Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Okay, so this is just to summarize what (I think) I know, or can guess, into this post as a starting point.

To start off with, Rokumei City is a "top secret" city which, while exceedingly vague, does not seem to imply good things. I'm getting serious Umbrella vibes off this place. Insofar as we have background information, this seems to be the most important fact, that whatever is going on here is so important (and secret) that only those directly involved in this research, their families and necessary support personnel (such as the most highly trained Hyper Rescue Team Sirius) are living in this city of 200,000.

Given the careful wording of some of the tips, it seems to me that these scientists are in the business of exposing biological materials (possibly including, at the most ethically-challenged level, human beings) to radiation, probably including neutron radiation. They may just be trying to to create anti-radiation serums even better than Alone Desire, or possibly attempting to study the effects of DNA damage, perhaps even attempting to induce beneficial mutations (probably all at once). If humans are being used as test subjects, Yuuri may be among their number.

On to the (speculated) series of events.
1. Explosions everywhere.
2. Hyper Rescue Team Sirius arrives on-scene
3. They divide into two two-man cells, with Captain Kasasagi staying near the surface to command. It appears that the Captain, along with Dojima and Hiyama (whom I will term A team), have a secondary mission, as opposed to Tachibana and Moribe (B team) who seem to only be aware of the stated purpose.
4. At the first sign that A team might require assistance with their mission, the Captain is willing to abandon his command responsibilities, leaving B team without means of communication.
5. A teams mission seems to be at least partially to rescue two specific individuals from the depths of Area N. There seems to be an element of 'atonement' for them in this.
6. They come across what is presumed to be their targets, who have apparently been stabbed to death. They express dismay that they could not accomplish their goal, but express no surprise or confusion about the violent death. Area, considering its later stated purpose, is curiously verdant.
7. Some unknown amount of time later, Kasasagi takes it upon himself to save Yuuri, a 'person of interest' to the lab. He finds her in Area 5, where she does not seem to afraid of him, in contrast to both her later position and outlook.
8. Later, again, he seems to be trying to linkup to A team again, entering an area similar to the earlier 'Area N' including the glass structure near the middle, though with much less greenery. Was the earlier 'Area N' the ground floor, with this one being underground?
9. Kasasagi is attacked by a (man? woman?) in a suit and (red?) tie, referred to thereafter as a 'monster'. The CG seems to show a struggle with the Captain holding a gun in a manner suggesting he had it the whole time, and implying another 'objective' was to kill this monster. A broken wristwatch is worn by the 'monster'. The Captain feels an extraordinary amount of pain in his head, in a manner implying that the 'monster' has psychic powers.
10. Kasasagi flees, attempting to reach somewhere the creatures power cannot reach. He seemingly fails, and suffers a trauma that renders him unconscious and gives him amnesia.

TL;DR I think we were the bad guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

But what about we turn this conclusion on its head? You figure that Watase is a bad guy, but consider this: You've already compared LABO/Rokumei City to Umbrella, so why not accept that as a reasonable comparison. With that, we also accept that human experimentation is probably happening there. And of course, any attempts by test subjects to flee would be dealt with by use of lethal force. So what if Watase was trying to save the test subjects from LABO? That would explain why he had a gun - he'd be expecting some sort of a firefight breaking out with security once his cover is blown. Maybe the "monster" was such because of experimentation by LABO, and he was only acting in self defense? There's quite a few ways to interpret everything.

I agree with all that you say, my initial impression being that he was sent (by the government?) to 'cover up' the experiments. However, it is hard to see how any of them could see this sort of thing as a chance to 'atone' rather 'something that has to be done' even if the potential research was potentially vital, assuming this was a cover up and not a rescue attempt.
Further, it occurs to me that the wounds on the scientists, while initially referred to as stab wounds, look closer to gunshots. Perhaps they were silenced whistle-blowers, or perhaps Team A wished to bring them in to testify, and they resisted?
This still does not answer the strange distancing of Yuuri from Watase, though explanations can be made from it in either case (realized he wanted to bring her back to scientists/shot someone in process of rescuing her?).
Now there's also Ena, who has a sketchy reason to be here, who somehow found herself stuck in Level 2, when one would think an unrelated civilian would be lucky to enter level 1, and whom Yuuri seemed to know was a 'professor' (though I am willing to consider this a lucky guess).

