Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

odiv posted:

I'm (irrationally) annoyed about Clark and Kara hanging out in National City while Superman happens to be in town. You're both super fast! You could totally have Clark continue to work in Metropolis while Superman is helping fight bad guys in National City. Kara offered to fly to Italy to pick up food for a date! Don't tell me that he wouldn't be able to handle this. You could even do some dumb sitcom subplot of him ducking out of a meeting for a few minutes to battle and then rush back (with a piece of rubble in his hair).

Okay, it's clear I wouldn't make a good TV writer. But still, Clark's visit including the goodbye at the end just seemed so "Look at us, we're on TV and the time we had with this actor is at an end!" that I got annoyed.

I fully expected Cat to reveal that she knew Clark was Superman and that she knew Kara was Supergirl before the show ended. Even if it was only her talking to herself.
Because, it should be super-obvious to her.

Also, I want Constantine to come back. He needs his own show again set firmly in the Arrowverse. Heck, Arrow and Flash are both in situations where he'd be helpful right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

The rumor mill says that WB released the show to streaming and now bluray to test the waters on bringing him back on the CW. I am forever hopeful.

Yeah. I watched the whole thing on CW Seed and then pre-ordered the Blu-ray (which has arrived).

I'm Constantine's Bitch.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Error 404 posted:

Wait, its streaming on the cw site now?

Cuz I will absolutely rewatch that awful show just on the off chance they bring back Constantine with better writers.

CW Seed website has the whole thing for free.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Needed all that gay to counter-balance the election.

:sparkles:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dongattack posted:

Is Arrow good now? I feel like i should get caught up seeing this and seeing as i watch Supergirl and Flash, but it was unwatchable when i stopped watching at around season 2/3.

Ollie hasn't been shirtless as often this season, so that detracts from it a little bit.
Also, Felicity's new boy friend is a bland husk with no defining qualities other than "is smart".
Seeing Oliver get some character development toward not being such a lone wolf rear end in a top hat as he tries to train up the new squad is a long-time coming.

So, I like it but I admit to having bad taste.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The stuff with Alex was hard to watch, because it was so true.
That was great writing and even better acting. Her looking back over her life and realizing she'd had these feelings before but chose to bury them, the fact that she was so confident that now everything would be amazing because she figure it out, the way Maggie looked at her with almost fear not wanting to get in on that newbie action, how Alex immediately fell apart and questioned everything, trying to go back to how it was before but not being able to. It was all so real and it resonated deeply with me.
To be real, she'd go back in the closet for a while, be all hyper-feminine, dating burly dudes, then bust out again after realizing the can no longer keep in.
Or maybe she's bisexual. That's the first thing my wife said.

To be honest, I am invested in her story more than anything else on the show right now. Because it's the only thing that I can relate to personally. She's treated so much better than Sarah Lance who's sexy times seem to be comic relief more than anything else.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just thought it would have been a lot cooler if Jimmy had become Steel rather than Guardian.

Steel is in Legends of Tomorrow.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Piell posted:

Yeah the Steel in Legends of Tomorrow is Citizen Steel, Wheat Loaf is talking about Steel.

I didn't realize that there were two Steels. I guess that's why I wondered why he didn't have a big ol' hammer?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xelkelvos posted:

Will we ever get the Main Man, Lobo?

If anyone can ruin the formula that made Deadpool work, it's DC.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I just want to see Mister Mxyzptlk again.

Even bring this guy back to play him: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Michael+J.+Pollard&t=lm&iax=1&ia=images

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

howe_sam posted:

Have I got good news for you. (if you didn't know this already)

I didn't know. I try to avoid spoilers when I can.

I look forward to it. I knew the Valentine's Day episode was going to have a bit with Alex and Maggie but I am super glad that they will likely be B-plot. I don't want them to run this thing into the ground.

