Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Cyouni posted:

Then suffice it to say that just like Route A, there is a significant amount of stuff after the credits.

Whatever you're referring to isn't in the video posted, so my point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Cyouni means chapters. There will be chapters after the credits. As in things I am yet to post. They will contain, for instance, who the guy that shot Mashiro was. No points for guessing it, by the way.

My point is that the whole route seemed to do nothing but give background info on the kids and make BC weirder. It didn't need to be its own route. If they wanted to give background info this way, they could have cut between Watase in LABO and Natsuhiko before LABO. I know this because this route already had those cuts! We could have replaced Natsuhiko's time-traveling perspective with just the player's time-traveling perspective, and they could have eased back on Yuuri weirdness to make her reveal as a hallucination more of a surprise.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: Or rather, let's ask this question - what questions about Route After were you expecting to be answered in this route? Because there's a fair amount.

1. What's the deal with Yuuri? (Amazingly, it turned out that BOTH "ghost" and "two Yuuris" were correct, and yet neither explains the Yuuri from Watase's route.)
2. What's the deal with Ukita? (He was - to some people anyway, myself included - a sketchy character. Unless Natsuhiko's route not revealing anything is meant to signify that there's nothing to reveal, but that's a bit of a leap.)
3. What were the kids doing in LABO? (Not why were they there, but what did they DO. Basically the amalgam of little questions like how Salyu survived diving into fire, what the message on the chalkboard was about, what happened to the AD, etc.)
4. Who set the bombs? (I guess partial credit for answering the timing of the bombs being set, sort of, but it wasn't any of Watase's Terror Team.)

And probably others I just have forgotten because I haven't gone back and re-read Watase's route.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Every time they mention PRC I think of China.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll put the LP at 6 just because I am comparing it to RPG Maker vampire shenanigans (8) and weird knockoff Indiana Jones adventure games (7).

8 - Kazami Tachibana: Confident, strong, rational, but with a tender side.
7 - Jun Moribe: Best Buddy Jun is only hampered by rage virus.
6 - Watase Kasasagi: Actually does things as the protagonist, seemingly has a decent backstory as terrorist, amnesia is still a crappy plot device.
5 - Ena Tsubakiyama: Does nothing in Before except dump exposition, but at least had some good moments in After.
4 - Louise Yui Sannomiya: I kept waiting for the plot twist that she's a robot.
3 - Yuuri Kotono: She is the worst kind of mystery, but at least she wasn't actively harmful like...
2 - Mashiro Toba: Oh my god why are the stupidest characters always the ones driving the action? Can she just stop?
1 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa: Mashiro drives the action because Natsuhiko is too bland and boring - but of course super talented with new powers as the plot demands - to be an actual protagonist.
0 - Keiji Ukita: If he had died in the car accident, literally everyone would have been better off.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't wait for the dolphin cryptographer to have to hack Watase's brain.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that. That wasn't the full answer to "where is Salyu from". We know more than that.

She's from the future because she's a robot, duh.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dan, I love the theorycrafting but please get some sleep.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

When they reveal the "Monster" to be Nagisa I'm going to be SO loving smug about it, none of you have any idea. The procyon will register lethal levels of smug particles coming from me and I'll get thrown into the smug reactor.

If it's somehow not Nagisa I'll really noticably not say anything about it

What if it's Nagisa but voiced by Cam Clarke?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

No wonder so much of this game makes no sense, it's actually a Tarantino film! The briefcase is full of AD!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have the perfect solution.

First, kill Ukita. Literally everyone is better off.

Then, frame Natsuhiko. Memory manipulation could be involved, or it could just be the classic "smoking gun has your fingerprints, you'll be convicted no matter what" setup. Have the murder happen at LABO to create negative association in Natsuhiko's mind.

Then, have Yuuri take the fall for Natsuhiko in an act of loving self-sacrifice. She goes to "prison" for it which is why she isn't around. Hell, the yearly visits could be actual visits and not just the druggings and poo poo.

Set all that up in Natsuhiko's mind (and kill Ukita so he doesn't bump into the kid) and bam, you've got a Natsuhiko that is accepting of Yuuri being gone, avoids LABO, and doesn't know LABO's secret.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Q is actually Q from Star Trek.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ukita did everything wrong.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hail Hydra Q

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Forgive my stilted typing, I'm trying to do an effort post with one arm.

SSNeoman posted:

The more interesting implication here is that Q is actually run by a Communicator, which tbh is what I was expecting. Ukita's mind is probably warped by her as well. Course I have no idea how he managed to get her in and out of the facility, but details I suppose. She certainly got out, that faint floral smell was there when he talked to Watase.

No he didn't. She edited memories, but all the edits took place in the flower-scented room.

