Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

EVERY SECOND TURNS INTO A MEMORY

Now, we get our final friendship scene for Salyu here during PAST.

{Mashiro, thank you for giving me this nickname. I really liked it. Yuuri, it's a little late now, but I wanted to know more about you. ...These are my true feelings. What I've always wanted to tell you all.}

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Her feelings beyond words. And as if in response, Natsuhiko's mind recalled the days he had spent with Salyu.

--Those were no longer any ordinary memories. They were the new cherished memories he shared with her.

{...Thank you, Natsuhiko. I once had nothing, but now I have precious memories. Even if my past was dark and shen, these past six days bestowed them with color. I want to make more cherished memories with you. So I absolutely cannot die.}

And with that, we return to PAST with ''If I had one wish, it would be to have another meal at that house.'' So that's 5 out of 6 - only Yuuri left now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ETERNAL MEMORY

And now, our final friendship scene, which comes during MIND.

Yuuri was no longer with them. Natsuhiko finally accepted that truth--

(Goodbye, Yuuri...)

--and bid her farewell.

Natsuhiko recalled one such nostalgic memory. --A memory of when she was living--

They first headed home.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Natsuhiko and Yuuri walked silently hand—in-hand. The professor walked a few steps ahead of the two as she spoke on the phone with someone.

--Yes, there's the possibility of neglect... Does Article 14 of the BC Law not apply? ...Then at least a security department citation for the parental guardians...

Natsuhiko’s mother spoke in a firm voice. But what she was talking about was too difficult for the kids to understand. However, they at least had the vague idea that the situation was serious. Eventually, Yuuri cast down her eyes and murmured.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm...?
Thanks for everything today. It was so fun.

Natsuhiko's chest tightened as she thanked him. He said he'd protect Yuuri, but he couldn't fulfill his promise. He even borrowed strength from his mother, but he had no idea how far that would get him. Perhaps dragging Yuuri along this late at night only made things worse. He had seen how horribly furious her parents would get at her after she'd return home.

...I'm sorry, Yuuri.
Huh?
...I couldn't do anything. I couldn't do anything to help you...

Yuuri shook her head at those words.

Don't say that... We may have only run away from home for a short time, but it was really fun for me. We walked hand-in-hand, we talked a lot... we made precious memories. ...That's all I need to...

Yuuri sealed her lips at that. Natsuhiko looked up to the sky to prevent his tears from falling down.

Stars shined throughout the night sky. Yuuri looked up at the stars too.

...The stars sure are pretty, huh?
... Yeah.

And thus they ended up looking up at the sky together. Yuuri pointed to some particularly bright stars and spoke.

Hey, Natsuhiko, do you know those stars?
Which stars?
Those two stars beside the Milky Way... They're called Orihime and Hikoboshi.
Yeah... I've heard of them.
Hikoboshi is your star, isn't it, Natsuhiko? Your names do sound the same.

Yuuri smiled slightly as she spoke. Natsuhiko gathered the courage to answer her.

Yeah... Now if only 'Orihime' was called 'Yuuriboshi', right?
Mmm, it's too bad, but I'm not a princess like Orihime.
Ah, but it wouldn't be good anyway. Those two stars are separated from each other, after all.
... Yeah. But... You see, even if those two stars are separated, they can meet each other once a year. And because they've made that promise, they're not sad. ...And I'm not sad either. I can always go to the park whenever I want to see you, Natsuhiko. That sounds like a way better deal than what Orihime and Hikoboshi get.

--He knew that those words were her earnest attempt to sound like everything was okay. He was quietly assaulted by regret and helplessness. It wasn't as if seeing her in the park again and again could save Yuuri. Age, family, social standing-- those completely worthless things had separated them. Just like how the Heavenly River of the Milky Way separated the two stars. So Natsuhiko firmly grasped Yuuri's hand.

...Hey, Yuuri.
Huh?
I'll never forget what happened today.

Natsuhiko swore to never forget his regrets. He swore an oath upon his heart. Yuuri smiled back at him.

...I won't forget what happened today either. I'm so happy you said you'd protect me, Natsuhiko...

Yuuri gazed at Natsuhiko. As Natsuhiko gazed back, he silently swore. --To one day go up to her. And protect her forever.

(Once I grow up and get stronger... I swear I'll protect you, Yuuri...!)

{I'll be waiting--}

--Those words softly echoed in Natsuhiko's mind.

And with that, we return to MIND. Only one thing left to go in Route Before now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Natsuhiko's mom figured something out!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still waiting a bit in case my theories get immediately contradicted by the last bit of Before, but that might not be who you think it is :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Every time they mention PRC I think of China.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP: 09/16/2030, 07:05

Now, we're going pretty far back for this one - all the way back to the beginning of Chapter 2 - in order to pick up the last scene we're still missing: A bad end. This one is kind of tricky, in that it requires a bad Favor for both Mashiro and Salyu, but not bad enough to trigger the bad ends that come before it. There's nothing all that interesting in the parts where we get new dialogue - it's not like in Route After where Watase actively distrusts people, Natsuhiko's generally on the same wavelength due to how the route is constructed. With that in mind, let's just skip all the way forward...

...to TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. In this scene, Natsuhiko now replies to Yuuri's question of ''Hikorin, do you truly love the calm life you've been living? Or are you just saying you do so as to not disagree with me...?'' with this.

So if something like what's happening now were to come by and cause that calm life to crumble... You would hate it, wouldn't you?

Natsuhiko thought for a second before answering.

Well, yeah. But it's not like I've got a choice now that I've been dragged into it...

Several things stood out to him the moment he gave that answer.

(I don't think things would've turned out like this if Mashiro hadn't stuck her nose in weird places... ...No, I guess Salyu's the bigger problem compared to Mashiro. She just had to go and throw that security guard to the ground like that...)

Yuuri fell silent as Natsuhiko pondered.

...Huh? Something wrong, Yuuri?

Natsuhiko spoke up after Yuuri had remained silent for a while.

...That's no good, Hikorin...!
Huh?
Why do you have to blame those two like that...!? Both Mashiron and Salyu have done nothing but strive to do what it was they needed to do...!

Natsuhiko was shocked to hear that.

H-hold on, Yuuri! I didn't even say anything!
No, but you -are- blaming them, aren't you?
How can you even tell!?
I just can. After all--

Right as Yuuri was about to say something, the connection suddenly cut.