Also,

quote:

Stefan Pleszczynski directed the episode

Appropriate last name.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bentacos posted:

Wow. Some people really hate Mon-El.

Kara and Mon-El have amazing chemistry, so much better than Kara and Jimmy or Kara and Wynn. Jimmy, opps, James has no chemistry with anybody. I think he is being played by worst actor on the show to be honest. Either that or he is being directed to act like a cardboard cut-out.

Edit: like, I'd rather see a Red Tornado come-back than more of James / Guardian.

Edit2: Anybody else see the previews with the white martian and think "there goes their special effects budget for the rest of the season."?

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Lord Bude posted:

I had no idea bare naked ladies was even a real band.

My wife lived in Canada for about half a year in the very early 90s. She became a fan then and has been a fan ever since. Her favorite song is something about an old house or old apartment, I think.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

That song only really makes sense if you've lived in Toronto, it's full of references to the city.

Thats where she was living so that makes perfect sense.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, content. Kara didn't want to date Mon El because thus far he's shown himself to largely be a selfish, drunken, womanizer. Its totally fine. Kara's just really bad at letting people down easily. And I kind of wish they had stuck with that instead of going "wait, he isn't an alcoholic? Well maybe you DO have feelings for him!"

I don't understand that cupcake sandwich thing at all though. That's blown my mind.

It wasn't the alcoholic thing. It was that he was drinking the same thing Kara drinks. If Kara drank orange juice at the bar, he'd be drinking orange juice all the time now.
Everything he does (until Tessmacher) is because he wants Kara to like him. He wants to be a hero because of her, he tries to be less selfish because of her, now he's drinking club soda because of her.
He's puppy dog in love with her and she's only just now realizing it when (because it is the CW) he decides to bury his feelings and try to (or pretend to) move on.

Cupcake sandwich thing. The only place I've ever heard of that is on these very forums, never in real life.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I was being flip about Mon El. Obviously he's trying to be a better guy because he's crushing on Kara, and clearly he's using Kara as his role model for a good person. But like, Kara already knew Mon El was trying with the super heroing thing which made this week's story feel like "you're a womanizing drunk/actually he hasn't drank in a week/oh, ok, I like you." Which feels very silly and superficial.

I think it was more that it shamed Kara. Not that she suddenly likes him but that she really doesn't know him at all because she is as dense as lead.

Edit: not as dense as Barry Allen, but still.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Piell posted:

Have you seen Arrow? At least James has a supersuit.

Arrow is exactly why James should be dead a dozen-times over. Arrow's little cadre of cohorts is training extensively and still routinely get clowned on.

James is buff, but has no idea how to fight. He's been a photographer. They've never hinted that he had a kickboxing hobby or anything that would allow him to survive street fights. And obviously his super-suit isn't even bulletproof.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dracorion posted:

Actually he mentioned back in the episode where his camera got broken that he has a black belt.

Elvis Presley had a black belt.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

What did he have a black belt in? :confused:

Karate.

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/elvis-presley-karate-black-belt.html

quote:

Elvis trained from 1970-1974 under Master Kang Rhee in Memphis, TN. He said Master Rhee had a good reputation and had come highly recommended by Ed Parker, his former instructor, of California. During the four year period under Master Rhee, Elvis, like all the other students, selected an animal title by which to be addressed in the training area. After first choosing Mr. Panther, that name was later changed to 'Mr. Tiger' because of existing political implications associated with the name 'Panther' at that time.
Elvis trained with the other students in a regular training session. Classroom discipline was so strict that Elvis was allowed the same freedom of training as the ordinary students without the usual press from adoring fans. Elvis was awarded 7th Degree Black Belt in 1973 by Master Rhee and on occasion had the opportunity, himself, to test and promote students of lower rank.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, while Oliver's sidekicks don't have the years of training that he has he does make a point to put them through a daily boot camp. And Arrow's actually more than once shown people like Laurel and Curtis struggling while the ones who excel like Diggle and Rene actually do have extensive background experience.

