Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

In Honzuki, the main character doesn't even know they have powers for a while, because it manifests as an illness. I'm not far enough to say if her powers are unique among the people of that world but nearly a hundred chapters in all we really know about her powers is "she has mana." She's successful because she's basically a walking encyclopedia, and applies her earth knowledge to stuff.

Whether or not she's a nice person might be arguable, but she's not psychotic (although in the early chapters she had a yandere vibe that she eventually seems to ditch). She certainly tries to be considerate of others, at least, much to her own inconvenience.

To some extent, it's still a power fantasy though the power of money :getin:

I've already read it, but I don't think it meets my criteria (not to say it isn't a good story, though). Her "power" is her earth knowledge, which is unique and overpowered in the context of the story, and is pretty clearly THE reason she's successful in any way. The reason it's a good story anyway is the knowledge being incomplete causes her as many problems as it solves. It's just not the story I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I think 'stuck in a timeloop' counts as a special ability. Honestly, you're going to have a hard time finding stories where the protagonist has absolutely no advantages, because if they didn't, then some random extra could duplicate their feats and do the job better than them. About the closest you're going to come is a story where the protagonist has above-average will power and is willing to go through some extremely strenuous training that anyone is theoretically capable of doing, but most would consider too painful to attempt.

Then I'm thinking action stories are probably a no-go.

Are there any good drama web novels.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

I have one WN that I've been reading for a while that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite. I think it's held up pretty well so far. A man gets reincarnated as a slums child and ends up serving as the butler to a pair of noble siblings. It's a game world, but it's not a game he was familiar with so he doesn't realize it until later, and those noble children end up being the designated petty villains that get taken out by the protagonist before dealing with the demon lord. It doesn't have levels or stats and actually does something with the idea of being a character in a game with a pre-determined plot. I find it changes things up enough to avoid getting stale and there are some significant events with real consequences.

This had some rocky parts near the start, but this it improved into one of the best things I've read so far. Currently on chapter 34.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

more Rags

*nods fervently*

Every single Rags chapter is about the best.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Arbitrary Number posted:

It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped. It can't be helped.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

Anyone want to weigh in on how I should translate the title of this wn?
Japanese is: 異世界でもふもふなでなでするためにがんばってます
Straight translation: Doing My Best for Snuggles and Petting in the Otherworld

Possibilities: Working Hard for Snuggles in the Otherworld
Doing My Best to Snuggle Everything in the Otherworld
Working Hard for Otherworld Snuggles

Alternatives welcome. The story is about a person reborn as a kid in an Otherworld whose only ambition is petting/snuggling with every fantasy creature ever.

I Was A Touchless Virgin Who Reincarnated, So Let's Snuggle Everything!
Otherworldly Cuddling With Cute Critters
Reincarnated Kid Must Cuddle Cute Critters
Motivation for Snuggling: Hellhounds, Dragons, and Skeletons, Oh My!
So what if my only dream is to hug fantasy creatures?!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Home is Where the Hug is: Another World and Working Hard!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Live Fast, Hug Hard

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Speaking of which, Zhu Yao loving calls out a whole genre:

My Disciple Died Yet Again is real good

Holy hell that's nice, I need to go back and continue reading that series. I can't wait for the eventual shift in Xianxia where the majority of authors start recognizing and subverting these trends.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Of my recommendations "death flags show no signs of ending" could be removed, at least as far as my opinion goes. I stopped reading it and no one discusses it.

One to add would be Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite. Maybe someone else who has read it can do a better job selling it than I can.

A man gets reincarnated as a slums child and ends up serving as the butler to a pair of noble siblings. It's a game world, but it's not a game he was familiar with so he doesn't realize it until later, and those noble children end up being the designated petty villains that get taken out by the protagonist before dealing with the demon lord. It doesn't have levels or stats and actually does something with the idea of being a character in a game with a pre-determined plot. I find it changes things up enough to avoid getting stale and there are some significant events with real consequences that you rarely see in the genre.

Yeah, I said before, but I think that's a good series. I second this recommendation.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the new Web Serial thread:

I'm going to recommend The Dao of Magic, an english xianxia love letter written primarily in a stream-of-consciousness style, about an absurdly powerful "brain" cultivator that is smited by gods down to a lower realm with magic instead of qi. He needs to rebuild his foundation from scratch while preventing a qi-based apocalypse, with the help of some disciples. I think the non-MC characterization is weak, but I still find it to be a gripping series.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

I am supremely amused by the internal shouting to do stuff.

gently caress OFF NEWTON. GO UP, NOT DOWN!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Arkeus posted:

I tried that, but I got really annoyed very quickly at how self absorbed the whole thing was.

The MC spent a thousand years in another world before, but still constantly think about newton/einstein/earth sport teams/etc. He doesn't even know the name of the world he spent 1000 years in... but talks about how he spent all his time there 'learning everything he could'. I'm not sure if it's on purpose either, but he basically makes all the usual assumptions about "doing things randomly is obviously the optimal way to go" and always seemed to be right about random guesses in the past, and continues to seem to be so now.

As for the plotting/story, it just seems to be all about gloating on how much smarter he is than others, and it appears to read more as a basement-dwelling nerd thinking how much better he is than everyone else and how he understands the world better without ever connecting to anyone than anything else.

Self-absorbed is probably a great word for it, yeah. I would say I find it amusingly self-absorbed, though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

actually, it is both.