H-huh!? Hello!? Hello!?

Natsuhiko desperately shouted at the receiver. But there was no answer.

(... What in the world was that supposed to mean?)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind--

♪ BGM: Abyss

Before he knew it, Natsuhiko was in LABO.

The sight of Mashiro shedding tears jogged Natsuhiko's memory about the present situation.

(Oh yeah, right now...!)

They were surrounded on both sides by fires on their way from Area 4 to Area 5. The end of the passageway was covered in fire. Even if they turned around and went back to Area 4, there were fires blazing there too. They were caught between a fire and a hot place.

(Gh... wh-what do we do!?)

He couldn't come up with a plan. But time kept ticking down.

H-Hikorin...!

Yuuri tugged at Natsuhiko's sleeve and pleaded anxiously.

It's too dangerous for us to stay here any longer...!
...N-no, wait. Yuuri.
Huh?
We can't go forward or back here... so... Let's just wait for rescue here...
For rescue...!? Will anybody even come?

Yuuri's tone was negative.

Natsuhiko couldn't think.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Time ticked by all the more. Natsuhiko looked at his watch, and although it was supposed to be broken, it had suddenly started ticking down time again.

Natsuhiko was perturbed by the sight.

(I thought I had overcome the past that day... But in the end, did I overcome nothing at all...?)

--Eventually, smoke drifted in from the other side of the passageway. Mashiro muttered soon enough.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Huh...?
To be honest, this is starting to look kinda bad...

As Natsuhiko sunk into silence, the expression on his face must've been one of extreme depression. Mashiro gently took his hand.

...This might be our last chance... so there's something I want to tell you.
Huh...?
Um... it's about the day before yesterday... You believed me and helped me look for the terrorists, right? You forgave me for deceiving you about me being unable to use empathy, right?
...Yeah.
...You made me so happy. ...Thank you, Natsuhiko.

Natsuhiko felt his heart twist at those words. Mashiro spoke those words as if they were her last--

...!

Natsuhiko squeezed Mashiro's hand back. More and more smoke filled the passageway. The ambient temperature rose. Eventually, Yuuri muttered sorrowfully.

...Hikorin... I don't want it to end like this...
I thought you'd look for the correct path... I thought you'd join hands with the others and overcome reality...!
...I'm sorry.

Natsuhiko held Yuuri's hand too. The three of them stood there, hand in hand. --For who knew how long.

...!

--Natsuhiko grasped Yuuri's and Mashiro's hands tightly and watched the fire flicker...

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

----
--

------
----
--Eventually, in the deep depths of his fading consciousness-- ''Awake'', a voice called to him. Or perhaps it was merely a memory of such a voice. The moment he heard that voice... Time returned to that day once more.

And that's it for Route Before! I sure hope nobody was expecting any big reveals from this last part - it was just last because it required a playthrough on its own.

This is where we're currently at as far as game completion goes. We've seen every ending, and every scene, of both Route After and Route Before now. The best indicator of how far we are is the scene titles, so we're approaching 50% completion. In general, you can roughly say beating both of the first two routes constitutes about 50% of the story, so we've got another 50% to go.

So, next time, it'll be Route Current. But before that...

VOTING

...now, you'll notice that Route Current only has one ending. It's entirely linear - there's only a single Senses input in the entire route. There's a reason for that, but we'll get to that when we get there. So, what are we voting on? Well, I like the Senses system as far as expressing how you feel about a character on a sliding scale. That's pretty interesting, and I want to use this system a bit myself.

With that in mind, what I thought of was for you to vote on all of our main characters - not based on any sort of desire to see scenes or something, but rather purely how much you like - or trust - this character. I want to get a general opinion survey going at the halfway point, then do another at the end and see if there are any major changes.

So, give a number between 0 and 8 (0 being low, 8 being high) to:

Watase Kasasagi
Kazami Tachibana
Jun Moribe
Yuuri Kotono
Ena Tsubakiyama
Keiji Ukita
Natsuhiko Tenkawa
Mashiro Toba
Louise Yui Sannomiya

Ranking them in such a way that every number is given once in order to make a clear ranking is optional - if you want to give an 8 to two characters, go ahead. Also, here's where I stand right now - I know some things from the future, but I try to make the decision based entirely on what we know so far.

Furthermore, since my LPs never get enough traffic to actually make the votes people give to it visible, I'd also like some feedback on the LP itself in the form of a number from 0 to 8, based on how much you're enjoying it so far. Additional feedback in text form is always welcome.

Louise Yui Sannomiya: 8
I absolutely fell in love with Salyu throughout this re-run. The first time around, she didn't really click with me for some reason, but this second time, everything fell into place just right. I love her blunt, honest nature that makes her the best company you could have in a situation like this, and the comedy born from it (the ninjitsu line was absolute gold). I love her adorable side, like her overt enthusiasm when it comes to food and the moments when she starts opening up to Mashiro and Natsuhiko. And I love how absolutely no-nonsense she is, rivaling Terrorist Watase for the levels of fucks given when it comes to killing to stay alive - or more importantly, protect those close to her.

Jun Moribe: 7
Best Buddy Jun comes in right behind Salyu, primarily because, well, it's Best Buddy Jun! There's not really a thing to *not* like about her. Her chipper attitude, dauntless enthusiasm and courage, fierce devotion to rescuing people and justice... she's just an all-around good person, rage-virus-induced engine cutter rampage notwithstanding. She's fiercely loyal to those she trusts, which I guess is a bad thing if you're one on the other side, but she seems to have a pretty good judgement of character.

Watase Kasasagi: 6
Yuuri Kotono: 5
Both Watase and Yuuri come in relatively high based mainly on the mystery that surrounds both of them. Both of them have a plethora of mystery surrounding them going into this next route, and both of them have been good enough characters to keep me really engaged regarding the solutions to those mysteries. Amnesiac Watase shines as a character that has basically no skill in the field of rescue work, but through mental and physical fortitude and determination manages (at least in the good end) to save the lives of the others multiple times, taking hits for the team and keeping on kicking. Yuuri is a bit more mysterious, but it still seems fairly clear that she's at least a good person that also cares deeply about those close to her - in this case, primarily Natsuhiko and Mashiro.

