Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
TRUE FACTS AS OF ONE TAMRIEL:

- Unlike every other modern MMO, race matters A LOT. Do your research up front. It's hard to go wrong with Redguard for Stamina builds or Dark/High Elf for Magicka builds.

- Magicka builds are typically much weaker than Stamina builds and are generally much more difficult to play effectively at the same level. The lead design has confirmed in a reddit AMA that Stam/Magic balance will change in the patch after 1T, but based on his track record it will probably result in Stamina getting heavily buffed.

- The only really effective Magicka build right now is Magicka Templar (Magplar), and they are based entirely on spamming one skill that needs to be nerfed. Meanwhile, every class has an effective Stamina build.

- Avoid things written by Delita. Alcast is pretty smart, his site is at http://alcasthq.com/

- Don't put stat points in Health, ever.

- Very little is missable in the game. The EP newbie island (Bleakrock) has an achievement you can miss if you evacuate early, and you will permanently miss two skill points if you're *not* a dick at the end of the Mage's Guild quest line. That's all I can think of, though.

- Raids are called Trials. Instanced dungeons are called Dungeons. Non-instanced sorta-dungeons are called Public Dungeons. Hastily slapped together McDungeons like from Oblivion are called Delves. McDungeons inexplicably full of elite mobs are called Group Delves.

boho fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Blazing Zero posted:

is the pvp a hot mess of lag and stuttering like most of these zerg v zerg games are?

how much of this game is botted and abused by cheat engines

Depends on how much of a potato your computer/connection is.

It's barely abused at all as far as I can tell. I don't know if I've ever seen RMT spam. I just assume it's not profitable enough to exploit compared to, say, WoW.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tgidieday posted:

The twitch hivemind keeps repeating this, but it's overblown.

Sure, if you're a dragonknight, the difference is enormous. But if you're comparing the best magicka and stamina builds from all classes, the difference is only about 10-15%. And most of that is because major/minor breach and concentration debuff veteran/trial boss resists to zero, making additional debuffs useless on a magicka build. If you're not running in a group with one guy in alkosh, another in night mother, etc., you're really not going to notice the difference even in endgame content.

Oh you sweet summer child, no one's talking about PvE balance.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tgidieday posted:

Please stop killing me with your magplar, don't you know about balance?

:goonsay:

Yes, Magplar is the one exception to stamina dominance in PvP, but its viability is tenuous at best considering it hinges entirely on an ability that is far past due for a nerf.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PureRok posted:

Honestly, just turn the game into an action game and remove all RPG elements. With this new update they are meaningless. New gear is pointless, levels are pointless. It's all the same homogeneous mess now.

Last night I got some gear that made my Sorcerer significantly stronger. I also kill things in about a fifth of the time as my brother who just started. The difference between this and another DikuMUD like WoW or EQ is that I can group with him with zero penalty to either of us.

In other words, I call bullshit.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

mitochondritom posted:

Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

Because that would be very, very boring?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What are the main differences between playing a magblade and a magsorc?

I think you asked this in guild any I already mentioned this site, but for anyone else wondering, this is the skill calculator I use:

http://eso-skills.com/

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So here's the unwritten ESO manual:

Solo Play:
-Do whatever the gently caress you want. The content is trivial with an IQ above room temperature. It's an Elder Scrolls game.

Group PvE:
-DW is the primary weapon of choice for Stamina DPS. When someone says "that sucks" in the context of Stamina, they mean "compared to dual wielding."
-Bows are not a viable primary weapon (~70% the damage of Dual Wielding). They are an excellent secondary weapon. I will attempt to vote kick anyone using a Bow as a primary weapon in any instanced content.
-2H aren't really viable either, but it's better than a Bow. They don't make good secondary weapons. I don't care if people use a 2H in normals, but in vets, kickaroonie.
-Things get fuzzier for Magicka DPS because there are far fewer brain dead Magicka DPS than Stamina. Any kind of destruction staff is fine, Fire excels single-target, Lightning AOE, Ice for CC/survival. Dual-wielding Swords is a viable option for some Magicka classes, notably Templar. Resto Staff is a fine back-bar choice, mainly for how quickly it can regenerate your Magicka with heavy attacks.
-Only tanks should use 1h/Shield. No exceptions.

