Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

HiveCommander posted:

Machine translators suck a lot, I'd rather pay an actual human for their time than pay for some software that spits out sentences barely more legible than Google Translate (which is free).
I don't see anything wrong with having paypal donation links on their site and what have you; since people are using their own spare time to translate stuff for the rest of us, let alone the costs associated with website setup and hosting.

Unfortunately, some humans doing translations don't write much better than google translate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter 3 of honzuki manga is translated :swoon:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think main characters being unpleasant and selfish is a blocker to people reading WNs, it's just not the same type of unpleasant and selfish as what the readers of rape harems aspire to be.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

blastron posted:

I tick like four of those boxes. :(

All according to keikaku

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Has/is anyone reading kusuriya no hirogoto? I've started it and it seems decent, but it definitely has plenty of room to jump off of a cliff. Also the translator's insistence of using japanese honorifics in an apparently chinese setting is weird even if the the novel is written in japanese

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

OSO is great. The only niggle I have with it is how everyone views the skill with attack and defense buffs you can cast on anyone a low tier skill. It'd be so mandatory in a raid group in an actual MMO, but somehow the MC is the only one using it.

brainwrinkle posted:

I thought you had to use the Eagle Eye skill from archery to cast it on other people. Archery is considered really bad so people don’t bother. I really appreciate that the protagonist doesn’t give a poo poo about min maxing or profits, just hanging out with their friends.

The reason it is/was viewed as a garbage skill is that without another, also uncommon, skill you're basically limited to casting on people within arms reach. This makes it conflicting because backliners wouldn't want to be in arms reach of anything except other people in the back line, but front line people would be less effective at casting magic and would also have to give up other skills to take it. It just happens that the MC took all the skills required and they happen to work together well to a point where none of them are really wasted SP. This is a common theme for...basically every "bad" skill

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm looking for recommendations now. I've torn through most of the OP. Here's my list of Novel Updates if it helps. https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uid=103000

I read a bit of Everyone Else is a Returnee, and I think I might have liked it if the translation wasn't completely unreadable the whole way through. Had to drop it though. I'm going through The Girl Who Ate a Death God currently and am almost finished, it's been quite good in a macabre sort of way. I put aside Realist Hero because the start wasn't that interesting, but I could pick it up again if it gets good later. And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Note: I don't really find MMO stories very appealing, so unless it's particularly unique, I'm not interested in that particular subcategory.

Hopefully you have some good ones. I'd love some more stuff to waste time on.

Common sense has a prequel series about the mother https://www.novelupdates.com/series/common-sense-of-a-warrior/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Just spent the last few days reading through Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho. It's good! It reminds me of a kinda more serious and extreme Ascendance of a Bookworm, especially the later parts.

They have the same basic worldbuilding premise: a class of wizard nobles ruling over an uneducated muggle populace, who are faced with the problem of dwindling numbers of wizards. The difference is that Rirekisho cuts all the book parts and replaces it with an emphasis on class struggle.

I'll also give Rirekisho some extra points for actually having a very positive representation of a trans character, when most WNs use them as uncomfortable, unfunny jokes.

Is there still someone translating this? I was reading it a while ago but stopped when the translation stalled

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Argue posted:

I can't wait to see how that one guy in your comments section hates this chapter because of how unrealistically it portrays fantasy food culture

Mugs of :airquote:berea:airquote: :argh:

But seriously the weird alternate names for things throw me off when they're not explained as part of the narrative

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

blastron posted:

I've decided to drop Bookworm

:negative:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is the novel licensed? Hopefully someone picks it up either a non-garbage fan translator or an actual publisher. I know the manga got licensed recently at least

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Eiyuu no musume has really slow translations. I'm not sure I'd call it dropped, but there is one group that has been doing the manga + LN, but their pace so far is like 1 chapter of each every 1-2 months. The WN translation is more of a mess with 3 different groups having touched it, but one of the groups is claiming they'll do 1ch/mo but they're also going back and redoing all the chapters from ch1

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; it's always funny when people (like someone in the Slime thread) comment on how a particular isekai's protagonist is "different from that in a typical isekai," when in reality the "typical isekai protagonist" they describe literally doesn't exist, while there are countless ones similar to the one they're referring to.

Read the worst anime thread for some :munch:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Wonder if we'll get licensed LN translations for honzuki at some point. I'm not sure how I feel about an anime for it, since at least for the stuff that's been translated, i think the anime would be really boring. It just feels like something that's better to read than watch

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Argas posted:

Everything Blastron touches gets licensed.

If it means it gets translated quickly, I'm all for this.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yinlock posted:

my personal webnovel law of "avoid anything with some variation of the word "peerless" in it's title" remains flawless

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like if you have to filter the tag you should just remove it and strongly consider removing everything that has the tag

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Probably, it looks like they (barely) censored the tags for anything sexual too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah that's pretty common if you're talking about all the single lines, I'm not sure how much of it comes from the source material or from the translation. If you're talking about the use of the chinese/japanese quote marks that's also pretty common. It's hard to tell what is distracting for you because to me that just looks like a regular web novel translation

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Fallorn posted:

Never read the comments section on anything.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I read the first chapter or two of the manga and dropped it because it looked dumb

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

The story just took the "MC reinvents cooking/rice/shoes and gets celebrated as a hero" to a new peak.
Our hero is now in danger of being enobled for her introduction of athlete's foot treatments.

Pretty sure I've seen this in a different series, and they described it as solving a military problem. Presumably it was supposed to be a trench foot treatment or something but who knows :shrug:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao i eat tomatoes is so bad at science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

Amazon and Oracle wish they could be as intensely lovely as black companies.

I hear twitter is giving their best shot