Ena Tsubakiyama: 4
Kazami Tachibana: 3
Ena and Kazami come in in a bit lower, mainly because they're fairly similar to the above two, but lacking the mystery surrounding them. They're still good people, and I still like them, they're just not quite as interesting as the two above, which is kind of a breaking point when it comes to ranking people. They both have *some* mystery to them - Kazami had that interlude where she was talking to somebody that wasn't there, and Ena still has that mystery surrounding her closing her heart to the kids, but it's not as much as Yuuri's entire existence and Watase's entire past and motive.

Mashiro Toba: 2
...Mashiro tries, alright? She tries. I thought I liked her, and really, I do, but then I compare her to everybody else, and I just can't justify putting her higher to myself. She's brash and way too over-eager at times, but she's still caring and has a very strong sense of perserverance to stick with Natsuhiko through all of his problems. That has to count for something, but in my eyes, it doesn't count enough to put her over those that went over her.

Keiji Ukita: 1
Man, Ukita is really a piece of work. He still has a great deal of mystery surrounding pretty much everything about him and his motives, but the constant sowing of dissent, the constant feeling that he's trying to cover something up by keeping people from looking too much into things at LABO (he claims it's about preserving their lives, but it's hard to not believe he's got skin in the game himself with something he really doesn't want somebody to find out)... it just makes it hard to believe he's not deeply involved in some bad science poo poo.

Natsuhiko Tenkawa: 0
Natsuhiko, Natsuhiko, Natsuhiko... well, somebody needed to end up at the bottom, and I guess he's as good as anybody for it. If Salyu is a character that completely clicked with me, Natsuhiko is the complete opposite - for some reason, he ended up not clicking with me at all, and the worst thing is that I can't really pinpoint why. Maybe it's the fact that his mental problems essentially turn him into two different characters that blend together at times, maybe it's that while a distrusting Watase at least seems somewhat rational in that everybody is dangerous if you don't actually know anybody, a distrusting Natsuhiko just kind of seems like a prick that retreats into his little shell in order to not have to deal with other people.

So, those are my rankings. Yours will very probably differ greatly, but that's the fun of it.

I'll see you on the flip side, in Route Current!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The LP will probably continue on the 1st of March with the beginning of Route Current. I just got a new laptop, and I'll need some time to get it set up the way I want it. Thankfully, I took off Monday and Tuesday from work for unrelated reasons, so I have time to get things ready proper and probably record on Tuesday.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well let's start from the bottom:

0: Ukita

He is a total gently caress and by far the shadiest person in our entire crew and that's before he got rage-virus'd. He also kills all the cool people so fukhim. He's definitely the closest thing we have to a villain.

1: Mashiro

She's devoted to Natushiko but I just can't trust her not to do something stupid. Natushiko may have appreciated all the lies she told him, but I don't. Despite spending all her time inside Natushiko's head, she really doesn't understand him at all. I dunno if that's part of her character or just bad writing. Yeah gently caress it bad end me for this

2: Yuuri

Directly responsible for Watase's death several times, also a ghost. Not to be trusted, but higher than Mashiro cause I wanna know what her deal is.

3: Watase

Terrorist turned amnesiac, also shot Natsuhiko. He's proven to be reliable and helpful, and genuinely seems to want people to get out of their predicament.

4: Ena

Seems to really know much more than she's letting on. I refuse to believe her about survival games and we still have no idea how she ended up in LABO. She didn't shoot anyone but is still suspicious.

5: Natsuhiko

:geno:

6: Salyu

Fine she grew on me. She's straightforward and dependable, though I don't appreciate how inorganically the game forced us to trust her. Still, she proved her worth so she takes this place.

7: Jun

Best buddy Jun is best buddy on both routes. But she got Rage Virus'd so we might wanna give her some space for now.

8: Kazami

The most level-headed person in the group and is extremely competent. I can't see her being involved in the conspiracy (though I have some suspicions) and she seems to genuinely wants to help. Cool and competent so she takes first place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Watase Kasasagi - 5. He seems like a key part of understanding the plot, and has a lot of vaguely-hinted backstory to cover. On the other hand, he's a goddamn terrorist.

Kazami Tachibana - 6. She's level-headed enough to trust her, but not super interesting.

Jun Moribe - 8. Very likeable all around, assuming she gets over her murdering spree.

Yuuri Kotono - 4. She's mysterious and all, but I honestly don't care that much about her either way as a character. She'd be ranked lower if she didn't seem like another key plot character.

Ena Tsubakiyama - 7. She's pretty rad, although obviously hiding something.

Keiji Ukita - 0. Because gently caress him.

Natsuhiko Tenkawa - 7. Natsuhiko Did Nothing Wrong, although the game doesn't see it that way.

Mashiro Toba - 1. She's an impulsive brat. Her only saving grace is that she legitimately cares for others, but it takes more than that to get high Senses in a life-or-death scenario.

Louise Yui Sannomiya - 8. Route:Before really sold me on her.

The LP - 8. Rapid updates, good format, no complaints here. Obviously a ton of work put into it, considering the sheer volume of content we've gotten so quickly.

e: derp, top is 8 and not 9.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 25, 2017

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
This LP: 8 because yay compliments :v: In all seriousness, a lot of effort has been put into this thing and thank you so much for doing this.

Now, for character rankings:

0 - Keiji Ukita. He was a non-entity in After, and I hate him for being a total poo poo in Before.

1 - Mashiro Toba. Honestly, the only reason she's here is because this was the last slot open and she was the last character. I dunno, I just feel like a lot of After's problems are because she decided to investigate terrorism herself instead of talking to the authorities. Then again, one of the authorities was terrorist, so :shrug:

2 - Ena Tsubakiyama. She'd be higher, since she's a good teacher and stuff, but I can't help but not like her because of how useless she is during most of Before.

3 - Watase Kasasagi. Kind of a dumbass, though a lot of times that's because we voted wrong for Senses, but seriously. Also is a terrorist.

4 - Yuuri Kotono. There's something up with this girl, but I don't really like her. She didn't do anything in After, and Before she was just a character there. Current might fix that, but at the moment she's here.

5 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa. While there's plenty of things to talk about re: Natsuhiko's Mom and Terrorist Hunt, I think most of his responses were valid given the situation (despite what the game seems to think).

6 - Kazami Tachibana. She's calm, competent, and trustworthy, though maybe a little too much so at times.

