Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked being able to mess with the RGB sliders in the config menu to make all the menu boxes weird colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I need to do something like this. The only FF games I've beat are I and II on GBA and III on the DS. I feel like I should at least play VII, VIII, and IX... X, X-II and the XIII games too probably.
FF6 is one of the best games every made, so don't skip it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF
I preordered a new PS4 along with this and FF15. I love this series so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.
Mog is on the cover of Final Fantasy 3 in the U.S.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The XIII-2 alternate ending stuff was a fun system, more people should blatantly rip off that aspect of Chrono Trigger.
It's insane how few games steal from Chrono Trigger. Nothing CT does is super complicated or hard to borrow. It's a really good game but it's not crazy complex or mechanically deep. Just steal the cool ideas and put them in another game. It has so many cool things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I kind of want to try ff14 since I heard it's really fun
I didn't like it much the first time I played it, but I recently came back and have been liking it more. You have to be willing to read all the text and really engage with the world and lore, because it's all buried in dialogue and stuff. I've been liking it a lot more as I've been doing it. It can be kind of boring otherwise. The world isn't very interesting, visually, which is disappointing for a Final Fantasy game.

It has a cool dungeon system, though, and the players are way more helpful and cooperative than in something like WoW.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And like all MMOs, it's hilariously easy for the first chunk of the game. You level fast, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

3 is really unfun to play, and the DS version somehow made it even worse. Music's good, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xyV-Rz5Jk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Start with 1, NES version :troll:
I still can't believe I had enough free time as a kid to beat Dragon Warrior and FF1 on the NES.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Office Surprise Store posted:

the crystal tower/binding coil of bahamut look r.good but idk what level you are
I played up to 40 before I quit the first time. I love the Empire's aesthetic, but you don't really get to play in their areas AFAIK, you just see a bunch of cool Magitek poo poo in cutscenes and then it's back to plains/desert/forest. It was frustrating. That's my biggest complaint with the game, is just that FF games should be a lot more interesting in terms of environment design. The series is usually really good at that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

its cool when a game has that and you can stock up on limited availability items by just getting more on each playthrough, that was a 10-2 thing
10-2 did the NG+ really well, I think it's my favorite outside of CT.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Office Surprise Store posted:

yeah the overworld is kind of boring, they hid all their good design inside dungeons and stuff

I figure it's a consequence of having to completely remake the game while it was still running, but I hope future expansions (which they still have planned as far as I know) have more interesting areas outside the dungeons. The fact there are just three big overworld areas, and one of them is a big empty stupid desert, kinda sucks. The other two areas are honestly alright, but I know Square can do more than "dark forest zone" and "green hill zone."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i remember when i first got 10-2, i didnt understand that it was all about the sidequests, so when it kept telling me to go places, i just would go there instead of going every place except that, and i was annoyed wondering why the game was so hard

i think i didnt realize until a friend had the strat guide with him at school and it was thick as hell
You're supposed to go to every area every chapter, there's a ton of poo poo you can find. I liked the fast forward and no-encounters options on the HD version for having to run through areas to see if anything new was there without using a guide.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

X-2 is a way better game than X but I imagine people were pissed paying full price for a game that was basically a copy paste of X's art and world
What they do with it is so much more interesting than X's world though, it's a total transformation. It makes X feel so stiff and lifeless. Which is probably accurate, thematically.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I used a Red Mage in FF1 instead of a White Mage and it didn't go very well. I was stuck on the final boss for ages until I realised I could just spend five turns buffing/Hasting my fighter and one shot him lol
My favorite party is two Red Mages, a White Mage, and a Black Mage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Super Rad posted:

loving lmao, I was doing a pretty good job of holding it together until that last line, jesus.
loving lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

didnt much care for the world of final fantasy demo. the stacking stuff is fun , but its just so easy.
I think the whole game's probably going to be crazy easy, but I don't even care. It's super charming and I love it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

FFIX is an amazing game, the moreso for the fact that in the long storied history of FF, it's the only main title that tried doing the throwback and it pulls it off perfectly
It's pretty much a perfect game. I love it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

It sucks that the side characters become no bodies as their stories wrap up. I loved Freya and didn't like that she totally got shoved aside after Cleyra
She and Amarant get some good character moments together and I wish they got more time to play off each other.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The side quest that people didnt find for a decade is cool
It's insane. FF9 does so so much to encourage players to explore every inch of the map and there's still poo poo to find. Who knows what else is hidden somewhere on the discs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And what a world it is too. They managed to make so many distinct places in the FFIX world without it feeling disjointed in the least. Even when you get to Terra which has its own weird aesthetic, it still gels with the rest of the game.

