Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

So is Kara-X the Furhur?

This post just served to remind me that I'm disappointed all the Earth-X doppelgangers didn't speak with over-the-top German accents. I thought I heard Kara-X slipping into one when they were detailing her plan to take Kara's heart, but that's probably just me hearing what I want to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Lena's tests are totally ending up making Doomsday, right? The whole thing with the heart refusing to die, the fact that it comes from kryptonian mad science, the fact that it can make her feel super bad once she accidentally accomplishes what her mother and brother tried so hard for.

Also, no matter how Lockwood goes down, it's gonna end super weird because one way or another, this has to end with Supergirl defeating racism. Which is great in a Silver Age comic, but ludicrous in a show in 2018 even remotely grounded in reality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Well regardless of her ambition and goal theres a lot of moral questions about how she got the rock or is experimenting on people (and killing them). But like if she goes evil i doubt it will be because she creates Doomsday or has a pile of bodies. It will be in how she reacts when Supergirl/Kara is all "Wait... You stole that? And how many people did you kill? And how did it work out?" Evil Lena refuses to take responsibility or show remorse and lashes out against Supergirl.

She got the rock because she reverse engineered how to make more of it and then did so, just like with kryptonite. I mean the science behind that is stupid, but whatever, comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So has Amell (or anybody involved with Arrow production) said anything about quitting because I feel like Ollie's deal with the Monitor has to be some Faustian pact ending with him dying at the end of Crisis, right? No one does a dramatic off stage deal that doesn't end in their death...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I’m calling a One More Day situation where he’s sacrificed his relationship with Felicity because he saw what it was turning her into, but it ends up that not loving Oliver is what makes her a supervillain in the future scenes.

Ugh, you're probably right. I mean Felicity may not be the best, but I'd much rather have the chance of her and Oliver having a decent relationship rather than having loving divorce drama (since she's also probably not gonna leave any time soon).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

Is it weird that ALL of the side characters from the shows play some kind of role in the new reality, or is it just me?

Also, why does that sonic emitter hurt Supergirl? Is it made with kryptonite?

Deegan explicitly said he was gonna gently caress with Barry and Oliver's supporting casts just to gently caress with Barry and Oliver, so that explains basically all of them. Alex and Jimmy just kind of... appear. It's really only weird for Alex and Jimmy, who just kind of appear. Although back in the season 1 crossover, while Barry says he can't find anything about any of his cast when he's searching Earth-38, they never say that the Supergirl supporting cast isn't on Earth-1 somewhere. So it's just a freak coincidence!... that these series regular actors show up when they need to get paid.

The Supergirl show has been using sonic emitters a bunch against Supergirl lately I've noticed. Probably because they need something to weaken her and they explicitly got rid of all the kryptonite on Earth, except for when it's convenient for someone to have it.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Oliver offered Diaz to the Monitor.

Monitor: "This man is no use in a battle, he's already won"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 12, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gary showed up, yay!

Other than that, I feel one problem with this event was Kara didn't get quite as much focus as Barry and Oliver. Hopefully they can fix that next year. Beyond that, I really enjoyed that.

That's kind of the problem with involving Supergirl in these crossovers. Every other Arrowverse show is on the same earth so when she shows up she's always the outsider. She just kind of shows up because she's also a superhero that's executive produced by Berlanti and it's fun to have a super-person interact with all the other heroes.

I'd say they should drag some of the Earth-1 crew to Earth-38 for a crossover but I'm having a hard time thinking of why. I mean two white guys aren't gonna help much on this season's Supergirl vs. Racism plot and the various science back-up squads are redundant with Lena and Brainy around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

What was the point of slowing down the universe, think I missed that bit.

I think it was to buy time for Oliver to bargain with Dormammu talk to the Monitor

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

i can totally see Braniac filling the Jean Ralphio roll

'cause technically he's homeleeeeesss

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, this season has a lot of "lets save the lives of terrible people, even though they're going to keep being terrible".

tbf "save everyone even the bad people" is basically all the Super-people's M.O., even more than most heroes. Superman saves Lex Luthor all the time. And I'm sure that no matter how far she starts to lean into mad science, Kara will keep saving Lena.