7 - Louise Yui Sannomiya. She's an adorable little gumdrop and I can't help but like her, especially her blunt responses to basically everything from suddenly suplexing Natsuhiko to being able to murder the gently caress out of Watase. What a cute axe murderer.

8 - Jun Moribe. Aside from the brief murdering stint (which I'm 90% sure is caused by an outside force) she's Best Buddy Jun.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
LP: 7: A pretty insane update schedule and tons of content, both which are good (for the game) and bad (for potential discussion.) But since the latter isn't something that can really be controlled/done it's still pretty good.

As for the characters...

Jun Moribe: 8. Jun is a bro sis Bro as ordained by Brosidon Lord of the Brocean. Is very consistent about this.

Ena Tsubakiyama: 7. Good Teach is Good and also knows how to handle a gun so is probably a secret agent or something I don't know, Teach is cool.

Louise Yui Sannomiya: 6. Crazy Strong and Action Oriented, but she has a little too much going for her. Alice being a tool to help her with being emotionally shut down? Ok. It also being a weasel? Ok. It being able to hack all of the gibsons with a simple voice command? Uhhhhhh.

Watase Kasasagi: 5. Is a pretty ok dude when he's not a terrorist. Also the second-deadliest person in the cast aside from Salyu. Sticks in my mind as 'Whoops I accidentally your head asplode Watase' for all of the bad ends where that happens :allears:

Natsuhiko Tenkawa: 4. Once he stopped being a wishy-washy layabout he got pretty good and his thoughts and actions make sense (even if the game is like 'NO YOU MUST BE THE PROTAGONIST BECAUSE'.)

Mashiro Toba: 3. While her heart is in the right place her head isn't. I mean sure, go ahead and enable Natsuhiko to keep his brain from breaking itself before he can handle it, but terrorists? By yourself? This ain't your animes gal! And then there's the whole 'all of my character portraits must have my right finger extended in some fashion!' The first thing I thought of when she hurt her finger was 'OH NO WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT MY FINGER!?'

Yuuri Kotono: 2. Are you a ghost? Are you a girl!? GASP! A GIRL GHOST! With girly ghosty cooties.

Kazami Tachibana: 1. Watase's ex-girlfriend. Uh, I had to remind myself who she was aside from this, so this isn't an indication of dislike but of lack of staying power.

Keiji Ukita: 0. He's in too deep at all levels of this and has repeatedly displayed preference for LABO over people's lives. Hint: people make organizations.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 25, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
like/trust rating:

0 - Ukita - He's obviously up to his eyeballs in the terrorism craziness, and what's worse is he was willing to have the son of a longtime coworker murdered, and yet didn't have the guts to do it himself. We don't know his motive, but I bet it makes less sense than Watase's, which seems to be revenge fueled by grief. Also there were those bad ends where he killed a bunch of people.

1 - Yuuri - I don't like either Before or After Yuuri. It's a character type that never really clicks with me in general, and also Before Yuuri is a result of Natsuhiko's crazy. And After Yuuri clearly knows things that could've saved the group a lot of trouble, but refuses to tell anyone because she can't bring herself to trust them. and when someone can't trust, you can't trust 'em back. :colbert:

2 - Natsuhiko - He's just not as compelling a protagonist as Amnesia Watase, and his deliberately bubbling himself off is a big turn-off in a way it's hard to describe until he's called out on it, over, and over, and over again. And the shock reveal is kinda ludicrous, and also makes it clear that Natsuhiko is not reliable.

3 - Ena - The one character that most suffered from doing After before Before, because you spend almost all of After until Ena sticks up for Watase suspecting her of being up to something. It's not like she's completely on the level in Before, but her care for the kids comes through, and it makes sense now why she ended up at LABO. It's also clear, though, that she hid something from the kids that probably would've saved them a lot of grief (in that last encounter, there was something she held back from saying).

4 - Watase - The exact midpoint! Amnesia Watase is a good egg who tries to do the right thing, and accomplishes a lot despite remembering gently caress all about rescue stuff. Non-Amnesia Watase is a fanatic monster who doesn't care who he hurts in order to enact revenge, and would probably say ANYTHING to further his goal. also I don't really like Before Watase because I'm not a big fan of delusional maniacs as villains. I wished for someone who articulated a clearer hatred of Communicators beyond a petty personal vendetta, and instead it's PERSON I CARE ABOUT DIED YOU ARE ALL MONSTERS KILLING YOU DOESN'T COUNT AS MURDER KILL KILL KILL. I guess it's impressive that he managed to hide being unhinged from his coworkers. It would be better for everyone if Watase never regained his memories, and the new Amnesia Watase lived in his place.

5 - Mashiro - Okay. She made a really bad call enabling Natsuhiko's delusions so long. Her judgment sucks. But her heart is unmistakably in the right place, and she's one of the most consistently entertaining characters. I would place her at 9 if not for the Yuuri scenario, but balancing the "trust" aspect of this ranking means she goes down here. probably should rank her lower, but I'm more empathetic.

6 - Kazami - Hypercompetent, smart, and actually believes in doing her job, unlike her shitheel psycho ex-boyfriend boss. But I just don't find her as entertaining a character as the two above her.

7 - Salyu - After gives a really weird impression of her, and when she is first introduced in Before, she seems very remote and hard to like. But the later characterization is probably the most effective characterization this game has done. The backstory's clearly trying to chalk it up to her upbringing, but I like reading it as if Salyu is autistic. It makes all of her behaviors make so much more sense. Especially the "kicking people's asses without stopping to ask questions" thing. Also learning Watase was the terrorist makes her seem a GODDAMNED HERO who did nothing wrong. Salyu is our little autistic warrior. :3:

8 - Jun - Of all the characters, the one with the clearest moral compass and the most devotion to DOING THE RIGHT THING. well, except when she goes homicidal, but I don't blame her for that. What little we see of her in Before reinforces the very positive impression I have of her.

this is all unfairly judgmental (except for Mashiro who I'm probably not hard enough on). but it is my feels.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not decisive enough to vote like this, but I find it amusing that the consensus seems to be that the writers made a sympathetic main character, then gave us bad ends for sympathising with him over other characters. That could have gone better.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm not decisive enough to vote like this, but I find it amusing that the consensus seems to be that the writers made a sympathetic main character, then gave us bad ends for sympathising with him over other characters. That could have gone better.

