Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Way of Choices is so good. It's like ATTE in that the MC wants to become immortal in order to not die. The writing is way better than most webnovels, it's doesn't have any xianxia cliches or it uses them completely differently. The story is also structured more coherently instead of being granular and repetitive (cycles of upgrades in levels and gear with a matching escalation of feuds/enemies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

I decided to give this one a whirl. Not far into it, but I'm enjoying myself so far. Chen Chang Sheng is such a prissy loving nerd :allears: He and Xu You Rong are perfect for each other.

Whoever translated the prologue did a really good job. Strikingly good. It's a pity that the regular translations are so... standard fan translation garbage.
The prologue read like something out of A Wizard of Earthsea. The prose is just so much better than most serialized fiction.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

I never knew staring at rocks could be so intense. :catstare:
Achieve enlightenment by realizing the stars are right :cthulhu:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was pretty clear who it was quite a bit before the "reveal". Just like how Chen Changsheng's senior brother is the queen's only remaining child.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Single player only deals with the video game setting very well since it directly addresses the consequences of everything being a game, and its actually the main problem that the MC has to resolve.

He finds out that pumping charisma at the beginning turns everyone around him into slavish sycophants and as he progresses in the game its somehow becoming more real and leeching the reality from his actual life.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Am I the only one who kinda sees a link between these and the Fountainhead ? In that both web novels authors and Ayn Rand had to make a fantasy world with tenuous connections to reality in order to justify the things they want to do?
It's even worse in Atlas Shrugged since there's a female self insert for Rand to indulge her creepy rape fetish with and there's a bunch of blatant fantastical elements.

This is a setting that basically has adamantium, free energy, and perfect full spectrum electromagnetic shielding and projection. Instead of realizing they're most way to a post scarciety society a bunch of rich dudes gently caress off to create libertopia where they're literally using gold as the medium of exchange.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 30, 2018

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The wheel was invented later than things like agriculture and pottery and wasn't really used in large parts of the world until centuries ago. Things only appear intuitive after they're already known.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Desuwa posted:

I think the straightest that the plot of reincarnated/summoned heroes going on a quest to defeat the demon king has been played in a "modern" web or light novel is in Konosuba.
Isn't Drifters about fighting the orc hordes of Dark Lord Jesus?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tobermory posted:

Still early days, but The Empress' Livestream doesn't seem to be suffering from that. The MC is some sort of military commander from the future, who gets sucked into a Xianxia world by a sapient livestreaming app and reincarnated as the standard girl-disguised-as-a-boy. The app is trying to make her rise to power by scheming and court intrigue, but she prefers to solve all her problems with violence. Basically it wants her to do Dream of the Red Chamber, so far she's well on her way to doing the Water Margin instead.

Anyway, MC is definitely not heterosexual. As she's written so far, it seems unlikely that they're setting her up with an abusive male lead. It might still be crap, though -- I suspect the author might be setting her up with a (female) harem.
It's always hilarious to me how Dreams of the Red Chamber also starts with the same framing as Journey to the West, only one of the cosmic stones that happen to be a fallen shard of heaven turns into an awesome murder monkey and the other..does not.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's a pretty common concept in a lot of cultures actually. For example, the spirit part of "Holy Spirit" from the Bible also translates as "breath". Sky/mountain gods happen to be the the highest ranking deities in lots of religions (again bible), and those are also the places immortals are supposed to live.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There are only a few chapters left. Its supposed to end at around chapter 100.
I'm still thinking that Zorian will have to end up consuming an energy field bigger than his head sealing the Primordial with a soul fusion ritual. Narrative causality needs things to ramp way up, and you can't have that without the eldritch horror actually just sitting in its prison.

Algid fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 6, 2019

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Arbitrary Number posted:

In my experience, if the first name is one character/syllable, then it sounds weird to use it by itself in Mandarin. It sounds fine if it's two characters. So saying Guangli would be fine in Chinese and Gan Guangli would be fine too, but saying Qi instead of Ling Qi would sound weird. But since you're using English what sounds weird in Chinese doesn't really matter.
It's also fine to sometimes repeat a single syllable name as a dimiutive, or have either surname or name paired with something else like a title or diminutive.

People pretty much never use one syllable names by themselves, it would just sound weird.

I also just found out that some compound surnames apparently fromed from merged surnames that got passed on. (Some surnames were Partricial + Matricial surname, in that order, with the Patricial character being passed on by the son).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

This is like a month late but cultivation is pretty easy to grasp since so many of the concepts are cross cultural and can be found in other mythologies and traditions. The problem is that the text isn't necessarily very clear since it might assume a certain level of familiarity and translations don't always try to bridge that gap.

Things like casting spells by chanting certain phrases (a plurality of all fantasy media), using hand signs as a part of magic (D&D, Dr. Strange, Naruto etc.), performance enhancing and/or recovery based consumables (vast majority of rpgs), or even punching stuff very hard are all pretty easy to process if someone has consumed any amount of fantasy media before.

Even the more esoteric concepts can be found if you look hard enough, stuff like the magnus opus of western alchemists being the creation of the philosopher's stone and obtaining immortality (Harry Potter, Fullmetal Alchemist), the concept of a divine breath present in the world that animates life and provides power (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Paradise Lost from trad games), or the idea of a literal internal self called a homunculus which drives the physical body (almost a perfect analog to a "yuanying" or "Nascent Soul" in cultivation stories, though tbf I don't think this is really a thing in recent western media).

Other stuff like sympathetic magic through the use of blood, the sealing of demons (usually through some sort of written magical script), or the animation of corpses via evil magic are all stuff that's pretty easy to grok because you can see it everywhere. Even eastern mythological beasts are roughly analogous to their western counterparts and their narrative purpose is pretty clear. People do stuff like punch dragons because that's badass and that can be communicated without further exposition because it's knowledge you already have via cultural osmosis.

The only things I can think of that aren't clear at first glance would be stuff like cultivation levels, but I think inclusion of something like that is more a consequence of nerds wanting to see numbers go up. Sun Wukong in journey to the west mostly used daoist magics, but there obviously wasn't a discrete power ladder he could climb and judge himself/others by, nor is there a clear singular reason for his immortality and eventual apotheosis because none of that really mattered. The murder-hobo power escalator you see in cultivation stories is more along the lines of what you would find in rpgs where you farm a certain zone from a hub city before you advance to the next level tier to repeat the process. Other things that might not be immediately clear can still be parsed from context; "spiritual power" is literally a bundle of psychic powers including telepathy, local clairvoyance, and telekinesis, things like "flying swords" are just a magical missile weapon shaped like a sword, and when you're riding it instead it's just a fancy mount skin which has the same gameplay narrative purpose as any other sort of flying mount. Stuff like dual cultivation is supposed to be from daoist sexual magics, but stories that actually include that as a major part of the plot is heavily correlated with having the most psychopathic rapist main characters that you would want to avoid anyways.