TL;DR I am loving this

EDIT: After reviewing the prologue, Team A head into a child's bedroom after they arrive at 'Area N' (thanks for catching that, tiistai). Then the dead scientists are shown as someone says "why did this have to happen?", with the 'Case N' announcement shortly thereafter. While it raises questions about whether Yuuri, among others, is a Case N, if this is the case it clears things up some. This theory, in light of what A team says, assumes a general benevolence in their actions, as well as Yuuri (and the 'monster') being either the only 'case N', or simply the most valuable. I try to extrapolate only from what we have seen 'on-screen'.

New Theory:
A Team, while tracking down the 'Case N' child, come across scientists. It may be that these scientists were attempting to save the children, and there was a misunderstanding, or they were simply evacuating them to preserve their use, or even disposing of them. Regardless, violence proved necessary, with the Case N's scattering in fear as A team lament the necessity of their murderous action, causing the automated systems to come online to prevent their escape.
After discovering the location of Yuuri, Watase heads there, possibly shedding his hazard suit due to Yuuri last seeing people wearing that suit engaged in shooting people. At some point, she realizes his identity, and actions, thus explaining her later reaction (or it is possible the 'monster' attacked the scientists, especially given it's implied involvement with the explosions, and she simply harbors a suspicion that they will hand her over).
While attempting to regroup, he is attacked by a creature with a power he cannot understand and is forced to attempt to use his gun to defend himself, before realizing the futility of his actions and beating a retreat. The motives of his attacker, while unknown, are (in this version of events) likely rooted in the belief he was sent to 'clean up' LABO.

TL;DR I'm at least 65% wrong, aren't I? Also, I write too much.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 13, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I really am enjoying the running gag of people disbelieving his amnesia, shame there are only so many more people to hear it from...

Ukita raises many questions though. On a lack of evidence (hard or spurious) to believe otherwise, I'll go with the idea that he is innocent for now. Mainly due to his (relative) lack of rank to what I'd consider to be shady folk (5th level or above, with 4th being in my imagining enough to know of hypothetical human volunteers, but not knowing exactly how voluntary their participation was). Not to mention that one would think corrupt types would try to save their skin instead of organize evacuation. The fact that keeping him safe also allowed the Captain (what I will term pre-amnesia Watase) to swipe a shiny security card for insurance against lockdown was a fringe benefit. While his hesitance could be a clue to wrongdoing, I believe it would of a minor sort if it were the case (Embezzling, tampering with the recording to omit evidence of such etc.). All this may change depending on what is on the recording.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
My reaction to BC :dogbutton: At least they introduced it early, I suppose....

Now, the revelation that, Yuuri aside, every single one of these kids was known to our subordinates, and recently, means that it is extremely unlikely that they were part of unethical experimentation unless they were grabbed for such extremely soon before the accident(also unlikely). On the other hand, we now know what sort of thing LABO was (maybe) trying to accomplish, TK and teleportation may be myths but monsters are too....

The likeliest sequence is now that the Captain and Cell A (Now that Team B is actually a thing) found out about the children and sought to rescue them, with no premeditation, to atone for a prior incident. But then how did those scientists die? Who 'lied' to them?

Finally, if BC laws are a thing regarding "secret cities" It may be that BC, being a real, mainstream thing, has some way to counteract it or limit it's spread, to avoid facilities like LABO having all it's research stolen. Can't otherwise see what sort of (enforceable) laws one can put around telepathy, unless the presence of a telepath is obvious.

BASELESS SPECULATION: A trio of children (all in school uniforms as opposed to Yuuri's getup) go wandering into places they Should Not Be, learning things they Should Not Know about experiments to (Induce? Manipulate?) esper-type abilities through radiation, when explosions start happening (perhaps a temporary elevation of powers due to fear of death? "Inspiration can only be acquired through real danger" or however that 999 quote went?). Sirius comes in, the Captain is 'lied to' about the location of the kids he sees in CCTV recordings by Ukita, something something something, final showdown with super esper (possibly Natsuhiko having gone temporarily insane for some reason?). I don't really have anything, that last update hulled everything I had :shrug:

As for the Sense Enneagram, going strictly by what Watase has seen, not dubious meta knowledge, I reckon Ukita should be Upper, as while our nominal subordinates may have more experience than us (for now), he actually has some knowledge of this facility and we can worry about any lies he may tell us later, when survival is not a major concern. Ena should be Lower because her stated reasons for being here are sketchy and Watase just doesn't seem to like her so far. Yuuri, Natsuhiko and the other children should be Top Priority, both because of the vital importance of BC potentialin this crisis, but mainly because Watase seems to abhor the idea of children being in danger and seems to connect better with the less mature members of the group on a personal level.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

We only learn this later, but it's kind of important and doesn't facilitate any twist or anything like that, so I'll just tell you now: BC depends on both natural aptitude and acquired aptitude. Natural aptitude is just something that happens, and it's absolute. You either have the necessary aptitude to use BC or you don't. However, just having that aptitude doesn't mean you can use BC either, because you need to practice it a lot to get actually good with it.

