Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wasn't he the Bears DC with Trestman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Wasn't he the Bears DC with Trestman?

Special Teams

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
WHY ARE NFL RATINGS DOWN? THE LEAGUE’S GREED HAS FINALLY CAUGHT UP TO IT

quote:

No matter how big the NFL’s TV ratings and money haul were in recent years, it never seemed good enough for The Shield. Commissioner Roger Goodell openly stated in 2010 that his goal was to grow league revenue from $8.5 billion to $25 billion by the year 2027. That’s an average of almost $1 billion in additional revenue per year. As a result, the league and its owners have consistently squeezed every last dime out of its fans in the last decade at the expense of the game itself.

Let’s start with the league’s two biggest money grabs in recent years: Thursday Night Football and games in London.

Since it started in 2006, Thursday Night Football has been endlessly panned for the poor play and bad games it routinely churns out. Asking NFL players to play two games in the span of four days is absolutely ludicrous.

Take this past Thursday’s game between Arizona and San Francisco. Carson Palmer couldn’t play because he didn’t have enough time to recover from a concussion the week before, leaving us with a showdown between Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert for a pair of 1-3 teams. Gee, why wouldn’t anyone want to watch that?

The games in London started in 2007 because of the league’s obsession with football becoming a global game like the NBA, even though the United States and Canada are the only countries that play it at any significant level. I watched the first London game because it was fun and different, but the novelty of it has long since worn off. Like Thursday Night Football, the London games have mostly been snooze-fests because changing the players’ weekly routines by traveling overseas, being paraded around London and having the Jacksonville Jaguars play there almost every year leads to bad games.

Like most Americans, I didn’t feel the need to watch a bad game between average teams at 9:30 AM sandwiched between a full day of college football and 10 hours of more NFL games. And I’m in the Eastern time zone. Did a single person on the West Coast wake up at 6:30 AM local time to watch the Jaguars and Colts? If so, may God have mercy on their soul.

But it’s not just the Thursday night and London games that are suffering from poor play. The entire league has a problem on its hands.

This was never more apparent than Super Bowl 50, possibly the worst-played Super Bowl of my lifetime. Yes, the Broncos played great defense. But it was also a miserable game full of unforced errors, penalties and turnovers featuring 11 sacks and zero passing touchdowns. The most memorable moment of the game was Cam Newton not even trying to recover a game-sealing fumble.

As noted by The Ringer, the rookie salary scale instituted in 2011 is largely to blame for the lacking on-field product. Because NFL owners were tired of giving huge contracts to unproven rookies, players’ initial four-year contracts were drastically reduced. The idea at the time was that this would result in more money for veterans — but it hasn’t worked out that way.

Instead, NFL teams have hoarded players on cheap contracts and shed veterans that cost exponentially more, continually dropping the league’s average age.

“Let’s be honest, the younger the league, the less experienced the league is and with that, the quality of play doesn’t start off at the same level,” Packers head coach Mike McCarthy told The Ringer. “I think what you see, particularly in the early part of the season, is a reflection of that.”

Carson Wentz deserves all the credit in the world for garnering MVP talk in the first month of his rookie season, but what does it say about NFL defenses that he’s slicing through them with ease just months removed from playing against the likes of Western Illinois and Jacksonville State?

And then there’s the actual experience of watching a game. I’ve completely crossed off the idea of attending NFL games, which are cesspools of drunken goons fighting each other. But naturally, owners don’t do anything to curb the drinking at games because that would hurt their bottom line.

Watching from home isn’t much better. Thanks to endless commercials, games take forever. There’s no better way to kill momentum in a game than to follow up a touchdown with a touchback sandwiched between two commercial breaks, providing a gap of almost 10 minutes in real time between real game action.

Finally, there’s the NFL’s long-standing deal with DirecTV which provides a brutally sharp contrast with college football viewing the day before. On Saturdays, I can watch all of my alma maters’ games and dozens of other games on my basic cable package. That’s what allows me to flip between incredible finishes like in Week 5 when I flipped to the North Carolina-Florida State game just in time to see a 54-yard winning field goal as time expired and then, moments later, tuned in for the end of Tennessee-Georgia and the Vols’ Hail Mary.

I could never do that with NFL games, as I only get three day games on TV. And as a New York resident, two of those feature the Giants and Jets. If I want to get the NFL’s Red Zone channel to see all best finishes live, that costs me $50 extra. And if I want to watch my favorite team, I have to pay $270 for Sunday Ticket and watch all the games on my laptop.