I wonder how much of the thread disconnect here is from different cultural values.

And voting...

8 - Salyu. Her backstory is still somewhat mysterious, but word from God is that she's trustworthy and she has certainly helped the other two kids out.

7 - Kazami. dated an actual homicidal crazy person who she works for. Somehow she still manages to get the job done!

6 - Jun. Didn't take the kids very seriously but who would? Disliked bad Watase and seems to have good intuition about other people's characters. Kicks a lot of rear end even though she's drawn to have all the appeal and maturity of a toddler.

5 - Natsuhiko. Managed to overcome his major depression and regain his essential nature as someone with a strong sense of justice. However, it's hard to say that someone who literally just had that kind of breakthrough is stable. Just a kid trying to do the right thing.

4. What's her face. Natsuhiko's best friend is as forgettable as she is stupid, but in her own idiotic way she was trying to do the right thing.

3. Ena. She's part of a machine intended to segregate and indoctrinate children on behalf of the Japanese government. She's also sneaky and secretive - smart qualities! But her interpersonal skills are poor and nobody really believes that she's just a BC schoolteacher.

2. Ukita. Mostly a nonentity until the rage virus hits. He's probably been up to some no good mad science but I'm not sure he's a real villain either. After all, the meltdown is likely thanks to...

1. Watase, admitted terrorist with some serious psych issues. He didn't become a decent guy until his brain was blasted with psychic bleach. Brain damaged Watase is decent enough, but he's also an extremely bland self insert.

0. Yuuri. Nobody's got time for her kind of poo poo.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
0 - Yuuri. I just don't feel a reason to care for her. She (supposedly?) died early enough that we don't get a sense for who she was, and who she is (in either Before or After) is a person who never explains anything and seems to be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious (especially in After, where she probably doesn't have the excuse of being the hallucination of a boy desperately deluding himself for years). Not to mention it is usually when she disappeared in After that everything went to hell. And something about her character rubs me the wrong way. Everyone has brief moments of Doing Something, where she remains the delicate wallflower, however justified that may be.

1 - Natsuhiko. Probably a bit unfair to him, but Watase made such an effective "what is that!? what's going on?!" character that going back to someone with little knowledge was frustrating (though his casual views on things like BC gave some new insight). He gets a lot of poo poo throughout the game, both for his beliefs and just for trying to help, but the end result is that you unfairly end up feeling frustrated at him. As far as his character goes, aside from his one mental issue he's pretty much the straight man to the others respective brands of silliness, which makes him feel a bit flat compared to the others. Also, he's probably behind half the things Watase deals with over After according to Currents synopsis, so gently caress him.

2 - Kazami. Very trustworthy, definitely not going to be the villain, but she seems rather flat. Someone needs to be the voice of reason, and some things just don't need to be talked about in After's state of emergency, especially with your amnesiac ex-boyfriend. But ultimately it leads to a character for whom, like others have stated, "Watase's ex" is the only descriptor of note.

3 - Mashiro. Pretty much anything I could say against her has already been said.

4 - Ukita. Is he suspicious as hell? Yes. Is he involved with the bombing in some fashion? Almost certainly yes. Is he attempting to cover his rear end, both for the bombing and other misdeeds? Almost definitely yes. Did he work with Q for ultimately moral reasons? I think he thinks he did at least. Did he expect to get a rabid dog like The Captain? Hell no. There's something to note how, when he is infected with rage and more likely to be forthcoming, his reason for killing Watase was due to disgust at The Captain's actions. The desperate rationalization of a man being driven to kill people? Maybe. But I want to believe the best of him.

5 - Ena. I just like her, with her desire to protect the children and the way she geeks out over BC. Some suspicious activity, but as the previous number one Ena basher, I have grown to like and trust her.

6 - Watase. Amnesia Watase is the perfect viewpoint for the player new to Root Double. 90% of the time, what he was thinking was what we were thinking, and while his route has only one true ending, it still felt as though we were impacting how things would end up, as opposed to Before where the setup bled away most of the tension. Others have spoken of Watase's positive qualities, such as his earnest desire to save everyone or his obvious Martial Arts training by the like of Leon "kick your face off" Kennedy.

7- Jun. The original Best Buddy, and only narrowly beaten out by Salyu. Her bubbly, energetic nature made a much needed change from the serious nature of the situation, yet she still has her own connection to the plot and her own scars to bear. Only turned on us due to Rage and a desire to enact bloody justice, and in both the actual endings we got (as opposed to 'game overs') she attempts to serve that upon who she believes is a more deserving target eventually. Hopefully she will reinstate Best Buddy status. EDIT: Admittedly, not the sort of person I'd be comfortable putting my life in the hands of in real life.

8 - Salyu. A taciturn girl with a too-similar name to Yuuri at first, with a penchant for axe murder, she has soared to the top of this list. Considring the circumstances, her loyalty is remarkable, and as her list of feats grew (culminating in taking a bullet while causing a distraction for Nat and others) so did my fondness for her. Her list of feats is a little too large, but sometimes sheer awesome stops objections in their tracks. You just gotta love someone who, finding their fallen comrades body in enemy territory, then embarks on a single handed guerilla campaign, destroying the enemies resources, introducing dissension in their ranks and, when they split up and start searching with, among othr things, a gun and an engine cutter, killing them all with a fire axe held in the hands of a twelve year old. In one version of events, anyways.

This LP 7/8 Only real flaw is that sometimes there's a real lack of discussion going, which is a pain for me because it's hard for me to be the first one to throw his opinions out there. On another note, does this get me the friendship scene?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

This LP 7/8 Only real flaw is that sometimes there's a real lack of discussion going, which is a pain for me because it's hard for me to be the first one to throw his opinions out there. On another note, does this get me the friendship scene?

Well, I don't know about a friendship scene, but I did put a rudimentary CG gallery into the second post of the thread, if that's something you'd find interesting.

And yeah, the lack of discussion kind of bugs me too, and I'm sure I'm largely to blame because of my rapidfire pace essentially pushing through the story so fast you can't really stop and get some good theories together. The hazards of the :justpost: school of LPing.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
8 - Mashiro - Ok, this might seem odd, but I really resonated with Mashiro during my play through of this game. I love the drama that came with the reveal of her using empathy to continue living with Natsuhiko and while she does a lot of stupid stuff, I couldn't help egging her on, even when she does mindlessly stupid stuff like walking around town on her own trying to find terrorists. I have a soft spot for Mashiro and can really sympathise with her.