I presume that this statement means that Yuuri has some natural aptitude, but never practiced and therefore can't use BC.

Now, I don't know what kids these days are like in a world where telepathy is old hat, but either Yuuri was extremely sheltered, or she only got the 'aptitude' recently, because if I learned I had any kind of psychic type powers, you can bet I would practice it everyday. In other words conspiracy theory intensifies.

TheMcD posted:

Get used to that feeling, by the way.
I thoroughly plan to :)

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Junpei posted:

Two things I'd like to ask:

One: Will we ever get to choose Watase's own trust level in this route?

I'd imagine we will, when it becomes a potentially life or death matter, though who knows when that will be.

Junpei posted:

Two: The Before route is not these events from Natsuhiko's perspective, right?
From the description, the route might have different perspectives on these events, though the meat of the route seems to be the flashbacks to whatever happened before this mess.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This update didn't really answer or pose any questions, so I'll just post about my opinions of the characters.

First, Ukita. I really felt sorry for him in this update, you could just see in his face when Watase asked about the prevention system that he knew this would not go over well. In light of my earlier theory, his mention of many surveillance tapes being destroyed is suspicious, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Ena, well, if I said I wouldn't react much the same in her shoes I'd probably be lying. Still, she was annoying this update.

Another thing that jumped out at me was that AD was produced by LABO, and not some other group. One of my initial thoughts, back before the Beyond Communication thing got brought up, was that LABO was using human experimentation to 'cut corners' in an attempt to make a breakthrough and one up the competition. While such a cynical motivation may still be applicable, the fact they were already 'on top of the game' leads me to ascribe a more idealistic, though still reprehensible, outlook to management. Assuming I'm right, of course.

Finally, I leave with this observation:

Overly long technical description? Psychic phenomena? NANOMACHINES??!!

Could it be?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
While 'plot amnesia' is always a possibility, I am increasingly seeing the plausibility of the 'mind-swap' theory. This theory may end up holding more weight depending on what Natsuhiko (currently top suspect for the 'monster') is like, in terms of personality.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Warning, Wall of Text confirmed!

Welp, murderer confirmed! My attention is piqued. One thing I will note is that, despite their being bullet holes the boxes Dojima is next to, the bodies that are not him are facing away from him with bullets in their back. Dojima himself is blood covered, with what appears to be a twisted neck, and no bullet holes (though whether that means he wasn't shot, or we can't see them for the blood, or that he was shot in the front and then had his neck broken, will be determined shortly).

As for the opening, an antagonistic relationship between Natsuhiko and Watase (or at least The Captain) is seemingly confirmed. I will also note, in regards to the mental dissonance others seem to have picked up on, that Watase ("Don't worry...I'll save you. You can count on that.") and Natsuhiko ("Self righteousness just leads to danger") seem to have distinctly different personalities.

Here I'll put down some things in the video, in order of appearance
Watase Kasasagi (A man who has lost his memories) A: "Don't worry...I'll save you. You can count on that." B: NO DATA. Type 5: The Investigator
Natsuhiko Tenkawa (A boy bound to the past) A: NO DATA B: "Self righteousness just leads to danger." Type 7: The Enthusiast
Yuuri Kotono (A girl who doesn't belong anywhere) A: "I don't know what to believe anymore." B: DATA CORRUPTED ("Hey, what about you? Do you think") Type 9: The Peacemaker
Mashiro Toba (A devoted childhood friend) A: NO DATA B: "Well, if our voices couldn't re(ach?) _____ directly appeal to his heart, if you catch my drift?" Type 2: The Helper
Louise Yui Sannomiya "Salyu" (A noble yet mysterious girl) A: "Don't get any closer." B: "I was sent here to protect you, after all" Type 4: The Individualist
Kazami Tachibana (A cool and collected partner) A: "Our mission is to ensure everyone leaves in one piece. So please" B: "I understood. Please stand back; it's too dangerous." Type 6: The Loyalist
Jun Moribe (A fiery buddy) A: "(Don't)cha know, Captain? They call that the buddy (system?)" B: "(I wan)ted to be the hero who saves people." Type 8: The Challenger
Ena Tsubakiyama (An aggressive and intelligent teacher) A: "Don't be an idiot!, If there's traces of a fire, that's all the more reason to be searching" B: "As a teacher, there's no way I can approve of students (putting) themselves into danger, can I?" Type 3: The Acheiver
Keiji Ukita (A perfectionist and honest researcher) A: "Go ahead and laugh. I know it's fragile justice. B(ut?)" B: "But no matter what happens, promise me: you (ki?)" Type 1: The Reformer

