, I just realized something.
What is it?
For tomorrow's experiment, we'll be generating a 500 mSv WX particle field in Area N, right? Then won't there be an 'empty spirit' in Area N until I use BC?
Well, it's somewhat of a stretch, but perhaps. The problem is if an empty spirit can truly be called a 'spirit', though. In short, a lump of information energy without memory or consciousness would just drift through the air.
So when I pour information energy into the empty spirit, it'll give birth to a consciousness... Hmm... I feel like there's some sort of major secret hiding there somewhere...
Oh my, have you grown an interest in physics?
Yes, I am your daughter after all, Professor.
Now that's an awfully cute thing to say.

Yuuri chuckled as the professor playfully nudged her forehead.

Well, maybe we'll find out during tomorrow's experiment. So let's prepare for tomorrow by sleeping early tonight.
Okay!

As Yuuri answered thusly, she completely forgot about that ''secret''. --It wasn't until long after that she had remembered. It was when she began walking around LABO after meeting Watase and Kazami.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

...Would it be possible to enter Area N and put out the fires?
Are you out of your mind!? That's way too dangerous! Even if you could put out the fires, you wouldn't be able to protect yourself from getting exposed to the lethal radiation levels in there.
You're right! Dammit...!

And then Watase brought his Procyon close to the gate--

...Wha!?

only for the reading to start shooting up astronomically.

'2406 mSv'!?
It almost went up by a thousand all at once--!
It's too dangerous! Fall back!!
Y-yeah!

The group frantically ran away from the door. Just then, the Procyon's reading went back to normal.

Even if we could get past the gate, we'd have to face all of that...!
...If the gate's made of lead, then it should be able to completely block off radiation... So perhaps the inner walls and ceiling are damaged.

When Yuuri heard that, she secretly thought to herself.

(The WX particles in Area N are crossing through the BC insulators and are slowly leaking out... So does that mean that the ''empty spirit'' is leaking out of Area N and drifting about inside LABO?)

WX particles over 1000 mSv were currently spreading through the facility. So perhaps they were all walking around inside of the empty spirit.

(And what happens if we do that...? Will the spirit exert some sort of influence on us?)

If Yuuri used BC, then it was natural to assume that the empty spirit would receive the information energy as well. In which case, a consciousness would be born--

(... No, it wouldn't be that easy, would it? That experiment was supposed to have taken hours.)

And besides, it wasn't conceivable that a consciousness born like that could help her in any way. After all, it would just be a copy of Yuuri's spirit. Once Yuuri had thought about all of that, Kazami spoke up.

Be that as it may, we've now concluded our search of the inner ring, Captain. Let's assist with the search of the outer ring.
(That's right. I should be worrying about surviving rather than trivial things like that...!)

With that thought in mind, Yuuri decided to stop thinking about the empty spirit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Atatakai Yume: A Sweet Dream: 08/01/2020, 12:30

There was something Yuuri had been looking forward to now that she was a 2nd grader in elementary school. And that was summer break. Yuuri had been looking forward to playing with Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and the other kids a whole lot. And the day had finally come.

I wonder if Natsuhiko and Mashiro are there? ...What if they aren't? Should I read a book...?

Those were the anxieties she felt as she walked.

Hello, Natsuhiko, Mashiro.
Ah, it's Yuuri.
Huh? Dont'cha have to go to elementary school?
Nope. It's already summer break. So let's all play together every day!
I see! Okay, then let's set up a summer break plan! If we don't make a plan, then summer will be over before you know it.
Ah, that sounds good. You have any good ideas, Natsuhiko?
Hmm, let's see...

Natsuhiko folded his arms, and soon enough his eyes widened.

I know! Let's have a contest to see who's the best at tops in Rokumei City!
At tops?
Mm! You mean spinning tops!?
What!? Y-you know about them, Mashiro!?
Of course. I mean, they're just spinning tops.
Mmph...
So Natsuhiko, how's the contest going to work?
We gather all the best top spinners in town and hold a huge event. How's that? Cool, huh!?
Yeah! That's so cool, Natsuhiko!