7 - Kazami - I really have a thing for people who can keep their cool and try and stay calm in the craziest situation. I instantly found myself latching onto Kazami during Route: Before and she mostly seemed to have the right idea about what to do. I think the moments when she shows chinks in her armour endear her to me and overall, she's a cool chick.

6 - Watase - I think he's an interesting because we see two different aspects of him. The part where he's a terrorist who has a raging hatred for communicators and the other part which is a general good guy. It's really interesting to see that contrast and points to something in his past probably influencing his past. Then again, being in a psychic lab which does weird things to people's minds doesn't help either.

5 - Louise - I didn't get Louise during my play through. While this thread is tiding me over towards being more warm, I still don't like her as much as I do Mashiro and Kazami. She's blunt, loyal and to the point, but at the same time she feels oddly inhuman. I think I got peeved off at her being amazing at nearly everything and her General emotionlessness that seems a bit too convenient. I dunno, this thread is making me like her more.

4 - Ena - Ena is a bit of a question mark at the moment, but she isn't crazy like the other ladies are and she has some stuff going for her with the closing her mind off and being really good with guns. She's not my favourite, but she's not my least favourite. She's like in the middle for me.

3 - Jun - Jun and Ena are close for me. I have a similar opinion with regards to both of them. Jun is a best buddy, precocious girl and she serves as a nice juxtaposition to Kazami. At the same time, I just find myself liking Kazami much more while I slightly like Ena and Jun. Ena scores higher for me because I want to know more about why she's in the lab I. The first place.

2- Natsuhiko - Natsuhiko just seems to be a general protagonist who starts off a jerk. I found it hard to like Natsuhiko during Before and I much prefer watase as a protagonist to him. I think Natsuhiko is slightly generic, weird communicator powers withstanding, so I haven't really grown to love him. Plus I found him annoying when I played before.

1 - Yuuri - I really don't like Yuuri. She's such a wet cloth in comparison to Louise and Mashiro and really inoffensive to the point of slight ridiculousness. She obviously has some weird mind stuff going on and she gets not last because those mysteries are interesting. If it wasn't for that, she might be my least favourite character.

0 - Ukita - Pure, unbridled jerk during after and not a character I find interesting when compared to everyone else. At least Ena is slightly likeable and Yuuri has some interesting stuff going on around her. Ukita doesn't really have that going for him. He's probably involved in the terrorist plot and that's probably where his intrigue ends.

The speed is a bit hectic to keep up with, but I like seeing the game through again and I do enjoy seeing the discussions as well. 7/8

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Before I'm doing my voting I'm refreshing myself on Route A, and during that I reread the friendship scene where we learn that Kazami and Watase used to date. In it, she said that she and Watase were very similar. I'm starting to wonder how similar she is to Watase before he was mind-crushed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think what she means is that they were both very cold, no-nonesense people. I don't think terrorist Watase is what he was really like.

Remember the "monster communicators" become spreaders of madness, and Natsuhiko noted how unnatural Watase's mind was.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I've been following but not posting because I've already beaten the game and am paranoid about spoiling things, but I rate your LP an 8.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah I kind of went through being a latecomer, then being kind of lurker-y in general anyway, then friend got it off my wishlist and I binged the whole thing so I'm hesitant to say things to avoid spoiling anything (so I'm not gonna vote on characters at this point, might at the end!), but the LP's real good (8).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll put the LP at 6 just because I am comparing it to RPG Maker vampire shenanigans (8) and weird knockoff Indiana Jones adventure games (7).

8 - Kazami Tachibana: Confident, strong, rational, but with a tender side.
7 - Jun Moribe: Best Buddy Jun is only hampered by rage virus.
6 - Watase Kasasagi: Actually does things as the protagonist, seemingly has a decent backstory as terrorist, amnesia is still a crappy plot device.
5 - Ena Tsubakiyama: Does nothing in Before except dump exposition, but at least had some good moments in After.
4 - Louise Yui Sannomiya: I kept waiting for the plot twist that she's a robot.
3 - Yuuri Kotono: She is the worst kind of mystery, but at least she wasn't actively harmful like...
2 - Mashiro Toba: Oh my god why are the stupidest characters always the ones driving the action? Can she just stop?
1 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa: Mashiro drives the action because Natsuhiko is too bland and boring - but of course super talented with new powers as the plot demands - to be an actual protagonist.
0 - Keiji Ukita: If he had died in the car accident, literally everyone would have been better off.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

I'll put the LP at 6 just because I am comparing it to RPG Maker vampire shenanigans (8) and weird knockoff Indiana Jones adventure games (7).
I like your reasoning and vote this LP a 6 as well. As for the rest of my votes:

8 - Jun Moribe: She's very trustworthy and likable.

7 - Kazami Tachibana: She's competent and helpful.

6 - Louise Yui Sannomiya: She's cute, dependable, and kick all kinds of rear end. She isn't higher because I'm confused as to whether or not she can use BC. I mean, on one path she says she has no aptitude for it, yet in Route After it's implying that she's the source of the radiation that may or may not be BC. I might be forgetting a few details.

5 - Watase Kasasagi: I like him more as a protagonist than the other guy, but his actions as a terrorist knock him down. Also, seeing him go through that many bad ends makes me like him less.

4 - Yuuri Kotono: She hasn't done anything that makes me dislike her, but she's perhaps the most mysterious character in the cast and I don't know if I can trust her.

3 - Mashiro Toba: I didn't like her too much due to playing along with Natsuhiko's fantasy, but her caring nature shows that she can be trusted.

2 - Ena Tsubakiyama: While she's a caring teacher to her students, she didn't really help too much. Also, how did she get inside LABO? That's rather suspicious.

1 - Natsuhiko Tenkawa: I didn't like him as a protagonist and his issues should have been resolved years ago.

0 - Keiji Ukita: Has been suspicious and/or a hindrance to our protagonists since he first appeared.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's always weird when people bring up the Raunes LP, with how little traffic that got. It surprises me when people remember it.

