Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Ze TIan Ji, or Way of Choices, is the only one of all these stories with actually good prose, something evident despite the shoddy translation. The characters are also complex and mostly three-dimensional, the protagonist is very likable and a good person and the world-building is fantastic. Even the fights, which are rarer than most novels of its kind, are usually interesting to read and not the usual xianxia crap.

tldr, Ze Tian Ji is written like an actual fantasy novel and more people should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Should I check out Dungeon Defense? It's not in the OP, but people elsewhere seem to like it.

Neurophage fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 7, 2016

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
I like World of Cultivation and don't find reading it particularly more bothersome than most xianxia novels. It helps that the translation, other than the bafflingly untranslated terms, is mostly above average for the genre. Anyway, it's still more readable than, say, the Turb0 translation of Kumoko or most baka-tsuki novels.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Book 6 of ISSTH has ended with the great revelation of the identity of the First Patriarch. I love the ridiculous scale of this story.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like how pissed off he is about all of the random bullshit he got dragged into

Hopefully the clan will reimburse him for all the precious resources he spent in the war. Not to mention the psychological damage.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

DeafAsianQT posted:

Skyfire Ave has a really slow and odd start (lots of talk about wine, etc the first few chapters) but then picks up
It's very bland and it begins with an accidental rape. I wouldn't recommend it.

What happened to Douluo Dalu, btw? It used to be one of the most popular translated novels, but it seems to have disappeared from any discussions. I think it was the first CN I tried to read, about a year ago.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
“My heart grows cold with disappointment to be manipulated by the clan like this!” Meng Hao said, gnashing his teeth.

Fang Shoudao waved his finger at Meng Hao, causing a warm feeling to spread across his chest and over his heart.

“Feel a bit warmer now?” he said coolly.

ISSTH owns.

Also, the Douluo Dalu guy made Heavenly Jewel Change, which is pure garbage.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Algid posted:

Way of Choices is so good. It's like ATTE in that the MC wants to become immortal in order to not die. The writing is way better than most webnovels, it's doesn't have any xianxia cliches or it uses them completely differently. The story is also structured more coherently instead of being granular and repetitive (cycles of upgrades in levels and gear with a matching escalation of feuds/enemies).

It's getting a live-action adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5gOf2lVI4

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Has anyone read Beseech the Devil? How is it compared to the other Er Gen novels?

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Er Gen's Xian Ni(Renegade Immortal) is far more comprehensible now, after a semi-competent retranslation. It's still almost impossible to sympathise with the protagonist, who's like an evil, more boring version of Meng Hao, but the story becomes markedly better after the corpse sect.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

jon joe posted:

Are there any stories where:

1) The protagonist doesn't have any special powers compared to others (or if they do, it's not what makes them successful)
2) The protagonist is legitimately a good person

The closest I've seen was early Ze Tian Ji, but even that was stretching the first requirement

The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Are there any good korean webnovels other than dungeon defense?

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Something that's
a)well-translated
b)not featuring the reincarnated protagonist dunking on his high school classmates/humiliating shallow women
c)not about people literally playing video games

For instance, other than dungeon defense, I've also found reincarnator to be pretty decent.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks! Everyone Else is a Returnee seems interesting and has a lot of translated chapters. I'll check it out.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Irisize posted:

Man, ISSTH was so close to getting back on its feet and at least being something I at least wanted to see progress, but it just completely stumbled.

No, you see committing genocide is actually good, because

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for the recommend of Sovereign, I definitely need something that isn't garbage on my usual list. Except for ZTJ, I'm up-to-date on Kenkyo, and Cultivation Chat Group, which got picked up by someone else after it was recently dropped.

SOTR is actually pretty bad. Try My Disciple Died Yet Again or A Will Eternal if you want something that's not garbage.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
By the way, for anyone that's interested, I Shall Seal the Heavens is finally fully translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Megazver posted:

I can't say it's bad by any means, but I must admit it's starting to bore me. I think I've derived all the enjoyment I ever will out of it, so I'll move on to something else.

You should read until the end of book 1.