Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cat Grant is the best because she's an old fashioned BUSINESS WOMAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why did they give Wynn a look for asking if his IRA transfers? That's a serious question

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spooky like this! posted:

Yeah this season they're stealing villains from other shows. Malcolm Merlyn is supposed to be around as well.

It looks like the explanation for not having Calista around all that much is she's going to be taking off. Going by that scene in her office. I'm assuming that with no Ms Grant and no Wynn at Catco we won't be seeing that main office area again.

The scene where they introduced the new DEO office was so blatantly, "yeah we don't have access to that set anymore" I wonder if they worked out a deal with CBS that got them permission to film one more episode on the Catco set.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they mentioned the Intergang before this episode?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the comics, Superman gives Batman Kryptonite because Batman is the only one he trusts to use it wisely, and to use it to take him down should Superman himself ever become a danger to Earth. I wonder if they're gonna do something like that with Supergirl and Green Arrow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Green Lantern is way too much CGI. Supergirl already covers aliens anyway. Flash is super-science, Legends of Tmorrow is time travel, Arrow is punching and kicking. They need something different. They should do something from the odd side of DC. I'd have said Constatine too, if not for the fact that his show already failed.

The correct answer for the fifth CW DC show is, of course, The Invisibles

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet:

(major spoilers about the future direction of a certain character James Olsen )

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/10/supergirls-james-olsen-will-become-another-one-of-dcs-superheroes/

Link is in spoiler tags due to the title of the article being a spoiler.

quote:

he’ll be keeping his vigilante identity secret from Kara

go gently caress yourself, CW

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

Given that there are no kryptonians on earth 1, we can only assume that Earth 1 is a dimension where krypton never blew up (or hasn't blown up yet) therefore kara would still be there. Or krypton blew up but they were sent to some other planet to be safe.

Speaking of which, I've never understood why such a highly advanced spacefaring race would only have 2 survivors. Did they not have colonies on other planets? Kryptonians living/working/visiting other planets? There were aliens from numerous species in that prison, so there was clearly a lively exchange of interstellar traffic. The galaxy should be littered with kryptonian refugees.

In Earth 1 Superman's ship fell into the sun and baby Superman died

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Considering how thick they laid on the moral this episode I'm surprised that the Daxomite asking for ale didn't turn into a special message about alcoholism

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh, speaking of which, the new cast member is totally Montoya, just with the numbers filed off.

I'm pretty sure she's Maggie Sawyer, just Latina instead of white

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

Wait, is this the same Maggie that Batwoman was engaged to?

Yeah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
LOL, the show moves to the CW and they introduce Daxam, a planet of bad boys.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

The DEO seems less like ARGUS or SHIELD and more like just a secret version of the FBI, and therefor vulnerable to external pressure. Ideally they'd have the ability to deal with people who use aliens illegally as well as the aliens themselves.

Now that aliens have rights and citizenship the DEO should probably be turned into a kind of alien-specific SWAT team.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZDar Fan posted:

My wild guess is that the story that M'Gann told about a White Martian breaking ranks to oppose them is true, but is actually her. She's not evil, simply afraid of how he would react to her being a Whitey.

That's not a guess, that's what it is

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

CW has a super high lesbian death count though so I worry for both of them.

Does Sara Lance show up on the death count? And if so, does she count twice?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If aliens have equal rights now, why are they defaulting to Monell hiding his identity?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

If there was anything that could've saved this James plot for me, it would've been Winn...but, sadly, I don't think even Winn is gonna be able to make me like this Guardian thing. The writing is just not there. Like, if he's so worried about James getting himself killed, why doesn't he just tell Kara? Pretty sure she could stop him.

Otherwise, really enjoyed the hilarity of this episode. The whole switching-back-between-identities thing at Lena's party...like, it wasn't even done that well, but it's still such a fun thing that I'm so glad they had it.

Speaking of which, I approve of the Luthor swerve at the end. I'm guessing they're gonna try to recapture some of the Lionel/Lex dynamic from Smallville, which (from what people tell me) is some of the better parts of Smallville.

I think they're just doing the Guardian storyline so James and Wynn have a lot of time alone together leading into them getting romantically involved

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senerio posted:

I liked how Alex didn't just immediately go "poo poo I'm gay" and instead kinda talked in circles around it. Felt more honest, and like how I felt about it when I realized.

Poor Maggie. Thought she might get some rebound sex, ended up right in the middle of some chick's identity crisis.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how the crossover is going to work, considering that Supergirl is in another universe. Maybe the Dominators invade Supergirl's Earth and Supergirl calls for help from Barry who brings the whole gang

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

Is it going to carry over all the shows, or just sort of cameos in a couple for recruitment with all the main action occurring in the Flash?

