Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Remember that I screenshotted several times where the game told us that we wasted time, and only one of them has an easy way to fix it. See if you can work out where it is, and what we need to do

So! I skimmed backwards through the thread looking for the wasted time screenshots (actually, I missed one on the way, heh) and then re-read looking for yellow branches, time mentions, etc., taking notes as I went:

Repair: 09/16/2030, 12:46

• Our first mention of "hmm why am I capping this line saying not to waste time?"
  • A Watase/Jun yellow branch (we had both high, Jun higher): Watase fails to pull the elevator doors open and so has Jun try to fix the control panel
  • If we change this though it seems like it'd shortcut around multiple Jun affection scene opportunities which seems weird if it does lead to good end?

The Fugitive: 09/16/2030, 13:16

• An Ena yellow branch (we had Ena low): Watase interrupts Ena and Salyu, Salyu flees

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31

• A Jun/Ukita/Ena yellow branch (we had Jun high, Ukita/Ena low): the fight over the gun, a wasted time mention, then it adds Watase in when it goes red
  • Note we only rewound to the red after we bad ended here, usually we've rewound to the yellow
  • Also seems to be the final yellow branch before everyone starts dying

I don't know what configuration of Senses we're going to want but my bet for un-loving ourselves is the yellow branch in Smoking Barrel. Given the way things do end up shaking out I think having Ena highest might be the way to go but my confidence in that isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
And yeah, my mentions of the other couple options was just hitting "here's all the yellows since what looks like the important point, and the tl;dr of what happened" (minus the couple that were explicitly called out as being for Jun scenes) and then some reasoning; I was pretty sure Smoking Gun's was the only one we actually needed but I wanted to lay it all out.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
One of my friends ended up getting this for me off my Steam wishlist for Christmas and I just finished it - I'm kind of sad that it means working back through and finding "how to not waste time and good end After" is my only chance to contribute since I was a latecomer to the thread to boot, but being able to sit here and :allears: is its own kind of joy. (And since I have a friend who's read it already, a joy I got to sow as much as I'll now reap!)

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
For what it's worth, I managed to figure out about half the salutation line of the note when I got here myself (I'd blitzed through Route After since I'd read it here and then cleaned up the remainder before moving on to Before as well), but the actual note was just as "what?" as it was for Watase and Ena. There is definitely some Japanese language and cultural knowledge involved in the salutation but most of it isn't anything particularly obscure.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

...as a complete side note, I didn't encounter a single bad end in Route Before during my playthrough. Apparently, I was a lot more trusting than you guys are.

I did! ... because I ran my face into the Blatantly Obvious Bad End prompts on purpose and reloaded after. I didn't even realize you could just distrust hard enough to not even get that option!

One thing I think hasn't been mentioned (it's pretty unimportant! just nice quality of life stuff) is that the game is pretty kind on the "reload to unfuck yourself" front. It keeps a quicksave at the start of every scene and at every SSS input prompt's activation, and on top of the usual "fast-forward until next unread text or next SSS input", you can rewind to a given point in your backlog (though I suppose by this point that was pretty common in VNs), skip directly to the next unread/input, or skip directly to the next scene bypassing everything else. So even if you have to go back a ways, it's pretty quick to get caught up to where you were.

Manual saves are actually more helpful just to make a given point easier to find among the sea of quicksaves than anything else, especially for something you'll want to return to repeatedly like the party split in 9-3 to get the final friendship scenes in After/also a decent enough starting point for some of the ending cleanup there.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Yes, this scene is where you first get the reference to 'sairuiu', or tear rain. It's also a hint to 'Altair' and 'bridge of wings', but the full reference comes later.

I basically got here, went "... is that even a word?", looked it up in my usual Japanese <--> English dictionary, didn't find it, concluded for the time being "well, it's not totally comprehensive, but I am very skeptical of your 'is a word'-ness, game."

Talked about the note and the conversation the next day with a friend of mine who's played, he did find it in a Japanese dictionary as in like one for native Japanese speakers. Let's just say for now that it's an extremely specific sort of rain and I would not be shocked in the least if Natsuhiko not knowing the word is pretty typical.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah I kind of went through being a latecomer, then being kind of lurker-y in general anyway, then friend got it off my wishlist and I binged the whole thing so I'm hesitant to say things to avoid spoiling anything (so I'm not gonna vote on characters at this point, might at the end!), but the LP's real good (8).

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Cyouni posted:

The video narrator, to my memory, matches no voice in Root Double.

It's Kazami narrating. (At least, I'm fairly certain.)

ArashiKurobara fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 11, 2017

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

AweStriker posted:

This VN was released before Zero Time Dilemma, right? There are a whole lot of parallels between Watase and Carlos I'm drawing here...

Quite a bit earlier - its original release was in 2012, only a few months after Virtue's Last Reward even. (It did take much longer to get an English version, it released only a couple weeks months before Zero Time Dilemma. EDIT: Misread dates a bit oops.)

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

OddHaberdasher posted:

I haven't checked back yet, but wasn't that the plan? The bomb goes off before Lockdown ends so that when they come in there's nothing to find, and to prevent others from dying?

The plan was for the bomb to go off one minute after lockdown lifted to enable the scientists they needed to drag to Area Zero to escape before it blew.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

So now we're back to business as usual. However, I feel that I should mention something here. The altered version of this scene is *amazing*. I'm not going to show you yet, but you'll see when we come back for completion. It will be absolutely amazing.

Oh good I was going to mention this if you weren't. It's 100% true.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I don't remember the exact point but I definitely remember breaking out into tears somewhere during Requiem when I read this part originally. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Doubleposting for a question: Can somebody confirm or deny that the chapters in the Xtend Episode that have the same name as those we've already seen in other routes (so for instance stuff like "Defragment", "Interlace" and "Enter" for Ukita) are exactly the same as they are in the other routes? Or, to put it differently, is there a reason I can't use the Scene Skip feature to just jump through them in about ten seconds? I'm not particularly fond of hammering through scenes, and since they have a different name (due to having an "Xe:" in front), I can't skip through using the normal Skip feature.

I really don't want to miss something because of this.

I only read a few before having come to that conclusion myself so I'm not 100% certain, but I am fairly certain this is correct.

• Locked thread