Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Klungar posted:

Yeah, I was saying the same thing to my wife as we watched. The whole point of racism being a fallacy is that races are a social construct and humans are all really the same. There is no supreme race, just one human race. There are, however, actual legitimate reasons to hate/fear different species that have super strength/super technology that obsoletes your species, even if just hating all aliens just for being aliens is still lovely. Muddling the analogy like this in the end seems to lend some credence that racists have even a kernel of justification for your views, even if that's not what the show intends.
It's the exact problem that X-Men has had basically since it began. Gay people can't read your mind. Transgender people can't turn invisible and walk through walls. Illegal immigrants can't perfectly disguise themselves as specific other people in order to take over their lives. You can't use super powers as an analogy for those things because there are really good arguments to be made as to why we shouldn't let super powered people live among us. And the bad guys' argument in this show makes perfect sense. Supergirl's easy to hold up as the face of the "aliens are good" movement because her powers are known and not particularly worrying. She could cause some real damage if she wanted to, but she's not unstoppable. But when aliens can perfectly disguise themselves as human and they could have basically any ability at all, you can't trust anyone. You can't even feel safe when you're alone, because you might not be. Alone, or safe.

ApeHawk posted:

Oh, I realize that. And the humans had legitimate complaints, to be sure.
They didn't really. Aliens with super strength probably aren't cheaper than machines; alien invasions could happen regardless of whether there were aliens living openly on Earth; new technologies are going to displace old industries regardless of where they come from.

If they were going for the "aliens have terrifying powers and anyone could be one" angle then they'd have a point. But again that "super powers as an analogy" problem comes up. It doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If we give all these hateful people powers then that will solve all the problems. But only the good ones. Chosen by me. - Lena Luthor, genius
Honestly, she makes a pretty good point. If people are allowed to have super powers just because they were lucky enough to be born with them, why can't other people get super powers too if it's possible?

jassa posted:

Also, if she's human she's an intersectional activist. If she's alien, she's a self-serving activist.

I'm praying and hoping she's a meta (or something similar).
I'm not sure how much difference that would make. I'm guessing the bad guys don't really make much of a distinction between aliens and metahumans, so it would still be in her own self-interest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

But like she was lent it on the explicit instruction that she not try and do anything like that because it was way too dangerous and then she lied to Supergirl about it. So there's some obvious ethical questions.
That is a dumb restriction though. "This is really dangerous, so whatever you do, don't learn more about it."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The funny thing about Lockwood going "Who is SHE?" to Supergirl is that she is Supergirl, She is Kara Zor-el. Kara Danvers is a construct that she puts on.
Not really. She's spent a hell of a lot more time as Kara Danvers than as Supergirl or Kara Zor-el. Kara Zor-el was a child. Supergirl is a disguise she wears to fight crime. Kara Danvers has a house and a job and friends and family. Many of them know she's Supergirl, but Supergirl's just her job, Kara Danvers is her life.

And it's totally reasonable to want her identity to be public. How else can she be accountable? If she can, as far as anyone knows, ditch her superhero disguise and carry on living her civilian life any time she wants then she doesn't have to answer to anyone. And the president pointing out that his own friends and family are just as vulnerable as hers would be is pretty much the perfect counter to that argument.

twistedmentat posted:

You don't need the DEO Kara, you can do this on your own.
But without the DEO she's just a vigilante and a lot of what she does would be illegal. Which comes back to the accountability issue. If she's allowed to get away with that just because she's faster, stronger and tougher than everyone else then what's even the point of having laws? Why pretend anyone else is in charge when Supergirl can do whatever she wants? Whatever she says goes, because no one will stop her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And I mean, most superheros don't worry about that, because when she show up they're generally helping out when no one else can. No one worries about Superman's activities because they know he will always do good, why not think the same thing as Supergirl? She hasn't snapped any necks to our knowlage.
Most super heroes don't worry about that because it's not the story the writers want to tell so they just ignore it. And then it gets really dumb when they decide to acknowledge it for a one-off thing before going back to ignoring it again.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Kara/Supergirl isn't a "who is the mask?" debate like Clark/Superman or Batman/Bruce. She's not one or the other. She was old enough to remember Krypton and her family before it exploded. She loves the human family who took her in and her adopted sister is the most important person in her life. Her world and social circle is made up of people from both her life as Kara Danvers and her life as Supergirl. She at least pays lip service to caring as much about her CatCo job as her super heroing. Kara Zor El IS Kara Danvers IS Supergirl. They're integrated.
Kara Danvers is Kara Zor-el. She changed her name when she came to Earth. But "Supergirl" is definitely a mask. She only started super-heroing, like, two years ago. It's a job, and not even one she's been doing for that long. She's never lived her everyday life as Supergirl, she's always gone back to being Kara when she was off the clock.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

You make it sound like its a uniform she takes off when she clocks out and leaves her problems at the office. Its less a "job" and more of a "mission" or "purpose". And it seems crazy to say she doesn't live her everday life as Supergirl considering how much of her everyday life comes directly from and revolves around her life as Supergirl. That doesn't even address that she clearly gets a ton of satisfaction, joy, and self worth from her "everyday" life and actions as Supergirl.

Having a job you like doesn't make it not a job.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

This is not that far off from the friendly ICE agent telling some Guatemalan family that they don't have the right to hide from the government, they need to be accountable like everyone else. After all, their forged IDs could be hiding any identity, we need to know who they really are to be safe. So just come in and we'll process you, we'll process you real good.

Except that Guatemalans aren't godlike super-beings who could level a city if they lost their temper. Super heroes as an allegory for oppression is always dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'd say they should drag some of the Earth-1 crew to Earth-38 for a crossover but I'm having a hard time thinking of why. I mean two white guys aren't gonna help much on this season's Supergirl vs. Racism plot and the various science back-up squads are redundant with Lena and Brainy around.
The many speedsters could always be useful. Especially if the bad guys somehow recruited the evil ones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The real problem here isn't that the good guys don't just kill the bad guy. It's that they're wrong to oppose the supposed bad guy. This episode just demonstrated how reasonable and justified it is for the "bad guys" to want to know Supergirl's identity. The fact that the person trying to get her identity is a racist is just obscuring the fact that Supergirl is an incredibly dangerous vigilante who shouldn't be allowed to act with impunity and it's entirely reasonable for a law enforcement agency to want to know who the people they employ are.

And there's the same problem with the Lena story. The implication is that humans getting super powers is bad for some reason, even though aliens with super powers are fine? She's not the bad guy, but again they've added an extraneous bit of badness on top (her reckless experimentation killing that guy) to make it seem like the underlying idea is bad when it isn't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Also, how do you "undo" a memory wipe? The memories were erased. They weren't copy / pasted to external storage; the electrical pathways which contained them were destroyed. You can't get them back. They are gone. Dead. Forever.

They'll just say it's undone. They don't need to explain it. It's magic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

With long As?

As opposed to what? How else do you say Kara? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

God it is killing me every time Kara doesn't tell Lena because every single time it drives home how horribly Lena's gonna be affected when Kara does tell her. And her conversation with James makes it blatantly obvious that Lex is gonna out Kara to Lena before Kara can herself. And then Lena's gonna heel turn hard and it's driving me nuts because I like her.

The CW just can't help themselves, they've got to have people lying to each other for no good reason. It's the only way they know to create conflict between two characters who are on the same side.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also yea I'm pretty sure you have to agree to accepting a contract before it can be enforced. Even in this world of completely non existent workers rights you couldn't just say "you can't quit, you have to keep working on this lovely contract".
I guess it works if they literally just signed new contracts right before the sale, and they were all dumb enough to sign contracts that say "if you quit before the end of this contract then you can't work in this entire industry ever again". But it did seem like not just that non-compete agreement but in fact the entire three-year contract was a surprise to everyone, which makes absolutely no sense. Still, not as dumb as the complete nonsense in Arrow where someone can be fired from the position of owner and then suddenly have no personal wealth either.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know why they couldn't have just had the two reconcile and deal with the other poo poo going on.
CW shows are fuelled by stupid relationship drama. If characters are ever honest with each other, talk things out and resolve things like reasonable adults then the show will just end. They've got to have a steady supply of pointless lies, simmering arguments and irrational grudges to fill time between the punches and explosions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, I feel like this season’s gonna be a huge sloppy mess.
Well, why would they break with tradition now?