Yuuri clapped. But Mashiro just sneered.

Hmmph. Natsuhiko's idea is kind of a letdown.
What was that!? Fine, let's hear your big idea then.
Awwwrighty! Listen and be amazed! We'll hold... A contest to see who's the best at pogs in Rokumei City!
You just ripped off my idea!
Ah, but that sounds nice and cute too. Mashiro, you really are a girl, huh.
Eheheh~
Hmph! That's not cool at all! My idea's cooler!
What? Mine's cooler!
Mine is!
Mine is!
Grr...!
Grr...!

The two of them glared at each other threateningly. An everyday occurrence.

Stop fighting, you two... Geez, just as I was thinking you two were getting along better...
Mashiro started it...
No~ Natsuhiko started it~
M-mmm...

Neither Natsuhiko nor Mashiro would yield. Yuuri's shoulders slumped. There was something of a rivalry between the two.

(At this rate, my summer break might go to waste. What do we do...? ... Oh, I know.) How about you two call each other by nicknames? Maybe that will shorten the distance between you two.
Nicknames, like what?
Hmm, like~...

Yuuri fell silent for a while. She wanted to give them nicknames, but she couldn't think of any. After she thought for a while, a flash of inspiration struck Yuuri's mind.

Ah! I... I know! How about 'Hikorin' and 'Mashiron'?
Huh~!? Hikorin~~~...?
What, you don't like it, Natsuhiko?
No, it's not that I don't like it, but... Hikorin and Mashiron... Ugh, eww~...
Yuuri gave you that nickname, so no complaining! It's cute. Right, Natsuhiko?
If it's so cute, then why didn't you call me Hikorin just now...?
Aah...!

And with that, Natsuhiko and Mashiro fell silent. Yuuri chuckled as she watched them acting like that.

(Yup. They're not fighting anymore, so it's better this way.)

She had a feeling a few things didn't go quite right, but she decided it was good enough. She really did want Mashiro and Natsuhiko to call each other by nicknames. And Yuuri did like the nicknames ''Hikorin'' and ''Mashiron''. But she figured that beggars couldn't be choosers.

(They'll come around some day. I'm sure they will...)

That wish alone was enough for Yuuri. Ever since then-- Yuuri used every opportunity she had to call them Mashiron and Hikorin. Because she thought that they'd all get along better if she did. But no matter how much time passed, Natsuhiko and Mashiro's rivalry never changed--

Hey Hikorin, why don't you call Mashiro 'Mashiron'?
...Well, it's kinda embarrassing.
Huh~? Wh-what about you, Mashiron?
...N-no comment.
Ugh~... But you two don't mind when I call you those names~...
That's because you're you, Yuuri. You're like an older sister to us.
Yeah, what Natsuhiko said.
Why do you only agree with each other at times like these...? Geez...

Yuuri smiled wryly, but she didn't feel bad about it. After all, she got the feeling that Natsuhiko and Mashiro were starting to get along just a little bit better-- And she also felt the three of them getting closer.

(... I wish the three of us could always, always stay together, even after we're all grown up. Would it be weird to keep calling them by their nicknames even after we're grown up...?)

As she pondered that question, Yuuri patted Natsuhiko and Mashiro on the head. Yuuri thought they looked so cute when they were embarrassed like that. --In the end, only Yuuri ever used those nicknames-- But Yuuri felt like that was the time that Mashiro started to be a nickname wizard. Mashiro would give nicknames to those she wanted to be friends with. But Yuuri was the only exception. Mashiro only called her by her name since they were ''already friends''. She was both happy and proud with that policy of hers.

--And as for Yuuri herself-- Even ten years later to this day, she still calls them by their nicknames. As she prays for the two of them to become even closer...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kokoro: Mind: 07/07/2029, 22:47

The anniversary of Yuuri's death. It was decided that Yuuri had died on that day in 2021. ...And every year when July 7th rolled in, there was a girl who was born, a girl who disappeared.

