Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I was a dumb kid who didn't realize how junction worked so I spammed GFs in every fight in FF8 until things were dead.

i haven't played it in years so i still don't get how junctions work. i was thinking of getting it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i started playing 8 again and have been using the junction system and it's awesome.

100% sleep rate with attacks is fun

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i'm assuming you can turn cards into magic with GF abilities?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i've been playing fft again in addition to viii. picked up an old save file and i'm getting close to finally having a fully skilled calculator.

people tended to hate on dancers but they seem okay to me? gonna get those skills and convert back to lancer.

also ffviii is starting to break. making items to magic is doing it. i have almost learned card>item too.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my calculator in fft now has all his moves. just need to go back and learn more magic now.

just started chapter 3 and i am clowning dudes. i've kept the main guy a squire but with double swords and he's a monster.

with this and ffviii i feel i'm getting better at jrpgs. kinda feel like trying chrono cross again after these are done

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i can't believe how powerful the calculator is in fft. especially on maps where your squad all starts on the same height. buff the poo poo out of them and then just roll over everyone.

now that i have all the skills and switched back to a mage the speed boost just breaks it.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

P-Mack posted:

true, but in the time it takes to grind up a calculator you could probably break the game in half a dozen other ways (that's a good thing)

yeah the early grinding is so hard because of their speed and completely useless moveset until you unlock all the numbers. casting haste doesn't even help.

it's amazing how fast you can get some jobs to completion. dancer is insanely fast.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

beepstreet posted:

I'm playing FF8 for the first time in 10 years and I was digging it until I got to Disc 2 where the pacing has gone off a cliff. Is it going to get fun again anytime soon? I'm at the concert at Fisherman's Horizon.

you got a bit until anything interesting happens.

from the prison it gets way too dialogue heavy for a bit

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

betting on monster fights is insanely addicting. i just discovered the coliseum yesterday and spend probably 5 hours at it.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my son really loves just watching the car travel.

i am really sick of trying to get a sturdy helixhorn. doing the same hunt over and over is tiring

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i did the festival stuff, it's charming. nothing too mind blowing though

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

is the chocobo event in XV worth checking out? i signed in just to get the mariachi outfit

it's nothing special and there aren't really any good exclusive items, but the city looks very pretty and the recipes you get may be a little useful.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

the cactuar timed quest is decent, i never fought one in the regular game and 100 of them is pretty drat hard. went up 12 levels though

the 333 ap is awesome too.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

It's really combat focused and will last an hour at most. It fleshes out the story a bit. I would just wait for more dlc to reinstall and do it all at once

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i really don't remember hearing much about zodiac age when it came out. would it have aged well?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

is the deluxe edition in a steel book? that might be cool.

the dlc is good because it fills in the story a bit and the seasons pass gives you items that makes AP progression more reasonable imo

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In Training posted:

i always really liked the IX overworld music, its almost sad and pretty low-key compared to the usually very boisterous adventuring music found throughout the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wPtSRvHak

This is a cool track, makes me want to get this

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

is the ipad version of fft any good? i'm sure i will want to replay it again but it would be easier mobile for me

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In Training posted:

Thinking about getting that PS4 version of XII....

i bought the steel book version but haven't even started it. i was watching my wife play and it looks great.

i've seen it on sale often already

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Just finished zodiac age... good as hell.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I thought it was good but halfway through I went back to finish some sidequests so it broke the chapter up a little. While I was watching my wife play through it straight through I could understand some of the complaints but from what you are saying I don't think those are the resolutions I would think of.

Excited for episode Ardyn, it was one of the better options from their survey of what people would want added but I think some stuff about Gentiana would be cool

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I went to the Zelda orchestra thing and it ruled. Actually now that I think about it, I should go to more of those.

I got Final Fantasy Zodiac Age for black friday, I'm excited as hell but I'm trying to finish some other games before gb gotys

Zodiac age is a really good remaster. the small quality of life improvements (one button game speed increase in particular) really help make the game feel like it isn't 2 generations old

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Yeah ffxv has always been really enjoyable despite its flaws that were blown way out of proportion, or were intentional design elements that people dunked on cause they didn’t fit in their idea of what a jrpg should be. I can only imagine how amazing it must be playing through for the first time now with all the free added content and features.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ff12 is a really good remake. It's so nice you can have all the gambits available right away as opposed to having to find them in the world, makes combat much more enjoyable.

