Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

Maybe the CW people can just call in Kevin Smith to consult when they need a new ridiculous moster of the week, but let somebody else handle the relationship drama stuff.

Someone like the Music Meister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Woden posted:

Mon-El is cool and good, he stands alone to save us from the shippers.

He's the only thing between us and KaraCream and I hate that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Was that telepath guy Psimon? I believe he had a predilection for controlling people ("Psimon says", at least in Young Justice). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psimon

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

Maybe the CW people can just call in Kevin Smith to consult when they need a new ridiculous moster of the week, but let somebody else handle the relationship drama stuff. Best of both worlds!

BSam posted:

Someone like the Music Meister?

As long as Music Meister doesn't have any control over the episode's music, I'm down.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 29, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

As long as he doesn't have any control over the episode's music, I'm down.

I say give him control, but also give him a whole episode worth of music, not the tiny selection of songs we got last week.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Can the DEO just recruit Maggie so we don't have to get a scene of Alex running out on her every time something comes up?

Maybe that can also give her something more to do than just "Alex's girlfriend".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She's a cop too and had a bunch of poo poo to do like going after the alien girlfriend.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Also, you'd think the whole Men in Black secret government thing would atrophy now that literally everyone knows about aliens. Why is the DEO a first-responder to some alien causing a scene, and the National City PD is not?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bruceski posted:

Was that telepath guy Psimon? I believe he had a predilection for controlling people ("Psimon says", at least in Young Justice). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psimon

Hey, I know this guy! In Crisis on Infinite Earths, he gave a speech to the rest of the bad guys about how powerful his psychic powers were. Immediately afterward, the Joker smashed his brains in with a rock.

e: Hah, I just spent a few minutes trying to GIS that page, and it turns out that there's another version of that scene that comes from a much more recent book. Poor Psimon - in every continuity, his destiny is to get his brains smashed in by the Joker.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 30, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Hey, I know this guy! In Crisis on Infinite Earths, he gave a speech to the rest of the bad guys about how powerful his psychic powers were. Immediately afterward, the Joker smashed his brains in with a rock.

e: Hah, I just spent a few minutes trying to GIS that page, and it turns out that there's another version of that scene that comes from a much more recent book. Poor Psimon - in every continuity, his destiny is to get his brains smashed in by the Joker.

Psimon is a Titans level villain who can't ever cut it with the big boys

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
You'd think potential intergalactic war would get Clark to show up and see if he could help.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe he is stopping his own intergalactic war.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Clark's dead planet needed him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

Clark's dead planet needed him.

Clark's like "I ship Kara / Lena / Ice-cream. This is on you guys until Mon-El leaves."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Superman is too busy blogging "Manhell hate" on his tumblr.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Maybe it would make you feel better if Clark's feet and legs are in the next episode?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the "theme" of the season is about alien acceptance and politics what with Mon El and the Daxams, Lena and Cadmus, Wynn's girl, and secret alien President Wonder Woman. But its never come together at all. Its like there's a meta plot string to tie it all together that they just forgot to write.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I guess Kevin Smith is going to make a new career out of directing CWDCTV shows, which is ok since the ones he's done so far have been good to decent. I'm sure it's his way of partially fulfilling his writing/directing a comic book movie dream.

Yeah when they said a bounty had been put on Kara I thought for a hot second we might see Lobo before the rational part of my brain took over...Though just because the bounty was canceled (maybe), that doesn't mean the message is not still out there floating through the void...
See, the knowledge that Kevin Smith was involved in the episode is what made me say "wait... bounty hunter?!" because its the sort of thing he'd do.

What good are you, Kevin Smith, if you don't come up with an excuse to get Lobo on my TV screen?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lobo is basically DC trying to out-90's the Rob Liefeld-era Cable and Punisher, right? Everything I've ever seen of Lobo makes me cringe even when it's on a comic book page. I have no idea how you guys think he could possibly translate to live TV.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phenotype posted:

Lobo is basically DC trying to out-90's the Rob Liefeld-era Cable and Punisher, right? Everything I've ever seen of Lobo makes me cringe even when it's on a comic book page. I have no idea how you guys think he could possibly translate to live TV.

