Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The machine translations are terrible, but also like a thousand chapters ahead. I'm tempted to see if he FINALLY loving told someone he's dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I give The King's Avatar the credit of dropping the bullshit and just making a story about a dude that is playing a video game. Instead of bending your fantasy world to "I am stuck in a VR game" or "It has mechanics like a video game because evidently the gods are inexplicable bastards" it's just flat out a pro gamer playing a video game, and that's it. You are reading a story about a dude playing a video game. He's not even new to it or anything, it's just the story of some guy attempting to level back up to the top with a weird rear end class build in a video game he's already the best player in the world at because his retarded pro team dropped him because they are retarded. He doesn't even meaningfully have any opposition, because the pro team that dropped him loses to loving everybody and are poo poo without him. So you just have a dude that is awesome at a video game, which is evidently what the audience really wants.

Whatever, as long as it gets people reading.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And having caught up to that point in Kumoko you now know the title was being completely honest with you from the beginning. She's not a girl that was reincarnated into a spider. She's a spider, so what? She's not a completely screwed up human being, she's actually a fairly enlightened spider. The fact she cares as much as she does is fairly amazing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Arkeus posted:

Not in fantasy. A very small subset of super-edgy fantasy sometimes does it, but that's a small subset of a small subset of the genre.

I really think you are out of touch with how much of fantasy is still keyed in to the olden days when shirtless white guys with big swords completely brutalized the Jew Black perfidious ork because he was innately evil and had a hooked nose or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Argas posted:

Man, there's nothing else that can help me with my Bookworm fix is there?

Learn another language.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The most maliciously loving destructive enemy in A Will Eternal is a talking rabbit.

It never stops being funny.

It helps if you realize that A Will Eternal is, effectively, about Xianxia Young Frankenstein.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

blastron posted:

Woohoo! Now Deathblade can go back to translating A Will Eternal.

Well in a month or two, he wants to actually read the whole thing that's out there so he gets a better sense of the story and what things should be translated at. Still, ISStH ended strong with the origin of Lord Third. Truly, there is no one else who deserved the last word more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

good fanfiction

No.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

lol at badmouthing an entire field of amateur fiction in a thread dedicated to amateur fiction.

To be fair 90% of this thread is dedicated to badmouthing the things in this thread.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I want to read a story where the main character is reincarnated into a mmo, but it's an actual mmo where nobody really gives a poo poo about levels or gear except for like the 1% of players in top guilds and everyone else is just loving around.

e: "My godlike secret class makes me invincible, but griefers keep making dick statues outside my castle".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The MC finds a totally bullshit item that makes him invincible, but several hundred Russian money launderers and a bunch of Triads bought items that made them triple invincible from the pay shop.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yinlock posted:

cultivation chat group is absurdly good, and along with not being a sociopathic rear end in a top hat i enjoy how the main character isn't the unprecedented super-master of every single cultivation step

i mean yeah he goes through them pretty quick but he's just above-average, he has to rely on wacky shenanigans and bluffing his rear end off to win fights

also he tends to get dragged into ridiculous adventures by his bored, farmville-addicted seniors which leads to poo poo like initial d tractor dragracing

True Monarch White got teased for a real long time before he showed up, and it's like "Man, I wonder what his deal is going to be?" and then it's like "Yes, that was perfect.". That's pretty drat rare in any novel, let alone by the sketchy standards of web novels.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Like the entire last ending arc thing was largely tedious time wasting, but if the second to last chapter had the author only giving a thousandth a poo poo they did at the beginning, the last chapter feels like he gave as much less of a poo poo compared to the second to last. It's just "Well you're all hosed, guess this fight is over, also that's the end of the story". Like a good dozen characters that were important parts of the story before that point just disappeared for like the last hundred chapters. There's no touching base with them, there's no internal reflection about anything that's happening, there's no personal moments. Just wrapping things up in the most checkbox manner possible, without even pretending there are any stakes to any of it. It's real weird, and I wonder if they got burned out or if they wanted to move on to something new. Or if it was just insanely unpopular and not making money for them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I think the best part is how the path of cultivation is about breaking the limits of the world and surmounting mortality, and yet every single loving person we meet will be completely shocked that all conflict isn't a math equation that perfectly works out every single time. How can this person that hasn't even completed Core Formation defeat this Nascent Soul cultivator? I don't know jackass, maybe he used magic powers? Did you consider that? Maybe he's like one of the 15 other chosen you've probably mentioned up to this point and he has some ridiculous magic power and that's how he's handing you your rear end.

No, this is impossible, because in the path to overcoming the limits of the human body nobody can actually overcome the limits of the human body because caste system. And also we have no sense of time or memory, so when this character spends the next 500 years doing nothing but beating people stronger than him I will be completely shocked when it's my turn to taste the curb. Because the thing he's been doing for half the length of my life is completely impossible and never happens, except for all the times I've been told to my face it's happening.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree he shouldn’t try so hard it makes him look bad.

Trying to tie Victorian ways to lovely web novels just makes you look bad and not very bright.

It's you isn't, you are the translator.

It's the only thing that isn't mental illness that explains why you care so much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
No.

Make me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And yours means you've gone 7 years not being interesting enough to piss someone off.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's like 5 different skeleton warrior series to choose from

Are *any* of them good?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

FrantzX posted:

Am I the only one here reading Way of Choices? I would think for all the complaints in this thread, a story like this would be mentioned more often.

There's not a lot to say about really good stories. They are really good and you wish they updated more. Even Way of Choices, which is twice daily.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I don't know, I think it's kind of cool how he got almost literally everything that is going on wrong. That in itself is almost impressive.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You have to respect a main character who can get people to stop, realize they've seen him practice his "Heroically standing around looking off to the distance" move, and have to deal with the horrifying reality that it's going to work anyways.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fallorn posted:

It almost feels as if the MC is a creature from the "mythos" (Cthulhu and stuff) shoved into the body of a teenage girl who is trying to be normal.
Where Kumoko was a kinda normal girl who was put into a spider body and dealt with the loneliness and insanity the best she could.

......yeah about Kumoko, how much of that story have you read?

No reason I'm asking, just wondering if you'd want to revisit that statement at some point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Is botting a thing that happens in rankings? I feel like some writer/publisher would drop a weeks pay on bot farms to jack ratings and hope it snags in enough people to be worth it in the long run. Because it may be a genre and system that is filled with mediocrity and outright terrible fan fiction, but there's still better fan fiction to be found than some of the poo poo in the top ten.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Yinlock posted:

there's also a lot of fun worldbuilding and making GBS threads on standard murder-hobos, like there's buddhist sects that cultivate "virtue" and being obnoxiously evil will have a thousand bald glowing men descend upon you to lead you back to the right path and exorcise all your ghosts

I think the best part is seemingly the entire universe pushing him into being exactly the type of cultivator he thinks is lame. To the point shenanigans have him end up bald and in a kashaya. The only sword move he can learn ends up being a Western paladin type deal, which he still jumps on because he's seemingly incapable of finding any other to work with him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

qidian underground is now being redirected to kobeshops.com or something. I'm pretty sure it's dead.

?
https://qidianunderground.org/toc/ still works for me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Here's a challenge for you: Name some series that have ended, and ended....well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I can only think of one off-hand where the MC quit with some kind of modest savings. Of course he then immediately ends up working for a new company run by the Demon King’s army.

I mean to be fair the unbelievable part of that description to most people isn't the demon king part, and having the dedication and skills to make that happen while working an absolutely bottom of the barrel poo poo job is very much MC material.