I used the piggyback guide from the ps2 version and it was good for most of it but some of the sidequests changed a bit.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

My only real complaint about 12 was the lack of side quests.

Cool that they give you all the gambits right away though.

I think there is a lot of extra content in 12 but so much of it is end game content or really long side quests that require very specific steps from early in the game that have a big payoff way later.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Party leader: target (full health) -> steal

Anyone else target (party leaders target) -> attack.

This makes sure Theres a round of stealing at the start of every battle.

I always made these super complicated by making them steal between 50% and 30% health while starting the battles with a lot of debuffs and poo poo. I def used every gambit slot and basically put on fast forward and just let the game play itself, you really don’t even need to use lots of commands even for bosses if you are set up well.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

so that $20 includes all the new royal edition and a season pass?

No just the royal addition stuff. Even season pass owners need to buy it I think

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

vaginal facsimile posted:

The characters in FF12 are interesting except Vaan and his gf

I think I read here that they were basically just thrown in cause the idea of playing as adults in Japan is wild or whatever. You could take vaan and penelo our entirely and it would make no difference plot wise

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

Jumped back into 15 last night for a couple hours and being able to accept more than one hunt (you can have up to 10) active is insanely convenient.

Multiplayer is also still real cool but no one plays it sadly.

Ah that kinda sucks, I haven’t tried it yet. Is it still fun solo?

I started ffxiii this morning and I really like the battle system so far. Feels like you are constantly doing something, really engaging. It also looks gorgeous for a ps3 game.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

zodiac age is such a good remake because they don’t gently caress with a good formula, just add a bunch of qol stuff.

Even the rearranged ost is a subtle but pleasant change (though you can just switch to the old one if you want)

I want to platinum it when I do a ng+

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

After 4 chapters of XIII I am kinda bummed about being on rails much of the time. It’s a fun game to play in small bursts, but after an hour or so I have enough. The battle system has finally been fleshed our completely now which is nice. It’s v satisfying to stagger tough enemies.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

vaginal facsimile posted:

Also, piggybacking on taht question, what about using revies? I feel like you could double cast revive since there's no way to stagger death.

Yeah that happens. You could just set your healer to cast revive and manually use a Phoenix down if they get got.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

From the gameplay vids it looks like the same game but in this lovely looking phone game engine. Seems there will be some changes to make the menus a bit easier to use but otherwise nothing much else new?

The original looks much better.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

If it was 20 bucks or whatever that would be great but it’s pretty expensive for what it is.

I’ve just finished the gapra underwood in xiii and I’m digging it again. I have had a craving for tactics lately so maybe after I finish this I will continue my last game I never finished. I need to get my black mage/calculator to learn holy.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm loving the combat is XII. being able to set up strategies for my party members and them being automatically executed in battle is extremely satisfying. is the battle system in XIII anything like it? or are there any other jrpgs that have a Gambit system?

Edit: IT explained it way better.

I think XIII has a fun battle system but if you are looking for the versatility of XII you will be disappointed. XIII feels more like an action game in many ways which is a fun change of pace from the rest of the series.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 14, 2018

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I started FFXV again and am going to try a level 1 run through. Using the nixperience band makes the game play so much more naturally with camping and cooking whenever

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

What are some good time mage gambits

Edit: for zodiac age.

Avoid a lot of the offensive magic on gambits because a ton of enemies are immune to those attacks. Gravity will work well on most run of the mill enemies so that is okay as long as you remember to turn it off for bosses and such. I used slowga a ton and would have used haste magic a lot more if I found it earlier so don’t make that mistake like me.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The ffix over world music is the best and when my daughter was a little baby it used to instantly put her to sleep

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’ve put about 12 hours into my level 1 XV run and I’m still on chapter 3 cause I have kept busy doing hunts and sidequests along with trying to get good gear. A lot of time you just spend getting around but it still feels enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lol