I don't mind James becoming Guardian but I do agree that its comical how he went from zero to rear end kicker without any transition.

But it doesn't bother me TOO much since they haven't really given him an opponent yet that his armor and gear doesn't theoretically give him the edge on. It seems like the way they're hitting Kara's concern so hard means they're going to go one of two ways. Either James helps her at a key point proving her wrong or he locks up against an alien or someone tougher and proves her right. I could see it going either way but I'd prefer the latter and then maybe James realizing that there's merit in slowing down and working with the DEO/Maggie.

I do like that Arrow's Mr Terrific is like a super marty stu. Olympic decathelete, multi-disciplinary genius who is also a incredibly nice person. But he is a nice person so I do enjoy his character. Of the sidekicks, he's had the most development. Bad Dog or whatever is just a street punk and Rag Man has literal magic on his side. The other lady who betrayed them was getting secret trained by Prometheus.

And, yes, Laural was getting her rear end handed to her until she convinced non-Talia to teach her some moves.

Edit: Sorry for spoilers.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

The way she picked up a knight at the end of the episode, I'm pretty sure she's going to be the driving force behind Checkmate on her Earth. It'd make sense, since she'd want to go up against CADMUS.

I love that they set up the scene at the beginning with Lex and his mom showing that Lex is a chess master and have Lex invite Lena to play. You think Lex is going to dominate her and it will be the start of her abuse, making it look like she's always been the victim. Then they end with Lena showing almost prodigy level skill at chess implying she is quite capable of playing the long game and knows exactly what she's doing.

So Checkmate, what's that? She's still a good guy or is this the start of a heel turn?

Also, when she has her hair back, she reminds me so much of Ursa from Superman II: the Wrath of Zod.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rapeface posted:

Lena :popeye: goddamn. Bets on whether the CW would ever have the lead of a show be gay, or have two gay relationships in one show?

Kara is too naive to notice anything like flirting, especially from Lena, who she considers a great friend. Also, I get the impression that Lena just flirts with everybody as part of her personal display of power.

Oh, and my wife helpfully pointed out that Lex obviously got his crazy from his mother since Lena seems to be just as much a super-genius without the mad scientist part.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Kara is a pretty terrible reporter. Just wanted to put that out there.

She could do celebrity interviews for one of CatCo's magazines. She'd be much better at that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If you fast forwarded through the relationship drama, you might as well have not watched it. It was the Valentine's Day episode; what did you expect?

Also, Kara and Mon-El arguing was fantastic. I really expected this to drag out for the rest of the season since this is on the CW, but thankfully, it happened sort of realistically.

Also, if anyone was going to be cool with having an alien for a significant other, it'd be Winn. Nice to see him moving on and nice to get a little insight into how all these different aliens must feel wandering around on a planet that either doesn't know they exist or wishes they didn't exist.

So, was Q based on Mxysptlk and then this Myxyspotluck was based on Jon Delancie's Q? It was the finger snapping.

The episode was full of smiles and "awww" moments. It was a perfect Valentine's Day episode.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bull3964 posted:

I'm a little confused how we went from super underground alien bar to Winn being able to go to a normal restaurant with an alien.

I mean, Earth people obviously know aliens exist, but I thought the idea of lots of alien refugees was still being kept under wraps by the DEO.

I just feel like I missed a story beat somewhere when aliens just wondering around in public was a thing. I know he was getting a lot of stares in the restaurant, but no one was freaking out "OMG ALIEN CALL SUPERGIRL!"

Also, CADMUS broadcasting propaganda about aliens among us.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

I had actually completely forgotten that it was Valentine's Day. I usually do a pretty good job of tuning that stuff out.

