Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Nia is adorable and I kinda love that she and Brainy are likely to become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Xelkelvos posted:

Like i said in my post above, I'm guessing that there's a possibility that he'll volunteer to be a guinea pig for Lena's experiment

The tiki torches were a good touch.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/07/21/supergirl-nicole-maines-casting-first-transgender-superhero/

They're not going back on it since her being trans was part of her announced character, but it's possible she's also at least part alien or a Meta of some sort.

Making Nia (part) alien would be extremely disappointing. It's SO refreshing and powerful to see a trans character who draws strength and confidence from her experiences as a trans woman, and uses that to help others.

Also, if she's human she's an intersectional activist. If she's alien, she's a self-serving activist.

I'm praying and hoping she's a meta (or something similar).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bruceski posted:

On the one hand, yup. :mad:

On the other hand, the power is one held by women in her family every few generations.

Yeeaahhh. I was real disappointed by the "I'm an alien!" reveal but that certainly softened the blow.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
That last line from Maeve to Nia was one heck of a gut-punch. Kudos to Nicole Maines for not only filming that scene, but helping write it.

If we ever see Maeve again it had better involve a lot of grovelling and begging for forgiveness.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

vseslav.botkin posted:

I feel like they're setting her up as a nemesis.

I don't think that's what they were going for. The unfortunate reality is that family/allies will often invalidate trans people in moments of anger, because they know it's the most devastating way to hurt them. It's lovely and awful and all too real, and I both love and hate that they went there.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Aleph Null posted:

I am trans and this is absolutely true. She said the most hurtful thing she could think of and probably regretted it even as it was coming out of her mouth. Not that it matters because she still said it and that has consequences. Thank Rao Kara came out as Supergirl.

100% agree with your entire comment 💜

Also: *secret trans handshake*

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
So, uh, I don't really get why Nia and Brainy failed to interact at all during the party? I figured she was being mopey because she thought he hadn't shown up, but then when Nia saw Brainy leaving with the others she didn't seem at all upset?

And speaking of things which didn't make sense... pretty much every line of dialogue in Lena and James' car scene was unrealistic and full of huge leaps of logic. They're both the worst-written characters this season and I feel absolutely nothing in response to their (second?) breakup.

On a less negative note, YESSSS NIA IN COSTUME! NIA WANTING TRAINING! SUPERGIRL & DREAMER TEAMUP!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Phylodox posted:

She was being mopey because she’s still grieving for her mother and her obnoxious roommate thought throwing a Valentine’s party would cheer her up, and then monopolized the one person she actually seemed to want to hang out with until he had to lock himself in a closet to escape her.

Yeah they made it clear she was mopey because of grief during her scene with Kara, but there was no indication she was upset at not getting to hang out with Brainy.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Nia was so great this episode. I loved seeing her get really aggressively into the whole super hero thing, and having to be reigned in by Supergirl.

Her wanting to stay in her suit all the time, doing warm up stretches, reacting to being called a sidekick, etc... all of that was super cute and fun too.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that was fantastic. "bring it down to a 7"

Also Nicole Maines has amazing hair.

She really does. I'm so gay for her.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Look, they're obviously different people. One wears glasses, the other doesn't.

Plus we've seen them both in the same place at the same time at least once or twice...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Brainy Dreamer relationship drama suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I thought they worked this poo poo out last episode.

Nia being sad breaks my poor gay heart :(

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

muscles like this! posted:

Not linking it because of phone posting but trailer for post Crisis Supergirl shows that Lena still remembers previous Earth somehow.

Also had to laugh at good old fashioned CW nepotism as Meaghan Rath (Jesse Rath's older sister) will be guest starring. Which I guess is only fair since she helped him get a foot in the door at Syfy by having him guest on her show.

I imagine it's a "lesser of two evils" thing, where Team Supergirl decides it's better to restore Lena's memories of Lex's shittiness than it is to leave her thinking he's perfect and wonderful.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I really wish they'd stop gut-punching Nia. It seemed particularly cruel to put their relationship back on track at the beginning of the episode just to rip it away again by the end.

Girl needs to date someone who'll treat her better, like Alex or maybe Kate Kane.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Good episode. Sure, it was a Very Special Episode but it was handled pretty well. I'm really glad they let Nia go a bit dark.

I was so sure Alex was still trapped inside VR toward the end of the episode, but apparently not?

I'm disappointed (but also amused) SuperAlex was such a non-event, though I suppose it could still be a teaser for later in the season.

howe_sam posted:

Okay, the Nia storyline is about as subtle as a brick to the face, but y'know, sometimes that's a good thing.

I wonder how subtle (or unsubtle) it was to folks unfamiliar with the hatred and violence trans folk are subjected to?

