Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno, maybe try reading a few chapters of the manga? they do a pretty good job of de-horrorfying a giant spider eating a bunch of weird bugs and animals.

It helps that they give her a cartoony shark-tooth mouth rather than the horrifying pincers that traumatised a generation of children who played SimAnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
This thread is really going places.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Risou no Himo Seikatsu got a manga adaptation. First couple pages are NSFW.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jon joe posted:

I doubt harem growth is for tension reasons in most of these LNs. Authors just have bigger fetish checklists, I imagine.

Sevens at least has internal tensions and the development of factions within the harem, plus the MC being distinctly unnerved by it outside of mr. lyle mode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
ISSTH seem to operate on Calvinball rules at this point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Namtab posted:

I'm going to check the taint book out

E: this appears to be weeb trash

LN reaped again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

UberJew posted:

You could tell an interesting story about the usual nonsense "only one out of a thousand will ever achieve the next level" by having the main character and also the entire cast that are relevant be people who can't do that

make it so that the story is about people and interests in the world and the weird distant higher level ones capable of just hiding from the world and caring about nothing for decades or centuries are more like natural disasters or enigmas to be survived or puzzled about

It's always a bit weird when the setting shifts from one where being Spirit Severing means you're a super-rare expert who has a whole society formed around you to one where every member of every clan is practically born at the Dao Seeking level, just by moving to another continent.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Destruction Flag Otome got a manga and the first chapter is up on batoto.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jwang posted:

That’s the one with Bakarina right? I remember it being good wholesome humor, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

Katerina Claes, determined to be good enough with a sword to fight off the guards inevitably sent to seize her, to be good enough with magic to be able to make a living after she's exiled, and to learn how to farm so she can be good at earth magic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
True men of culture are only impressed by profound cultivation bases.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Konstantin posted:

Why are Chinese webnovels almost always set in worlds that run on a system that is basically Social Darwinism? Even in traditional Confucian societies there is a basic obligation for the nobles to take care of the people who are under them, but in these novels everybody shits on people weaker than them without regard to loyalties. Kill someone in your clan who has a lower cultivation level and no powerful backer? They probably deserved it, and you'll get a slap on the wrist at most.

As far as I can tell this isn't unique to webnovels and predates them by a fair amount. Some old kung fu movies have something similar.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bakanogami posted:

I want someone to write a wn about whoever the truck driver is who goes around mowing down all these japanese teens and sending them to generic fantasy land

I thought there was one about a self-aware Truck-kun that was tasked with exactly that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's now an ISSTH manhua, wherein things will take a very long time to draw, but will have happened in just an instant!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cynic Jester posted:

The best part is all the readers complaining about the MC being a typical beta MC with no ambition, when the title translates to The ideal gigolo life.

He's married to hot royalty, he's kinda already reached the pinnacle and getting more ambitious has a decent chance of getting him killed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sandblast all the offensive things out of history, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When I was back in undergrad, the Victorian tendency to omit references to the unspeakable vice of the Greeks from their translations was considered a bad thing and a sign weakness in their beliefs. It's a bit weird to see that sort of behavior come roaring back as a sign of wokeness.

Chinese nationalism has been around in some form for millenia. If you can't bear to even mention it in their own works, you're not really engaging with the other culture.