Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I get a kick out of the probable Alex and Maggie romance, because the only other place I've seen Maggie's actress before is on the short-lived ABC show The Family, where she played a reporter that started the main character's sister's first lesbian relationship. Just feels like very specific typecasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

That Michael Vick was wrong speech was like "do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?" levels of awkward.

Yeah, namedropping Michael Vick was a weird, bad choice for that speech.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Chyler Leigh did a really good job with that speech to Maggie at the end.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

This season I think it's either the best or second best of the DC shows.

I'd rank it just behind Supergirl (though honestly it's close), and comfortably above Flash and Legends.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Knormal posted:

Just my guess so not actual spoilers, but it seems pretty obvious to me knowing how TV shows go that he's actually the prince, and just made up the last part of his escape story so he could prince and the pauper it up. It explains why he's an arrogant jerk who doesn't actually know how to do anything.

Also did I miss a line somewhere or did no one ever bring up the fact that he has the same last name as Kal and Kara? Considering how big of a deal the House of El thing usually is in the Superman mythos it seems kind of weird they just conveniently find another last survivor El. It would be like if there were three survivors from Earth who all just happened to be named Kennedy.

For that matter, why does Kara have a first name and then Zor-El as a last name, while the others are just Kal-El and Mon-El? Was she given that name on Earth, because I thought I remembered her mother calling her that before she got in the pod?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Chortles posted:

#1: According to iMDB his name is apparently Demos... no, I don't get it either.
#2: "Paranoid DEO agent with extended dialogue and actual reactions from main cast for all of one episode" is still a more significant role for a non-villain Asian male character (Asian-Canadian actor) than I remember in all of the MCU...

Hogun of the Warriors Three would beg to differ

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Avalerion posted:

If only there was some nonlethal way to capture someone... like dunno, shoot for the leg, knock them out, tackle them. But no, if you aren't willing to kill someone (understandably) just let them walk. :bang:

I was honestly expecting her to blast off his robot arm. Very disappointed when she didn't.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Selachian posted:

Honestly, Sara Lance: Time Bisexual is more a fan thing than an actual show thing. Last season, for instance, Sara had one roll in the sheets with Marie Antoinette and exchanged meaningful looks with Guinevere, and that's about it.

Didn't she also basically introduce lesbianism in Salem, and almost get hanged for witchcraft as a result?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Looks kind of like a Fred Armisen character in that shot

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Vietnamwees posted:

So, is that Karaoke Bar where they all go to drink and unwind now? That other place hasn't been used on the show in a while.

It was the same bar, wasn't it? The banners and stuff all said "Karaoke Night," like it was a new/irregular thing

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The best part of The Cape was how Vinnie Jones kicked the main character's rear end every time they fought.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I at least appreciated Kara pointing out to Jimmy that his whole Lena confession was kind of a lovely thing for him to do as her friend. Especially since he didn't actually go through with it, so there wasn't even really a lie he had to tell. He was just basically saying "Supergirl wanted me to spy on you because she doesn't trust you, but don't worry because I trust you and would never do that." Very self-serving.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I really can't believe that Argo turned out to actually be a piece of Krypton, and that Kara's mother is actually still alive there. That feels like it should be a huge, huge deal, but everyone was just kind of taking everything in stride, to the point where I was sure it would turn out to be a trick of some kind. But nope, there's just a whole bunch of Kryptonians still alive out there. I wonder if Kara will even think to tell Clark.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Seems to reinforce the idea that a good chunk of the crossover will take place on Supergirl's Earth. Would be nice to have the Arrowverse folks take the trip this time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

We have our Lois
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1040662734981947393
Grimm really ran for six seasons??

I like this casting a lot, not least because she deserves good things for how terribly Grimm treated her in those last couple of seasons.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

The timing on Batwoman is super hosed because they already introduced her to the rest of the CW gang during Elseworlds, but Batwoman season 1 is a prequel to that, and they have... two episodes to catch up in time? Maybe? Or just be like "oh this comes way after S1" in which case they have to write around it and oh I've just gone crosseyed

They've already caught up as of a couple episodes ago. Mouse escaped during the Arkham breakout shown in Elseworlds.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I was kind of curious how they explain to other non heroes why the murdered giggling lunatic was at their games party.

They kind of lampshaded it with William being totally fooled by Winn's glasses

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else kind of tired of William after the good guy twist was revealed? He really doesn't bring much to the table other than being blandly handsome and British. The romance angle is especially bad because Kara don't need no man and also the two have zero chemistry.

He still has yet to serve his most important function: dying tragically, probably at Lex's hand (which will probably be what turns Lena around)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

That's....a really dumb looking outfit Alex.

I like how her big revelation was that maybe she should start wearing a mask to protect her identity, and in response she gets a new outfit where the only face coverings are "a bit more eye shadow and sometimes a loose hood."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

While its kind of ugly I'm not bothered that her first instinct instead of "mask" was "eye shadow and a hood" considering Oliver Queen wrote the book in vigilantism in this world. She's in her Hood stage.

But I mean, Dreamer is right there with the domino mask. And Guardian had a whole drat helmet.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I honestly do kind of love the notion that Alex's experiences with both Kara and Clark have taught her that people only recognize other people based off of their hair and eyes. Thus, any outfit that alters or obscures those elements is a sufficient disguise.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well that was quite an escalation Lex :stonklol:

"The magic was inside you all along." "The only winning move is not to play." :v:

I'm just waiting for the reveal that Nyxly is lying and there's a good reason she was imprisoned.