He's got a boisterous personality and the same powers as Superman, if not more so. He's basically DC's Deadpool.

Check out the DCAU for a version that retains all his charm and character while tossing out the cringey stuff. He joins the JL and is fired like a few days after.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be honest. I've read probably like three Lobo comics in my life and I never cared one way or another about the guy.

But I want to see him on TV interacting with Kara and the DEO desperately and I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't be curious to see how the hell that would play out.

I concede it could be a disaster, but drat it I'm curious to see it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You just know they'd just use the New 52 version of Lobo on the CW, though, wouldn't they?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You just know they'd just use the New 52 version of Lobo on the CW, though, wouldn't they?

gfd

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

FYI, he's just been written out as of the latest revision of canon. The Main Man is back (and was hired by Amanda Waller before having to owe a favor to Batman which was immediately cashed in for Lobo joining Batman's new JLA).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pretty sure they've said they can't use Superman anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure they've said they can't use Superman anymore.

Where did they say that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Where did they say that?

It was implied to be a one off deal.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/08/cw-possible-superman-spinoff/

quote:

CW President Mark Pedowitz tells EW there are currently no plans for a Superman spinoff.

“Tyler did a great job,” he said following his panel at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Sunday. “There’s no plan to do a series. There are no plans at the moment for him to return [to Supergirl]. If they wish to have him return, we’d love to have him.

quote:

Berlanti seemed a little more hopeful about a potential Superman spinoff down the line. “Look, we were just really lucky,” Berlanti said following a panel for his new drama Riverdale. “We asked to have him come on for the first couple episodes and they were great about it. We’d love to have Tyler back, he’s amazing, he was great in the role. In success, I think all those things are possible. I’m always the guy who says ‘yes’ if there seems to be an appetite for it and the people involved are really nice

Basically in normal speech " Yea, Warner Bros let us use him for those 2 episodes and that's it. It'd be great if we could have him back, but most likely he will never be back on the show".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There isn't a single word that implies that they are not allowed to use him, just that they have no plans.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There isn't a single word that implies that they are not allowed to use him, just that they have no plans.

I dunno they've mentioned it before that it was a one time thing in other articles. Those are all really polite answers which boil down to " If Warner Bros. gives us the okay we can use him, but Warner Bros. have to give us permission ".

I dunno how else you could interpret " We were really lucky" other than " We begged to have him on".

I mean Warner Bros. has more than a few times said " No, get rid of that person we want them".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chokes McGee posted:

He's got a boisterous personality and the same powers as Superman, if not more so. He's basically DC's Deadpool.

Check out the DCAU for a version that retains all his charm and character while tossing out the cringey stuff. He joins the JL and is fired like a few days after.

Plus he rides a loving SPACE MOTORCYCLE. What more could you want?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lobo's also part of the "Last of his kind" club alongside J'onn and Kara. Of course, Lobo's race went extinct because of him, but that's besides the point. I think the only tricky bit is finding someone close to Lobo's proportions that can also act at the level of the rest of the cast.

So who's looking good in pro wrestling that wants to dress up as a biker with white body paint and can fit the role?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

Lobo's also part of the "Last of his kind" club alongside J'onn and Kara. Of course, Lobo's race went extinct because of him, but that's besides the point. I think the only tricky bit is finding someone close to Lobo's proportions that can also act at the level of the rest of the cast.

So who's looking good in pro wrestling that wants to dress up as a biker with white body paint and can fit the role?

Paging Braun Strowman to the thread. Braun Strowman, to the thread.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to hope for Lobo when there was space bounty hunters.

I'm fine with Superman not being a recurring character or getting his own show.
The stories of supes, Batman and Spider-Man have been told so many times in different media it just gets boring. One of my favorite things about the DCCW universe is that it focuses on different characters that haven't had as much exposure. With references to Kord Enterprises and Hub City in Arrow/LoT it seems like they're paving the way for possibly Blue Beetle or The Question appearing there as well.
I also like that they keep Supergirl, J'onn and the overpowered aliens in a parallel universe, because the power of "parkour and archery" is dwarfed a little by "bulletproof, flying and able to lift a house".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I dunno they've mentioned it before that it was a one time thing in other articles. Those are all really polite answers which boil down to " If Warner Bros. gives us the okay we can use him, but Warner Bros. have to give us permission ".