Denial Syndrome, Communicator, BC Misuse Act, Dark Energy, Information Energy, Betelgeuse, Maxwell's Demon, Charles Bonnet, Accelerating Universe

"Reality" soon becomes memories
Memories change shape and distort the "truth"
The distorted "truth" seizes the "real" you and never lets go.
When these two dissimilar souls meet by chance, their "memories" begin to reveal the cruel truth

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Speaking of the strange, unknown effects of the AD and other things, I wonder if AD is intended to reinforce a specific 'belief' of what happened by making it easier to convince others of what you say. Just fixating on the 'memory' thing mentioned in the opening. Now to google some of the terms, like Maxwell's Demon.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
If you're not 100% completing the game (I'm not complaining, leaving decisions up to us and then contorting things so as to see everything would be rather missing the point), will you come back at the end of the A story?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, you're not going to 100% this playthrough, which I understand (no point leaving decisions to us if you're going to show us everything anyway), but I'm wondering if, when we're at the True end of this route or the B route, whether you will show us 'what we missed'.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I'm willing to go with the above on this one. As for everything else, well, the only person we know to have a gun was the Captain, and the bullet holes we see seem to be entry wounds, so it seems that they were not at all prepared for Cell A clearing house and being shot in the back. Obviously whatever/whoever was attacking the Captain has it in for Cell A, if not everyone in general. Ukita not knowing the effects of half a dose of LABO's most well known product is incredibly fishy, though the fact that he seems to have been the sole scientist spared does put him in a brighter light. I reckon, given the captain survived being in what I speculate to be Area N (because where else would the climactic confrontation with the 'monster have been?) for some time, fled in a blind panic and then fell unconscious for some time, assuming the radiation is real he can take more than most. If not real, then it is possible insisting on taking the half dose could lead to Kazami letting something slip, assuming she is a guilty party. Ena immediately jumping to the 'you're saying my students were killers' is also odd.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Totally wrong gridlocked, though I will grant that it is a masterfully written red herring. When we take off the monster's mask, I guarantee we will find Dojima's face. The wound on his neck could easily be self inflicted by one with medical training, such as a member of a Hyper Rescue Team (I adore this thread just for letting me find that particular gem), and none of his limbs is bent in a way that would be out of place for someone who knows how to dislocate his limbs. As for the fingers, well, if movies and games have taught me anything, its that you can just snap those back into place, good as new.

EDIT: So apparently, if these bonuses unlock epilogues, it looks like you ARE going to have to go back and get all of them McD. :D

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 27, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So far this has been a very entertaining, and informative, LP, but I think that the Senses system is a bit of a misstep. It's an interesting change on the formula of a VN, but with most other VN's you at least know what your character will (try) to do, and if you fail then it's a (usually) rational result of the action your character was trying to take. Here it's just all over the place. Does make for interesting voting, I will give it that.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Given what Logic and Glazius have both said, I can't help but believe we're actually on a full speed course for a Dead End, even if this is completely at odds with how this game has operated so far.

EDIT: On second thought, this might be a spot where a bonus scene plays out, though that again doesn't seem right.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 30, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So, here is me, having just gotten off a trip around evangelion fanfics when "Brain Cell Supercomputer":stare:

"The three control systems, Solone, Deux, and Tria, perform constant mutual surveillance on each other":stonk:

:Remembers Beyond Communication, by which the human mind, possibly the greatest computing device in the world, can telepathically communicate.:stonklol:

I think we have our villain plot, guys. Or else, merely one layer in the sinfully delicious cake these guys seem to be baking.

