Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

i haven't played it in years so i still don't get how junctions work. i was thinking of getting it again

Turn a good card from the card game into a ton of magic, then junction it to hp. Then you stay at 2499/9999 hp and spam limit breaks on every turn by hitting the circle button because it checks anew every time you select a new character.

There's like half a dozen other ways to break the game, and I kind of liked how it abruptly swings from really hard to really easy once you figure them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

1) Final Fantasy Legend II
2) Final Fantasy Legend

?) Final Fantasy Legend III dunno never really played it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Super Rad posted:

Anyone here play the episodic sequel to FF4 that they released for the Wii? I was on a serious benzo kick at that point in my life but I vaguely remember grinding each and every chapter for the best gear - people on GameFAQs had even determined timings and paths to guarantee certain random encounters and their loot - I think there were some random-drop chests that could be manipulated too. Good times.

on the one hand it's a bad game, but on the other it's exactly what I pictured in my head as a second grader daydreaming about a FFII sequel

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

anyone else play the romancing saga games? kind of like the snes final fantys in some ways and really, really different in others

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

i can't believe how powerful the calculator is in fft. especially on maps where your squad all starts on the same height. buff the poo poo out of them and then just roll over everyone.

now that i have all the skills and switched back to a mage the speed boost just breaks it.

true, but in the time it takes to grind up a calculator you could probably break the game in half a dozen other ways (that's a good thing)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Getting back into Bravely Second this weekend, I'm gonna finish it, maybe. Idk how far I am from the actual end but I've got access to 90% of the jobs and shops that sell endgame equipment for ungodly sums (999999 Gil, for example)

turn your 3ds upside down and you can buy it for 666666

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

the run of games frm 7-10 have basically the most epic minigames in jrpgs other than maybe the card game in xenosaga 1 or fishing in 15

e: xenosaga had badass minigames in general actually, the card game fuckin rocked nd the puzzle game in 3 was really cool

I never finished Xenosaga because i just kept playing the card game

Triple Triad was awesome because it looks like a time wasting minigame but its actually central to completely breaking the actual game.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

XV coming to Steam 2018

time to start clearing my backlog...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone been to that Final Fantasy orchestra tour thing? Missus and I trying to decide if we should go, we liked the Zelda concert we went to but she's not really familiar with FF.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think there is a lot of extra content in 12 but so much of it is end game content or really long side quests that require very specific steps from early in the game that have a big payoff way later.

Isn't there something retarded like you get the best weapon by NOT opening a specific set of chests

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, floating continent is the game's toughest challenge. It's all downhill after that in terms of difficulty, thanks to the usual FF power curve.

Also gets much less linear past that point.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

12 I'll always give credit for having its main characters more or less uninvolved with the main narrative. It's like "hey here's all this high-nobility political strife and conflict. Oh, wonder what that annoying little boy and friends are up to."

weren't they not even in the original script and then management came down and said, "this is Japan, we can't have adult protagonists what are you thinking"

And yeah VIII is fun if you aren't trying to play it in a boring grindy way

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rediscover posted:

It's my favorite FF accessory. I have 3 of them, and 1 of them I got literally like 2 hours into the game, somehow? But it's sick. I am now playing as solo Celes feeding fish to Cid to keep him from dying I guess. it's tight

Let him die imo

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

basically they think world of ruin is deviant western non-linear nonsense with no plot or story

But I thought they liked Romancing SaGa? Unless that's a totally separate fanbase.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

There is definitely still some tedium, especially since you have to go through the whole storyline and the beginning isn't great, but it is much better than 11 yes

Yeah, it's still an MMO, but it's about as good as a game can be within the confines of the genre.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

How do you know how big a t-Rex's foot is. You ever seen one?

https://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/2016/03/how-big-were-t-rexs-feet/

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Steam version of IX has the fast forward button right? I think the battle load times would kill me on PSX.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's honestly only a couple bad FF games, and the series has enough variety that anyone can find some they like. People who think you can only do Final Fantasy one way are stupid.