I dunno how else you could interpret " We were really lucky" other than " We begged to have him on".

I mean Warner Bros. has more than a few times said " No, get rid of that person we want them".

Yeah Deadshot, the Suicide Squad in general, and Harley Quinn on Arrow come to mind. And yet Harley is showing up on Gotham either this year or next year, so WB is playing fast and loose with the "whose okay for the CWverse and who isn't" thing [yes I know Gotham isn't a part of it]. Didn't they also want to Nightwing on Arrow at one point and got told no by WB?

They tried to tease Green Lantern on Flash and clearly got told to gently caress off with that too.

I bet if Flash hadn't outperformed Arrow during its first season, WB would have killed it too so people wouldn't be confusing and comparing it with the DCCU Flash... that apparently is still looking for a director even though it begins shooting in a few months.

Christ the DCCU is a loving disaster top to bottom, ain't it?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
DCCU lucked out with the Dark Knight trilogy and have since tried to replicate that formula by reducing it to elements like "gritty" and "dark" instead of realizing it's "actual good movie with coherent plot and consistent tone from talented director with a vision".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kjetting posted:

DCCU lucked out with the Dark Knight trilogy and have since tried to replicate that formula by reducing it to elements like "gritty" and "dark" instead of realizing it's "actual good movie with coherent plot and consistent tone from talented director with a vision".

I reject the idea that "gritty grimdark darkness" is why people dislike those movies. Snyder's perfectly thematically consistent, as well. The issue's just that the characters serve the themes and not the other way around. He's making Watchmen again, it's deconstruction.

It's not "too dark," it's just interested in painting Superman as an ethical dilemma and Batman as a rightwing psychopath. Chris Nolan went "darker" in tone and content, but Batman was still awesome and cool, so it was fine.

(Suicide Squad is a goddamn train wreck, though. No defense for that movie, it's just awful.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xealot posted:

It's not "too dark," it's just interested in painting Superman as an ethical dilemma and Batman as a rightwing psychopath. Chris Nolan went "darker" in tone and content, but Batman was still awesome and cool, so it was fine.

I agree Snyder's aren't too dark, (though they can be joyless) but I don't think Nolan's were necessarily darker (and I'm including MOS in this), just more grounded in a weird way. They're also like three different types of movies: Begins is a hero's journey/journey of discovery. TDK is an epic city crime movie (ala Michael Mann's Heat). And TDKR is a war/siege movie. In my opinion anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really mind that the DC stuff is "dark", but I wish there was a little more variety in tone and style. For as much crap as the MCU gets for all being the same kind of movie I feel like I actually get a different kind of thing with the different worlds and characters they have. But its early into the DCU so its probably too early to compare it fairly to the MCU. Three films in with the MCU we were at what? Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2? That certainly isn't representative.

As for Supergirl, I read that Superman thing as simply "he was a special guest star so don't expect him to be a regular or to get a spinoff." Which is fine. I can't imagine anyone expected otherwise. Besides the fact that we knew DC probably wouldn't like that I don't know why anyone would want that since it would just undermine Supergirl and her having her own little world. I see nothing in those quotes that say Superman couldn't come back for another guest star in a premiere or finale, just nothing regular or big. I mean, its not like the Suicide Squad in Arrow that happened before the movie. DC let Supergirl do Superman knowing full well they already had a movie version. I'm sure they just wouldn't want Supergirl to do too much with him, so they have to ask permission. And that's probably too much of a hassle for the Supergirl writers to think is worth it more than once a season or something.

tl,dr: Superman shouldn't show up on Supergirl more than once a season anyway.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It'd be interesting to see the "arrival" of Earth One Superman of the Arrowverse like on Arrow and The Flash from the perspectives of Team Arrow and Team Flash, but kinda "holy poo poo" in the background. Same actor. Imagine the possibilities of further Diggle reactions to news footage or a fly by.

Of course, I guess that would just create more writing problems of "Why doesn't Superman help? Where is he?"

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
They can't find him because he's so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love Tiny Clark.