The phantom that Natsuhiko perceived ever since that day-- She was born out of sight, and vanished out of sight in the same way. July 7 had become both her birthday, and the anniversary of her death.

Dr. Tenkawa led Yuuri to the neuroscience laboratory.

--It's time for your yearly date, huh, Yuuri.
Date...? Professor, you call it that every year, but... All I'm doing is updating Hikorin's memories, aren't I?
I'm just joking. Okay, I'll step out for a little bit. Call me if anything happens.
Yes, thank you.

The professor nodded and left the room. Yuuri then looked at Natsuhiko.

There was Natsuhiko, put to sleep by drugs. --Once each year, Yuuri would meet him again like this. But he wasn't the only one she'd meet. She'd see the Mashiro in his memories-- As well as her own other self.

How was your year...?

Yuuri muttered that and dove into his mind.

That night, Natsuhiko had his usual book chat with the ''phantom'' over a cup of milk.

Umm, today, I read a mysterious novel. It was the story of someone who made their own world in their mind, and someone who dived into their mind and invaded that world.
Dive? You mean like reading a mind with empathy?
Perhaps something like that. The terminology used was different since it was written before the Grand Discovery. But it's really interesting. It's kind of a warm story.

--The phantom turned to Natsuhiko and said that. Yuuri thought to herself as she watched.

(You were there for Hikorin again this year, huh... Thank you. Good work.)

Yuuri thanked her other self from the bottom of her heart. --But not even Yuuri was exactly sure what her phantom was. According to the professor, the phantom was a hallucination caused by mental dysfunction. Yuuri recalled the explanation she had once heard.

He's constantly forming a believable phantom based off of the information he has on you in his memory. He's making judgment calls like 'This is what Yuuri would say', or 'This is how Yuuri would act'.

The professor was right. There was not much difference between the real Yuuri and the phantom. Which might have been a result of these ''regular checkups''. During each of these regular checkups, Yuuri would fill in Natsuhiko's memories with the knowledge she had gained that year, including her impressions on books she had read.

(... She's no longer just a hallucination, huh? This girl... is my ''clone''.)

And for 365 days a year, she would stay beside Natsuhiko in the real Yuuri's stead. The phantom was probably the more ''real'' Yuuri in Natsuhiko's eyes. ...With that thought in mind, Yuuri watched a year's worth of memories-- And at the end, she renewed the information relating to herself.

But... Yuuri thought to herself.

(When I renew Hikorin's memories, the clone that worked so hard is reborn as a new clone... So is what I'm doing... erasing an old me and replacing her with a new one?)

Perhaps that was the case. Perhaps not. At the end of the day, not even Yuuri understood what was going on inside Natsuhiko's brain. But in any case, she had already erased and rebirthed that phantom several times. And when she thought about it like that, it was somehow heartrending.

(If Hikorin one day realizes that the phantom is just a phantom... She might disappear for real. That just seems... kind of sad.)

--She wanted to at least leave proof that the phantom had existed, but that would probably be difficult. For that girl had not a single effect on the world outside of Natsuhiko's mind.

(... I wonder if I can come up with a way... Like, what if I had the other me create something physical... And then I created the same thing here in LABO... And then I'd have the professor deliver it?)

That could perhaps somewhat count as a reminder that the phantom had existed.

(Yeah, that could be a good idea. Then what should we make...?)

Yuuri thought for a while, but she couldn't come up with an answer on the spot. She decided to make it her homework for the next yearly checkup.

Tips posted:

TIP: Yuuri Kotono

Natsuhiko's childhood friend.

Yuuri was originally a Rank C Aptitude Communicator, but nine years ago, she was exposed to large doses of WX particles in the incident following Subject N's attempted escape, causing Yuuri to change into a Rank S Aptitude, Ability Level 6 Communicator. After she was rescued from the fire, she was confined in LABO.

