Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you Motion Interpolation?
Yes and I am a giant dumbass
No because I am smart and cool
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

You know, that setting on your TV that makes everything look like a 1980s soap opera. You are a bad person if you use this fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Use it? I masturbate to it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dont have a TV :smugdog:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i dont have a TV :smugdog:

I stole his TV. :ninja:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
sony vegas defaults to leaving motion interpolation on, and im willing to guess other editing software does this too. they call it 'frame blending' though.

there are plenty of edited and re-uploaded videos on youtube with HD or 1080p-60 that you can clearly see worse compression artifacts (from downloading a youtube video, re-encoding it, and re-uploading it to get re-encoded again for like 6-7 layers of compression) on top of the hosed up frame blending that blends the MPEG artifacts together. but hey, it's 1080p and 60 frames per second :grin:

some people also use it for their crappy 10 FPS cell phone videos to try and squeeze a little bit of smoothness out of it but that just looks worse as the half blended frames are there for like a full quarter second which is enough for your brain to clearly see it and recognize it as a blended frame

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

nigga crab pollock posted:

sony vegas defaults to leaving motion interpolation on, and im willing to guess other editing software does this too. they call it 'frame blending' though.

there are plenty of edited and re-uploaded videos on youtube with HD or 1080p-60 that you can clearly see worse compression artifacts (from downloading a youtube video, re-encoding it, and re-uploading it to get re-encoded again for like 6-7 layers of compression) on top of the hosed up frame blending that blends the MPEG artifacts together. but hey, it's 1080p and 60 frames per second :grin:

some people also use it for their crappy 10 FPS cell phone videos to try and squeeze a little bit of smoothness out of it but that just looks worse as the half blended frames are there for like a full quarter second which is enough for your brain to clearly see it and recognize it as a blended frame

I'm going to go with what this guy says. I've never heard of this poo poo.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
there is p much no good use case for frame blending as far as i can tell. at best its a lovely crutch to make your standard-def cable TV football look like slightly less poo poo

not baseball, or basketball, or racing, or any other sport that isn't on a mostly green field with a few things occasionally moving around at the same speed, basically only football

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i loving hate this technology so much i threw out my tv and cancelled my cable
this is a true story

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Motion interpolation is good because you can watch 3D stuff without getting a headache

It is also good because it can make console games that are locked to 30fps look and play much smoother with a minor penalty to latency

And it is good because you can have fast motion in a brightly lit room without flickering or juddering

The only situation when it is bad is when it reveals crappy special effects, bad acting and cheap tricks in movies. Hollywood LOVES darkness, film grain, blur and low framerates because it makes it easy for them to hide papier mache props and rubber suit monsters. Frame interpolation makes all that stand out like a sore thumb.
But really the solution is to make better movies, not to make crappier televisions.

It should always be optional though for those times it doesn't work well, it sucks that it is usually buried several levels deep in menus instead of being on a dedicated button.

But you play PC games at 120hz and 144hz, why the hell would you still want to watch video at 24hz? It's not 1930 anymore!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hertz, donut :smuggo:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a suburban dad, check out my high def TV that I use to watch SD broadcasts of Fox News with the aspect ratio stretched out to fit the 16:9 format.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i like making everything on my tv look like an episode of 'newhart' and you should too

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I first heard of this when my dad got a new 4K TV and everything looked like loving poo poo because of the "motion processing" which even seemed like it varied in intensity so stuff was speed up, slow down, speed up :psyduck:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i guess you could say i dont "fit in", i dont "play by the rules", i dont "use interpolations" or "understand" when people "explain things" to me.

you could also say i don't "smell good" or "brush my teeth". i'm not "funny" and people dont "like me" or "respect" me.

im not afraid to tell you i've worn the "same underwear" for "a week and a half", or that my "body" is covered with "thick black hair" and an uncountable number of "warts, lesions and sores".

i'll "beeble" right "back"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

r u ready to WALK posted:

Motion interpolation is good because you can watch 3D stuff without getting a headache

It is also good because it can make console games that are locked to 30fps look and play much smoother with a minor penalty to latency

And it is good because you can have fast motion in a brightly lit room without flickering or juddering

The only situation when it is bad is when it reveals crappy special effects, bad acting and cheap tricks in movies. Hollywood LOVES darkness, film grain, blur and low framerates because it makes it easy for them to hide papier mache props and rubber suit monsters. Frame interpolation makes all that stand out like a sore thumb.
But really the solution is to make better movies, not to make crappier televisions.

It should always be optional though for those times it doesn't work well, it sucks that it is usually buried several levels deep in menus instead of being on a dedicated button.

But you play PC games at 120hz and 144hz, why the hell would you still want to watch video at 24hz? It's not 1930 anymore!