You want a bad person dead you go to Star City. Or actually more likely Central City, Barry's got a body count.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fist4jesus posted:

Batman just popped over to say hi.
Seriously mate, just shoot the joker in the face and be done with it.

I mean Batman sometimes pulls that "I won't kill you but I don't have to save you" poo poo depending on the writer and form of media but I've never seen Superman be chill with people, even lovely ones, dying

edit: oh goddammit Zack Snyder loving undercutting my whole point. Oh well, regardless, imo a Supergirl that says "some people just suck" and leaves them to die is a bad Supergirl. Now if Alex were to open the invisible murder alien's cell door behind Kara's back, that's the kind of morally shady side character poo poo I'm fine with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know Supergirl is working off a budget but they didn't even try to make those Liberty Douches look buffer than normal the minute they all got masked up, much less like the frat dude mini-hulk.

Open Source Idiom posted:

So we all agree that the Racists Only Racists Because They Feel Weak thesis is complete nonsense, right? I'd been giving the show the benefit of the doubt until now, since the only characters arguing that were the show's villains (Liberty and Lena), but then Alex went and argued it this episode as well and I just started laughing.

I think this is another X-Men thing where it's bullshit in a real world setting but it's unsettlingly believable in a super-setting. I mean the Agent Liberty backstory episode moved past the Daxamites fast but keep in mind this is a planet that saw a full blown invasion by an alien race of people just as strong as it's strongest heroes. That's scary! I mean it's still wrong, but the allegory for real racism still gets shaky if you think about it.

If there was a super-pill (like the Lena storyline is inevitably leading to), the CHUDS might be first in line but they'd be far from the only people volunteering for a powerup.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm just confused as to how Alex's memories even work without the knowledge that Kara's an alien. Like, they had a whole flashback episode last season about the Danvers sisters being little super-Nancy Drews solving crimes. Did Alex just forget that? Does she think that back in season 2 that her sister Kara was hooking Mon-El up with a job at CatCo independently of Supergirl interacting with him? I'm trying to come up with some sort of comparison using my own brothers but I can't imagine an even remotely equivalent situation, it's nuts. I feel like her mind should just collapse at the mere mention of Supergirl's identity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

Also, how do you "undo" a memory wipe? The memories were erased. They weren't copy / pasted to external storage; the electrical pathways which contained them were destroyed. You can't get them back. They are gone. Dead. Forever.
My guess is they'll copy Kara's memories over to Alex and hope for the best. This being television, they'll just have Kara's memories from a different camera angle and it'll be fine.

J'onn can do all kinds of bullshit when he's not jobbing so I'm sure he can restore them fine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kind of hate this whole season I think? Like you can't portray the chuds as being wrong and also keep doing one-and-dones where the villain is an evil alien. Or maybe like, add a supporting cast member that's an alien and not also a superhero directly fighting the AoL every week?

The Super-family has a lot of alien villains but it's not like they're hurting for human ones too. Or just do what the rest of the Arrowverse has done and steal from other rogues' galleries. It might be somewhat interesting to see the chuds react to a "human" villain and refusing to take action, showing the public how they're just a bunch of racist hypocrites, I don't know. All I do know is I'm tired of week after week the show trying to have it's cake and eat it too.

edit: also Lena seemed horribly out of character and I'm not looking forward to her seemingly inevitable heel turn.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

All the shows are staying, but the casts are being rearranged. Tune in next season for Supergirl, starring Dominic Purcell as Supergirl.

I'd 100% love to hear him growl out the intro

"I'M A REFUGEE ON THIS WORLD" :argh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It would help things if we could see even one example of a CoL turning and reevaluating their lovely worldview. Like, Supergirl's (and Superman's) purpose behind not killing is believing in the system and/or that people can change. But so far this season no one has demonstrated the capacity for change, except I guess Manchester going from just angrily beating people to downright killing. So yeah so far Supergirl is demonstrably wrong, since no one on any side shows any shade of gray and/or remorse for their actions.

Like so far this season there's just seemingly no endgame, at least not a satisfactory one*. If the show wants to show that the Elite killing is wrong, then they have to show that there's a glimmer of hope for the people they're killing. I get that we can't just have a whole episode for every loser but so far the only real villain-centric episode is the one about Lockwood himself and, well, the whole moral of that one was basically

Burning_Monk posted:

After *checks notes* several alien invasions, I would fully support all kinds of death rays in orbit, and I'm a crunchy hippie.

