Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh, cool, it's a LP for this game. Guess I don't have to worry about which one not to do next (you know, when I eventually finish updating mine).

Interesting choice made going from A -> B, when I played I did the opposite. It's interesting what that changes given what you know of the days leading up to the event and the general background. It probably is a better idea to start in A, however, given how you start with knowing literally nothing.

I'm not sure why people seem to dislike/be confused by the SSS so much, but that might be due to me finishing the game. It's always been related to "trust in X". In the previous one, if you put Watase's self-belief on the same level as everyone else, he doesn't feel the need to take massive risks in oxygen-deficient air to save them. In this one, if it's set to low, he doesn't believe he'll last too much longer (lacks trust in himself), and turns around. In the one with the fire rollover, if low, he doesn't believe in his own abilities to help and follows Kazami's instructions to get out instead.
It's just really situation-specific, so each situation has to be analyzed individually based on what's been said recently. There is one bit where it gets a little weird, however, which I might bring up when we get there.

Also I'm pretty sure everyone aligns with their respective Enneagram personality, from my cursory check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

They do cover this in one of the game's handy dandy informational files, so we'll see it talked about eventually.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Right now, everybody should be largely fine if we accept AD as something that a) completely neutralizes all acute radiation intake below 4000 mSv and b) counteracts accumulated radiation at a similar level. However, poo poo's going up, we're already at 3000 mSv in general, and for that matter, they've already been through some more contaminated zones. Watase and Jun spent a few minutes in a zone that had about 9000 mSv, so they took in about 5000 mSv right there for a few minutes.

Reminder that the Procyon's measuring mSv/hour. The way AD's been described, it utterly eliminates 4000 mSv/hour while it's up.

Radiation exposure posted:

10000 mSv...100 percent death rate
4000 mSv... 50 percent death rate within 60 days
3000 mSv... disturbance of consciousness
1000 mSv... nausea, fatigue
500 mSv... temporary reduction in white blood cell count
<200~250 msV... no symptoms
2.4 mSv... natural radiation dosage (global average)
note: 1000 μSv = 1 mSv = 0.001 Sv

So yeah, they were in a zone that was 5000 mSv/hour for 5 minutes max (probably less, given it took them a while to find it and Watase woke up 5 minutes past that section's start), meaning that at most they took in ~420 mSv of radiation. In the long term, it'll probably be bad, but for now they're fine.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Man, that document.

I have to say that sometimes this game is a pain to make comments about.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh hi there Hiyama.

TheMcD posted:

How do you think I feel? I loving love making oblique hints about things to come in my LPs, but in this case, I have to completely zip my mouth for this one.

I think the only thing I can safely say at this point is that this looks really different when you come through A for the first time instead of doing B first.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

When I did my playthrough, I got scenes with Ena. I am roughly certain they did not affect the overall outcome of the game, but we'll see when we get to that point.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh man it's this part.

I don't mind saying this was...interesting...when I first played through it given what I knew from Before. It was also at this point that I realized that despite all I knew, I still knew basically nothing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Heh, I remember when this came up. This came just when I'd thought I'd figured out who everyone was and what they had hidden.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I maintain that this is probably my favourite bad ending.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure that little revelation is supposed to make you think "no loving way" so it's all good.

Depends on whether you're inclined to trust her already or not.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'm going to note one thing while I enjoy this - that's back along Watase's original route, around the spot he parted with Ukita. As you may have noticed, there was not a body there at that time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Just noticed this, but you've been pulling the wrong Ena portraits for a while to use as her standard portraits.

When I went through this, I ended up having a higher Sense for Ena than the LP did, so this wasn't quite as much of a shock to as it's been to everyone else. Can't say it hasn't been highly amusing watching the reactions, though - I've been waiting for this point to come along.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Hm? I've always been using the same image for Ena. You're going to have to elaborate on that one.

Those are...slightly pulled from a different route.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

It might just be the Rage Virus or whatever affecting Watase, just like it's affecting Jun, Ukita, and maybe Salyu (stupid loving name IMO)

Out of curiosity, you do know Salyu's not her actual name, right?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Obviously to fix the ghost reactor, Watase has to become a ghost himself!

In more seriousness, I don't remember TheMcD saying anything about this route having "bad ends", other than the deaths when the Sense thing turns red. What makes you think this route has multiple endings? It could just be "here's how hosed these people are" and then we go to the Before route or Route B or whatever it's called and get the rest of the story.

This was literally the first thing I suggested forever ago and I was told the game doesn't work that way.

I will point out that all the way at the beginning, it shows that Root A has a ton of possible endings (I never ended up getting all of them myself). This includes every bad ending you can get. Obviously this is leading to a specific ending, but I'll leave it up to you what sort of ending it means.

I will also note that trying to put everyone on max would not have worked so far with the decisions you've seen.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

There's an interesting line that's come up in this ending that I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet. We'll address it soon enough.