In exchange for allowing Natsuhiko to live in society as a special observation target for LABO, Yuuri was made legally dead and forced to cooperate in research confined in LABO. When Natsuhiko fell into a state of stupefaction in response to the news of Yuuri's alleged death, Yuuri rewrote his memories, causing him to create a phantom of her.

While Miyoko accommodated her to the best of her ability, there were still many hardships about life confined in LABO. Yuuri's biggest comfort was how she was allowed to see Natsuhiko but once a year. A yearly rendezvous with a boy who was drugged to sleep under the pretext of a yearly checkup on Tanabata... And just like the yearly meetings of Orihime and Hikoboshi, each of Yuuri's meetings with Natsuhiko was but an ephemeral moment in time. Regardless, those meetings seemed to be enough to support her heart for all those nine years.

Though Watase's terrorist attack served as an opportunity for her to be saved by Natsuhiko, they are now spending their days escaping pursuers from Q. But even in those circumstances, she is happy to be by Natsuhiko's side, and she still smiles calmly today.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Abstract Nonsense: 06/18/2017, 10:27

So, we're about to move on to the final part of the Xtend Episode with Natsuhiko's scenes, but before that, I think this is a good time to take a look at something different. At one point, thanks to Cyouni in the thread, I managed to extract the game's source files, finding all the music, graphics, voiceovers and sound effects, and while I didn't particularly go over the voiceovers or sound effects, I did find several interesting things in the music and graphics parts. First, the music archive has several tracks I don't recognize at all (though I did remember one of the nine), so let's go through them in order. If you know where some of these things I assume went unused actually did get used, please let me know.

Extra Track 01

This sounds like a slower variant on ''Helper / Theme of Mashiro'' in the beginning. Now, I have no idea if these tracks are actually used and I somehow just don't remember hearing them or if they're actually legitimately unused, so really, this could be anything, but if I had to guess, I would say that this could have been intended to play during ''BOYS AND GIRLS'', Mashiro's epilogue scene. It would have fit in pretty well, I'd say.

Extra Track 02

I might just be trying too hard to match these to tracks that definitely got used, but this one sounds like it could match up with ''Achiever / Theme of Ena'', and going with the previous one, could have been intended for playing during ''Unforgettable'', Ena's epilogue scene.

Extra Track 03 - Anime Theme from INVOKE

OK, this is the one I actually remember. This one plays back in Route Before, during the chapter ''INVOKE''. When the line ''As soon as Mashiro changed the channel, the opening theme to a children's anime began playing.'' shows up, this track plays.

Extra Track 04

A tension theme of sorts. This I could imagine fitting in perfectly with a trailer of some sort.

Extra Track 05

A very bombastic track. Sounds like it could be a lead-in for some sort of news report, but honestly, I'm just making wild-rear end guesses at this point.

Extra Track 06

A mellow, laid back track. It sounds similar to ''Calm Days of Rokumei City'' to me.

Extra Track 07

Another mellow track. I'm not sure how to place this one at all.

Extra Track 08 - Theme of Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND

This is one I just found out thanks to some luck in my research. I found a trailer for Root Double on Youtube, and this trailer also advertised the soundtrack CD and the Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND radio drama that came with the Limited Edition version of the original game that came out for the XBox 360, and when it's showing the Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND part, this plays.

Also, if somebody speaks Japanese and could translate the Japanese bits in the track listing at VGMDB that I linked there, that would be great. I think these nine tracks (plus one short jingle I didn't upload) are represented by the ten Japanese-titled tracks on Disc 2.

Extra Track 09

Finally, we have a piano track. This also doesn't sound like anything familiar to me, so this could have been anything.

So, that's it for the music, now, on to the graphics.

Now, the thing with the graphics is that they're by and large one of three things. One, they're backgrounds. Two, they're sprites. Three, they're CGs. However, there's only a scant few graphics that are a combination of sprites and backgrounds, and I have no idea why. I recognize these scenes - the first three are from ''THE STRANGER'', when Miyoko confronts Natsuhiko about Salyu living in the Tenkawa household from now on. The last one is from ''SALYU - SEPTEMBER 16''.