I really should replay it sometime. I'm sure it's aged better than a lot of PSX JRPGs.
Terra is FF9's Kingdom of Zeal and it owns for all the same reasons. I love it so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

woah the final fantasy people are a tough crowd
We're moms.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like that guys post. Enthusiasm is good
You know who else had enthusiasm? Kefka.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

10-2 is much better and one of the best final fantasies. i really dont think much of 10
10 is really boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

This game has gotten way smoother and the camera is sooo much better than the demos. I suddenly got extremely excited for XV again
I'm downloading the platinum demo just because I'm curious, although I've heard it's not as good. But I haven't played an FF demo since FF8, so I'm pumped. I have it on preorder anyway because I love Final Fantasy. I hope all the 13 games get ported to PS4 with framerate improvements and such.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Spoilers for those who don't want to know the opening gameplay scene: you start by very slowly pushing your car because it's out of gas and as you start rolling into the desert landscape Stand By Me starts playing
Owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Foxhound posted:

I really like World of Final Fantasy can I post about it in this thread
It's got some really clever writing, I enjoy it a lot. Reminds me of Dragon Quest.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i didnt like the demo much. is the game better ? i like the stacking thing but the game seems so easy that it doesnt really matter.
It's kind of like Pokemon. Main game is really easy, it has lots of hard optional content especially post-game. I'm not totally impressed by the gameplay - it definitely doesn't have Pokemon's depth - but the writing is really fun. So if that's enough to keep you interested like it was for me, check it out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just got this, installing update now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was fighting some Garula and got attacked by a bunch of wolves and like sixteen Imperials, it was an insane fight. This game owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The closeups of the food in this game are driving me crazy
There was a close-up of a stew, and the liquid in the bowl actually moved around, rather than just being a flat texture on the model.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Playing a Final Fantasy game with people dressed in normal clothing and guys named Dave is weird. It's really fun so far though
My friends Prompto, Gladiolus, and Dave.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I got attacked in the night by an Iron Giant, and while running away ran into a Reaper. The Reaper was a lower level, so I figured I could kill it, but the Iron Giant chased me and joined the battle. Later, after completing a hunt, the same two monsters teleported in and attacked me together, and that's when I realized they had teamed up and were hunting me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also like that rather than wait around for me and sending a couple guys with swords to kill me, the Empire is actively trying to find and kill me, and sends units of like a dozen snipers to pick me off. They can do a lot of damage surprisingly fast, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fiber posted:

i didn't think i would mess with magic too much but empire guys coming off of dropships being so tightly grouped are totally made for dropping aoes
I like to warp in with a greatsword and smash up the main group like bowling pins, then use daggers to warp around and take out snipers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wandered into a mine to see what was at the bottom because when I did the game said something about killing the monster at the bottom of the mines. All the enemies were level 7. The monster was level 52. Discovering really unexpected and high-level things in dungeons was one of my favorite parts of FF12, and I'm glad they brought it back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ran into my first glitch last night during the stream. An enemy grunt got stuck behind a boss door and I couldn't get to him, but thankfully the autosaving in this game is spectacular and I just had to rebuy the FFIX OST before redoing the fight
I had an entire group of imperials all break their AI and start simultaneously running around in tiny circles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Foxhound posted:

:yeah:

I only lack FF6, 9 and 11-12 for the complete collection now. Are any of the offshoot albums like Distant Worlds or Black Mages in the game?
I've found Dissidia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Are the imperial patrols on chapter 3 supposed to feel way darn harder than they were in desert town or is it that my equipment sucks?

If I don't get them all with magic right out the gate they shoot everybody to death in seconds.
They're extremely dangerous because they deal a ton of sustained damage at range that you can't really avoid. Be prepared to use potions, and try to kill them as quickly as possible. I like to warp around with daggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

so one of the overriding things i've heard from people in the last few days is that XV appears to be like, literally set in the VI world, instead of just having a ton of callbacks to it. c/d, imps?
It's stupid to think this.