Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

frgildan posted:

I'm wondering is their trying to set up Wynn and Kara's sister for a romance plot. Seemed weird they just kind of brought up their dating life.

Yeah, I assumed that, as well. I could see the show doing that in service of a flipped gender dynamic, where she's the no-nonsense secret agent person who punches dudes and he's the non-physical support staff person. The show has such an unsubtle 90's style of feminist messaging...this whole, "who says girls don't kick rear end" / "listen up, I'm the boss" kind of thing. I mean, it co-stars Ally McBeal playing Anna Wintour.

My bet is that Wynn's in danger and Alex saves his damsel rear end. Then he feels emasculated, gets over it, and they gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mortanis posted:

How does Kara know about Daxam? She left right before Krypton blew, so knowing the exact details of what the explosion did to Daxam seems a bit odd. Same with Hank knowing. I can't imagine it as having been information in Fort Rozz's database either given it was in the Phantom Zone during Krypton's destruction.

Clark's been on Earth for around 30 years, and Kara's been there 15, so presumably they and/or the DEO looked into it during that time. Assuming another alien didn't; there are apparently tons of them on Earth and they aren't all from Fort Rozz.

Unless your question is, "how far away is Krypton's solar system, and how can they meaningfully observe it?" And, you know, sure: they couldn't probably. But if you accept that passably humanlike aliens built FTL spaceships to send their children to Earth, it doesn't seem any more unreasonable for alien magi-science to explain FTL astronomical observation.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, she did great work with that scene. As broad as the show is they did good work writing a woman who's figuring out she might not be hetero after all.

Though Maggie was kind of hilariously smug the whole time.

"I can't stop thinking about what you said...I mean, I thought maybe intimacy just wasn't my thing. But maybe you were right about me..."

"Oh, really? About what?" :smuggo:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

Poor Maggie. Thought she might get some rebound sex, ended up right in the middle of some chick's identity crisis.

I think that was why she had that amused look on her face. Maybe that's her life...one confused 20-something identity-crisis after another.

"What do these feelings mean!? Am I...could I be, like, a lesbian?"

"...yeah, probably. So, are you trying to gently caress or should I go?"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Come on just let Alex and Maggie be a thing . I neeeeed thisssss.

They'll be a thing for a few episodes, then Maggie will die. It's the life cycle of television lesbians. Like bees that die after mating, except for narrative reasons.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I'd like at least one episode where that's a runner in the background, maybe with Ollie or Ray trying to talk Sara out of it, and Kara being oblivious until it dawns and then "Oh... OH! N-no, no.... no... But it sucks you're from a different Earth! You're totally my sister's type!"

Or Kara goes for it. Next time, on Supergirl:

"I've only ever been Alex Danvers, Kara's big sister. But finally, I'm on my own path, where I can be something all my own-"

*walks in on Sara banging her sister*

"Oh, goddammit!"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Binary Logic posted:

I was hoping Mon-El would argue about the absurdity (and split personality) of Supergirl holding a menial, subservient and low-paying day job. There are never alien attacks or people who need help during KatCo office hours?! Why isn't Kara an employee of the DEO, it would make things so much easier for everyone if she didn't need to zip back and forth between DEO HQ and KatCo and make excuses for abrupt disappearances.

Yeah, I get that the day job cover story is deep in Superman's DNA, so they're not going to change it. But that's definitely a superhero convention that goes stagnant pretty quick. I mean, Peter Parker works because being Spider-Man doesn't pay. But the DEO is a well-funded black ops division. Get your poo poo in order, J'onzz.

I have similar problems with Flash. I don't see how STAR Labs is funded these days, but it seems like the Flash should have a different work arrangement than being a secret-hero who gets $0 for it, and a forensics tech. There's already a metahuman investigator officially on the city payroll, so it's not like the existence of metahumans is a secret.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

McSpanky posted:

They covered that in the beginning of season 2, Thawne-Wells was a rich tech mogul and left his wealth to Barry in an endowment or something to keep STAR Labs running.