Anyway, laptop migration progress report - my screen capture software is installed, the OCR software is installed as well, and Root Double has been downloaded and the save file transferred. I'm just going to work some of the kinks out today and probably record and write up some updates tomorrow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Prologue / EPILOGUE: 09/16/2030, 07:46

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

It's been two months now since we've been here. Pattern recognition says that we should be coming back to this screen a month from now, but I question that pattern repeating.

So this time around, we've fully completed Route Before, with endings, friendship scenes, and CGs...

...and move on to Route Current.

We once again start with a Bible quote. I know what this refers to! I don't think we even work out what this could be referring to during this route, though.

--The blood poured endlessly. From his side. His left arm. His right leg.

He ran to get away from that man-- and to defeat him. And at the end of his flight, Natsuhiko's feet brought him--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

And then a gunshot shrieked from behind.

Gah...!

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Natsuhiko fell, pain burning through his left arm.

--So this is where you die?

Natsuhiko didn't even have the energy to respond. Eventually, the man parted with these words:

...After you comes the girl.
(--!?)

Natsuhiko stood up with all his might to put an end to the man‘s wicked deeds.

Waaaaggghhh!

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

There was but one thing Natsuhiko needed to do: use his ability to destroy the man's mind. So he focused with all his mind. All his spirit.

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

His face rapidly froze over--

Aah... aah... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

--And he ran for his life.

Wait! ...Guh!

Natsuhiko tried to pursue the man, but staggered, slammed his back against a tower, and collapsed on the spot. Blood streamed out from his entire body. He could feel his mortal flame fading. But to protect his beloved hometown and the people precious to him who lived within--

--He mustered the last of his strength to destroy every last memory that composed the man's mind.

Ga... agh...!

And as the man fell, Natsuhiko's consciousness rapidly faded away--

----
--

''Awake'', a voice called to him. Or perhaps it was merely a memory of such a voice. He heard that voice as he lay beneath the whitewashed tomb... And then time began to move.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Format / ORDER: 09/16/2030, 09:16

----
------ His consciousness was in an endless darkness. It felt like a world shut off from everything. Sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste... he'd been disconnected from all his senses. It didn't feel like there was a world around for him to experience at all.

???: (What...?)

He had no idea what was going on. He couldn't even tell if he was dead or alive.

???: (What in the world am I...?)

Ripples of bewilderment spread across the calm sea of nihility, and then--

???: (Th... this is!)

--his memory suddenly returned.

He remembered who he was. Where he was. What he was doing. What he had gotten himself into.

(That's right...! I'm Natsuhiko Tenkawa.)

He remembered that he, an ordinary high school student, had caught wind of a terrorist attack and went to LABO to prevent it. And finally, he remembered--

--that he got shot by a terrorist!

(Then-- am I really dead after all!?)

(...No...!)

(I can feel something pulsing...!)

He certainly could feel a beat. --A heartbeat.

Both his body and consciousness were here.

(I'm still alive...?)

--------

...Captain, please hang in there! Captain!
Get up, Captain! C'mon!

Roused awake by those voices-- Natsuhiko opened his eyes.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

W-what a relief! I thought you bit it there for a sec!
(...?)

Before his eyes were two female rescue workers. One of whom he recognized.

(... Jun...?)

He tried to say her name, but-- For some reason, his lips seemed to be paralyzed. He had his senses, yet it felt as if his nerves weren't connected properly to his body... It was a strange sensation.

(Wh-what... What's going on?)

As soon as Natsuhiko questioned the situation,

???: Who a—- no, where am I...?

his mouth moved on its own. And his body even got up in spite of Natsuhiko's intention.

(...!?)

Natsuhiko was bewildered at the sight. For he was in a clearly different place than where he had passed out.

???: Ugh!

An agonized voice suddenly came out of his body, which once again collapsed in the passageway.

(Wh-what's happening...?)

He felt the sensation of a headache, yet he did not feel like what was happening was real.

Are you okay!? Are you in pain!?
???: N-no... I'm fine...

His mouth moved on its own again. And then his arms suddenly came into view.

His body disregarded Natsuhiko‘s confusion and got up by leaning his arm against the wall.

(Is someone... controlling me?)

But right when Natsuhiko considered that suspicion, he heard an explosion.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Maybe a fire's broken out! Let‘s go, Lieutenant!
Right! Captain, please rest here! We'll handle this one by ourselves!

And with that, the two rescue workers ran off.

(They re saying... I'm... a rescue squad captain...!?)

In spite of Natsuhiko's bewilderment, his body moved on its own to follow the two women.

He just now realized he had heard that voice before. It was the voice of the terrorist who had shot him and Mashiro—-

(Huh!? Then that means... This is that man's body!?)

In spite of Natsuhiko's will, his body just stood there, dumbfounded.

(That's gotta be it...! I must be in that man's body right now!)

He didn't know why he was inside him, but he knew that he was. That was when the man's ears picked up a faint voice...

???: He... help me...!
Someone's... in that room!?
(!! --Then they need to be saved!)

Right as Natsuhiko came across that thought, the man dashed through a gap in the flames.

The man's eyes froze in place, and through the smoke, he saw--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

(Y-Yuuri!? What's Yuuri doing in a place like this!? Am I hallucinating again!?)

But right as Natsuhiko had that thought, the girl's face froze over.

And then someone else's thoughts ran through Natsuhiko's consciousness.

(!? What? What's with that voice? It sounded like telepathy!)

Before he realized it, the man's feet had stopped in their tracks.

(Could that voice have been... what he was just thinking right now!? If he's cognizant of her, then does that mean she's not a phantom--!? poo poo! Then we've gotta save Yuuri, and quick!)

He could see the flames encroaching closer and closer to Yuuri's body.

(If I can hear his voice, then I'm sure as hell that he can hear mine!)

Natsuhiko focused hard in the same way he would when he used telepathy.

{Don't stop! Save her!}
!?
{--Go save her!!}

Natsuhiko's voice echoed in the man's head-- And with that command giving him the final push he needed, the man lunged into the blazing flames.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Welp. :munch:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
My urge to just buy the dang game with money I don't have is getting harder and harder to resist.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Time to back seat drive Natsuhiko while he Back Seat Drive's Watase.

SHUT UP BACK SEAT DRIVER I'M WATCHING AN LP!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

asymmetrical posted:

My urge to just buy the dang game with money I don't have is getting harder and harder to resist.