Like the original comic, the show really needs to show us why the Elite are wrong for killing literally faceless racists. And like I've said before, why the CoL are wrong when basically every threat that faces the world is alien in nature. In short,

Mortanis posted:

I think the writers bit off more than they can chew this season.

I think they passed that ever since season 2 when they were just like, gently caress it, aliens are everywhere.

*edit: oh and the obvious finale is that the president is either evil or controlled in case the Trump metaphor was somehow too subtle.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 5, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I take issue with this. If it were true, Superman would have offed Lex long ago. They don’t kill unless it’s to prevent greater death and destruction because killing is wrong. You don’t just kill someone, even if they’re a completely unrepentant dickhead.

That's what I said, or what I meant to say, I guess I didn't phrase it quite right...

But anyway, to that point, the show really needs to demonstrate why Supergirl is right, maybe by giving her a drat win instead of "well I guess everyone didn't die today but the bad guys are still out there dropping bodies." That's sort of a sweeping problem with the whole Arrowverse; once they reveal the big villain, the heroes absolutely will not triumph anywhere until the season finale. Even if they beat the villain-of-the-week (which also sometimes doesn't even happen!), they always make sure to remind us that Diaz Cicada Vandal Savage Agent Liberty has already won and our superheroes are powerless to stop them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 5, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So they finally kind of sort of did what I wanted with one of the racists seeing the error of his ways but like, it totally didn't work at all, because a) he wasn't a full-on CoL and b) who the gently caress was he? Am I supposed to remember him at all, because Supergirl seemed to, but I sure as hell don't.

Before they can try making the chud flipping be A Thing™ we have to either know the character, care about the character, or see how bigoted the character is then play up how deeply horrified they are by their own actions. And since it's just some random rear end in a top hat in a suit heckling outside instead of like, one of the CoL with the mask and baseball bat, it's not a dramatic enough change.

All that said, I did like Nia and Brainy this episode "I am American Alien... Hashtag American Alien"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oooohhhh. Okay. Well then, I still hold to my point that it shouldn't have been some guy that we the audience had only seen for like 5 minutes tops.

edit: oh one more thing I thought of this episode, Manchester's totally gonna wind up (or just somehow turn out to be) psychic somehow, right? I mean I know TV/movie characters don't have to match their comic counterparts, but they can't just keep having J'onn say that he feels they have a connection without that happening.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 12, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of secret identities the show is still unclear as to whether or not the new bosses know that Brainy is an alien from the future.

Pretty sure they know he's an alien, unclear if they know about the future part.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Everyone keeps wondering how Supergirl's gonna end the season when the villain is something as broad as racism and I wonder if maybe Lex is here to just drastically change things from an uncomfortable/weird allegory of the times to good old fashioned ~fantasy~ racism. Either way I hope Lex gets to tell Agent Liberty and the chuds that their poo poo is pathetic and if they really hated aliens they'd build a mech.

Maybe some of them will realize that being on the side of Lex Luthor means you're on the wrong side of history...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Jon Cryer was a very entertaining Lex.

:rip: Manchester. But maybe it was someone else with an image inducer :v:

Yeah I don't think Manchester would go down so anticlimactically. He's definitely gonna be back. And with that whole "I'm in your head, J'onn" they're definitely setting it up for Manchester to just straight up have psychic powers at the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Just airing over here, I assume Lex shot Jimmy to make Lena develop the cure.

Got it in one. Well, technically Lex had someone else shoot Jimmy but you know, potato potahto, Lex is still responsible for the shooting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

They cut from Jimmy waking up to a light flickering outside his room and Lena pointedly noticing it.

Also, James is black. So...y’know...

She was noticing the light so she'd realize that the backup generators didn't kick on because Lex rigged them, not because of powers.

Besides, Black Lightning is on Monday, CW has hit their quota of electric heroes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Apparently all Supergirl needed was Lex Luthor, because dang these past two weeks have been good.

:yeah:

who knew that telling comic book stories with comic book characters would be good instead of clumsily shoving them into complicated real world race issues? :v:

(although I find it weird that Lex knows Kara's identity because I mean it should follow that he knows Clark's identity and there's no way Lex Luthor would just sit on that tidbit of knowledge)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

Murder, ecoterrorism, and probably more, and all Lex got was 31 years, really?! And how the hell did he poison everyone in the courtroom?! And why would he want to increase his sentence to 32 years?!