Xelkelvos posted:

They said "my community" a lot in this episode and it feels super ham handed but idk what would be the less clumsy way of how to say that.

Personally I just refer to it as the trans community, and because I'm openly trans it's inherently understood that it's a community I belong to. I feel like they could have done that here too? Everyone knows Dreamer/Nia is trans, and if somehow they didn't, they would have picked it up during this episode. "My community" had a bit of a weird possessiveness to it. It'd make sense in an impassioned speech (i.e. "This is about the trans community. MY community!") but yeah the way the phrase was used throughout the episode didn't feel natural to me.

jassa fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 16, 2020

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Noise Complaint posted:

Dean Cain has been ultra lovely towards LGBT groups and especially transpeople. There is no way that episode wasn't aimed squarely at him and it's loving hilarious.

I didn't know that! I doubt the episode was aimed at him in particular... the way they offed his character though? That's very deliberate and I LOVE IT.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Yeah I prefer single-show threads for pretty much that reason.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I was so relieved when Brainy said only he and Nia could go back. The past few episodes have felt so crowded and busy, but this episode allowed for some much needed downtime and character development for the two of them.

It feels like this episode is setting up Nia to try reaching out to her sister again (back in the present). I don't know how to feel about that.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Can we just go back to 2009 Midvale again? That was *so* much better.

I'll be glad to get back to Superman & Lois, though sadly Nia and Brainy (probably) won't be in Smallville.

Speaking of Nia, it definitely feels like they're setting her up to reconcile with her sister and learn dream interpretation from her. I'll be real disappointed if it's Nia who has to extend an olive branch though.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojCBOwVEmI

Supergirl faces her most fearsome opponent yet: a giant golem made out of trash?

Oh, they're bringing Dean Cain back after all?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

twistedmentat posted:

If I didn't have such a crush on Melissa Benoist i probably wouldn't bother.

This, but Nicole Maines 😍

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

twistedmentat posted:

I know I'm not super straight because I totally agree with you.

I mean, if you're a straight guy and you're attracted to a woman who happens to be trans, that doesn't make you any less straight. :)

Edit: Ah, I just realised you probably meant 'super straight' as in the bullshit transphobic sexuality.

jassa fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 21, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The Mancave of Solitude

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
But yeah they killed off Dean Cain's character offscreen early last season. Heart attack while overseas doing humanitarian work.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

GreenNight posted:

I did like the one comic where Lex turns into the Flash and takes off his mask and is like "I have no idea who this is".

Not sure if it was adapted from a comic or if you're getting mixed up, but they did that in the animated series Justice League Unlimited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
This episode was actually pretty decent! Though I'd be more invested in Lena's adventures with witchcraft if we had more than 9 episodes of the show remaining. I laughed when witch lady was telling her it took a lifetime to learn how to use magic properly because you just know Lena will somehow be an exception to that rule despite being such a skeptic.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm so confused by the Diggle cameos, especially with the "Worlds Await!" teaser as he departs. Fortunately I have little investment in his character as I stopped watching Arrow in S2 or 3, otherwise I imagine I'd be getting really frustrated at how they're wasting his appearances on each of the shows.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
"I remember this. I didn't go because I was afraid I'd be seen."

I think she was on the right track there, but what she really needed to do was allow herself to be seen (properly) by the world after rescuing the plane, instead of flying off.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Even if they managed to destroy a totem, what makes them think another artefact representing that 'element' wouldn't take its place? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

Instead of destroying them, why not make them incredibly difficult to recover? Throw one into the event horizon of a black hole, or the phantom zone, or into the centre of the Earth (via J'onn).

Also, it bugs me that Kara gave that speech about stopping the nukes to her team instead of to the public. Stopping the nukes deals with the immediate threat, but the promise of meaningful intervention and change is what inspires hope.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Also Esme is frequently gaining new, often unfamiliar powersets which she can't control so it's not at all unreasonable for her to want to switch them off sometimes. Poor kid needs some stability in her life.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

jassa posted:

"I remember this. I didn't go because I was afraid I'd be seen."

I think she was on the right track there, but what she really needed to do was allow herself to be seen (properly) by the world after rescuing the plane, instead of flying off.

Called it, she was afraid of being seen by the world as herself. Kinda wish we could see the result of her living openly as Kara Danvers, super-powered reporter and EiC of CatCo but I guess we'll have to save that for comics and fanfic!

I'm so happy for Nia & Brainy, they're the best characters on this show and deserved a happy ending.

I don't really have anything positive to say about the Nyxly/Lex stuff, or how all that was resolved. Good riddance to them and that whole plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching the last two episodes and I'm really surprised at the reaction in this thread because, jesus christ, they were absolute dogshit.

I think we're all just focusing on the positives because that's what we want to remember about the show. It had a lot of heart but not much of a brain.