Web Novel megathread: Bad Stories, Worse Readers

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

sunken fleet posted:

It's a weirdly popular premise. I guess authors think its more legit for their self-inserts to poo poo all over their High School bullies if the bullies first literally attempt to kill them. Personally I don't understand the appeal of having High School bullies in your High Fantasy story in the first place.

it was easy for the author to think about and write

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think it’s just #s and stat blocks are an easy way to meet character counts, then when the stories started being translated, inspired authors just copied them

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

alchemy shenanigans have begun again in a will eternal.

Have they caught up to the old translation?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

devildragon777 posted:

They passed it some time ago, actually.

Oh good, I can finally start reading again!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

the heat goes wrong posted:

Just want a little taste? Not enough time to read a full book?
How about a short story?
Houseplants of Gor

This is what Gor books looks like. Gor is bad. Don´t read Gor.

I don’t know what Gor is, but based on that story I can take a few guesses.

Now if you’d excuse me, I need to scrub my brain.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the murder stuff could be better done if there were proper consequences for that stuff and characters couldn’t just unleash apocalypses against your entire clan because you farted on their dog.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

it's perfect

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Do other Xianxia like A Will Eternal have more developed cultivation/arts systems and good fight scenes? I ask because MDDYA has what seems to be a very simplified cultivation/arts system (since the focus of the series isn't combat) and was wondering if the cool fight scenes and system in the English-language Forge of Destiny were just uncommon.

edit: Speaking of MDDYA, it's sad that Zhu Yao forgot about Wang Xuzhi. That death actually felt pretty impactful and sad, I think because the series just don't have many main characters (and because the set-up was the sort of thing where he would be revealed to have survived in most other series).

Most Xianxia have the exact same system with slightly different names. All you generally need to know is that later levels of cultivation are always better than former levels, excepting mythical techniques or lucky-find artifacts that enhance your fighting ability beyond your cultivation.

quote:

With a flick of his sleeve, Qun Xo caused all the gathered experts to vomit blood!

"Is this really the power of Foundation Establishment?" asked the eldest cultivator.

"Artifact, it's definitely an artifact. This brat is lucky," laughed a fatty as he wiped the blood from his mouth.

"It's not! I recognize this technique, it's the Muddied Water Sect's weakest technique, the technique called 'Translation Flows Like Mud'!"

"What, he cultivated Translation Flows Like Mud to that extent?"

Every expert vomited another mouthful of blood. If this was what Qun Xo could do with such a trash technique, his future was as limitless as the heavens!

Xuanhuan typically has more varied power systems.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

Is there no cultivation technique that cures stomach ulcers?

To do so would be to go against the will of the heaven and earth.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 2, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

You could tell an interesting story about the usual nonsense "only one out of a thousand will ever achieve the next level" by having the main character and also the entire cast that are relevant be people who can't do that

make it so that the story is about people and interests in the world and the weird distant higher level ones capable of just hiding from the world and caring about nothing for decades or centuries are more like natural disasters or enigmas to be survived or puzzled about

I'm working on... something similar to that idea.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*throws out an attack that is the size of the planet*

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Do any of these 'omg-sucked-into-my-video-game' stories ever feature a protagonist who's stuck with his dumbass memelord screen-name? Usual power fantasy or whatever, except the entire slave harem refers to him as 'Weedboner Hitler-sama~'

Korea's most popular video game story's MC is named Weed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fatty.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I read this garbage because of the insane premises, yeah. The worst ones are the ones that don’t give their premise full exposure and end up devolving into generic anime poo poo, e.g. in another world with a smartphone

Also, sometimes even though the writing is bad, the farce is good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any hot new pickups? I tried Overgeared recently, being highly ranked on novel updates, but it’s worse than bland.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

don't believe that claim. chapter 90 or so is when the mc goes from an unlucky creep to a fabulously wealthy powergamer that all women desperately lust after because of his amazing game skills despite him not actually having any particular talent. he still uses his stupidly unbalanced class as a crutch 100% of the time.

I actually read well past 90 and this 100% true

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I get those too, on my phone, for wuxiaworld. Such a shame it makes the site literally unreadable on mobile.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Hm! Are there any other fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't a. overpowered and b. a piece of poo poo?

I think this has been asked enough now that the thread title could be Web Novel megathread: are there stories where the protagonist isn’t an overpowered piece of poo poo?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Xianxia but less daoism.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

let me guess, the love interest is royalty, impossibly pretty and disturbingly possessive and controlling?

how did he know the core of my millennia old legacy technique?!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

sunken fleet posted:

Also there's this hilarious misunderstand comedy called To be a power in the shadows that I found the other day. It's really funny, with the same sort of humor as Tiliea's Worries if you're familiar with that one - and it's been updating daily recently. It's the story of a boy who dreams of becoming more powerful than a Taepodong (which is a North Korean ICBM) and I highly recommend it, been checking it daily for a week now.

This is cute. Not fancy, but cute.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Qidian has a new story about a dude who gets a mystical book that can make him awesome at anything and the first page he unlocks is scallion pancakes which everyone reacts to like it’s sex, drugs, and rock and roll all mixed into one.

At least it’s not racist, yet.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

Daddy's Fantasy World Restaurant

...System basically being a punishment forcing him to come good

Um

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Webnovel dot com (Qidian) released a new platform last month for releasing English original web novels. There’s the normal version where you just use it as a platform for your story, keep the copyright, and might get paid some pittance if you’re lucky, and then there’s a contract version where you sign over the copyright, get paid a minimum of 400 dollars a month (more if you’re popular), oh and their minimum monthly word output is 120,000. 120,000 words. Per. Month.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for this beautiful entry in the God drat Candy Catalog for Wayward Web Novels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Web Novel megathread: The only redeeming feature of this stuff is that it is (was) free