I think it seems extremely likely that she's the one who killed her brother

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I do have to question how the Central City Citizen is so high up in the media ranking when it is like 4 people.

Ha, I literally came to post this exact thing. Iris is a legit media mogul apparently.

I liked the episode but it really is jarring how incongruous the universes of this and S&L are. And it's not like with Flash and Arrow where small inconsistencies are easy enough to handwave away, these two shows are dealing with a lot of the same people and places and just presenting them in completely different ways (the Fortress of Solitude being a prime example).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Barry registers millions of Facebook accounts and shares Central City Citizen articles, inflating their ranking due to massive social media engagement.

"Twitter bots, courtesy of Ray Palmer"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Or utilize all of this insanely-advanced alien technology and the two resident super-genius intellects at your disposal to solve the problem in other ways. Kara was literally a witness to her planet's final moments and now has a trusted and respected scientist (who also happens to be her father) showing her data and telling her it's going to happen to Earth soon. That should shock her into making it a priority.

Although I do have some questions about the correlation between ocean pollution and the planet straight-up exploding.

Edit: Though come to think of it, isn't Brainy from thousands of years in the future? Presumably he knows Earth's situation then, so maybe they're all not too worried about it because Brainy told them it's fine.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

They could have written it so that Nyxlygsptlnz came across as sympathetic and didn't offer Nia an obviously cursed wish. They could have had the owl be more ambiguous - as it was before it spoke and flat out told her things she should already have known. Now it just makes Nia look implausibly dumb.

Yeah rattling off things like "I have no idea who you are" and "Imps are famously untrustworthy" and "My mother's favorite symbol of wisdom is literally telling me not to trust you" combined with the complete lack of time pressure and even bothering to vaguely check in with her friends (all of whom have direct experience with at least one fifth-dimensional being) makes Nia look extremely stupid.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

jassa posted:

Not sure if it was adapted from a comic or if you're getting mixed up, but they did that in the animated series Justice League Unlimited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU

And it was even better because the voice actor for the Flash on that show was Michael Rosenbaum, who of course played Lex on Smallville!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Uh, what crime are they charging the councilwoman with exactly? She's obviously cartoonishly evil, but aside from some light structural damage from her initial shockwave stomp thing it doesn't seem like any of their possible accusations would stick.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She killed her aide to get a sandwich.

It is pretty funny that she basically had genie powers for a full day and all she got out of it was a sandwich and a small stack of money to bribe her coworker (and even that bribe was contingent upon the idea of more money to come).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

So I assume they are going to somehow fill in the gaps next week?
What happened when the original xyxzussply showed up and where did he go
How did Kara get out of the trap
Is Dreamer going to tell anyone that this is all her fault (or did they do that already and forgave her offscreen)

Did you miss last week's episode? Because this episode was filling in the gaps from that one.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought it was odd that Nxly and Supergirl kept getting to redo their gauntlets over and over again without any repercussions.

And at what point did the Kryptonian hologram observe that Lena had magical powers!?

Kara very much had repercussions that kept her from trying it more than twice (the effects on the bystanders amplified with each failed trial). Nyxly didn't really have any reason not to try over and over I suppose, since she likely didn't know about the bystanders being affected and probably wouldn't have cared if she did. Still, it seems like both of them erred on the side of caution and tried to analyze what went wrong before dipping back in.

As for Kara's solution, I thought for a minute that when she fainted it was because she passed her trial at the last minute and realized something about the value of teamwork and not being able to save everyone by herself. They kind of glossed over that, but I'm guessing if it comes up again some variation of that will be the answer.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Or just start her own news organisation- worked for Iris

And that's apparently like the third-largest news outlet in the country, ahead of even Catco!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

This is perhaps the least urgency I've ever felt from a planned final season, it's insane

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Legitimately have no idea how they're going to achieve any kind of satisfying wrap-up in a two-hour finale.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

That was probably the best finale they could've done given how much of a muddled mess this final season has been. Cat Grant was definitely the MVP, it's been so long that I had forgotten how much Flockhart added to the show.

It kind of became moot once Kara revealed her identity to the whole world, but I was laughing when she gave her DEO speech at the funeral right in front of Andrea, who I believe at that point still didn't know.

In all I'm glad the show got to have a proper finale. It was a very uneven show throughout, to the point where I'm pretty sure I skipped multiple episodes of several of the middle seasons, but it was good to see the whole crew come back one last time.

Also RIP the Big Brain I guess.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I can understand why they felt like they had to, and Jon Cryer's performance was great as always, but I think it was probably a mistake to bring Lex back for the final stretch. The set-up was so clumsy ("I went to the future at some point offscreen, and while I was there I happened to meet you and fall madly in love, and then you died so I came back to save you 1000 years before your death"), and they changed so much about Lex's characterization by turning him into this lovesick acolyte. And the grand payoff was that despite every indication that his love was genuine and he was truly being selfless in his assistance of Nyxly, that ultimately it doesn't matter and it still ends with betrayal and a big laser fight.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So I guess the answer to Kara's courage test was that she was suppose to stay and reveal herself to the world. Kind of odd that they didn't explicitly state this.

Didn't they? I thought Kara laid it out pretty clearly in her conversation with Lena at the wedding.

Also lol the Kara/Lena shippers are FURIOUS on Twitter claiming there's a set leak showing them kissing at the end of that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I still have the last 5 episodes of Stargirl sitting on my DVR. I'll get to them at some point but for me this second season really started to drag in the middle.