It's an interesting thing LPing this game - you actively lose posters because people just buy the game and read through it for themselves, and then they don't trust themselves with the knowledge they've gained.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So Natsuhiko hijacked Watase somehow and has been freeloading inside his head. This should be interesting.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't wait for the dolphin cryptographer to have to hack Watase's brain.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

I can't wait for the dolphin cryptographer to have to hack Watase's brain.

Hey, I understand that reference!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh hey, remember when I said "I don't think the pattern of us returning to the title screen one month earlier each time will be repeating"? I just recorded the entirety of Route Current in one sitting, clocking in at about 1 hour and 40 minutes of footage. Turns out I forgot that it was only two hours long and was more of a transitional route leading up to the big one. I'd be surprised if I *didn't* get through Route Current in a month.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dosage / SUDDEN CHANGE: 09/16/2030, 09:21

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Don't worry miss, you're safe now.
Are you hurt?
...N-no.

Natsuhiko looked long and hard at the girl through the man's eyes.

But Yuuri was supposed to have died nine years ago.

(Yuuri... didn't have a twin sister by any chance, did she...? No, I could've sworn Yuuri was an only child... So could she be her clone or something, then!?)

She was such a spitting image of Yuuri that he couldn't help but ponder such absurd impossibilities. At that time, the man's eyes turned toward the two rescue workers.

By the way, can I ask you guys a question? You've been calling me 'Captain'... so does that mean I'm the captain of a rescue squad or something?
Huh? The heck you talking about?
What... do you mean by that?
Well, the thing is... I don't know anything. Not who I am, or even where I am...
Huh!?

Everyone on the outside was shocked by the man's confession, but Natsuhiko was rather relieved.

(Thank goodness... I successfully destroyed the man's mind.)

Natsuhiko recalled what'd happened back then.

(Please... work...)

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It was more accurate to say that he had destroyed the man's ''memories'' rather than his ''mind''. As a result, the man appeared to be suffering from amnesia.

(Then did his hatred and murderous intent disappear too...?)

He had no evidence that said that much, but all signs of the man's demeanor suggested that Natsuhiko could relax for now.

(... But...)

Natsuhiko grew depressed as he recalled the details of his own loss of consciousness. His blood loss. His senses fading into darkness. He was by no means okay.

(Well, it's no wonder... With that many gunshot wounds, anybody would...)

That fact cast a dark shadow on Natsuhiko's mind.

(But then what am I now...? ... Don't tell me I'm a ''ghost''...)

As that possibility crossed his mind, he recalled a story he had heard just the other day.

BC energy created by telepathy starts decaying after it's sent, but it's not like it fades to zero immediately. So in other words, with or without a target, extraordinarily strong BC can remain in place for a while...
...that also means that the feelings of the dead remain in this world, doesn't it!?

...Natsuhiko likely died while he was still inside the man's mind. And thus the BC energy Natsuhiko used was still lingering inside the man--

(... So my consciousness is in here now, huh. Who would've thought that I'd personally experience a hypothetical we discussed in class... It's almost like I've become an impure spirit, haunting the one who killed me... hahah.)

He was unbearably sad that he would no longer be able to see Mashiro, Salyu, or even his own mother again.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Please hold out your arm.
N-no... I don't want that shot...
You can't be like that! You'll be in grave danger without it!
Aah...!

The lieutenant forcefully injected the girl.

...What's that drug?
It's called AD. Put in simple terms, it's an 'anti-radiation' drug.

According to the lieutenant's explanation:

And during the lieutenant's explanation, she told the man this:

And nearly two hours ago, that very same reactor-- went through a 'meltdown'.

That revelation gave both the man and Natsuhiko a great shock.

(No... In the end, the meltdown still happened...!? Dammit! I thought things would work out if I just defeated this bastard!)

The man's comrades probably blew up the nuclear reactor.

(Then what have I... What have we been fighting for...?)

As Natsuhiko wallowed in his helplessness, the man checked his own pockets. He then found a single ampule of AD.

The man administered the medicine as told-

-and a sudden change occured in Natsuhiko's consciousness.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

(!?)

He was struck with an abrupt, intense feeling of loss.

(Don't... don't let me... disappear...!!)

But that prayer was in vain--

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah AD is a BC suppressor after all.

So if we're now riding in Watase's mind, it's possible that the Rage Virus is another BC user. Maybe that girl in the elevator?

This Yuuri thing is throwing me for a loop though. Why isn't she affected by AD?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Don't forget Mashiron, everyone. I mean, if Watase has Natsuhiko in his mind being the one guiding him, then that means that he probably isn't the one making everyone crazy. Thing is, we know from the proper ending of After that Mashiro is bleeding out somewhere doing something with her own BC talent. If Natsuhiko isn't making people crazy, then barring Elevator girl's sudden introduction there is only one suspect. EDIT: Well, it could be Yuuri as well. Technically, I doubt she'd be the type to do this but neither would Mashiro...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Current is "Route After with running commentary by Natsuhiko Tenkawa"?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Don't forget Mashiron, everyone. I mean, if Watase has Natsuhiko in his mind being the one guiding him, then that means that he probably isn't the one making everyone crazy. Thing is, we know from the proper ending of After that Mashiro is bleeding out somewhere doing something with her own BC talent. If Natsuhiko isn't making people crazy, then barring Elevator girl's sudden introduction there is only one suspect.

You know, back when I played through this game for the first time, I never suspected Mashiro to be the source of what's driving everybody crazy, but thinking about it, the signs are there...

TheMcD posted:

Number 5: 'If a Communicator uses BC without knowing the proper way, they will eventually turn into a mind-broken monster.'

[...]

...Monster? What do you mean they'll become a monster?
Well, it's only to be expected, you know? After all, we still don't even understand the workings of the brain that well. So if you self-study BC and practice using a failed methodology... It could put an odd load onto your brain, and if that accumulates... They say that eventually, your mind will break...!

[...]

And as for the mind-broken Communicators... They become 'monsters' who use aberrant BC abilities and cursed telepathy to scatter madness among people all around them... So to prevent the birth of such monsters, the government established Communicator-exclusive schools like Rokumei Academy...!

...you know, a certain somebody has been using a *lot* of empathy recently... and they self-studied that empathy, too.

Just because I bring something up doesn't mean it can't be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if Natsuhiko will... for lack of a better word, "possess" other people during this route.

• Locked thread