In the meantime, continuing high consumption of popcorn.

whitehelm posted:

There is one good reason for a player to move onto Route B actually. If you have Route B completed, an extra decision point unlocks after Yuuri's body mysteriously disappears. LPwise it's not worth showing off at all because literally the only difference is they skip searching for Yuuri and go straight back to the lab. Gamewise however you avoid the biggest time waster and have a much easier time avoiding this ending (it might not even be possible to mess up after that).

It's definitely still possible to hit this route through a decision point that vanished as a result of us messing up.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 9, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Huh. I'd swear there was a decision point in the room with Ena which I voluntarily chose to fail at some point. Maybe it only happens if you follow Ena around for her events/have done Root B already.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:wtf: Asphyxiating people is not a safe way to render them unconscious. There's no safe way to do that. And leaving an unconscious person unsupervised is dangerous as hell for them -- what the christ, Watase?

To be fair, it is slightly safer than having her wandering around with people trying to kill her - see what happened in Normal End. And you totally know she'd follow Watase out if she had the chance.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

The Brave Decision is pretty drat great every time it comes up.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh, that's significantly more. Based on that, I found this paper which includes a time to scald chart from the American Burn Association. Three minutes of exposure at 52 C (per the chart) for a 3rd degree burn. Yikes.

Not to mention that's not in any way a short walk underwater.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

This is the main thing I mentioned earlier that I was surprised no one picked up on. Kazami briefly touched on it during Normal End, but it was kind of overshadowed by the rest of the path.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'm going to vote for B2. It's really jarring to jump into Root B, which in my opinion makes it a better leadup to Root A. Better to minimize the discord.

Root B is a background route that takes a while to get going, with some exceptions. Early on, though, Root B is slooooooow. Interesting, but slow.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

Why does this game love describing how Watase burns to death in exquisite detail? I mean, I'm not saying he didn't earn it by being a colossal idiot, but it's starting to veer into a little too much information.

Sometimes you might want to watch Watase burn to death in exquisite detail.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Seeing these friendship scenes is like, well....Best Buddy Jun is Best Buddy (derangement notwithstanding) but seeing the Ena scenes is making me feel like a right heel.

Yeah, I had a significantly higher opinion of Ena when I went through this than you guys did.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Junpei posted:

Guys, just a theory, but in the future, be on the lookout for the numbers 4, 9, 16 and 25. 36, 49, 64, 81 and 100 as well. Just a hunch.

Actually, just watch out for all numbers. Almost every number can be a Root Double.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

W-well... Please! This could the key to unlocking more memories, right?

I haven't actually seen this scene myself, but I feel the part after the ellipsis is Watase's line.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

For reference, I haven't the slightest what the gently caress this means. I never saw this scene during my playthrough. EDIT: I'm starting to work things out, though I'm still far from working it all out.

It's actually really easy. Problem is that it's all in reference to optional scenes, and it's hard to actually provide the answer to it (and other interesting factoids) without resorting to spoiler bars.

We'll get there eventually, but if you want the early answer, leave me your email or something and I'll send you the references.
EDIT: I don't have PMs, or I'd just send one.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 1, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

AweStriker posted:

I'm conflicted over whether the fact that barely any information is presented about Mashiro's taste in anime is a good thing or a bad thing.

Mashiro has good taste. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Also, don't think I didn't notice miss 'Green haired acquaintance of Watase' in that office shot, even if we only saw the back of her head.

I have to ask: who? I see her in the picture, but why would you think she has a connection to Watase?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Me? When was I ever stem with you...?

This's a little tricky to visually catch.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Oh bullshit game. A cold girl we have no reason to like, know or trust starts living with us and you expect us to just accept her? What's the point of this system then?

Bah okay

Yes, and no comment.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Well, the point of the system, in a way, is to make the main character feel the "right" way about characters in order to have him survive, even if it's not conform with his values up to this point. If it were Watase or Natsuhiko making the decisions, they'd just gently caress up and die, as we've seen many times now. It's up to us to make them not gently caress up, even though their innate desire to gently caress up makes that hard at times.

The game was kind of setting us up for failure here because of exactly what you said, with the goal being to bring us out of the "older Natsuhiko" mindset of keeping our distance and only trusting those we really want to trust (in our case, Mashiro) and into the "young Natsuhiko" mindset of just making friends with everybody.

And it's not like the game wasn't dropping hints. Mashiro was telling us to open up to Salyu at multiple opportunities, and started doing so herself pretty much right off the bat. And had we not ruined our chances with Salyu beforehand - almost certainly at the point where we lost Favor with her during FOR YOU - Yuuri would have done the same during THE PAST AND PRESENT YOU, before the crucial SSS input we never got.

Of course, there's a bit of a problem with this voting system I've got going, in that you can't really change Senses on the fly unless I were to start having voting all the time. Still, I don't think you - as in the thread as a whole - would have trusted Salyu enough.

