Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Namtab posted:

You read mahouka? loving lol

seriously, we already have a person for that

e: also I like Shield Hero but can in no way defend it, I guess I was just charmed by the stronger early stuff until it devolved into power fantasy #45625

the light novel/manga seems to keep him on the backfoot a lot more though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Namtab posted:

That's the look on his face in every picture, every last one.

iirc he's emotionless so he only operates on pure flawless logic, which demands that every chinese person die

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jon joe posted:

Imo send a troper to a fantasy world where they try to apply tropes and surprise surprise it's not that simple and they repeatedly get their poo poo hosed up until they learn to stop being such a know-it-all brat and actually apply hard work to fix their situation.

See: Re: Zero

konosuba is kinda this but the opposite, where normal dude enters a world of min-maxers and wins fights by fighting dirty

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FriggenJ posted:

I'm not sure we have the same definition of "wins". He certainly doesn't die much though!

technical victory is still victory, dirty fightin' makes no distinction

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the index guy comes up with all sorts of neat ideas but since he is a terrible writer he fumbles most of them. to some extent railgun is better because it simply lacks the worst poo poo from index. for example, touma, his harem, and his terrible preachy speeches. oh, and everything to do with magic. as for whether someone else is writing railgun, i dunno. it might just be heavily edited unlike the light novels.

ironically touma is a fantastic character in railgun

index is objectively terrible but i enjoy it anyway because im garbage, i will make no attempt to defend myself on this

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

apparently the shield hero LN goes in a different/better direction

i'm not about to try to justify my reading of the WN here in the garbage thread for garbage people who read garbage media though

e: thats a lie i have to justify it because its still bad

it managed to hook me with the actual strong start and i felt compelled to see it to the end

not the first time i've made that mistake, probably won't be the last

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 26, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's me, i'm the guy who likes overlord, even currently when it's just loving about

i just enjoy the joke of:

guy 1: holy poo poo this guy is so loving evil, he will rip all of us assunder

guy 2: we are but pawns dancing in his palm, his machinations can see into eternity

amoral death skeleton, master of all he surveys:

i can see how people with actual taste would dislike it though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cultivation chat group is absurdly good, and along with not being a sociopathic rear end in a top hat i enjoy how the main character isn't the unprecedented super-master of every single cultivation step

i mean yeah he goes through them pretty quick but he's just above-average, he has to rely on wacky shenanigans and bluffing his rear end off to win fights

also he tends to get dragged into ridiculous adventures by his bored, farmville-addicted seniors which leads to poo poo like initial d tractor dragracing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 19, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulva posted:

True Monarch White got teased for a real long time before he showed up, and it's like "Man, I wonder what his deal is going to be?" and then it's like "Yes, that was perfect.". That's pretty drat rare in any novel, let alone by the sketchy standards of web novels.

I loved how all the super-suspicious things everyone said about him were all absolutely true, like he really IS a very kind person who loves to help others

he just also happens to be a godlike being with severe adhd and ridiculous luck that bestows both blessings and disaster in equal measure to everyone around him

e: he's like Daoist Mr Magoo

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

Cold glares and snorts abound

i'm the bystander off to the side who is constantly astonished and vomiting blood

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

whenever i see an astonishing cultivation base i just start barfing red, it's like honking for monster booty

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

True men of culture are only impressed by profound cultivation bases.

*raises monocle and barfs blood into wine glass* my word

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

your annoying memeing is really making my killing intent flare

sir i didn't mean to offend you

*accidentally kicks dust on one of your 3000 magical treasures from my groveling, your glare immediately separates me and my entire city's population at the atomic level and places each individual atom in a separate hell*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

daoist's guide to dating:

find a legendary perfect fairy of whom songs are written. other kinds of women probably don't exist, though.
rape them.
suck out all their value now that they are in love with you, then either ignore them or mourn their tragic death for your sake.
repeat.

you didn't even murder her entire family when they came to rescue her, what kind of lovely daoist are you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

this old man observes from afar with divine sense as my clothes and hair flap silently as if there were wind

behind him a second, more powerful old man observes the first one as his clothes flap at rapid speeds

behind that old man, another old man watches from an entirely different dimension and his robes whip around like he's standing in a wind tunnel

on another plane of existence, a fourth old man watches the third, he is literally a tornado with a beard

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the following series of posts seem like they took a long time to write, but in truth they happened in the span of a few breaths

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jester Mcgee posted:

The dice rolls make it more of an interactive game, and less of a straight webnovel. It's just for fun.