This graphic is still in the game - you can also see this one in the trailer I posted up above. This is advertising the original release of Root Double for the XBox 360 back in 2012. No idea why this is still here.

This is just because I think it's interesting - the full graphics for Ukita's and Miyoko's LABO ID cards. One thing that jumps out at me is how many employees this place really has, judging by Ukita's staff ID number.

This is an example of something that is generally present in the graphics - there's a whole lot of redundancy. So here, in Ena's case, every single pose she has exists in clean form with glasses, in messed up form with glasses, in clean form without glasses, and in messed up form without glasses. I have to be honest, I didn't actually check this, but I'm pretty sure that the ''clean form without glasses'' and ''messed up form with glasses'' graphics never get used in game.

These five CGs of blood-splattered dead bodies all exist in the game files with this strange other color scheme as well. Was this some sort of censorship thing for Japan? I know there's a bit of a thing there with blood - which is why Danganronpa games have pink as the blood color, that got them a lower age rating - but this doesn't exist for the CGs that are shown at the normal end for Route After, like the dead Jun or Ukita. It might have been intended to signify some sort of emotional impact for the character seeing these scenes. Not sure.

In ''wait, they actually did that?'' news, did you notice at all that there were two different CGs for Ukita holding a gun? I don't even know if one of these didn't actually go unused, so it could have been nobody noticed because it actually didn't happen! Not even the CG gallery has the first of these two CGs.

Another interesting redundancy thing - absolutely every single sprite in the game exists in three different sizes for purposes of displaying distances characters have to each other and for displaying larger groups all at once.

Now, do you remember this type of sprite for Subject N? The one with her arms outstretched towards the main character? Well, there exists a variant for each one of those, and it sure is something...

...just look at that! Man, I don't know why this didn't show up at any point, this looks awesome! I guess they figured it looked too fantasy-like.

A very strange redundancy here - every single sprite of Natsuhiko's has a version without glasses. I don't remember a single instance of Natsuhiko ever not wearing glasses.

Another interesting redundancy - every sprite that has to do with the protection suits exists six times, one for each rescue squad member, and one with a blank armband, probably for template purposes. So here we have Jun in her protection suit, pointing a gun at somebody.

These three characters are found at the end of the files. I can only assume they're from some other game and were put into the game for purposes of testing the engine before any art assets were ready yet. Either that or I've really missed something. And finally, I've saved the absolute best for last...

...maliced Salyu. I can only assume that this didn't make the cut because the developers realized that a maliced Salyu would simply turn into an unstoppable wrecking machine, laying waste to everything that stands in her way, then rescuing Natsuhiko, Mashiro and Salyu by cleaving through the bulkhead with just the fire axe and defeating the entirety of Security Sector 6 with ease.

Anyway, that's all the interesting stuff I found in the game files. Next time, we'll get into Natsuhiko's scenes for the Xtend Episode and finally finish this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The second Ukita CG is prob for censorship as well. Notice how the gun's in shadow? That's a technique they use to make scenes be more accpted by the review boards. Yeah, it's silly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

The second Ukita CG is prob for censorship as well. Notice how the gun's in shadow? That's a technique they use to make scenes be more accpted by the review boards. Yeah, it's silly.

Well I'll be damned. I instantly just jumped to the conclusion that since there was a grey-silver gun and a black gun, that those two CGs were for those two guns. I didn't even notice that they were actually the same shape.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
drat, that's a lot of cool stuff that was unseen.

My thought on the sprite+background ones are due to the fuzzing of one or more of the component parts.

The other young kid sprites are likely the other childhood friends that became irrelevant.

The alt colour death scenes might questionably be something that was supposed to be shifted into and out quickly on body discovery. Sort of a shock thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yuuri's Smile: 08/15/2020, 13:35

So, finally, we've made it to Natsuhiko's scenes. We only have five here, but they're all new. The first four have the sign that we unlock something in them, but there's no Senses inputs - it only means that we have to go through all four before we unlock the last one. So let's get to it.