Overall, I don't think badly of the game for dropping us into a bad end like this, since it serves the goal of having us go through the same process Natsuhiko will be going through. I kind of like that as a way of making us connect with the main character.

...as a complete side note, I didn't encounter a single bad end in Route Before during my playthrough. Apparently, I was a lot more trusting than you guys are.

Interestingly enough, you also apparently weren't trusting enough to unlock the friendship scenes. So you were apparently somewhat trusting but not trusting enough.

Similarly interesting, I got into this bad end by favouring Mashiro over Salyu, even though Salyu was highish as well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Yes, this scene is where you first get the reference to 'sairuiu', or tear rain. It's also a hint to 'Altair' and 'bridge of wings', but the full reference comes later.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

And of course, the flock of magpies pretty much has to be referring to Watase - see also, the extra bit with Yuuri I posted during the chapter Hug. This is the only other time that a name was really brought up as significant, and Salyu seems to be big into names and their meanings.

I have an idea what the thing at the end might be referring to, but if that's true, it's not going to be coming up for a bit. So I'll bring that up when we get there.

I will point out that Salyu's line is specifically referring to the 'bridge of bird wings'.

To make life easier on people, I will say that the answer to Salyu's question at the end of the message won't be possible to answer for a while.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

freshlybaked posted:

Considering Route After ended with a cliffhanger, it's rather certain Route Before will too, then comes a route where they merge. Assuming the structure of the story isn't totally lopsided in Natsuhiko's favour.

I couldn't say which feels more like the 'main' path starting off though, as so far they feel like completely different genres of visual novel. Starting off with the closed and dangerous environment of Route A is definitely ideal though, as was starting with someone as clueless to the world as the player would be.

I will say I enjoyed going from B to A, but going from A to B is definitely the ideal way of doing it. Given people have already noticed and commented on the discrepancy between the amount of endings in each route and the amount of endings overall, it's safe to say that Route B isn't the end.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Explosions posted:

The book Mashiro is talking about is Up The Walls Of The World, about psychic mind-swaps and a military lab studying telepathy.

Huh. Never knew that.

Is the in-shop scene physically impossible to get on a first playthrough, or did it need max Favor?

OddHaberdasher posted:

Also, drat it Ena, your hallucination talk has just confirmed something I was already paranoid about.

By the way, what exactly did you mean here?

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

I assume the in-shop scene is Salyu's friendship scene for the chapter. It's totally possible to get, it just requires perfect Favor management.

That would indeed explain it. On the plus side, it's not connected to any of the other ones so you don't really need it to collect the other friendship scenes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I can vouch for the deliciousness of Chaliapin steak.

This game may or may not have been the reason I tried my hand at making some a little while back.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

High Natsuhiko, top everyone else

And I dunno why the game is being a poo poo to Natsuhiko. Mashiro is in the wrong here. This isn't one of her Japanese animes, terrorism is serious poo poo. Like if she really wanted a confrontation then she should have had a plan. I don't know why Yuuri is giving us a huge loving guilt trip over this, especially since this sort of foolhardiness got us killed in the other route.

I'm glad the game resolved the thing with the couple.

Suffice it to say: Mashiro isn't an idiot. Trust in Mashiron.

Also he's not avoiding dealing with it because it's dangerous, he's avoiding dealing with it because he doesn't want to reach beyond his little bubble.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I dunno, I don't get that vibe myself. Like despite how much we're in Natsuhiko's head he hasn't shown to be much of a wimp and has been level-headed in almost every situation. Like okay he likes his peaceful life but so what? Mashiro is almost autistic in how much she prizes kid-Natsuhiko and doesn't seem to understand or value his feelings despite obviously liking him a lot. Like he's dealing with a PTSD Yuuri and a cold absentee mother who treats him like a lab experiment. I don't blame him for not trying to play hero.
Ah well whatever, we're following the railroad anyway let's just get to the end so we can see what the deal in LABO is. I don't like this route tbh, it's a huge letdown compared to rootAfter. We don't really have choices here so much as we're led by the nose.

I will point out every time he tries to retreat back into his bubble, it's led to a bad end so far. Fail to reach out to Salyu, dead. Fail to trust Salyu, dead. Fail to trust in Mashiro enough, dead.

I will also say that certain points in the route amuse me, and I will be happy to point out why once it's safe.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

(At the very least, it looks like they're serious about the dangerous object... Then assuming there really is a terrorist or whatever... what if Mashiro went to search for them and actually ran into them...? Impossible. Such a stupid coincidence could never happen!)

Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, it stinks of retroactive reasoning - Mashiro was technically right, so obviously Natsuhiko was a cowardly idiot for not running off to fight terrorists. Nevermind that most of the kids end up dying in the LABO disaster anyway.

I will point out that there are still two full days before the explosion at LABO. A lot of things can happen in two days.

• Locked thread