Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's quite the loving title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase high
Jun top
Kazami middle

Now's the time for action and Kazami is being needleddly prudent

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nah ignore the thread complainers, they don't understand the fun of Bad Ends.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lemme guess we're now in an even more irradiated area?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game plays pretty fast and loose with radiation so far so...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Has it? What the game says about radiation makes at least some sense to me so far - though I never really looked too deeply into the actual science behind it. I mean, discounting the existence of AD.

I'm no expert myself, but it's treating radiation like Fallout does. Especially with AD.

When radiation increases in muSv, the damage it does to the cells in your body increases proportionately. In particular, what it does is it damages a cell's DNA, preventing its function and eventually leading to its death. More radiation affects more cells at once. That's what causes symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, those are the parts of the body realizing that they cannot perform their function due to damage and reacting accordingly. Obviously the longer you stay in such an environment and the higher the level of radiation there is, the faster and more progressive the damage becomes. And of course the more damage it is, the harder it is for your body to cope with it, which in turn kills you faster. That's why most of the treatment for radiation poisoning is "get the person outside of the radioactive zone, load em up with anti-biotics to help em fight off infections, provide pain relief for symptoms, hope for the best."
Nowadays we can also transplant bone marrow and stem cells to help the body recover the functions faster and contribute to its healing, but basically the idea is the same. Support the body, and try to get it to restore itself as best as we can.

So I'm not entirely sure what our magic nanomachines do, exactly. Ionizing radiation is basically like invisible sunlight (I'm speaking in very broad strokes). We're at the level of particles, so to even stop them the nanomachines would have to be smaller than a molecule. And they'd basically have to (again, in broad strokes) stop sunlight from affecting people from within the person's skin. It's a plot device that keeps the story and suspense going so I haven't been questioning it, I just don't think people should use it for plot speculation since the game is playing on its own turf.

EDIT: Also 2000-3000 mSV is 2-3 SV is "severe radiation poisoning range". 4-5 Sv is "lethal radiation poisoning" range.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dunno what you're all complaining about, arbitrary deaths are part of the fun :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like despite goons distrusting her, Kazami is into us :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ukita is a shady motherfucker and we should have kept an eye on him. He probably just hosed up the sprinkler system while we weren't looking.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

S-s-so repairing the body from the inside is okay, shielding people from within the skin is okay purging radioactive contaminants is out of the question?? :psyduck:

I should stop thinking about this.

TBH I'm not sure I like how trope-y the writing this "oh yeah this is the suspension bridge effect, that's why I'm into you ^_^" I'd expect that from sis Kazami, at most.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's all acute radiation though. This isn't "oh you get 4 Sv a year (which is still p huge btw)", it's "you're continuously in an environment where you get exposed to 4 Sv without proper anti-radiation suits or equipment"

I know AD is a thing but the game is being real blase about this.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 12, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AD is the cause of our MC's amsnesia. He actually grew up in an orphanage with all the characters in the past.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Would Watase have done this without Ena's prodding?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

However bad the water is, the air outside is much, much worse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

tiistai posted:

Yet another CG with Watase's face conveniently out of the frame lol

It just feels too obvious! Are they playing this trope straight or not, damnit

I mean it's still a VN so probably. The quiet, inexperienced, shy girl is holding onto you, the big, strong, amnesiac firefighter. This game isn't above such tropes, look at the schoolgirl uniforms and our rather well-endowed teammates. Even in 999 you never saw Junpei's face outside of like 2 cutscenes.

Also what was that about trusting Ukita? :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 19, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah death by radiation is just about the worst way to go. Yuuri was the lucky one.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Top Watase, High Yuuri

BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ukita's secret is probably that he performed a shitton of unethical af experiments. Ena's secret is that she's the terrorist. B-B-But I bet she did it for ~a good cause~ and things just happened to get out of hand.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase is really just setting himself up for disappointment. But alright.

High Watase
Top Kazami
Top Jun
High Yuuri
High Ena :unsmigghh:
Low Ukita
Mashiro - High
Natsuhiko - High
Salyu - Low

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit we let Ukita get away! Forget survivors you need to go after him! He's gonna start some poo poo I just know it!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OddHaberdasher posted:

In hindsight, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have let my irrational dislike of Ena distract me from the Real Suspicious Guy.

Nah, Ena is shady as poo poo too. She's way too quick to cast blame on others. Ukita is actually neck deep in whatever is going on though. Remember that lab room scene?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

tiistai posted:

That just makes her emotional and rash, the opposite of suspicious

That's what she wants you to think!!

EDIT:

quote:

Look at her devil horns in this picture! She's plotting our demise!

dont believe her liessssssss....

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 27, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

Keep in mind though, that one ending where we ran out of AD, everyone died from radiation exposure :saddowns: There's definitely radiation about, and without AD, we WILL die from it. I'm certain it does other stuff too but it definitely does something for radiation.

It might be psychic powers which manifest into radiation-like symptoms.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh good we found a book by Japanese Deepak Chopra

be still my beating loving heart

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hah! I told you! None of you believed me! But I showed you! I showed you all!!

I'm guessing that pre mind break Watase was probably here to exterminate all the psychic kids. Natsuhiko was probably defending himself, and Watase was calling him a "monster".

congrats I think you predicted the plot

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahaha this owns. I guess Ena ran a Survival Game Club in her school.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sabagebu-survival-game-club-/episode-11-gaudy-decoration-total-cinderella-the-red-shooting-star-656889

Or maybe http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/12/hunting-the-newest-growing-hobby-of-japanese-women/
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sabagebu-survival-game-club-/episode-7-the-hunting-club-to-be-a-man-hentai-656881 (link sfw despite the name)

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 30, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Yes, also known as survival games... it's a grown-up version of playing soldier where you shoot each other with air guns. So while I've never handled a real gun before, I got good at shooting from that... well, as good as you -can- get, I suppose.

no loving way.

I was seriously just joking.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun, Teach, you'll have the magazine, and Moribe, you hold on to the bullets.

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun

WATASE YOU loving MORON!!

rip moribe :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey BTW Ukita has the gun and Jun has the bullets. Sure they don't have the magazine, but they can still load a bullet directly into the chamber.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Ukita had the same idea I did.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It might just be the Rage Virus or whatever affecting Watase, just like it's affecting Jun, Ukita, and maybe Salyu (stupid loving name IMO)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I know. She's the character who has the long foreign name so she gets a nickname.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It seems everyone who touches Salyu gets enraged. Watase had that happen to him here and in the previous ending, same thing with Kazami.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo Watase :ughh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GeneralYeti posted:

Why does this game love describing how Watase burns to death in exquisite detail? I mean, I'm not saying he didn't earn it by being a colossal idiot, but it's starting to veer into a little too much information.

Visual gore in japan is sort of a nono so the authors need to get creative. 999 had this too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus Christ Watase you absolute dumbfuck.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase seems to have no issues climbing up and down ropes so yeah, lol

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:japan:

drat though, climbing with an adult woman on his back. Well done, Watase.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She said she could use BC, just that she couldn't do it well, didn't she? That second part is apparently a lie I guess

• Locked thread