And yet, instead of scaling back their cash grabs, the NFL continues to plow forward. On top of the three NFL games in London per season, the Texans and Raiders are playing in Mexico City on Nov. 21 for some reason. The NFL is determined to put a regular season game in China as early as 2018. The chatter about an NFL franchise in London grows louder every year. It’s only a matter of time until the regular season expands from 16 to 18 games — and possibly 22 games one day.

Through all this, NFL owners still have the gall to wonder, “What’s wrong with our viewers?”

The answer is that we finally wised up.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I agree with all of that except the SB 50 being the worst played SB

was this person like not alive in 2005 for Steelers/Seahawks because gently caress. SB50 was fantastic, as long as you appreciate defense. Saying it was the worst game ever played is kind of an insult to all the defensive players.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah it wasn't a great one but it was by no means terrible

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

actually it's because the blacks are disrespecting our national anthem

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

I also don't think rookie salary caps are the worst thing in the world. Maybe there's a balance that needs to be struck, but I can definitely remember everyone saying how out of hand it was getting around the time when Sam Bradford was being signed for more money than Peyton Manning having never played a down in the NFL.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Isn't there a sizable NFL following in Mexico making it the obvious choice for international expansion?

I remember some south American country also has an inexplicable following to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

was this person like not alive in 2005 for Steelers/Seahawks because gently caress. SB50 was fantastic, as long as you appreciate defense. Saying it was the worst game ever played is kind of an insult to all the defensive players.

The Super Bowl was generally a terrible game all throughout the 80s and 90s other than a year here and there. The 49ers beat the Broncos by 45 points in 1990.

Maybe this guy is under 26 or maybe he thinks one team being good makes a game well played, I'm not sure which. I'll take the bum fight every time, although like you said that was not what went on last year.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Blarfk posted:

I also don't think rookie salary caps are the worst thing in the world. Maybe there's a balance that needs to be struck, but I can definitely remember everyone saying how out of hand it was getting around the time when Sam Bradford was being signed for more money than Peyton Manning having never played a down in the NFL.

I definitely was on the side of rookie wage scales when it came out for this reason. What did Stafford do to earn that paycheck? Bradford? Nothing really. And teams were essentially handicapping their salary cap for completely unproven rookies so you can't really build around the rookie using leftover money and if you ended up with a bust that was a huge amount of money wasted. I didn't expect this extreme youth favoritism to be a side effect though, I'll admit that.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Hasnt a coach blamed the general poo poo play around the league on the new practice restrictions? Cant get up to game speed if you cant play at that speed all week.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Seems more likely that the further divergence of college and pro playing styles, combined with severely limited practice schedules would have way more of effect on the on-field product than the rookie wage scale, but what do I know?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Febreeze posted:

I definitely was on the side of rookie wage scales when it came out for this reason. What did Stafford do to earn that paycheck? Bradford? Nothing really. And teams were essentially handicapping their salary cap for completely unproven rookies so you can't really build around the rookie using leftover money and if you ended up with a bust that was a huge amount of money wasted. I didn't expect this extreme youth favoritism to be a side effect though, I'll admit that.

To be fair on the Stafford and Bradford front...what has any rookie done to earn the NFL paycheck? The draft is a crapshoot and every year "can't miss" prospects miss.

How do you get around that though? Decrease rookie salaries even more? Farm systems?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i didnt read all of that did he mention the constant barrage of garbage primetime games cause holy poo poo i cant even remember the last good one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe this guy is under 26

That appears to be the case.

https://twitter.com/jimmweber?lang=en

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Bears/Colts Superbowl was pretty lovely too. The Bears might as well have been labeled "opponent".

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It was lovely because the wrong AFC team was there

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the bears would have been destroyed by every single afc playoff team that year, man what a bad team

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

weird Asian candy posted:

To be fair on the Stafford and Bradford front...what has any rookie done to earn the NFL paycheck? The draft is a crapshoot and every year "can't miss" prospects miss.

How do you get around that though? Decrease rookie salaries even more? Farm systems?

The NFL has to pay their rookie players because they are being invested in. But just like a company wouldn't pay it's new hires the same wages as longtime veterans and managers, neither should the NFL, really. But Stafford and Such was basically like hiring a new guy and having him suddenly be the highest paid employee on the floor because he had a nice degree.

Ghost Dog posted:

i didnt read all of that did he mention the constant barrage of garbage primetime games cause holy poo poo i cant even remember the last good one.

Bills/Jets was good fun, but everything else has sucked

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

I definitely was on the side of rookie wage scales when it came out for this reason. What did Stafford do to earn that paycheck? Bradford? Nothing really.

They've worked and honed their craft for 7-8 years at the highest level available to them, and possess a natural skill set that's extremely rare?