Supergirl though had to shove it down my throat, which I did not appreciate. I would have been OK with it if it was a passing mention or a side plot, but literally the entire episode was about people romancing each other in all sorts of cringe-worthy, cliché ways and I found it quite unbearable.

lol

enraged_camel posted:

Oh look, the TV/IV police is once again dictating how shows must be watched and what elements have to be enjoyed. Why am I not surprised...

Nope. Enjoy it however you want. Just don't expect Something Awful to quietly respect your views. I think it's pretty funny that you are doubling down on this.
Like, Alex and Maggie is a huge, gigantic, massive plot point. Alex realizing who she is, Maggie letting go of her past, the two of them experiencing something wonderful for maybe the first time. I don't know what enjoyment you get out of the show without the relationship drama, to be honest. It's on the CW; that's the point. Oliver is sleeping with the reporter who is digging into his past and has discovered the Bratva connection and just relaized he's actually the Arrow. Barry and Iris have a no-chemistry relationship that is in danger because of some possible future where Savatar murders Iris. And on Legends, bland white guy number two slept with lady-from-the-30s. So. Yeah.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

This episode was just awful though, because the main plot point was an extremely cliche romance plot where the "villain" tries really really hard to "win over" Kara's love, and there is once again a love triangle, this time between Myx, Mon El and Kara. The whole "two potential suitors fighting over a girl" thing is just dumb as hell and I had hoped the show had moved beyond that.

Counterpoint: it was adorable.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. Mon-El's antics were some of the best parts about that episode. Chris Wood has a surprising gift for comedy and I can't wait to see what he's gonna do in the musical crossover next month.

Indeed. The argument scene between him and Kara was like screwball comedy done well. Their whole relationship has been like that, to be honest.

I might watch the episode again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

McSpanky posted:

"I used to be pronounced RAYSH-al-Ghul"

Raja Ghoul?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pan Dulce posted:

I didn't get that message from what happened. I thought Kara was right to tell Maggie that she should consider how her sister feels. A relationship, a healthy one is about considering others AND your own boundaries. If it's important to someone else, both of you should come to a conclusion after talking to one another, not storming in with a surprise Valentine's Day or by yelling and running away.

The show handled that well in the end and you got to see the process to get to that point.

Maggie was asked to face her feelings, not suppress them. She was keeping it bottled up and not dealing with it and it was hurting what she has right now. It is a very well-written relationship. So is Mon-El + Kara. So is Winn and the alien whose name I don't remember. They are all different types of relationships but every one is believable and done well.
Like 150 times better than Kara + James.
Even Kara and Lena's friendship is better written. I mean, drat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that was a real "wait... what?"

But also, Alex and Kara not bringing Mon El and backup, Jeremiah shooting the computers, the simple Mon El pointed out fact of giving Jeremiah high level clearance within 24 hours,

Honestly, I don't care. I don't take this show seriously enough to be hung up on tactical realism sort of stuff. But this episode was really hilarious for the "yeah, that makes no sense if I think about it for 2 seconds."

Oh, comic books.

Oh, no! The bridge blew up and the perfectly timed train is going to plummet 150 feet! I know, I'll grab the metal that was just blown up, warped, and fatigued, bend it back straight, stretch it out if I have to and laser vision is back into place. I'm sure this will be structurally sound and capable of supporting a speeding train. Crap! No time! I'll just, you know, hold this one sort in place. There! Perfect! Saved the day, again!
You know, maybe we should have brought an extraction team or something to apprehend CADMUS.... nah, makes much more sense to send the two most emotionally invested individuals all by themselves. No chance for mistakes or bad judgment or manipulation there. Also, have Alex only bring her magic alien gun that makes things explode and not a regular old gun or a taser or literally anything else.

Edit: it is a comic book show that is like a comic book. Same reason James isn't dead. It works and I love it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xealot posted:

"Queerbaiting" is the term. Though the accusation is less baseless given they're clearly aware of the existence of lesbians.