Oh, right. Yeah, you'd think that would have greater implications for the character's lives. STAR Labs is a huge enterprise, with a board of directors and what-not. If Elon Musk died, confessed to murder in a recorded will, and left all his wealth to some rando to keep running Tesla, that'd probably be discussed a lot more often.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Although you know a Kryptonian bio-weapon stolen from his house is maybe something he should show up for.

Also he's Superman and can literally fly hundreds of miles an hour no problem. Dropping by National City is probably the effort-equivalent of driving across town. "Uggggh gently caress the 405, but an alien bio-weapon? Fine."

Mon-El is way shittier superpower-wise than it seemed like he'd be. He seems like a kind of strong dude whose weakness is bullets. Which...yeah, sure. Also, it's super weird that they hastily wrote Jimmy out as a love interest and replaced him with a handsome white man.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

It really is remarkable- in all other respects this is one of the least subtle shows on television, yet they handled this with remarkable nuance.

Of course it helps that Chyler Leigh is just so drat good.

The one where she breaks down after admitting how humiliated she was upon being rejected is pretty great, in particular. I mean, deeply sad, and really well-acted.

But looking at the first few episodes of the season, it's kind of hilariously unsubtle. Tons of sustained shots of longing gazes, and at least a couple monologues of the form, "it sure was tough being a queer girl in Oklahoma." Probably a necessity to set that stage.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

"Hey, Agent Schott! You're clearly traumatized from a recent violent experience. I know you don't have any combat training, but come on this field mission with us so I can leave you to defend our extraction point by yourself."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

That's a CW relationship. Inedibly saccharine and built around extreme displays of affection, or sustained tearful argument born of several months-worth of lying. Things are either euphorically perfect or literally the most bitter divorce you've ever seen. Everyone has bipolar disorder, to the point it is completely normalized.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Selachian posted:

Seriously, the writers and actors cannot possibly be unaware of the massive amounts of hints they're tossing out.

"Queerbaiting" is the term. Though the accusation is less baseless given they're clearly aware of the existence of lesbians.

I'm pretty sure they won't have Kara gently caress Lena Luthor. Gonna go out on a limb with that one. Apparently they'd rather pair her with a litany of deeply boring men who fluster her for no reason other than they have to for the story to work. Actual on-screen chemistry can't stand in the way of rote, obligatory love between our plucky lead and some bro with abs.

Besides, are we expected to believe there are coincidentally TWO lesbians in National City? Who AREN'T dating each other? Who are related? That's silly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Kara's earth has metahumans, but was there a STARLabs explosion? I call bullshit. Bullshit!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

But then the writers would have to throw some Cadmus drama in there to tear them apart.

"How could I not see it?! Lena...you're MY kryptonite..."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

She isn't a Timesexual until she bangs a time displaced version of herself.

If a Timesexual is merely one who fucks time, the entire cast qualifies.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Is it consensual though? Or is that a Timerapist?

Barry Allen: Serial Time Rapist

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Also, you'd think the whole Men in Black secret government thing would atrophy now that literally everyone knows about aliens. Why is the DEO a first-responder to some alien causing a scene, and the National City PD is not?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

kjetting posted:

DCCU lucked out with the Dark Knight trilogy and have since tried to replicate that formula by reducing it to elements like "gritty" and "dark" instead of realizing it's "actual good movie with coherent plot and consistent tone from talented director with a vision".

I reject the idea that "gritty grimdark darkness" is why people dislike those movies. Snyder's perfectly thematically consistent, as well. The issue's just that the characters serve the themes and not the other way around. He's making Watchmen again, it's deconstruction.

It's not "too dark," it's just interested in painting Superman as an ethical dilemma and Batman as a rightwing psychopath. Chris Nolan went "darker" in tone and content, but Batman was still awesome and cool, so it was fine.