Also, that new Supergirl title sequence was pretty boss.

Pretty sure she was saying 31 consecutive life sentences before choking, he was making a wisecrack about adding another as he just murdered (or maybe just assaulted?) a whole courtroom of people.

edit: thinking back on said courtroom scene, it would have been nice if they could've gotten Tyler Hoechlin in so Clark Kent could be covering the trial (and/or testify against Lex)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 25, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

It was bizarrely bad, especially because the rest of the episode looked pretty dang good and the CGI work overall has been pretty solid this season.

Was it just because it was shiny or something?

Probably. That and it's a globe, which I don't think they've done before on the show. So they're having to make a whole new model and then work with the raw footage which (and I don't know behind the scenes stuff irt how superhero shows shoot superstrength stuff so maybe I'm wildly wrong) maybe had Cryer holding his arms in just a weird way that wouldn't work

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Closed captioning calls her Red Daughter too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Also, didn't Lex call her that?

Yeah but he only calls her that at the very end so I can see why people might have either missed it or wanted to find something else to call her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure you can explain it away with Lex and Eve planning some 9 steps ahead chess bullshit but it seems like there should be some real easy ways to exonerate Supergirl like a nearby CCTV or a DEO tracking device showing she wasn't near the White House at the time but I get that plot contrivances have to happen to keep this story rolling.

A little disappointed though that this incident seemed to immediately keep Lockwood on the same arc because for just a minute it seemed like he might have been having a moment of self-awareness realizing how he's just been Luthor's pawn but OH WELL.

Also man David Harewood must've gained 10 lbs from chewing all that scenery

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well we had a nice two episode run where the show was good again with Lex. I guess we're officially back to this poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

This whole "erase the alien database" plot is ripped off whole cloth from the post Secret Invasion Super Hero Registry from Marvel.

The minute Brainy started talking about deleting it, but keeping a copy in his head, I immediately thought "oh poo poo Brainy's gonna have to wipe his brain like Tony Stark!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Only this episode was dumb as poo poo.

oh I never said it wasn't

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lockwood's awful undercut is by far more offensive than any politics on the show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one downside to that is that it really kind of kills the kid's possible development (or at least I think it will). Like the kid just learned "oh aliens aren't bad, they're just like us" then immediately after had his mom killed by an alien. Now he's just gonna turn into his dad (at least I think).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they've given Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen Superman/girl power sets and soon Ben Lockewood/Agent Liberty and presumably a bunch of non characters. Somehow or another they seem like they have to walk that back.

Lena and Supergirl are gonna have to pull the old Superman 2 trick and rob everyone but her of powers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God it is killing me every time Kara doesn't tell Lena because every single time it drives home how horribly Lena's gonna be affected when Kara does tell her. And her conversation with James makes it blatantly obvious that Lex is gonna out Kara to Lena before Kara can herself. And then Lena's gonna heel turn hard and it's driving me nuts because I like her.

And I'm not gonna go back through the whole thread to check but congrats to the goon who called that the president would be the final boss and key to end racism.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he can stay in prison as some sort of Hannibal Lecter-esque figure that Supergirl & Co. have to visit at some point for...uuhhhh... reasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd imagine they'll put him in DEO lockup for future utilization with a sort of poetic irony that he's considered so dangerous that he has to be locked up with the aliens he hates so much.

More likely is that he'll kick the bucket from Harunell OD. They could recast him as the Legion villain Earth Man and call him his descendant.

Oh most definitely. They might also find that all the Harunel is deadly and develop a "cure" to conveniently strip James and Lex of their powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like Brainy reverting to factory settings of evil Brainiac. You'd think that he might have run into this problem before, though. I mean torture's hosed up, but I imagine the LOSH gets up to a lot of adventures that may have lead to hosed up poo poo happening before.

I wonder if this is gonna lead up to him being next season's villain? I mean they've kinda sorta done a variant on Zod, they've done a Daxamite invasion, and now they've done both Luthor and Red Son Daughter. I can't think of many other classic Superman villains to use for next season.