The first summer break since Natsuhiko had met Yuuri-- He and the others had run around town each day trying to solve the mysteries of Rokumei City's Seven Wonders. That day, Natsuhiko and Yuuri headed to the ''secret base'' on the outskirts of the city to hammer out their Seven Wonders solution mission.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Natsuhiko raised his voice as he and Yuuri entered the secret base. But nobody answered. Not a single one of their friends who gathered here was present.

...Wait, what? That's odd. How come nobody's here?
Yeah, everyone was here yesterday...
Mashiro! Richio! Sugizo! Maruichi!
Himecchi? Aipon? Renren?

They tried calling out their friends' nicknames, but there was still no answer. And then, Yuuri suddenly spoke up as if she had remembered something.

Oh... that's right. Today's Obon.
Obon?
Apparently, it's the day you go out to the country to visit your grandparents and stuff.
Ah, that's right. Mashiro mentioned that too... She said she was going to her grandpa's house in Hokkaido today.

Natsuhiko didn't have any grandparents he had to visit, so he wasn't that interested in Obon.

...Now that I think about it, Himecchi and the others said they were going to the country for summer break. So that must've started today~
Guess it's the same with Richio and the other guys... Tch, how rude. They care more about some dumb old countryside than our solution mission.

Natsuhiko puffed his cheeks in frustration. Yuuri spoke up, a little bothered.

Then I guess it's just us two today, huh? What do we do, Hikorin? Should we leave the solution mission for when everyone gets back?
Nah. Let's just do it by ourselves. Even without Mashiro and the others around, the two of us alone are more than enough.
Huh, r-really?
Well, Yuuri, you're like an older sister to us, and you read a lot of books, so you must be smart. With your brains and my muscle, I'm sure we can do anything.
Th-that's the first time anyone's ever told me that...! Okay, I'm pumped up now! Let's work hard on that solution mission, Hikorin!
Yeah!

The two of them raised their fists into the air as they shouted.

That's the one that goes 'a Communicator who uses BC without knowing the proper way will become a mindbroken monster', right? They even say that those monsters are captured by security department forces.
But if that's the case, then some of those monsters gotta be around somewhere before the security department catches them.

Natsuhiko said that as he took a map out of his pocket. The two children huddled together to look at it.

If you were a monster... where do you think you'd be in this city, Yuuri?
Hmm, let's see... If I were a monster, I'd be somewhere dark and scary, maybe? Maybe like that ruined hospital that you, me, and Mashiron went to the other day.
I guess that's gotta be the place, huh. Even Mashiro got scared there. Okay, let's try going there!
Yeah!

And with that, they headed for the ruined hospital.

Natsuhiko and Yuuri walked in.

D-do you think there are monsters here too and not just ghosts...?
It'd be too spooky if there are...
But it's okay. If a monster comes out, then I'd knock 'em out cold with my finishing punch.
Y-yeah...

Natsuhiko came close to the frightened Yuuri as if to protect her. And suddenly, Yuuri gasped.

Ah! H-Hikorin! Somebody's there!
What!?

Natsuhiko readied himself, thinking that a monster had appeared.

Wah! D-don't startle me like that... Wh-who are you guys?
Wh-who are -you-!? What are you doing here?
Who am -I-? Man, you're one cheeky kid. I came to scope this place out for an upcoming neighborhood association test of courage. I'm not suspicious or anything.
Oh, is that all... I'm sorry for suspecting you. Miss.
Whoa, I thought you were cheeky, but you're actually kinda well mannered for a kid, huh~? I can appreciate that. By the way, what is it you kids are doing here? You kids on a test of courage too?
No, not that--
We're searching for monsters... Have you seen any monsters here, Miss?
Monsters? Ah, you mean like the ones from Rokumei City's Seven Wonders, eh?
Yes, those.
Nah, haven't seen any. I've made a once around of this place, but haven't seen anything like monsters.
I-I see... Don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved...
Hmm, guess we missed the mark, huh.