I'm pretty sure they won't have Kara gently caress Lena Luthor. Gonna go out on a limb with that one. Apparently they'd rather pair her with a litany of deeply boring men who fluster her for no reason other than they have to for the story to work. Actual on-screen chemistry can't stand in the way of rote, obligatory love between our plucky lead and some bro with abs.

Besides, are we expected to believe there are coincidentally TWO lesbians in National City? Who AREN'T dating each other? Who are related? That's silly.

Christ, you'd think some of you didn't flirt with every single one of your friends regardless of their gender or marital status.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ruddiger posted:

Kara brutally dumping Mon El was loving awesome, only for it to be dialed back to point zero in the Flash crossover. Lame.

They do have amazing chemistry. The best chemistry of any CWDC couple to be honest.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bobby Digital posted:

Sara Lance: Time Lesbian + historical women :colbert:

Yeah. She does bring the sexual tension, doesn't she?

And, actually, she is bisexual. But Time Lesbian rolls off the tongue better.

Edit:

twistedmentat posted:

I'll keep saying it until they do it, but they should do Red Daughter of Krypton at some point.

Though the catalyst for it should be more than Kara telling Kal "You're not my Dad!!!". Though I'd hate to see the shows budget for FX tackle Atrocitus. Bleez and Rankor would probably be fine though. CGI Dex-Starr would probably just be hilariously bad.

Wait, what? Kara was a Red Lantern? Where did her rage come from?
(favorite Red Lantern - alley cat)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

Clark's dead planet needed him.

Clark's like "I ship Kara / Lena / Ice-cream. This is on you guys until Mon-El leaves."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Koirhor posted:

Completely disagree cannot watch Arrow due the propensity of Felicity crytalking through every scene

It seems like they finally remembered that she is an actual person and not just Ollie's conscience with the Helix arc. I am hopeful that she gets some development. Even though when they talk about hacking it sounds like they just used a random jargon generator.
I'd love to see her embrace the darkness within like Ollie and Diggle have done. Maybe even bring back the goth look (j/k).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Floppychop posted:

Anytime that anyone on the CWverse shows starts talking about "the darkness" I physically cringe.

I find it adorably cheesy.

Edit: I want Ollie to show up next season on Legends just so he can say, "Legends, you have failed this timeline!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bentacos posted:

She shows up for the first time in the third episode of the series.

Do you think that was part of her audition?

"Can you talk and cry at the same time but still be just almost intelligible? I'm talking tears, snot, the whole thing. More voice quavering!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

Just to be clear, there has been almost zero Felicity drama this 5th season of Arrow, which is a part of why it's so drat good. She's had her minor little b-plots, but none of them have detracted from the show much.

You're right. Even murdering an entire town didn't create as much drama as being mad at Oliver did in previous seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Mon-El is a poorly written character masquerading as a character growth. His incredibly massive change in personality is not realistic. Well, let me rephrase. It is definitely realistic as someone who is very inexperienced at real relationships trying to change everything about themselves to make the object of their affection "happy". What it doesn't include is the inevitable toxic relationship where Mon-El loses everything that makes him an individual and he lives entirely for Kara and Kara doesn't notice or care because it seems pretty great. Then eventually Mon-El becomes bitter, jaded, and snaps, which, when you have super powers, is bad, murder spree bad.
I love the relationship. I really like Kara and Mon-El being together because they are absolutely adorable and have chemistry.
But, if it doesn't end in tears or at least some deep, deep introspection, it will be nothing but fluff.

Yes, I've argued in the past that Mon-El was always good, but didn't know that was an option while living on Daxam under his parents' rule. But, the change is too great, too fast, and too complete.
He really needs to be questioning himself more, having more doubts, making more mistakes.

What's funny, is if this had been a woman completely changing everything about herself to appeal to the man of her dreams, it'd be a standard plot point and not even seem weird (although it should).

Like on Arrow, i am so glad Felicity is getting back to her hacker roots with Helix. Oliver can go suck on a arrow.