An example of when the dice rolls really mattered is when Ling Qi was trying to explain her feelings to her snake buddy, but totally hosed her social rolls and the thread spent months afterwards trying to recover.

and then they went back for another try later on, but the rolls were successful that time.

that sounds insanely tedious

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

don't all SA forum cyoas abruptly end with the protagonist announcing their sexuality and then killing themselves

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know if it's because I'm a boring person, but I love stories that are a little behind the scenes like this. Yes, you've got a lot of very exciting Kung Fu wizards, but what I really want to know is what their accountant's life is like.

I want to see more about the lives of xianxia villagers

"god drat it the blood death sect has turned the sun into a magical treasure and flew off with it and now it's cold as poo poo"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

The life and times of a Xianxia accountant trying to keep track of everything in his sect and cultivating for the sole reason of finally being able to audit the core inner circle cultivator treasure vault, which has never been audited or organized.

'Divine Excel Method!'

some rear end in a top hat in a robe melted my dog and turned it into a glowing orb then ran away shouting about heaven-defying luck

why did we settle this village on a giant magical turtle

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eopia posted:

Christ, I wasn't expecting this to go into full 'This is the author's fetish and they really really want you to know' territory.

Seriously they outright linked to (and possibly posted? Almost all the image embeds are dead because they still use photobucket for some god forsaken reason.) fetish art.

the digimon fan-fiction part should have clued you in immediately

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eopia posted:

I haven't read digimon fanfiction before, so I was very much unprepared for this.

even if you haven't it's just something you can sense, an aura of :chloe:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

Oh okay we're back to Cringetown.

never question the daoist D.E.N.N.I.S system

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chronische posted:

Because gently caress you I guess. Most MCs don't have connections either, so it's a driving force for them to grow into OP monsters that nobody can just kill when they feel like it, I suppose?

Also, you can't have good people in charge. Good people exist to die so the protagonist has someone to mourn/avenge, obviously. Therefore, if everyone is evil (or at least pretty drat selfish), it's OK when the MC goes on murderous rampages and kills everyone.

the MC is usually way more evil than the people he's murdering though

like he'll melt the entire city because a starving orphan stole one of his spirit carrots or whatever

e: that's why I want to see a Xianxia Villager series, ordinary people having to deal with rear end in a top hat daoists stealing the sun or refining their dog into a powerful magical treasure sounds amazing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 2, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's an exaggerated version of reality. no matter what confucianism says, the people above oppress those below. that's just how stratified societies work, though the severity of the oppression can of course vary. the problem isn't that someone is abusing their authority, but rather that that someone isn't the mc.

murder hobo wn's are power fantasies, but that those fantasies never have the invincible and often immortal demigod protagonists reform an innately un-just society even though it is often totally within their capabilities. the fantasy is about wealth, power and authority for their own sake because that's seen as something to aspire to. revenge and such only provide an excuse.

it probably also plays into the obsession with luck and how luck is somehow an enviable virtue

part of why cultivation chat group rules is that the daoist sect that's all about murder and death and typical xianxia poo poo is shattered and in hiding because everyone teamed up and stomped their poo poo in for being evil

they still kill each-other when they need to(because daoists are notoriously hard to kill and stubborn so it's better to end fights decisively) but the general rule is to keep normies out of it at the very least

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

I pretty much skip anything Chinese aside from Cultivation Chat Group. The writing and setting feels impenetrable, their dao is too strong or something

just read any 10 chapters of anything Er Gen writes and you'll be able to get all of this thread's weird cultivation injokes instantly

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chronische posted:

Don't be absurd. Explanations of such terms are as rare as kirin horns or phoenix feathers!

Cultivation terms might be different (Qi condensation, core formation, ect), but the general idea are pretty much the same. Dudes flying around on swords (or without them), battling with things from thousands of floating blades to a magical taoist compass to throwing suns at each other, usually getting more powerful by seizing legacies or cultivation materials from other people, and all acting like giant assholes.

also absolutely everything has an insanely elaborate name

a standard d&d fireball wand would be called a Master Sun Phoenix Inferno Scepter

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

How come terrible murder hobo novels get translated for thousands of chapters while the chill DnD wizard novel gets nothing?

are people constantly astonished at chill dnd wizard's profound cultivation base, i think not

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chill dnd wizard isn't particularly special, but it's not terrible either which puts it above a lot of other webnovels. hell i'll read it, my time isn't precious

he does have the insanely unfortunate title of "grand wizard" though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