Seriously, there's like 20 people in the world that can play the most important position at the highest level of maybe the most valuable sport in the world.

Detroit wasn't bad because they drafted in the top five for like a decade straight; they were lovely because they hired rear end coaches, they couldn't draft for poo poo, and they let Matt Millen run them into the ground.

:qq: rookie wage scale was an absolute crock of poo poo that was NBA-esque in how much it was the owners begging the management to save them from themselves, hasn't even stopped owners from loving over draftees, and the players union hosed up by supporting it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

yeah it was nonsense but draftees are not represented by the nflpa so its pretty natural they would get hosed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

weird Asian candy posted:

I don't think you should have to "earn" a contract by playing in the league for years. Stafford and Bradford had talent and potential which has value. Perhaps those teams paid too much for that potential but that's a decision a team has to make on their own. The league shouldn't protect teams from themselves or mitigate risk.

Getting rid of the rookie scale contracts wouldn't be a disaster. Teams have gotten much smarter over the years. We've seen the league adjust as to what they value running backs. I think you'd see them adjust to how they value draft picks as well. Teams would perhaps work out deals in advance and be more willing to part with picks if they weren't willing to take the risk.

As for the draft being a crapshoot, I'd say that free agency isn't that much better. With injuries being so prevalent, your big free agent signing could blow out his knee in training camp and never be the same again. They may fail to adapt to your system. There have been some terrible free agency signings over the years.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yeah this was it. I remember Bears fans shutting on him because he was a big drop off from Toub

I had no idea about the stadium collapsing on him tho. Lol

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

"As noted by The Ringer..."

I'm very skeptical about the claim that the quality of the game being played corresponds to ratings. That may be true of the ratings for certain teams but I don't think there is an overall measurable difference between the present and the supposed halcyon era of "good games."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Niwrad posted:

I don't think you should have to "earn" a contract by playing in the league for years. Stafford and Bradford had talent and potential which has value. Perhaps those teams paid too much for that potential but that's a decision a team has to make on their own. The league shouldn't protect teams from themselves or mitigate risk.

One thing I've always thought was bad about the rookie scale was how long some of the contracts were. Players shouldn't be playing for five years on their rookie contract. It should be three years at most. That's enough time to exhibit whether or not the player is a bust and is worth further (and greater) monetary investment.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Brannock posted:

One thing I've always thought was bad about the rookie scale was how long some of the contracts were. Players shouldn't be playing for five years on their rookie contract. It should be three years at most. That's enough time to exhibit whether or not the player is a bust and is worth further (and greater) monetary investment.

Isn't the length of the contract based on what round your drafted in?

1st Round is: 4 Years with 5th Year Team option that is based on average contracts of the top 12 players at that position? The first 4 years are way below league average but good players usually get their pay days.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i know what side we're on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBJUHfYuZ9I

go ralders

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus I just saw how many fins were injured and out of Tennessee.

No wonder we got our asses beat holy god

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/status/785604030131077125

apparently his neck injury is career threatening

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Week 6 N/V: An Everlasting Battle on the Astroturf of Our Souls

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah. We were down seven starters.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Just couldn't handle the exotic smashmouth

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

I hadn't watched any of the Texans game, so thought the anti-Osweiler hysteria was getting a bit crazy considering it was the Vikings.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CucBd8bXYAAFtMj.mp4

Nevermind
I didn't know the Texans traded for Alex Smith

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

Are you taking any solace in the fact that Lamar Miller isn't really tearing anything up in Houston?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Are you taking any solace in the fact that Lamar Miller isn't really tearing anything up in Houston?

joe philbin was....right?

Nov 6, 2002

Bills upcoming schedule
49ers
@Dolphins
Patriots

Patriots upcoming schedule
Bengals
@Steelers
@Bills

It's certainly possible that when the Patriots go to Buffalo that the Bills are in charge of the division.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ehud posted:

And some of them, I assume, are good players.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brain Curry posted:

And some of them, I assume, are good players.

Tunsil is good
Albert is still decent
Misi is average at best
Jenkins sucks this year
Howard is probably our best corner and he's a rookie
Cameron blows
Foster is good

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It's certainly possible that when the Patriots go to Buffalo that the Bills are in charge of the division.

Give Rex Ryan head coach for life if he sweeps the Patriots and wins the division, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ehud posted:

Tunsil is good
Albert is still decent
Misi is average at best
Jenkins sucks this year
Howard is probably our best corner and he's a rookie
Cameron blows
Foster is good

Foster's body is comprised of cotton candy and glass. Dude can go when the stars align, but his natural state is on IR.

• Locked thread