I barely understand your rant, but I see you want to change my tv remote and I don't support that.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

JiveHonky posted:

i guess you could say i dont "fit in", i dont "play by the rules", i dont "use interpolations" or "understand" when people "explain things" to me.

you could also say i don't "smell good" or "brush my teeth". i'm not "funny" and people dont "like me" or "respect" me.

im not afraid to tell you i've worn the "same underwear" for "a week and a half", or that my "body" is covered with "thick black hair" and an uncountable number of "warts, lesions and sores".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

how do I turn this off in Vegas

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Um, because it looks like poo poo is literally a computer making guesses about what might look like a good intermediate between 2 images. High motion scenes with patterning visuals are laughably bad. You'll get scenes of motion with fences glitching out because they are being poorly clone stamped.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Literally every time I go home I gotta find my dad's remote and figure out how to turn that poo poo off I don't understand how some people are just like immune to seeing how loving distracting it is.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I can't vote no and also goku. :(

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

JiveHonky posted:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Um... no. I disagree.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

artificially stocked lake posted:

Um... no. I disagree.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
It's bad.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I watched an animated movie off a plain jane DVD on my parent's spiffy 4K TV and it must have been doing interpolation because it looked weird as hell, way more fluid than you would expect, but in a way that was somehow good. Maybe Disney type animation benefits from it?

When I see the TVs at the store playing live action stuff the blending makes things look like a stage play that you're watching through a window. Or like warpy garbage on the cheapy cheap sets.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
scrotion

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wulfolme posted:

I watched an animated movie off a plain jane DVD on my parent's spiffy 4K TV and it must have been doing interpolation because it looked weird as hell, way more fluid than you would expect, but in a way that was somehow good. Maybe Disney type animation benefits from it?

When I see the TVs at the store playing live action stuff the blending makes things look like a stage play that you're watching through a window. Or like warpy garbage on the cheapy cheap sets.

Watch anime at your own hovel?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Frame interlace in an edit suite and interpolation on your TV are very different things.

For the goon who asked how to turn it off in Vegas:make sure your project settings are progressive rather than interlaced (framerate should end with a p not an i like 30p not 50i) but you should match the footage you are working with. If you shoot it interlaced, cut it interlaced.

Lol at the idea turning on interpolation lets you see Hollywood's shameful secrets. The TV inserts an extra frame that it makes up on it's own by moving the image halfway between where it was in the previous frame and where it will be in the following.

This is dumbed down as heck but it's at least correct.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Frame interlace in an edit suite and interpolation on your TV are very different things.

For the goon who asked how to turn it off in Vegas:make sure your project settings are progressive rather than interlaced (framerate should end with a p not an i like 30p not 50i) but you should match the footage you are working with. If you shoot it interlaced, cut it interlaced.

Lol at the idea turning on interpolation lets you see Hollywood's shameful secrets. The TV inserts an extra frame that it makes up on it's own by moving the image halfway between where it was in the previous frame and where it will be in the following.

This is dumbed down as heck but it's at least correct.

scrotion

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Eventually Peter Jackson and James Cameron will be forcing us all to watch movies in slipperyvision.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
I recently got a panicked email from my wife who was up a a friend's cottage. They were watching a movie and she wanted to know why it looked "like a soap opera" and her and her friends were unable to tolerate this much longer.

Fun times doing tech support on an unknown brand of TV via text message

Why is this poo poo ON by default???

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dev286 posted:

I recently got a panicked email from my wife who was up a a friend's cottage. They were watching a movie and she wanted to know why it looked "like a soap opera" and her and her friends were unable to tolerate this much longer.

Fun times doing tech support on an unknown brand of TV via text message

Why is this poo poo ON by default???

Because it s more eye-catching on the sales floor

The same reason most tvs have hosed up color out of the box

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I first heard of this when my dad got a new 4K TV and everything looked like loving poo poo because of the "motion processing" which even seemed like it varied in intensity so stuff was speed up, slow down, speed up :psyduck:

Depending on the TV and the type of processing, it actually sort of is. Some methods use a 2/3/2 model where a single frame from a 24fps source is stretched across 2 displayed frames, then the next across 3, then the next across 2, and so on, because the ratio between 60Hz and 24 fps is 2.5.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I doubt I would recognize this if I saw it OP.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Is this like the degauss button or something?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Feminasty Slut posted:

Is this like the degauss button or something?

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It makes thing s "look like a soap opera"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
People fall into two camps on frame interpolation- those who can't stand it, and those who don't know what it is.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I love motion interpolation because it makes David Lean's oeuvre look like it was shot on a cheap camcorder from 1987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

canpakes posted:

I doubt I would recognize this if I saw it OP.

sorry about your lovely eyes

• Locked thread