This dank maymay amused me:

been posted, but also funny enough that it should be posted many times so it's cool

it sums up both sides pretty well

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

Forty Milleniums of Cultivation is a sci-fi cultivation xianxia. There are two ways to work magic and/or other weird poo poo into your worldbuilding. One, you can take whatever it is, let's say teleportation, and try to work out how it would affect the economy and the infrastructure and the society, etc. Two, you can just go "okay, so watches and computers and trains exist, but they run on Magic Energy now, it's the modern world but with magic users". FMoC goes the latter route, which I found a bit disappointing, but the worldbuilding is otherwise decent and what you'd expect from "near future sci-fi with mechas and combat ships and robots, etc, but also with cultivators". The author couldn't resist the temptation to make the protagonist a transmigrator from our world but it literally comes up once, when it saves him from being possessed and gives him his Obligatory Cheat Power, and he never thinks about it again for the entirety of the currently translated chapters. The story is decent so far and I like the characters, including the romantic interest. The one thing that worries me is that it's apparently an ongoing story with 3000+ loving chapters already written, which at the current translation rate of maybe ten chapters a week means it'd take, like, at least six years for this to get to the finish line. Stop padding, Chinese authors, yeesh.

man i wish someone would have the balls to go like super sci-fi xianxia

"captain's log, stardate 90163, as with the previous 900 years we are still being chased by a space wizard who wants to refine our ship into a magical treasure. in addition chief engineer radiant dawn won't stop barfing blood upon seeing the replicator's incredible heaven-defying properties, despite having seen them every single loving day before now"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

release that witch is p.good, if only for the scene where an old-timey alchemist discovers basic chemistry and has a lovecraftian meltdown

blastron posted:

I try very hard not to think about this.

your cultivation base will be enormous after you have achieved immortality in order to translate more webnovels for idiots on the internet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tobermory posted:

In the more recently translated chapters, it turns out that the Evil Empire they've been fighting unending war with for decades is literally the Japanese.

oh so it's irregular at magic high school, except chinese instead of japanese

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 21, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SerSpook posted:

agreed

in fact it's pretty damned annoying how, once someone ascends in stories like that, it turns out not just the starting planet but literally the entire universe (and eventually multiverse) are basically the same damned culture

don't forget all cultivators looking exactly the same

and not in a racist way, i mean they literally all look exactly the same and just have different brands of long black hair

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i snorted and slapped my bag of holding, and a magical treasure flew out of it to trigger libs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

what is a cultivator

kung-fu wizard trying to become immortal, 99% sociopathic assholes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Piell posted:

From the last time I explained what Xianxia was

the PC is generally more of an rear end in a top hat and just annihilates thousands of people for getting dirt on his shoes

this is portrayed as impressive and heroic, naturally

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulva posted:

I think the best part is how the path of cultivation is about breaking the limits of the world and surmounting mortality, and yet every single loving person we meet will be completely shocked that all conflict isn't a math equation that perfectly works out every single time. How can this person that hasn't even completed Core Formation defeat this Nascent Soul cultivator? I don't know jackass, maybe he used magic powers? Did you consider that? Maybe he's like one of the 15 other chosen you've probably mentioned up to this point and he has some ridiculous magic power and that's how he's handing you your rear end.

No, this is impossible, because in the path to overcoming the limits of the human body nobody can actually overcome the limits of the human body because caste system. And also we have no sense of time or memory, so when this character spends the next 500 years doing nothing but beating people stronger than him I will be completely shocked when it's my turn to taste the curb. Because the thing he's been doing for half the length of my life is completely impossible and never happens, except for all the times I've been told to my face it's happening.

Cultivation Chat Group plays with this as the protagonist has a couple decent one-use items and bluffs his rear end off with them, making his opponents think he's actually a mysterious genius expert and not a mid-tier dude just starting out

and sometimes people recognize how weak he is but also note that he probably has a reason to be confident so they become cautious

man ccg is good

e: though i'd love a xianxia novel that had the same tone as that post

"what's that rear end in a top hat from the blood fang sect doing"

"i dunno he's probably casting some stupid magic spell or whatever, who knows with this loving place"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 24, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cool, i'll have to check it out then. i'm not opposed to reading trashy wn's about some cool lady who reincarnates and starts kicking rear end, but those creepy loving love interests are ubiquitous in the genre. i guess that's the romantic ideal for the target audience?

tbf this is more or less a problem with romance novels as a whole rather than xianxia-specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

It's a 'problem' like violence in video games is a problem.

i'm not a "nice guy" who constantly rages about how women only love JERKS, but would it kill the male leads to be slightly less rapey

e: though this might be because i was reading novelupdates book descriptions for a laugh and like 90% of the female protagonist xianxia ones were "i reincarnated and became powerful but emperor creepy mcrape is all up in my business"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 25, 2018