Which are the bad ones in your opinion?

FF2 is probably the worst because even if you like that kind of broken leveling system you could just play SaGa instead.

I've never heard anyone give an opinion either way on FF3, is it just completely forgettable or what?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I should play 12 at some point since it's the only FF left I haven't played

You played 11?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The mobile versions of Dragon Quests 1-6 are all good, which is surprising because they're for phones, but no, it's true. I would go so far as to say they're the best versions available, but there is some disagreement about 1-3 specifically, and of course if you really hate touch controls you're going to prefer the DS versions of 4-6.

I played 1-6 this way and yeah they're great ports. It's also awesome that they are all playable vertically, for one handed gaming on the go.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

drat i'll have to check that out

I think it had sound issues like 6 so make sure you get the patched version

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i got all the way to the end of Final Fantasy 4, but Zeromus kills two of my party members every time he casts Big Bang even with Dark Matter, and I hosed up my save states so i'd have to go back two hours, so i quit, lol

I played it massively under leveled cause I ran away nonstop, and it's still beatable if you keep Rosa healing nonstop and get lucky with Kain's jump helping him miss a few big bang cycles.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The GBA remakes have patches to fix the sound now so there's no reason not to play them.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the gently caress

She likes final fantasy. Hell, so do I.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol that FFXIV is now the best run part of Square.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dragon Quest team, who have clearly sequestered themselves in a monastery somewhere that the rest of Square-Enix can't find.

Yeah, it's actually kind of good that Square management is too incompetent and disorganized to track down and infect them.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I think theres cool story stuff that does happen in that long stretch, especially the back half as it leads into heavensward, but it is hella long.

A lot of it is go talk to a person 10 feet away, watch a cut scene, then go back to the quest giver and watch another cutscene.

And content still assumes you're capped at 50 so it's piss easy and doesn't do much to break up the cutscenes.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It has all the bad stuff from MMOs but they put in the good stuff from final fantasy. I didn't think I'd like it but it won me over.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Now that the XV dlc is cancelled when are we gonna see any mainline series games again? VII seems dead and I haven’t heard about anything else

FFXIV is the final Fantasy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fingers crossed for Scarlet Grace localization.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's a 1/64 drop in FFL2 I've never gotten despite trying reasonably hard. The game came with a little chart listing every item so I knew it existed even pre-internet.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is Ar Tonelico a pervert series? The artist just did the Langrisser remake.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Patch 4.56 Hype. I wonder if the Warrior of Light will succumb to the Echo.

Dude. Six new fish added.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

Ok and that ties into what you were saying of how anyone can basically do most of the jobs. I noticed the crafting is treated like its own class, so presumably you just equip say a lance or whatever and you’re just level 1 again and can start running the queues (at appropriate level obviously)? Thats pretty clever, but can totally understand burning out quick on that.

Doing the low level dungeons again with new classes is fun, it's doing them as your endgame class but with 90% of your abilities locked, for the 30th time, that can drag. Also some of them are just bad dungeons that date all the way back to 1.0.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

matti posted:

installed mednafen and ff7

dang i had 8 on the pc as a kid and played chrono trigger on an emulator a lot but i guess ive never finished an actual square game

i did finish dq1 nes couple years back but got stuck in the second one and it felt like a chore anyway. is dq2 worth a retry or just skip to 4 or sthing?

The remakes of 2 are rebalanced to be considerably less painful. 4,5,6 are all great though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

DQ6 was fun (I played the remake) and the job system is good. But there's definitely a segment in the middle of the game where the plot kind of disappears and you're wandering around aimlessly looking for quests.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I just started Shadowbringers and it's intensely rad.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cloud only Smash hype tonight???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

man nurse posted:

It’s the exact same except with new high res character models. I’d say it’s worth it though. 8 is really fun when you figure out how to break the junction system by turning enemies into cards and then refining the cards into really OP magic. You can go the extra mile and also avoid leveling up which will allow you to one shot most bosses.

Don't feel bad about breaking VIII because the 'right' way to play it is a complete mystery.