Also, Yuuri again remains suspicious (in the 'what does everyone want with her' way, though I suppose he could have meant 'Yui'), the voice is seemingly confirmed to be the mysterious aggressor (or closely related), and if Watase was here on some kind of a rescue mission then either he failed to get that across to the people he was trying to rescue or they have serious doubts about his methods. Assuming 'Yui' isn't against us for some entirely different reason.

EDIT: Also, for a group of high-schoolers that are not confirmed to have Procyons, and who would likely have little idea on the proper usage of AD, they seem to be doing quite well for themselves.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 30, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I reckon that Jun should be Max, Watase High and Tachibana Middle. This seems to be the best way of ensuring we help, as Jun seems to be in favor of our helping. I'm probably wrong about this. Such is life in the Zone.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The main thing that irks me about this is there is very little 'reason in advance' for how a given choice seems to work. Some are intuitive (when we saved Yuuri, we had to give Watase misgivings about his ability and let Moribe handle it.), but these early, 'easy' decisions have given us impressions that turn out to be mistaken.
Using the above as an example, the way we picked for Watase originally would have been the way to go, with low sense meaning he would listen and high sense meaning he would get careless and follow his gut to try and get more supplies. This was wrong.
Just now, in an example that made sense with both the 'original' and 'slightly updated' versions of our understanding, we decided to have Watase and Jun's sense high, and Kazami's low, with the idea that we would get to help them (maybe, we thought, the difference between whether Watase or Jun's trust is higher could give us a favor point). Instead, contrary to both of the above examples, not having an arbitrary amount of trust in Kazami means Watase goes upstairs, where as if her sense was higher (even to the point it was the highest sense, which in both the above examples would mean we listen to her), Watase would, presumably, summon his pre-amnesia charisma out of nowhere and Teamwork his way to victory.
We thought that, while for other people it represented 'trust' or 'a willingness to listen', here Watase's sense meant 'self-confidence' or 'how cocky is he feeling right now' or something like that. Evidently, we were wrong. Instead, we know nothing of what Watase's sense means. That is our grievance.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I guess that maybe I, and others, may be overstating our frustrations. Fedule's LP had similar issue's with Schrodinger's Betrayals, but I still enjoyed it (though I came in after it 'finished'). A lot of frustration for this sort of thing tends to come early, until you've Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bad End. :) Like you say, we tend to be more invested because, well, decisions like this when playing tend to be a 'wait what? Hah hah hah, let me do that again' while here it's 'Will Watase trust his erstwhile teamates about AD? Or will he throw himself off a staircase in a fit of paranoia? Find out tomorrow! Or the Day After!'. Honestly, the frustrations will die down (probably) but the laughs will remain. Though this initial sense of frustration is one of the main reasons why, for example, F/SN is not a slog, despite its length, in my opinion. Nothing to take the sting out of failure than a visit to the Strange Hint Corner, Tiger Dojo! But I digress.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate, the rest of us will likely come around

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 4, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Watase Medium Thus far it seems to be a pattern that slowly gaining more confidence in ourselves has helped us, so this should be a good default.

Jun Top Because she has been a real help to us and, because of our choices, Watase seems to 'click' with her most often.

Kazami High A member of our team, very capable and trustworthy, yet Watase doesn't seem to quite be on the same page with her as Jun.

Yuuri High By far the least capable of our band, the one most in need of protection, especially given that our psychic PAIN voices want her safe.

Ukita Medium Nothing but helpful, but Watase doesn't seem to care too much for him. Still, his expertise makes him worth listening to.

Ena Low Everything she says and does has been entirely reasonable for a stressed person in a crisis to do, but she seems to have the unfortunate habit of pissing Watase (and us) off.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

Ukita is a shady motherfucker and we should have kept an eye on him. He probably just hosed up the sprinkler system while we weren't looking.

He didn't last time, and that was when we left him completely unattended instead of having a discussion with him. Also, yet more circumstantial evidence for the 'We're really someone else' crowd in that conversation.

Also, yet another example of 'bizarrely old looking (by the standards of anime) thirty-something year olds'. Seriously, if you have grey hair by the time you're thirty five, you have no business calling someone who vaguely looks their age out on calling you an old man.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

To further the human experiments assumption: Why the hell would a research facility have a fully stocked infirmary with stuff like blood for transfusions. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be required for regular old research, even nuclear research.