The main problem though is that none of the sixteen different plots are at all interesting. The Martian stuff all feels really irrelevant because it's all about J'ohn J'ones's backstory, which I feel has already been given too much time and attention, and doesn't really mesh well with anything else that's going on. The Kara as a reporter stuff is just real dumb and doesn't seem to have any stakes at all. The VR tech seems way too futuristic for the rest of the setting and, at the same time, it's such a common idea that I can't see them doing anything new or interesting with it. And Lena's plan is very cartoony and I can't see how they're going to make it seem like a credible threat of a kind that Supergirl and friends can actually deal with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Please stop pumping up Kara's writing show, you can never live up to it.
It's not like it's Oliver's miraculous gun control law that simultaneously pleased everyone on all sides. As long as we never get to read any of it, it's plausible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

it'd be weird if J'onn's immediate family members were all different races than him.

Why? They're alien shapeshifters. They can look like anyone. As their Martian selves they should look similar because those are their actual bodies they were born with, but there's no reason why their disguises should have anything in common at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's weird how they kept saying that there's no more multiverse when the crossover ended with introducing the new multiverse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This VR stuff is like something from thirty years ago. If you die in the game, you die in real life!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure I missed something. They said they were going to show Alex herself (or something like that?) and then there was an NPC who claimed to be her but was played by a different actor? What was going on there?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There's already a DCTV thread if you just want to use that. I'm certainly not going to object if anyone wants to make a new one for the 2021 seasons though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Biggest problem with one thread is that shows run concurrently. Someone might be watching the flash say, not have had time to watch whatever arrowverse show is on the day after, and all of a sudden they can’t participate in further discussion on the flash because the thread will have spoilers for the show the day after that they haven’t seen yet.

Judging by the current post rate in the Batwoman and Black Lightning threads, that's not going to be much of an issue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

I think that theoretically could happen, because the board of directors would be legally bound to fire the CEO if they thought they were doing a bad job, because they are acting on behalf of all the shareholders, not just the majority holder. The issue is that the majority holder could fire the board to prevent it or in retaliation.

Yeah, the problem was that the writers seemed to think that the owner and the CEO were the same thing and since you could be fired as CEO that would also make you not the owner any more so now you've got no money. But they also never seemed to have any trouble getting new equipment or fancy houses or underground lairs when they were supposedly broke, so it was all meaningless anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well, a lot of things happened in that episode, and I'm sure they'd have meant something to me a year ago. But as of right now, I mostly had no idea what anyone was talking about and spent most of the episode going "Who is that?" and "This person has super powers now?" and "How many characters are in this show?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Well that may have been the dumbest depiction of a trial I've ever seen. The entire case against him was based on Eve Teschmacher's testimony? There's was literally no other evidence? There is no way anyone could possibly have thought that he was going to be convicted. No prosecutor would have gone ahead with that. Everyone's acting like he's some kind of machiavellian master manipulator when he barely needed to do anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm just waiting for the reveal that Nyxly is lying and there's a good reason she was imprisoned.
Yeah, she's absurdly suspicious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Phantom Zone seems to be extremely poorly thought out - both by the writers and by its in-story designers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jassa posted:

I was so relieved when Brainy said only he and Nia could go back. The past few episodes have felt so crowded and busy, but this episode allowed for some much needed downtime and character development for the two of them.
All of these shows have ended up with way too many major characters and too many concurrent plots, so an episode like this one that cuts it all down to a manageable number is such a breath of fresh air. I actually know what's going on and who all the characters are!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think the gimmick of everyone experiencing their fears really works when you tell us up front that that's what's about to happen. As soon as things start going catastrophically wrong we know it's all fake and nothing we're watching has any stakes. Also, we didn't really learn anything about any of the characters and they didn't learn anything about themselves, so what was the point?

