Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the weird thing is that before they get everything immediately handed to them there's sometimes a brief period where they are actually underpowered and things are genuinely interesting

this usually lasts maybe 4 chapters though

chat group at least has him consistently out of his league

i mean its obvious nothing too bad is gonna happen since its a comedy story

and the biggest challenges are less beating up enemies and more putting up with the insane rear end in a top hat wizards who are ostensibly on his side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there's like 340 of them with human translations on webnovel.com

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

so its like goblins the webcomic then?

:sadfan:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chronische posted:

i dislike when they spare enemies, kill all!

kill the animals

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think changing the content of someone else's work to fit your own tastes goes too far. at that point, just write your own dang story.

localization is a thing

going one step further and adding your own poo poo willy nilly is how we got aladdin so

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

khy posted:

Pizza isekai when?

Isekais are competent only by contrast with the rest of the setting

Every other character:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the very limited reference pool for wn authors also makes their versions of fantasy worlds kinda funny

i ended up noping out of bookworm though once we find out this dirt-poor peasant family lives in a third story apartment with individual bedrooms for all their kids

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

darkgray posted:

Not sure how you got this impression. Here's an illustration of their home:

The higher up you live, the more stairs you need to walk up/down to bring home water from the well, so it's not exactly luxurious to live above ground.

I checked and the first couple chapters definitely mention there being multiple bedrooms

might have been something that the author silently retconned, dunno. been quite a while and I don't remember all the details

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 9, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Argue posted:

Is there an isekai for someone who dies and is reincarnated as an SA forums account

And he can only communicate via the screams of the damned

LoB's origin story

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

just add a couple details: make her a slave, make the protagonist froce her to strip so he can see more of her body so he can see her mana color, and I think you too could make 400/month

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just train a neural net on every first chapter, have it write chapter 1, spend 5 minutes editing it, use a new net for every second chapter, etc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i'd sooner read the magical rape fantasy than bleach fan fiction

bleach is just discount xianxia. Replace a couple terms like 'shikai' with 'core formation' or whatever and you're done

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Here, something actually good to read.

Yes, even given the setting.

And it fills that "MC who isn't overpowered without it turning into Grimgar" request from a few pages back.

quick check: didn't see any rape, the main character is a BDSM lesbian maid instead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BadMedic posted:

I decided to calculate how much stuff costs at webnovel.com, and I'd like to start off by telling bullshit microtransaction currencies to gently caress off for forcing me to use a spreadsheet to calculate how much poo poo actually costs.

So, to start off:
  • webnovel.com uses spirit stones as their internet funbucks.
  • Depending on how many you buy at once, you get 50 to 65 stones per USD.
  • You get ~20 spirit stones per day for using the site.
  • Paywalled chapters costs 10 spirit stones on average.
  • Novels tend to release 2 chapters a day, or 12-14 chapters a week.*

Putting that all together, you basically get to read 1 novel for free, and have to pay for every novel after that. Assuming you buy spirit stones in the largest amounts possible, it costs at minimum $8 per novel per month, or $96 per novel per year to keep up, not including periodic mass releases.

That just seems insane to me, paying nearly the cost of netflix to read a single webnovel.

*I didn't bother collecting much data, I just based it on the 3 novels I follow.

lol just make an alt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and i must meme posted:

Why do some translators use Japanese style quotation marks (「」) in place of English style ("") for dialogue?

It's something I used to see in LN translations years ago, and I've seen it in a few WN translations too.

Because it's a 「cheap trick」 to make stand names look cooler.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wacky races finally started in cultivation chat group

if anyone is having trouble visualizing the tractors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHLVd3iEIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCtW5Sda_Ig&t=82s

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 24, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In this situation the traditional solution is just to have the uppercrust speak in perfect iambic pentameter

It can't be that hard to do, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-am-my-wife/ This guy goes back in time and marries himself like that futurama move except it's completely serious I think.

all you zombies

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Finally we bnovels are high art

https://www.webnovel.com/book/9545213205003105/I-Can-Turn-into-a-Fish

I Can Turn into a Fish

Realistic Fiction

Synopsis

A chance to change, to challenge destiny, making dreams a reality, and live a legend! A regular man gains a system that allows him to turn into a fish!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

All true, but the way this is presented presented in RTW is interesting. Our protagonist doesn't infer or deduce that the church is malign- he takes it as axiomatic that it would be. He is not at all surprised to find the church burning witches- as far as he is concerned that's just what religion is about. He reads like someone who has been raised to believe this and read the entirety of human history through that lens. Which- I mean, I am not at all familiar with what China teaches its children about religion, but I would not be surprised to discover that it was exactly that.

And that's fine, really- it's entirely reasonable to have someone who thinks like that be your protagonist. Where RTW starts to lose the plot a bit is in that everyone else in the story happily goes along with him. He just turns around one day and goes "we're going to break with the church and all established doctrine in order to consort with the literal forces of Evil" and all his advisors and aides- none of whom share the benefit of his 21st century vantage point on the history of societal development, none of whom trust his ability to leave or even like him all that much- just fall in line. There is no sense that anyone in this setting has any sort of real religious faith, or that the church is a fundamental pillar of society and the psychologies of the people residing within it. It is, in a word, unreal. The author, I suspect, has a fair understand of religion as an abstract concept but no experience of the actual emotional reality of it.