Not to betray my gross lack of knowledge of radiation symptoms, but I am aware that it has negative effects on your blood (white blood cell count due to bone marrow damage? Leukemia?), so the idea that someone in an accident may need a transfusion seems legit to me (not that much else in this place does).

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

For that matter how do the kids know they need AD? Or that there's a radiation leak?

Well, I'm going to assume that they have a Procyon, and that AD comes with a little packet thing that says "take this when exposed to radiation or die". Or maybe all they have is a vague recollection of radiation symptoms from some textbook, coupled that they are in a nuclear research facility, and the reason there's so little AD is that they're treating it like aspirin, just taking it when they feel a headache like Tachibana.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Top Yuuri, High Watase

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Watase: Top
Cell B: High
Yuuri: High
Ukita: Medium
Ena: Low
Those meddling kids: Medium

We've been getting to the point that having Watase higher is good more often than not, the rescue team has been nothing but trustworthy (plus we need to finish the Jun scenes), we need to regain Yuuri's trust, Ukita seems to have something going on (but appears to have his heart in the right place), I've never trusted Ena, and those kids have caused a lot of bother and are getting more suspicious by the minute.

In non-voting news, while I'm sure it has already been noted, it was interesting that when Watase had his headache after catching up with Yuuri, his thoughts intermingled with the 3rd-person narration. Also, it appears that the fuzzy image of the showdown with the 'monster' has him holding the gun, as opposed to the intro which depicted Watase with the weapon (though that was a significantly less fuzzy image). EDIT: On reviewing, that was just a flawed analysis based on an unclear image. Watase was going to shoot first.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 26, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
In hindsight, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have let my irrational dislike of Ena distract me from the Real Suspicious Guy.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh poo poo, NOW we gettin' to da reel pseudoscience ma bois. Is it possible that this thing they were trying to do would be trying to make a 'consciousness without form' sort of thing? Or maybe a 'groupmind'? Or, or, if we gonna REALLY get with the crazy, maybe CirclMastr was right.

Think about it: Information is dark matter, so it is constantly expanding the universe. This means information doesn't decrease, it is always increasing. In the game, science can now devise ways of interacting with the information field without needing to rely on intermediaries, or at least attempt to. Finally, 'memories' are explicitly 'fragments of information' making up the informational field we call consciousness.
Conclusion: LABO is conducting experiments to bring back the 'information' of dead people back into a consciousness, therefore, ghosts.

EDIT: My god, we aren't getting irradiated,we're getting inundated with ectoplasmic energy!

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 27, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

What if we, the (let's) players, are the psychic thing controlling him? And that's how come we can change his trust in people on a dime.

While probably true, that's too boring and predictable.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Danaru posted:

Aw beans I hope Watase wasn't a Wesker style LABO plant sent in to dispose of the Communicators and shot all those dudes/that kid before getting dunked into the morphogenetic field and being taken over by whoever we are now :(

Given that he responds to (what seems to be) one of the kids in the prologue by attacking him and calls him a monster, and then just now (when he started thinking about it) made that exact same word choice when thinking about the possibility of mind-readers.....

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
But, if that's the case, why is it that in the flashbacks we've seen so far (and considered to be true for lack of other options), when Watase first met Yuuri he learned her identity and then gave her directions to safety? It'd be one thing if the flashbacks stopped at the point he learned her name, but he actively, if not saved her, then put her in a situation to save herself (pretty sure that's how it happened, have not gone back to check). Meddling Kids confirmed for Meddling, Ena's 'school trip' story refuted.

TL;DR My Sense for Watase is still high

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Unless the flashbacks are lying to us (perfectly possible given what we know, but sticking to the simplest explanation possible), then Watase came across Yuuri, addressed her by name and mentioned how she was important to the people in charge of the facility, then did not gun her down and instead directed her to an exit, which would have been open as the lockdown had not gone into effect. This does not fit the hypothesis of anti-BC terrorists. If they were cleaners for those in charge, it makes more sense (the elevator girl simply wasn't as useful as Yuuri, or at least not enough to be worth the hassle) but why would Watase do such things for LABO when he seems to detest the concept of what they were likely trying to do?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

(It feels like there's an ''invisible enemy'' that's attacking us...!)

This must be the work of an enemy [Stand]!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I will admit, even I was beginning to believe my distrust of Ena was irrational, but I am vindicated!

Gridlocked posted:

Can we set Ena to 10 now please? I'm intimidated by her gun.