The girl smiled wryly when Natsuhiko's shoulders drooped.

No need to feel so down. But why were you lookin' for monsters anyway?
We're trying to solve the Seven Wonders. We're on a mission to solve them with our friends.
Hmm, that sounds kinda fun, huh?
It is fun. Want to join?
Hmm~... I kinda do, but Daddy said to be back by 3, so I gotta go back soon.
Aw, too bad.
That's a pity... I thought we made a new friend...
Well, just ask next time we meet. Bye.

And with that, the girl left the ruined hospital. Natsuhiko and Yuuri spoke with each other.

Looks like there aren't any monsters here, huh.
Let's get out of here too... It's scary in here...
I-I'm not scared, but yeah, let's leave.

And with that, they left the ruined hospital.

Hmm, if we had some sort of hint...

The two of them walked aimlessly around town.

From the grounds, they heard a voice--

???: --Seriously? You're really a monster, aren't you!?

That was what the voice said.

!

Natsuhiko and Yuuri quickly hid themselves out of surprise. And they heard more voices coming from the grounds.

???: You broke 7 out of the 9 records during the rescue exam, right? And if that weren't enough of a surprise, you broke even more now?
???: That's why he's no longer human. He's a monster, a monster I tell ya.
???: Look, guys. Don't treat someone like a monster just because of something as trivial as that. Besides, Dojima, you beat me in pushups and Hiyama, you came out on top in one-legged balance, right? So it's nothing really out of the norm.
???: The hell it isn't! You trying to make us feel better is only pissing me off.
???: Just admit how you're not human already. What planet did you come from?
???: Oh come on...

--That was the conversation they heard. Natsuhiko and Yuuri looked at each other in astonishment.

A-a monster...? There's a monster in the fire station?
In a place like that...?

As they spoke, they heard a voice again.

???: Anyway, let's just drop the stupid chitchat. The commander's gonna yell at us.

He was a young man with scary-looking eyes.

I-is it him...?
L-let's go find out, Hikorin...

They approached the man after saying that.

E-excuse me, sir.
Hmm? What's up, kids? Need me for anything?
Uh, um...
Mister, are you a monster?
Wh-whaaa!?

The man widened his eyes and raised his voice hysterically.

Wait a second, what makes you say that?
Well, those other guys said so earlier. They said you were a monster, or that you came from another planet.
Tch, drat Dojima and Hiyama...! Listen, kids. I'm not a monster or an alien or anything like that. I'm just a average rescue worker.
But your eyes look scary...
Lay off. I was born this way. Heck, what do my eyes even have to do with anything? Anyway, there's no such thing as monsters. You shouldn't really call people that either, you hear?
Yes sir.
...Yes sir...

The man shook his head in frustration and headed for the grounds. Natsuhiko and Yuuri took a deep breath.

...He says there's no such thing as monsters. He doesn't know about Rokumei City's Seven Wonders, does he?
Guess not. Should we have told him?
Nah. He's kinda scary anyway. Anyway, where else do you think a monster could be?
Hmm... well, the monsters we're looking for used to be Communicators, so... maybe somewhere relating to BC...?
Somewhere relating to BC--

Natsuhiko took out his map again. Yuuri then pointed somewhere out on the map and spoke up.

Here! The PRC!
Ah, that BC research center, huh? That place is suspicious!
Let's go there, Hikorin!

The kids left the fire station together.

Hmm... We can't get in, huh... Should we try another day?
I guess. We know this place is suspicious now, so I guess that's enough for today. Let's bring Mashiro and the others here another day, I guess.
Yeah!

And with that, Natsuhiko and Yuuri walked off. And then they heard a voice.

???: Um, excuse me...?
Huh?

Can we help you, Miss?
Have you seen a small girl around here? She's my little sister. We were together just a while ago, but we got separated... She's this cute girl around your age, with long hair...
A girl? Maybe the girl we saw at the hospital?
But that girl was quite older than us, wasn't she?
Hmm, then I don't know... All the girls I know are off in the countryside.
I see... Then please tell me if you do see her.

