Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this reminds me that i was playing 9 on the vita but got distracted... time to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i've watched Brotherhood and I'm now watchin Kingsglaive as preparation... this will be loving Epic

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

playing this on a saturday afternoon in december with some coffee is gaming heaven

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same but it's morning, it's snowing like hell, and I still feel like poo poo (v. sick much coughing) but the gaming helps.

Ignis recommends tea with honey and/or lemon to increase video game comfort and help with the sore throat

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

take this Games-esque insane AIDS outside of the Zone

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

having insane poo poo happen and doing cool quests just to hear Fisherman's Horizon (it's usually on repeat) when I get in the Regalia makes for potent gaming feels

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Captain gently caress Face posted:

i think your first 4 rare cards are ifrit, diablos, mog from the student jogging around balamb garden, and zell from zells mother. then use the queen of cards to get either the 'difference' or 'all' trade rule to win multiple cards per game, modify those cards into magic.

also beat seed tests to increase your rank, run around in circles getting paid, buy a bunch of tents, refine into curagas or whatever and have 4000 HP before you even leave the first island. reduce enemies hps with demi (draw from diablos) and use the Card ability to turn them into cards to beat battles without gaining exp. once you have diablos' enc-none ability you can skip all random encounters for the rest of the game except for bosses if you want. you can beat the game at your starting level with all stats maxed doing 9999 damage with 9999 HP.

ff8 ftw

WHAT

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FF8 was always kinda weird to me, the atmosphere (you drive A CAR?????), but I still love it. i'd only played FF6 before it. even with the crazy orphan plot I can barely remember. I got stuck on disc 3 looking for something while cruising in a Garden. time to give this classic another spin.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i listen to a chill mix of ffxiv tunes a lot at work so i agree

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Internet Private Forums User CirclMastr on grinding for 500 hours to reach level 99 in Final Fantasy VII in the first reactor posted:

Life does not have inherent meaning; to say that our lives are pointless and our achievements meaningless is to state the obvious. No matter how grand our achievements or how broad their scope, time turns all to dust and death destroys all memory. But that does not mean we cannot ascribe our own meaning to what we do. It is because nothing has meaning unto itself that we are free to create meaning, to make metaphor, and in doing so reflect on ourselves and our world.

Leveling to 99 in the first reactor is pointless and meaningless. So why do I do it? I do it to express my hatred, and more importantly my disdain, for Dick Tree. I do it to express the camaraderie I feel for those of us who have followed this topic for years only to be disappointed by [Dick Tree]. I do it to prove to myself that I can persevere. The act is meaningless; I give it meaning.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i wish i could import my vita save. seems like a great edition

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I put the GBA FF6 with fixed colours and music on my 3ds and it looks and sounds awesome. Can't wait to play this bad boy again

how you do them fixed colors lar

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FFXII is not discounted on the Square Enix Steam sale and this is a personal attack on me

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao at the retarded uncle fiasco. well, time to resume my first time ff9 playthrough where i got the god drat chocobo because im not a retard

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i like to hang and chill with my roadtrip buddies and haven't even cleared the game yet and im fucken hyped for all this good stuff dlc now where my cup noddles at

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i can't stand the look of phonegame text and modern UI elements in a retro game like that. tried to play DQ1 but couldn't get past it. DQ on DS is really good drat good

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i gotta get back on my bullshit in FFXIV to do the Monster Hunter event, it looks epic and is apparently a permanent feature

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Theres so much game in 14, like even if you hate mmo gameplay theres hundreds of hundreds of hours of good final fantasy story just waiting for you.

I'm not even out of the base game but I really like it. Glad the MH event is permanent because I really like taking my time in this game and just chill.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

A little tip is that the npcs who travel around or are only in places for certain times all have unique dialgoue if you take the time to talk to them, and theres some foreshadowing and other stuff you'll only see if you do try to talk to them.

i've been a bit lazy with that at times, and also sometimes keeping up with the story, which is a shame because it really goes places

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this is going to rule

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ok officially back on my bullshit now time to log in again

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I really wish the FF13 games would find their way on Switch. In fact I want every Final Fantasy game on there (no cursed phone ports).

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

just started ff12 on Switch and why do they keep putting those vastly overleveled monsters in there at random? are you supposed to scan each new enemy type before you engage, since all new enemies are listed as '???' level? not sure how i should be approaching this.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't scan them, there's a passive ability you will get quickly. Dangerous enemies will have red names. Also maybe don't attack the giant dinosaurs when you're a level 1 guy struggling to fight wolves.

That's good because the obvious giant dinosaur aside, I am not seeing visual design that indicates which ones one-shot you and which ones don't. Some werewolves looked like regular grunts with swords and one-shot me, which was a surprise because some bigger fuckers who had cast Protect on themselves in the area before turned out to be no problem. So I was wondering what I'm missing to spot this beforehand.

With an autosave at every location it's not a big deal, but it's just not something I'm used to from Final Fantasy. Normally every location is scaled to your intended level, especially at the beginning, and in FFXV you have clear indicators when something like demons at night are way too powerful for you. But I am really enjoying the game and suffering the best kind of anxiety at picking the first class for every character.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I liked it when I began, but now I'm starting to love FF12. The gambit system is really cool, and I like picking jobs for each character. The setting rules so far.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

what the hell they're changing pets so they're not bots? do i actually have to know what i'm doing all the time as summoner/scholar???

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Magitek

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this is going to be epic

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

play the GBA version of FF6 on an actual GBA, then it's fantastic. otherwise stick to the original SNES version whenever possible. i'd prefer the laggy PS1 version instead of the sprite phonegame on Steam. glad to hear you can mod it easily, though.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

scaling is usually rear end, it's cool to be under or overlevelled as you wish that is one of the finest things about classic jrpgs

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I gotta get back to getting the motorcycle trophy in my remake plat quest, but Hyrule Warriors, Tony Hawk, Arkham are still on my backlog and now there's a Mario collection and more Hyrule Warriors coming. I'm swamped

i know this gamer feel well and it's wonderful. drowning in games ftw.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FF16 is going to look great on the Xbox Series X.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i've still to clear FFXV, i spent so much time doing the hunts and sidequests, and that was even before you could pick up several hunting missions at a time.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao. it's about time to get started on the X/X-2 rereleases so i'll be juggling seven different FF games.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

who am i kidding. i love that. drat it feels good to be a gamer.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

bump_fn posted:

i realized i haven’t replayed ff9 in ages - is the pc port functional or should i just emulate it?

its good, give square enix your money you degenerate

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Man, I'm 7 hours into the second half of FFVI, and I just found out that I was supposed to wait for Shadow on the Floating Continent. I'm kicking myself because that was even mentioned in the Before I Play guide, but I thought the hint was referring to an earlier scene. Are there any particularly good scenes with that character in the second half of the game? Is it worth going back and repeating the seven hours of the game? (I have a save from right before the key point.)

you're this far in, live with the consequences of your actions. it's stuff like this that makes this game so great.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mycophobia posted:

playing ffvii on switch. the scaled up models against the low res backgrounds looks really bad

it doesn't bother me except on ffviii. but i really wish they had developed upscaling tech like some people have done with image AI or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

im a malboro man