Berlanti described it as a three episode miniseries

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

You get a better glimpse of the cover in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtkE0a8fhk and it's Robinson Crusoe I believe

Oh my god, Sara Lance is gonna try to sleep with Supergirl

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Flash needs to quit it with these drat mystery villains sending Metas-of-the-week at Flash. Give him a Lex Luthor. Somebody he knows is the bad guy but can't actually go after directly because he doesn't have proof, or something. Because when they unmask Alchemy, I guarantee you I won't care. Unless it's as dumb as the Zoom reveal. But then I'll care for bad reasons.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floppychop posted:

You mean like the season with Reverse Flash?

yeah

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Arrow is just keeping its head above water, but could sink at any moment. There's too many things that could cause it to go into full on Waaah my feelings stuff too quickly right now. Plus Wild Dog needs to shut his loving mouth.

Supergirl just feels like the most positive of the shows right now. Which really should be Flash because the Flash is the goofy snarky one who's always making jokes, and is often mentioned being the heart of the Justice League.

You're thinking of fun Wally West Flash, not boring Barry Allen Flash

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that was incredibly lovely Maggie. What the gently caress?

Huh? Maggie did nothing wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wow Kara all high on mighty on Mon El because he doesn't want to be a hero.

Yeah, she really needs to find a balance between trying to make him Superman 2 and just letting him be a scumbag

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

Hmm, my personal copy of the Gay Handbook says it's a bad idea to get with people who are still in the closet, but it's okay to get with people who just came out. Maybe Maggie has a newer edition

Be fair, people who just came out can be obnoxious. I bet Alex will be cool, but I can't get mad at Maggie for fearing that Alex would want her to be a guide to being a lesbian, or going through the post coming out overcorrection phase and listening to Tegan and Sara all the time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tolstoi posted:

I wonder, are they even going to address the whole thing with Daxamites and lead?

I don't mind the idea of them changing things up for the story, but I figured they would have alluded to something by now, what with Guardian's getup being covered in it.

That's the set up. Guardian and Monel are gonna meet and Monel's gonna get all hosed up by all that lead

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Cadmus seems like a good place to fill the show with easter eggs, even if they're never amount to anything.

"Oh here's a ship we found and it had this alien with a ring on in it". "Look at this weird Box we found"

I wish i knew more about Cosmic CD outside of Green Lantern and New Gods stuff. I dunno, Grifters mask? Adam Strange's jetpack?

I don't think this is the sort of show that's just gonna tease stuff. I fully expect a Legion of Super Heroes plotline in season 3.

And Lobo could show up at any time :getin:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope its Wolverine rip off Lobo not lame pretty boy Lobo.

And Hell Ya Braniac 6 getting some Supergirl action!

First of all, Wolverine satire, not rip off. Secondly, yeah, if they're willing to make the Silver Banshee look like the comics regardless of how stupid that looked, I want them to make Lobo look exactly like Simon Bisley drew him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I understand Kara wanting to have a secret identity so she can go see a movie or get a cup of coffee, and so that her friends and family aren't in extra danger of getting kidnapped to get to Supergirl.

But that secret identity really should be "Kara Danvers, DEO accountant". Kara having to lie to her boss about stuff is just a nuisance, and now that Wynn works for the DEO and James is a superhero, there's so little reason to cut back to the CatCo offices

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh come on. I get that they need to change the shape of the helmet, but it's not like the comic version has particularly garish colors. At least change the pants and undershirt to blue

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized how silly the opening narration is. "To most people, I'm a reporter at Katco"

She's written two articles. For a newspaper. No one knows who she is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

What were the Batman hints?

Wait I must have missed something does the Fortress of Solitude in Supergirl actually have a giant key that you need to get in with because YES.

Presumably. It's an established part of Superman lore and Supergirl doesn't seem like the kinda show that would drop it just because it's silly

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

I hope that all the crossovers are not like this with like 2 minutes of cross over in one episode then the last episode is every one.

Like you know flash is gonna be 90% just The Flash then he goes and gets Supergirl at the end of the episode.

We already knew Supergirl wouldn't tie in until the end. They've described the other three shows as having one three hour story

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why was Alex stitching up Maggie instead of a doctor?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xealot posted:

Also, it's super weird that they hastily wrote Jimmy out as a love interest and replaced him with a handsome white man.

Daxomites are an offshoot of Kryptonians, so presumably then can have viable children. They have to mate to perpetuate their race. Kara going with Jimmy would weaken the bloodline.

Nothing racist about that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

I'm only on episode 4 and I like some of the things they're doing so far, but man, they're pretty drat heavy-handed with the social commentary. It's especially jarring after the whole spiel Kara got from "Snapper" about how important it is to be unbiased. The writers get a self-awareness score of 0.

Snapper said journalists have to be unbiased

I don't think anyone thinks of the CW TV show Supergirl as journalism.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nooneofconsequence posted:

Yet they ended up with a pairing with even worse chemistry.

They lost the only believable love interest for Kara when Calista Flockhart left.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Silver Banshee's dollar store Halloween outfit was way worse than Red Tornado.

Silver Banshee was just a woman dressing up like evil, we were supposed to think this was a military robot

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Combo names are so goddamned stupid and it makes me internet psychotic.

McSpanky posted:

a thousand times this.

Rhanky :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just thought it would have been a lot cooler if Jimmy had become Steel rather than Guardian.

That would suck. John Henry Irons is one of my favorite fictional names.