(Suicide Squad is a goddamn train wreck, though. No defense for that movie, it's just awful.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

8one6 posted:

That would be cool. I had a dumb fanfic idea that in the Earth-1 universe the plan worked, Kara and Kal arrived together so there's no Superman because he's still a kid. Kara could still be Powergirl though.

Superman did arrive as a kid. He'd be the exact age he is on Supergirl in this scenario.

The difference is that 13-year-old Kara would've arrived the same time, so she'd actually be like 40.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

No but it killed Cory Montieth.

I'm pretty sure that was a debilitating opiate addiction.

Glee was absolutely garbage TV. But the first 13 episode run was kind of good...it was Election the series. Then they figured out they could print money by doing covers.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, considering the way this season has linked aliens to racism/immigrants/refuges/LGBT walking into an alien bar and saying "HEY! YOU MUST BE A LYING ALIEN IF YOU'RE IN HERE!" seems like the rough path towards screaming "N***** LOVER!" or "WHY ARE YOU HANGING WITH QUEERS!" or something.

That does seem like the general tenor of this season, so I'm sure that rhetoric will come up. Alex is already literally gay, so it's not like the show's squeamish about making self-conscious statements about social justice issues.

I'd probably go to that bar, being honest. Seems like a cool bar. I'd hang out there sometimes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Mitch McConnell has given quotable history an absolute golden gift by accidentally coining the phrase "Nevertheless, She Persisted" and I hope it keeps showing up in pop culture just to rub it in his nose for all time :allears:

"She persisted" and "nasty woman" are both some quality catchphrases.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

mythicknight posted:

The heart emoji near the end just about melted me.

Yeah, those two are absolutely down. Every interaction was mutual :swoon: at each other.

It's full-on queerbaiting at this point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

I love that left to their own devices, all Martians identify as African American.

I bet I know exactly how they landed there. “Well, J’onn is black because Green Martians are persecuted for their ethnicity. It’s shorthand.”

“Are White Martians white?”

“...that’d be bad, right?”

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I got to see a bigot get dunked on and it owned, Maggie's dad is a piece of poo poo

I'm also glad they left him as more or less a bigoted douche. If this was some one-off that ended with him pulling a 180 and begging to be a part of her life, it'd be some facile garbage. And his MO wasn't garden-variety "Jesus don't love no queers" homophobia, there was a toxic dose of respectability politics in there that was an interesting direction.

This show might as well lean into that kind of complexity, because the actual superhero mythology isn't that complex. As long as Maggie doesn't die. I mean, I suspect they'll break up, but there are enough dead lesbians on TV.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

What was the issue here? Does the actress no longer want to be on the show? Do the showrunners feel that the character wasn’t working? I know a lot of people were pissed off at the casting choice.

I imagine Happy Couples are boring for writers to write and for actors to play. If I were an actress, I probably wouldn't be excited to play anyone's supportive girlfriend for the indefinite future...especially if it involved signing a contract saying I couldn't leave.

Also, this is a CW show...couples exist to flirt unrequitedly, get together explosively, then disintegrate into tears of grief or anger. The "happy couple" stage probably lasts 6 episodes, max. (I blame Joss Whedon for this formula. I suspect every youth drama featuring superheroes, vampires, or scifi/fantasy elements borrows heavily from his late 90's/early 00's output in plot or characters.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Majorian posted:

Uuuuugh...I've been catching up on "Legends of Tomorrow," and while it's awesome that they have a gay female main character, the whole "LOL Sara's banging ANOTHER GIRL!!!" trope is getting really stale for me.

e: To clarify, I don't have much patience for, "(male main character X) is banging ANOTHER GIRL!!!" either.

I see your point, but I prefer this to shows making queer characters super well-behaved and mostly chaste. I don't know if it's a respectability politics thing or what, but it seems like many queer characters are that in name only...their relationships aren't on screen, or if they are, it's some sanitary monogamous situation that doesn't offend.