To be fair, that's not an uncommon problem in fantasy stories, but it's rare for them to lean quite so heavily on it.

They are now running a paid RTW fanfic contest if you want to potentially get paid for putting way more thought into the setting than the author did

https://activity.webnovel.com/essay/2

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isekai transporter updated last week.

That's the manga about the guy who drives the isekai truck.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 22, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sometimes you get terrible garbage that's fun to read! I'm sure that used to be a thing that happened and I didn't hallucinate it

theres that fish story

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

as far as I can tell Ling Qi basically has no agency in what arts she uses, 90% of it is just whatever the dice give her, so it's sorta pointless to complain about them

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most people just make a new alt account for each premium story that they follow, and use the free spirit stones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

you can tell how amazing a plant is by 1. how rare it is and 2. how many adjectives are in the name

there's no such thing as an endangered species that isn't wonderfully effective when snorted

that's why they're endangered

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Which mmo was the wacky one where you paid for your account with subway gift cards?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't remember the name -its one of the old super griefable games goons loved. It was wuxia themed. There was a lot of politicking in who ruled various sects and an ongoing snobs vs slobs fight with goons against the Vietnamese people who knew how them game actually worked (since the English server was a poorly translated localization of a Chinese game, and several major updates behind)

one of the best goon strategies was to chug booze like a frat bro so that you'd have a high alcohol tolerance, and if you threw up the cone of projectile vomit would be essentially pure alcohol, instantly incapacitating any of the lightweights.

Then when that other player was in a drunken stupor you could castrate them and sell them into slavery for profit.

That player would then be locked into eunuch kung fu classes until they could do a long series of quests to magically get their junk back.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

" All ss revenue will be for paying ss only, any free will not generate any money for you."

This explains a lot, actually. Users get free ss every day, which get used before the paid ones. Money wise, this helps with the ideal case for qidian - people buy paid stones, then don't use them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there's a twist partway through

the protagonist thinks that only him and the wn's author know what's going to happen,

but there's a third person omniscient

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In this case, the traditional Cheat Item is having a few dozen guys :spergin: about her cultivation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's okay, then Senior White shows up and it's amazing from then on.

everyone I've recommended it to has said it had kinda started to drag and run out of steam, around twenty chapters before white shows up

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cultivation.txt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu_IDIVoZ2Q

Ryan north does a great bit about low hanging fruit inventions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dug back in the thread to find this for Blastron

darkgray posted:

I think I can recommend Maou wa Sekai wo Seifuku Suru You Desu now. I've just caught up with the latest chapter, which is a terrifying cliffhanger that left me with sweaty palms, so it's maybe the worst timing to bring it up, but it's pretty dang good!

The setup is that a Japanese man in his 30s drowns saving a girl, and gets reborn in a world filled with people who fly giant eagles and other mystical creatures, as a humanoid with long ears.

This would make it the same as any other isekai story, but what's different here is that this world has no magic. And one night watching the stars, he is shocked to recognise the constellations, leading to the baffling discovery that this world is seemingly shaped just like earth, and his nation is located in what we know as Scandinavia!

He sets out to use his vast knowledge as a former-life researcher to advance technology in this 16th century Europe-equivalent, in order to save his people from the invading Crusade made up of another humanoid species and spurred on by a religion eerily similar to Christianity, bent on literally eradicating the "northern demons".

It's got the usual nobles and academies and clashing armies, with plenty of inventing goods for wealth, and charming pretty ladies. Yet it does so in careful detail, with a protagonist that somehow doesn't induce nausea in spite of being wiser than wikipedia, so it's quite enjoyable, even if annoyingly slow at times. Prose is decent too, by Narou standards.

Currently there's roughly 2000 pages of material out, and it feels like the author has made it about a third through the entire story so far, though who knows when or if it will ever end. It had a long break recently, but is back in reasonably fast release pace now, thankfully. Can't find any translation, I'm afraid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As far as people can tell, there actually isn't actually an Isekai without some sort of twist on the formula.

I hear Mark Twain wrote one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Similarly there's an archetypal fantasy cliche of a princess getting kidnapped by a dragon and rescued by a knight, who she marries, which I literally cannot recall ever having been played straight.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just use Amber Diceless.

Unspent xp is literally 'good fortune', and the stat system is 100% based on the ranking of players relative to each other, and not against the rest of the world.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Piell posted:

No one should ever use Amber

Having the players decide their starting stats with a bidding war is cool and good :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As far as Er Gen goes, don't even bother with Renegade Immortal. The protagonist gets a powerup right at the start that makes him able to beat anyone of the same level with absolutely no effort, with the "drawback" that it makes it harder to level up.

Which means there's no interesting shenanigans or fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The real broken stuff is the spell making in Morrowind.

If you went back and forth in daggerfall character creation you could keep chalking up unlimited one-time bonuses because it didn't remove them properly when you clicked 'cancel'.