PvP:
-Really it comes down to the meta at the time, but 2H deserves a special mention for essentially being designed with PvP in mind. It's great all by itself, but it really shines due to the fact it can fill in any gaps in your class kit. Does not apply to Magicka.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

valuum posted:

Uh what, this is news to me. Rally?

In PvE Rally is only worth it if you don't have a source of 20% weapon damage in your class kit (only Templar), don't want to drink potions, don't have a DK running Molten Weapons, and don't use a set that gives you the buff passively (I don't remember the set name).

You give up Endless Hail and Poison Arrow for Rally.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Scyantific posted:

Oh boy I can stay in IC now that they introduced those alchemy bags.

500 tel var for about 18 reagents.

Sounds like a bad TV:Gold ratio unless you get lucky with Columbines/Bugloss/whatever else idiots buy idk I have max Alchemy and never use it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Partly, sure, but reality is that most people out there running dw/bow aren't you, man. They're loving pubbies with 14k health and a build they barely understand and why oh why do I keep dying over and over. Sure, animation cancelling on WB isn't what it used to be but, like, I got over it in about an hour and found the new rhythm and both my stam DK and my stam sorc do a drat good bit of DPS while also not dying.

But just LOL at booting people using 2H. Can we just go back to hating bowblades like it used to be cool to do? Also you goddamn kids just won't get off my lawn, etc.

2H is harder to play than DW. If they're bad at DW/Bow, they'll be bad at 2H.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tgidieday posted:

As a final word for the newly-minted stamina experts: I've played with you. I know how much dps you do. Stick to giving PvP advice.

:drat:

2H still sucks, especially considering you can't run 2/5/5 without dual-wielding.

Blast of Confetti posted:

in as @Kiyroh. Is there a decent goon presence for PvP or can I just roll whatever race?

Since my sub-561 CP rear end needs to stick to PvP advice:

If you're under 50, it's still pretty fun since the idiots that go farm level 32 Viper are few and far between. Past 50, it's a complete mess of poorly thought-out gear interactions. At this point the only possible way of salvaging ESO PvP is to pull a WoW by normalizing stats and disabling procs.

boho fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 14, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Scyantific posted:

Welp, DW/Bow Stamsorc WITHOUT Maelstrom Duals posted the first 600k score in Veteran Maelstrom. Pack it in folks game over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4AyxrhLqM

rip stam sorcs

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Scyantific posted:

More like RIP Vicious Ophidian and Velidreth.

On a more positive note, Combat Physician is a cool and good set for healers. The shield procs constantly and is actually decent. Until I grind out a set of Infallible or Twilight Remedy SPC + Combat Physician is going to be my go-to.

Combat Physician rules. I also like the one that grants dodge (Gossamer?).

poptart_fairy posted:

Finished up the Ebonheart zones at last. Daggerfall or Dominion stories next, you think?

I like AD zones the best, but I'm not sure what these "stories" things are.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Ghetto Prince posted:

Haven't played an MMO in years, but I figured I'd try this one out on the free weekend. What's the best class for a newb going into PVP? The sorcerer build from the OP?

Also, holy gently caress, 57 gb

Magicka Templar is a pretty good training wheels choice for PvP since you have a ton of straightforward self-heals.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
One day I will return to ESO

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Have they made any PvP changes yet?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I know a lot of you are moving away from ESO+ so if you need the Gold Edition, here it is for $21, just used it myself
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1554-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/

Note this doesn't include Shadows of the Hist, which may actually be considered a benefit.

Are people moving away from ESO+ because gamesdeal ran out of time cards?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

which of these is least likely to steal my identity

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

None of them. All three of those are grey market key resellers and will possibly sell you stolen keys.

The correct answer was the $14 one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kurieg posted:

Why the gently caress do they need my phone number to process a paypal payment? That in particular makes me leery of using these guys.

lol, if you get past that (I used someone else's phone number) you get to a part where they want you to send a picture of your ID