Sarah Lance being down for uncomplicated sex with women is great. Alex being a drunk mess who's coping with her breakup by loving is also great. I support this decision. I support all these decisions.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

So is Kara-X the Furhur?

Probably.

The whole Krypton origin story is inches from German fascism anyway. "This blonde white girl embodies a level of moral and physical perfection Earth has never seen before. In her genes is the legacy of one of the smartest and most powerful civilizations ever, and her purpose is to fight to build a utopia consistent with her ideals." Pull the whole "public good" aspect out of the deal, and yeah...swastikas everywhere. Makes sense.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

^^Definitely, Steve Rogers in particular being a Nazi is difficult to reconcile. But Captain America and Red Skull are often two sides of the same coin in a way that feels similar to me. A very patriotic guy with a strong will volunteering to become the ubermensch in service of his nation can pretty easily lean fascist, I'd say.

Windows 98 posted:

Anyway carry on. As an obnoxious Jew myself I found this hard not to kvetch

Fair. I feel like that more aptly describes the origin for Martian Manhunter, in the current mythology. He's literally presented as an alien who escaped persecution and genocide on his home planet, to immigrate to Earth and live in relative secrecy for fear of alienating the normative society he's blended into. He even had to anglicize his name.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 29, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

BreakAtmo posted:

Eh, sometimes I feel like we're supposed to assume that telekinesis only works on inanimate objects. And she was up against Reign - 90% of the time, being able to send multiple dense many-pound weights into your opponent's face at high speed would be an awesome power.

I guess so. Telekinesis is a terrifying power if taken to any logical conclusion, though. Like, you can throw big rocks, or constrict Reign’s cerebral arteries until she dies via stroke. The rock thing is less absurdly dark. It doesn’t end the season arc in a really disturbing way.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mortanis posted:

Yeah I need an episode where Alex gets Kara's powers for a day at this point. Maybe Winn as well for the comedy option but I want to see Alex kicking but with super strength.

Alex gets powers, and is significantly better at being a superhero than Kara. The rest of the season becomes a disillusioned Kara drinking her sense of inadequacy away.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

lmfao the light of a blue star kills the male of ANY species??

Anyone with a Y chromosome.

All life in the universe is DNA-based. And light from this star somehow discriminates what permutation of DNA an individual has before causing damage. And the Legion can travel faster than light as well as through time.

It’s still better science than The Runaways.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Did they explain where Superman was? You’d think something called a “world killer” would get his attention.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Except in real life, no, you can't have people running around shooting lasers and smashing pavement and not even take down their name and address. You have to register to buy a gun!

I think you're literally quoting an X-Men villain, to be fair.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

fist4jesus posted:

Batman just popped over to say hi.
Seriously mate, just shoot the joker in the face and be done with it.

Hey, say what you will about the Netflix Punisher as a show, but it handles that part. He shoots a lot of people in the face and they definitely don't come back.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I had not considered this. poo poo, I think Ruby Rose is a poo poo actress as well.

I don't know how people can tell with these shows. The dialogue is so clunky and so much of the drama feels perfunctory vs. the comedic beats they seem to actually enjoy making. Only a handful of actors in the CW-verse strike me as "good," just because they somehow elevate mediocre material. (I'm looking at Jesse L. Martin, for instance.)

What I mean is, it's not Nicole Maines' fault they've given her a ton of joyless material. I'd love to see her in a more complex role, or at least one where she's allowed to have a personality. As it stands, she's mostly defined by some adorkable quirks, and is totally reactive to plot contrivances related to being Dreamer. If they gave her more conflict, or flaws, or opinions...then maybe she'd be great.

I agreed 100% on Ruby Rose when she was a smirking distraction on Orange is the New Black, but I think she's gotten much better since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Bruceski posted:

"I am caring and supportive up until it gets in my way."

Yeah, this felt more honest and organic than pretty much any conflict I can think of on this show.

It feels deeply true of power and privilege that this “progressive” sister’s support evaporates the second either of those things are challenged.