The young lady staggered away on unsteady feet that made the two children worry.

...Hmm, I'm kinda worried.
Hikorin, why don't we help look for that girl too?
You're right. The solution mission's important, but so's helping others.

And with that, the two of them set off.

The only hint they had was that she was a long-haired girl around their age.

But they didn't see any girl like that there either. Eventually the sun started to set. But Natsuhiko and Yuuri didn't give up their search. And in the end, when they visited the park-- They finally found a girl who matched the description.

It's getting dark... I'm scared...
Ah! Hikorin, isn't that the girl?
Yeah! That's gotta be her!
Ah... but how do we tell her sister?
W-with BC?
Huh? But I can't use telepathy yet, remember?
Me neither... What do we do...?

As they spoke, they saw a familiar person by the park entrance.

Perfect! Let's go, Hikorin!

The two of them nodded and ran off to her.

Miss!!
Oh, you kids!?
We found the girl you're looking for! Look, she's over there!
Ah... N-Nagisa!

The young lady said that name and immediately ran over to that girl. The girl noticed her older sister and spoke up too.

Nagisa, I was so worried! Where did you go!?
I'm sorry~ I saw a helicopter flying, so I went chasing after it and got lost...
Geez! Don't go off without telling me again, okay?
Okay...

The sisters hugged each other after that. Natsuhiko and Yuuri smiled as they watched.

Good, case closed.
Yeah. I'm so glad~
Now then, it's getting dark, so how about we head home too?
Huh? But shouldn't we say something to them?
After you do a good deed, you leave without saying anything. It's cooler that way.
R-really? Then let's go with that.

And with that, Natsuhiko and Yuuri left the park.

They walked hand in hand under the starlight.

--Yuuri, today was a good day, wasn't it? We advanced our mission and helped people too.
You're right. Our solution mission was pretty good even with just the two of us, huh?
Let's work hard on our solution mission again tomorrow!
Yeah!

Yuuri said that with a smile. Seeing her pure, bright smile made Natsuhiko kind of happy too, so he smiled back. --Summer break wasn't over yet. Their adventure would continue tomorrow, and the next day too. Each of those precious memories would be etched into Natsuhiko's mind. Along with Yuuri's smile...

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Good job, Colors.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's cute, but they're really pushing how everyone knew each other at one point.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

That's cute, but they're really pushing how everyone knew each other at one point.

To be fair, it's not too much of a stretch to say that everyone met each other at some point. That point being the same day is kind of a stretch, but eh. Most of our main group runs in the same circle due to being a Communicator or being connected to one - Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro and Kazami/Nagisa are all Communicators, and Jun is connected to the group via Kazami and Nagisa. Birds of a feather flock together, and there's not a lot of Communicators out there period. Ukita is connected to the group via Miyoko and therefore Natsuhiko. Watase and Ena are the odd ones out in this case.

And it's not like anybody really actively remembers these events. Nobody really recognized anybody based on these events.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That reminds me, did Jun ever figure out that Watase was the one who saved her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah.

TheMcD posted:

Heart and pain: 09/16/2030, 17:25

[...]

...I just had a dream.
You dreamt? You mean when you were passed out?
Well, I dunno, really... Maybe it was a little earlier than that.

Jun said that uncertainly. Watase was still curious, but he decided to ask a different question.

...What was the dream about?
It was from when I was a kid...

Watase gasped when he heard that.

Wait, you mean...
Hey, Captain... now I finally figured it out.

Don't you remember? You carried me out of that room and got me to safety...

Watase silently nodded in response to Jun's whispers.

...Why didn't you say anything?
How could I? I'm no longer the hero you think I am.
...That's not true.

Jun then spoke to Watase as if to break herself free of her sorrow.

You worked your hardest to save everyone's lives, didn't you? You're still the hero I admired even now.

[...]

• Locked thread