So here is my speculation:

1. Q isn't behind Ukita; he got memory-manipulated into this by N. Yuuri was expecting the real Q to help her escape, but Watase being with fake-Q had no idea about the plan. Ukita did everything wrong.
2. Ena is with real-Q and was working with Tenkawa to free Yuuri. Somehow she will have retinal access to Area Zero, maybe some Academy staff work secretly for LABO as spies/observers.
3. Dead girl by lift is false memory just like dead Yuuri was for Watase, and N is still alive.
4. N and Salyu will have climactic confrontation because Salyu has no emotion. Thus cementing Natsuhiko as most do-nothing protagonist.
5. Watase will sacrifice himself to get rid of bomb somehow.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Watase is a better protagonist than Natsuhiko, and Yuuri is just a ghost after all.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Watase

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It's not our fault Natsuhiko is the worst so-called protagonist.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

And yeah, you folks just stumbled on one of the mysteries in Route Double, which I might as well just confirm as something that we'll run into later: The bomb was supposed to go off one minute *after* the lockdown lifted, but it will in fact go off *before* the lockdown lifts. You can actually take a stab at why that is, though you'd have to think quite a bit about it, given that we haven't even run into the problem yet.

It's probably somehow Ukita's fault.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Don't make me choose between the villain and the worst protagonist :(

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Logicblade posted:

it's pretty clear that Keiji Ukita did nothing wrong.

::frogout:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

So can Natsuhiko Super Sonic Sympathy through a steel door because uh time's a factor my dude :stare:

Yeah seriously, it's going to be tricky to time it so that Jun only kills Ukita.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can't wait to see how Natsuhiko gets easily duped yet again.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Double bonus points if the top guy was infected by Subject N and manipulated into conducting human experimentation, not only to cause constant misery to others but to also bring down LABO and the government when it was eventually and inevitably exposed. Playing the long con!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Edit: Point being, everyone in the game is terrible. For different reasons.

I'll not have you malign Best Buddy Jun this way.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Neither

Only favor Best Buddy Engine Cutter Jun.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Option B

Ukita must pay for his crimes. And Natsuhiko is the worst protagonist.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Didn't vote because they both suck.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It wouldn't be a proper visual novel without a harem ending.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So right after pulling the player into the story by heavily implying that you are the BC ghost, they shove the player right back out by having the BC ghost narrate in first person.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

However, we now know that this idea has flaws - primarily that the Communicator that performs this operation has a shelf life. They can only make so many super soldiers before they get N-ified.

Is that the issue? Because it seemed to me that the issue was that they could only absorb so many memories before getting N-ified. To once again go to a bad computer analogy, it's like a hard drive where you add so many files to it that you start to overwrite the system OS files.

I bet if you stop at two or three experts, like the described super soldier, the Communicator could paste that poo poo onto a lot of recruits without taking in anything else.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Anyway, to answer the actual poll at the end, first here's my previous ratings:

CirclMastr posted:

8 - Kazami Tachibana: Confident, strong, rational, but with a tender side.
7 - Jun Moribe: Best Buddy Jun is only hampered by rage virus.
6 - Watase Kasasagi: Actually does things as the protagonist, seemingly has a decent backstory as terrorist, amnesia is still a crappy plot device.
5 - Ena Tsubakiyama: Does nothing in Before except dump exposition, but at least had some good moments in After.
4 - Louise Yui Sannomiya: I kept waiting for the plot twist that she's a robot.
3 - Yuuri Kotono: She is the worst kind of mystery, but at least she wasn't actively harmful like...
2 - Mashiro Toba: Oh my god why are the stupidest characters always the ones driving the action? Can she just stop?
1 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa: Mashiro drives the action because Natsuhiko is too bland and boring - but of course super talented with new powers as the plot demands - to be an actual protagonist.
0 - Keiji Ukita: If he had died in the car accident, literally everyone would have been better off.

And here's how I would update them:

8 - Jun Moribe: Some would argue that Best Buddy Jun not having a dark secret plot twist makes her a less interesting character than the others. I disagree wholeheartedly. I'd wife her but I know her heart belongs to Engine Cutter.
7 - Louise Yui Sannomiya: Never got the plot twist that she's a robot, but she definitely grew on me.
6 - Ena Tsubakiyama: I don't mind her background so much, and she's the only adult in this list who tries to address the whole PRC issue from a legitimate angle. I can definitely appreciate someone demonstrating a middle ground between "the city is great" and "loving blow it all up."
5 - Kazami Tachibana: A big drop for me, mostly because I didn't care for her being a secret Communicator the whole time. Still had the best malice infection scene though.
4 - Watase Kasasagi: For all his talk about preserving life and such, it took him way too long to realize that terrorism is bad. And it wasn't even terrorism being bad that did it; if none of Q's attacks affected him personally, I bet it wouldn't convince him to reject terrorism.
3 - Mashiro Toba: I almost hate to rate her this high, but at least she has agency.
2 - Yuuri Kotono: Sacrifices herself more than Optimus Prime, and ultimately ends up a bad plot twist and Macguffin put together, but still isn't as actively harmful as anyone below her.
1 - Keiji Ukita: I am ready to admit that maybe he shouldn't have died in a car accident. But he's a fanatic, not just about joining Q but even how he worked before then. He just has to have one conversation with someone and he will take on their ideology and crank it up to 11.
0 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa: You are just the worst, Natsuhiko. And you didn't even go for the harem ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Do Vampires Dawn 2 first to get a huge audience to alienate when you follow up with The Closer.

• Locked thread