Also, when they all "overcame their fears", some of them... didn't? Like, Nia's nightmare ended with the exact thing she feared but then she woke up anyway. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The New, New Adventures of Superman & Lois was great, but admit it, we're all going to miss this band of dorks

Nah. I think Supergirl herself might be the only major character I actually like on this show. I'd like to see her show up on Superman & Lois. That could be good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was really hoping that Zor-El was going to solve climate change like Mayor Oliver Queen solved gun violence. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I got a good laugh out of that. I mean, it's probably that the writers didn't care that much and were just running through a list of other DC media outlets to beat CatCo and the CCC was one of them, but it's still a pretty hilarious to think that Iris' 2-year-old website(/newpaper?) is beating an established media conglomerate.

centralcitycitizen.blogspot.com

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Or utilize all of this insanely-advanced alien technology and the two resident super-genius intellects at your disposal to solve the problem in other ways. Kara was literally a witness to her planet's final moments and now has a trusted and respected scientist (who also happens to be her father) showing her data and telling her it's going to happen to Earth soon. That should shock her into making it a priority.

The most powerful people on the planet being told that time is running out to do anything about climate change and going "That sounds bad. Someone should probably do something about that, at some point." and then carrying on as usual is pretty realistic tbh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

They could have written it so that Nyxlygsptlnz came across as sympathetic and didn't offer Nia an obviously cursed wish. They could have had the owl be more ambiguous - as it was before it spoke and flat out told her things she should already have known. Now it just makes Nia look implausibly dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I loled when Rojas had all the Super Friends on the white board. Sentinel's secret identity shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Andrea and William were talking to Kara right in front of a picture of Supergirl. The whole idea that people can't identify these super heroes is absurd and dumb and the show should really not be drawing attention to it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I don't think superheroes are up your alley, try something more realistic like Jerry Bruckheimer-produced crime procedurals.

It's fine so long as it's a background element that we just accept and ignore. But when you've got a character going "we've got to figure out everything we can about these super heroes!" and they can't recognise that one of them is standing right there because she's not in costume, if you're not playing that as a joke then you're doing it wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Kara Danvers looks like a woman who's facebook relationship status has her married to her cat and has a masters in library science. They are real good at making her look pretty plain and unremarkable

No she doesn't, and no they aren't. They haven't even tried to do that since season one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Has Lena really never seen magic before? I feel like she must have, surely?

Also, the way that witch described magic made it sound very scientific for something that's supposedly completely incompatible with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I thought it was terrible, just like the environment episode. A one-off exercise in flagellating the audience stand-ins for not being better while not actually saying anything substantial about either the past, present or future of systemic racism (especially ironic with an actual dude from the future in the cast), just "it sucks and we need to pay more attention". And again, just like the environment episode, the issue was filtered through the superhero metaphor horribly.

The things in the episode absolutely need to be said, too bad that was somewhere between a sermon and an after-school special.
And they sort of made a point about how Supergirl always returns things to "normal" but normal is already bad, but... she's not actually going to stop doing that, is she? They're not actually going to have Supergirl do anything about any systemic issues or make the world of the show better than the real world in any meaningful way.

They did have that one politician arrested for unspecified crimes though. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This magic vs. science thing is so dumb. I want to know what the writers think "science" is. Like, why can't you use science to study magic just like anything else? What's "unscientific" about magic? It seems to function consistently and require energy sources. What's the difference between "magic" and whatever it is that lets Kryptonians fly and shoot eye lasers and stuff? How do you even tell what's magic and what isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jassa posted:

Even if they managed to destroy a totem, what makes them think another artefact representing that 'element' wouldn't take its place? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?.
Your mistake was in thinking that the writers bothered to think about how anything works at all.