Meh, we can take her. I mean, assuming she had the gun for a while now, she could have used it at any time but she didn't. But she could've!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:raise: Somehow I don't think guns are part of her regular lesson plan... Sure she probably didn't off anybody in the plant with that pistol, but what else is she packing? A clip of sub-machine gun ammo wouldn't bust people's limbs like that but it could put plenty of holes in three of them.

While I am reserving the right to cast undeserved suspicion on her, you have seen what she's wearing right? I can barely believe she was hiding the pistol as it is.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
:monocle::aaa::aaaaa:
So, lets go over this pages revelations from the top, shall we?

First of all, the gun. It does not look like it has the shape of Watase's gun, though the times we saw it were unclear. Also, if Teach is to be believed, she found it when we were checking the last girl to be murdered, so unless Watase is much thinner than he looks under that suit and has his own, he is not the murderer.

Second is.....the computer. First of all it seemingly confirms two things: that LABO was about using nuclear energy and other means to genetically engineer something in test subjects (so it probably is radiation we're worrying about here), and that 'Case N' meant an escape attempt by a test subject. There are 4 test subjects (A,N,Y and Y-2). Of them, A died somehow and nothing else is mentioned. N is fine. Both of the previous inherited Type S Gene abnormalities hereditarily. Y had Gene abnormalities type 4, with attempts to mutate with WX particles failing, leading the experimenters to wipe memory and 'discard' it, reclassifying as a 'Special Observation Target' to ensure memory erasure stuck. Unfortunately (for the researchers) the 'Retirement' Curse struck and LABO had an accident/attack when they had one day to go. Y-2 seems to have been promising, as it Acquired it's Type S instead of Inheriting it, presumably through WX mutation or other factors.

There are 3 Special Observation Targets and two Observation Targets (Na, Na2, Yu, Ka and Ma). Of them all, Yu can be ignored as this is the day before the release. Na seems to have been abducted and turned into Subject N in 2021 (busy year huh? Two dead, one a kid, after an LABO arson incident, with radiation rumoured involved. Perhaps this mysterious Na was brought in to replace the mysterious and mysteriously dead A. On an entirely unrelated note, I wonder what Kazami's sister was like). Na2 seems to be ongoing and, interestingly, seems to have Acquired their Type S, though there seems to be no mention as to how he ('he' is used as a generic reference) could have, when all the mutagens are presumably locked tight in LABO (I wonder if he was around 9 years ago?). The Observation Target Ka has an inherited Type D abnormality but seems almost unrelated. Ma has a inherited Type B (Yu gets numbers the rest are letters?) with a note to consider an irradiation test on him (the goal seems to be Type S, so perhaps his B made him promising?).

Then flashbacks consisting of: Salyu (or one who looks like her) looking through some glass? A computer on some page aaaaaand a creepy white haired and red eyed girl in something strapping her down either looking up at something or dead.

Finally....Yuuri. I don't know what else to say. The wound on her head wasn't a climbing accident. This was foul play.

These are the facts. What you make of them is your own decision.

EDIT: I messed up, the Yu subject was released on Sep 10th, while today is Sep 16th so they've been out for nearly a week.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 3, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Since most of the people who have posted so far seem hung up on the clone hypothesis, I'll just point out there are two Yu's in the cast.....

EDIT: Well, on second thought, there's only one now.....

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 3, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

WATASE YOU loving MORON!!

rip moribe :(

Nah, he'll have to kill Kazami first, whereupon hopefully Watase will get what's what and beat his rear end. Don't get me wrong, I like Kazami, but there's a reason why Moribe has consistently been in the top 3 since the beginning.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh my god, when I scrolled down to those faces.....

So, let me get this straight, our buddy Jun just did that, and our only ally in this is now ENA!? Goddamnit.... Now who the hell do we trust?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Remember the days when people were saying things like "I might enjoy this more as a rescue procedural than anything else"? I remember them. They were simpler times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This might be pure coincidence, but going off the 'mental interference' hypothesis, of the three people who were not affected Kazami is the most interesting. Ena was mentioned by Salyu to have 'closed off her heart' (whatever that means) and at this point it's probably safe to say the only reason Watase isn't under the (hypothetical) control of this person, is because he's probably already under the control of someone else. Kazami though, with her 'radio call' and all, it seems like the pieces are falling into place. I wonder how long that feeling will last.

• Locked thread